IGNORED

9 Out Of The Starting 11...

spudski

...Right, this isn't about Racism or anything like that, so don't no one go twisting this.

But, i was just thinking about the starting line up for tomorrow, and i think it's quiet possible, that in the starting line up we could have 9 out of the starting 11, as 'non white' players. Woolford and Clarkson the only 2.

Is that the most ever, for a City team?

Just goes to show how as a nation we are becoming so multi cultural.

Like i say, don't anyone go twisting this, it was just an observation, and we know how sensitive subjects like this can be.

But, i was just thinking about the starting line up for tomorrow, and i think it's quiet possible, that in the starting line up we could have 9 out of the starting 11, as 'non white' players.

Have to agree with Riaz. I can't say I noticed either.

Is it worth pointing out that statically approx 1% of the starting 11 is homosexual and that 1% have an alcohol/drug misuse issue?

No? I didn't think so

Is it worth pointing out that statically approx 1% of the starting 11 is homosexual and that 1% have an alcohol/drug misuse issue?

No? I didn't think so

Has to be Woolfords hair.

No? I didn't think so

Yeah but those are stats, not factually accurate figures about our starting 11. It was an observation as the OP said.

I don't care what colour they are, where there from or their beliefs!

I just hope they put on that famous shirt on with pride!

Same here mate... I hope people don't take this thread out of context. We are all different, that's what makes the world such a great place. But i'm sure if there were 9 Chinese players playing for us tomorow, people would notice. Like i said, it was just an observation. Quiet possibly in the near future, we could have a full starting 11 of non white players. If players are good enough, it's good enough for me. :cool:

It did occur to me, whether there has ever been a starting 11, that has never included a white player, in a British team.

In the same way, it would be quiet unusual to have a full starting line up of white players in an African or South American or Chinese Football Team...wouldn't you agree.

Same here mate... I hope people don't take this thread out of context. We are all different, that's what makes the world such a great place. But i'm sure if there were 9 Chinese players playing for us tomorow, people would notice. Like i said, it was just an observation. Quiet possibly in the near future, we could have a full starting 11 of non white players. If players are good enough, it's good enough for me. :cool:

It did occur to me, whether there has ever been a starting 11, that has never included a white player, in a British team.

In the same way, it would be quiet unusual to have a full starting line up of white players in an African or South American or Chinese Football Team...wouldn't you agree.

Again not wishing this to be a racial observation, but the Wigan Athletic team of last season included only one white player.Paul Sharner I believe.

...Right, this isn't about Racism or anything like that, so don't no one go twisting this.

But, i was just thinking about the starting line up for tomorrow, and i think it's quiet possible, that in the starting line up we could have 9 out of the starting 11, as 'non white' players. Woolford and Clarkson the only 2.

Is that the most ever, for a City team?

Just goes to show how as a nation we are becoming so multi cultural.

Like i say, don't anyone go twisting this, it was just an observation, and we know how sensitive subjects like this can be.

Yep - that is an interesting observation. Those of us who followed footie in the 70s will remember the stick the black players got because there were so few of them. Clyde Best at West Ham was probably better known for being a black footballer than being a footballer, and there was no end of fuss about Viv Anderson becoming the first black player to play for England.

There certainly was a lot of racist chanting aimed at black players in the 70s and into the 80s - John Barnes famously got a banana chucked at him by an Everton fan during a Merseyside derby and it's a fact that Everton had never signed a black player until the 90s (make of that what you will).

I can still recall City fans chanting 'Zigger, zagger zigger, Palace got a n*gger' at an away game at Selhurst Park in the early 80s - probably aimed at Vince Hillare. Pig ignorance on behalf of the City fans but at the time we had no black players on our books and there was still plenty of prejudice around.

In reality now, nobody gives a stuff what colour our players - or anybody else's - are because the sheer number of black players in the four top divisions has long since made any attempt to single them out for abuse on grounds of their colour a complete nonsense (as well as being moronic and offensive). They will still get abuse if their appearance is out of the ordinary - that striker who played for Forest a few seasons ago (name escapes me) who got the 'pineapple on his head' chant might have argued that his afro hair was being 'racially abused' but in reality Robbie Savage gets just as much stick for having long, blonde girly hair - odd hair/no hair etc gets you stick, whether you are black or white.

They will still get abuse if their appearance is out of the ordinary - that striker who played for Forest a few seasons ago (name escapes me) who got the 'pineapple on his head' chant might have argued that his afro hair was being 'racially abused' but in reality Robbie Savage gets just as much stick for having long, blonde girly hair - odd hair/no hair etc gets you stick, whether you are black or white.

Jason Lee

Thanks Cotswold - that's the guy. Absolute rubbish as I recall, but I think he was playing in a pretty poor Forest team at the time.

I think its been said at least a few times that the constant abuse he received affected him quite badly - meaning he was not as successful as he might otherwise have been.

I think its been said at least a few times that the constant abuse he received affected him quite badly - meaning he was not as successful as he might otherwise have been.

Strange that, cos as I recall the abuse he got was always about his hair, not his colour, and it was presumably his choice to wear his hair like that?

He wasn't good enough full stop constant abuse Cole at Chelsea has had constant abuse since the idiot said he was not on enough money, since that comment he has become one of the best left backs in the world imo, Beckham the abuse he got for 18 months after the red card against Argentina before he became a darling of this country. I watch the interview with him and his wife get on with it, the abuse MP's get every-week it's life get on with it.

could not care what skin colour, religion, sexual preference they have.

juding by some people's comments so far, this is similar to a south park episode that I watched the other day with the South Park Flag when they tried to argue that it should be changed.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_G_N1A86qGLE/RkuxWYiHs1I/AAAAAAAAAA8/C70STcQR56w/s320/fic-spk1.gifchef (black guy for those who dont watch it) asked the kids to campaign to change the flag, the children say it shows them as a violent town and a history of capital punishment. Chef argues with the children because they got it wrong and that their arguement should not be based on that but because it is 4 white people hanging a black person. But the children just see 5 people and dont notice the skin colour. Chef then apologises as he said it was him being racist.

Of course it does not matter what race the players are, but people should'nt be scared of mentioning things like this also. Just because someone notices or makes comment that we have mostly black/dark skinned players does not make them in any way racist.

The Villa side of the early 90s often featured a majority of black players (Dalian Atkinson, Tony Daley, Paul McGrath, etc), but I'm not sure that they ever fielded an entire eleven of non-white players.

Archived