IGNORED

New Stadium And Resignation Timing

Redland

Am I the only one concerned about the timing of SL's resignation in terms of its effect upon the new stadium? Having obtained planning permission for the stadium and also for Sainsbury's to redevelop Ashton Gate the only remaining obstacle is the TVG application. If I was one of the TVG applicants I would delighted by the news of SL's resignation as evidence that he is either beginning to recognise the possibility of defeat or alternatively no longer has the stomach for a long drawn out legal battle and is therefore passing the mantle to someone else. Surely if SL was confident that the stadium could be delivered in the immediate future, with construction starting in the summer, he would see this project through to the finish.

I know in the press conference that SL states that stadium will be built but to be fair he can hardly admit to anything else and there was no reference to a timescale other than the fact that the club is frustrated by the continued delays.

Since we remain in mediation I hope the TVG applicants are not encouraged by this news and therefore feel less inclined to compromise.

I know in the press conference that SL states that stadium will be built but to be fair he can hardly admit to anything else and there was no reference to a timescale other than the fact that the club is frustrated by the continued delays

His statement that the stadium 'will be built' was enough to convince me that Steve Lansdown know something that we don't but for confidentiality reason can't disclose it. Have faith!

No, they have to negotiate with the landowner directly, which is Steve. He had face to face meetings with them because thats the way it has to work legally.

My bad. Although that still doesn't change anything. He could work as a meet and greet in B&Q, he'd still own the land.

The fact talks are ongoing despite the incorrect report last week is a huge bonus. One would hope and assume the successful planning application for Sainsburys has given the NIMBYS a reality check and they'll take whatever they can from these consultations and then disappear

Didn't he say his son John owns the land at AV

I believe they both do and I don't think Steve's decision affects the TVG app either way.

I think Steve and everyone at the club want the negotiations to work because that's best for all concerned, the happiest outcome.

If they don't, I think they are confident that the application can be defeated (have a read up on judicial reviews, the costs of them and the things they must consider) but that process takes time which we don't really want to wait.

Now is a fantastic time to build, you won't find a better situation to negotiate with contractors than this year.

Let's hope the residents accept the club's genuine efforts to be a good neighbour and this all moves forward the easy way.

Let's hope the residents accept the club's genuine efforts to be a good neighbour and this all moves forward the easy way.

I hope you are right but Steve recently announced that if he could not progress the stadium he would resign and let someone else take the club forward. He has now resigned. Make of it what you will but I would have thought the Ashton Vale residents may be encouraged by this.

Exactly. I genuinely feel the press conf was full of determination to get the job done. I think the point that he hasnt resigned from immediate effect gives hope that we may be a bit closer than we think on the TVG outcome and is confident we have the evidence to back it up. So when he leaves at the end of may we will have the an upwardly mobile team and the final green light for the stadium. A great time to hand over the reigns and it would make us a lot more attractive to potential signings over the summer.

I really don't get why people are worried or making anything of this at all,

Lansdown is in retirement he can only spen 90 days a year in england as he is a tax exile

90 days a year isn't enough to run a football club as chairman hence he's stood down it is as simple as that,

He's promoted his right hand man and mouthpeice Colin Sexton to chairman and appointed his Son Jon Lansdown (who is the landowner of Ashton Vale "Village Green") to the board THIS WOULD NOT OF HAPPENED IF HE WANTED OUT OF THE CLUB!!!!

Steve still owns 68.8% of the club and would have to put that up for sale so he can not simply walk away without a new owner coming in,

Stop making mountains out of mole hills we've now adapted a prem team's board room ethics which is only good for the club the new board members will be looking to move the club forward and bring in new investment.

Lansdown is and for me will always be the best chairman we've ever had he's still owner and he still invests happy days are coming back to BS3 get ready for the ride mark my words :fingerscrossed:

I hope you are right but Steve recently announced that if he could not progress the stadium he would resign and let someone else take the club forward. He has now resigned. Make of it what you will but I would have thought the Ashton Vale residents may be encouraged by this.

I kind of took it as he has said he would walk away from the club altogether if we didnt get the ground?

he hasnt walked away, all he has done has stepped down as chairman. He still owns the club

It was his intention to step down from the board once he had decided to move to Guernsey.

The Stadium should have been underway but the unforseen VG application, BCC's initial rejection of Sainsburys plans, and the GJ leaving/ SC fiasco meant that he felt

he had to postpone his plans and continue his role supporting KM and the planning appeals.

It was always his intention to make these changes and therefore the recent collapse (or not according to SL) of the VG mediation is coincidental.

One big factor is probably that a change is coming in this year to tighten up on the 90 day rule for exiles living offshore, at present if you fly in and out the same day

it does not count towards the 90 days (SL probably does this for games or one off meetings for example) - the change will be that any visit, even if only for - say- 2 hours will count as one day. Attending games home and away will use most of his allowance and it's easy to see why he can't be as hands on anymore..

Incidently I don't agree that SL "knows something we don't" - the VG application is going through a legal process and will be decided initially by the Council, both of which are accountable processes that can be subject to scrutiny.

What I heard when SL expressed his view that the stadium "will be built" was simply the sheer determination and will of someone who has fought so hard for the projest and is determined to do everything to achieve his goal.

Encouraging though this was to hear his determination - ultimately it's in the hands of others to decide if the stadium can go ahead.

To clear up the current ownership of the 42 acre AV site. It's owned currently by a JV company comprising S.Lansdown, J.Lansdown, and J. Pontin. Part of the site - the bit destined for houses- is owned by Bristol city council who have agreed to transfer ownership to BC Holdings in exchange for the club providing community benefits.

Once the Stadium gets the go ahead the JV will transfer the stadium bit to BC Holdings but they will retain ownership of the rest of the site that will comprise the Hotel,retail,food, wetlands, housing etc.

CR

I really don't get why people are worried or making anything of this at all,

Lansdown is in retirement he can only spen 90 days a year in england as he is a tax exile

90 days a year isn't enough to run a football club as chairman hence he's stood down it is as simple as that,

He's promoted his right hand man and mouthpeice Colin Sexton to chairman and appointed his Son Jon Lansdown (who is the landowner of Ashton Vale "Village Green") to the board THIS WOULD NOT OF HAPPENED IF HE WANTED OUT OF THE CLUB!!!!

Steve still owns 68.8% of the club and would have to put that up for sale so he can not simply walk away without a new owner coming in,

Stop making mountains out of mole hills we've now adapted a prem team's board room ethics which is only good for the club the new board members will be looking to move the club forward and bring in new investment.

Lansdown is and for me will always be the best chairman we've ever had he's still owner and he still invests happy days are coming back to BS3 get ready for the ride mark my words :fingerscrossed:

PLEASE PEOPLE READ THIS. NOTHING CHANGES. DO NOT PANIC.

REPEAT. NOTHING CHANGES.

PLEASE PEOPLE READ THIS. NOTHING CHANGES. DO NOT PANIC.

REPEAT. NOTHING CHANGES.

I think one important thing has changed and that is the appointment of Steve's son to the board.

Steve, as owner, will still have a strong involvement with the club and would suspect that his son will be his eyes and ears in the boardroom - does anyone know what is confidential to the board as far as the majority shareholder in the club is concerned?

What is the likelehood that Jon will be groomed as a future BCFC Chairman - possibly to take over when Colin eventualy retires? If this is the case then it is also not beyond the realms of possibility that Steve's financial stake will be transferred/bought out by Jon, and therefore will remain in the Lansdown family. If Jon is a chip off the old block, then I for one would be more than happy to see this happen and give the club continuity and stability well into the future.

Reading the evil post interview I think we have a Jack Walker thing starting to happen (ex chairman and owner of Blackburn RIP),

Lansdown states that he will not leave the club and his ties are unbreakable and that he will continue to support the club through his money estate and family which loosely means after he's gone BCFC ltd will still be owned and run from Lansdown's estate which is why Jon's been put on the board to learn i suspect from Colin and the others and is being groomed to be the future chairman

Archived