IGNORED

Signing Caulker?

SecretSam

This is our problem with getting in good players, players who are good enough will want to play in the prem and their teams will want to keep them, then you have the players who are quality who know this and will try and get what they can from you. This is where you end up we have had an utter bawl ache looking for defenders all season there is such a small pool of talent if we look in the UK at the current level were at, would have lover to have seen us get evet years ago but he went to blackpool :(

It would be a shame not to ask and then see him sign for someone else in the Championship.

Very unlikely I agree but correct to ask - I don't know why we'd publicise that though, it seems silly.

I'd guess for two reasons, firstly because KM was asked the question and secondly to avoid all the "why didn't we go back for him" stuff when, as I expect, he goes off on loan somewhere else (like QPR).

At least by knowing sooner rather than later we can plan for what we do if the answer is "no", I suppose.

The question had to be asked, but would almost seem like an injustice to keep him in the Championship, hes proved himself at this level and its probably best for the lad if he now tests himself in the Prem. You never know but would be very pleasantly surprised if he was here next season.

I'd guess for two reasons, firstly because KM was asked the question and secondly to avoid all the "why didn't we go back for him" stuff when, as I expect, he goes off on loan somewhere else (like QPR).

Not a bid deal but he should probably say something non-commital like "we'll see in the summer" until he's got an answer IMO. Then answer the question properly when we have a firm No. There's never any profit from talking about these things ahead of them being decided.

At least by knowing sooner rather than later we can plan for what we do if the answer is "no", I suppose.

Agree and we should certainly be planning for that anyway.

£3m for Cauks? that's chicken feed!

Seriously, surely that would come under CS's "value for money" policey . Reading between the lines (with what SL says aswell) we are not ruling out big money purchases, BUT they have to prove VFM.

Exactly how I feel on the subject

Would be a lovely leaving present from SL, and there's no doubt Caulker is VFM

Will it happen, I doubt it very much, but if you don't ask.....

Considering that Caulker is 19 and only in his second full season as a regular starter, another full season on loan at City would take him to 20, and with another seasons experience on his CV. Its likely then for him to be a more attractive option for either Spurs or another PL club. That said, you don't see many first team PL players aged 20. There are the odd one or two such as Wilshere and before him Rooney and Owen were but they were exceptions.

The bottom line is that Caulker has plenty of time to become even more accomplished and it would be terrific for us if he stays for another season at AG. Much depends on whether he would want to stay in the Bristol area and whether Spurs woul allow another full seasons loan.

I can't see Tottenham letting him go. He's obviously got great potentail and they know that. He'll be a regular starter for them in a couple/three years.

Considering that Caulker is 19 and only in his second full season as a regular starter, another full season on loan at City would take him to 20, and with another seasons experience on his CV. Its likely then for him to be a more attractive option for either Spurs or another PL club. That said, you don't see many first team PL players aged 20. There are the odd one or two such as Wilshere and before him Rooney and Owen were but they were exceptions.

The bottom line is that Caulker has plenty of time to become even more accomplished and it would be terrific for us if he stays for another season at AG. Much depends on whether he would want to stay in the Bristol area and whether Spurs woul allow another full seasons loan.

I can't see Tottenham letting him go. He's obviously got great potentail and they know that. He'll be a regular starter for them in a couple/three years.

Coleman, Rodwell, Bales about 20 or 21, Walcott and about half the Arsenal squad all started in their teens in the prem,

If your good enough your old enough and Caulker is good enough

Coleman, Rodwell, Bales about 20 or 21, Walcott and about half the Arsenal squad all started in their teens in the prem,

If your good enough your old enough and Caulker is good enough

How many of those are defenders?

And.....if Harry Redknapp thought Caulker was already good enough he wouldn't have allowed him out on loan.

KM would be mad not to have asked if he could sign Caulker, but I believe Caulker went on record saying that he'd already agreed to go out on loan to a Premier league club next season.

He is the finest defender I've seen at the Gate. He's got the lot and I'd love to keep him, but it won't happen I'm sure.

£3m for Cauks? that's chicken feed!

Seriously, surely that would come under CS's "value for money" policey . Reading between the lines (with what SL says aswell) we are not ruling out big money purchases, BUT they have to prove VFM.

£3m is chicken feed? have you seen our accounts?

no chance in hell of us spending that on a defender. Best we can hope is Redknapp thinks he's developing well here and let's him stay on loan another season if the player wants to.

£3m is chicken feed? have you seen our accounts?

no chance in hell of us spending that on a defender. Best we can hope is Redknapp thinks he's developing well here and let's him stay on loan another season if the player wants to.

It's chickens feed if you compare it to the potential return on investment with a player like Caulker,

It's fantasy, and he'll never, ever sign here, But £3m for a plyer of his potential would be dirt cheap!!!

It's chickens feed if you compare it to the potential return on investment with a player like Caulker,

It's fantasy, and he'll never, ever sign here, But £3m for a plyer of his potential would be dirt cheap!!!

no it would be £3m. potential return is a risk we cant take with sums like that

I see where you're coming from, But not only would it be a bargain in relative terms for a defender of his ability, it would also carry a decent return on that £3m in the long run.

Maybe Chicken feed is the wrong term, but it would certainly be an advisable way to spend a large sum of money as opposed to 4 average players with little to no ROI.

This sort of purchace would fit into the long term plan of buying young and hungry players that will either progress us or progress sufficiently that we would make profit... Much like the purchace of NM and arguably BP.

But like I said before, Its utterly ridiculous to suggest SC would be allowed or even want to come here perminantly. But if it where possible I would suggest it would be a sound investment.

I see where you're coming from, But not only would it be a bargain in relative terms for a defender of his ability, it would also carry a decent return on that £3m in the long run.

Maybe Chicken feed is the wrong term, but it would certainly be an advisable way to spend a large sum of money as opposed to 4 average players with little to no ROI.

This sort of purchace would fit into the long term plan of buying young and hungry players that will either progress us or progress sufficiently that we would make profit... Much like the purchace of NM and arguably BP.

But like I said before, Its utterly ridiculous to suggest SC would be allowed or even want to come here perminantly. But if it where possible I would suggest it would be a sound investment.

I remember Roger Johnson going to Birmingham for £5m but other than him how many defenders in the championship have gone for a lot more than £3m? I dont know but I'd be interested to know

if we invested that amount in him would we really expect to make a significant profit if he had 1 or 2 good seasons in the championship? I'm not sure we would

City paid 2.25m for Maynard 3 seasons ago. Very much a risk/return buy and only 750k less than 3m. Maynard's knee injury was serious and at one time there was talk of him being finished, fortunately he's recovered and is back playing.

If Caulker was up for sale at 3m then City would bite Spurs hand off. Unfortunately that ain't going happen.

I remember Roger Johnson going to Birmingham for £5m but other than him how many defenders in the championship have gone for a lot more than £3m? I dont know but I'd be interested to know

if we invested that amount in him would we really expect to make a significant profit if he had 1 or 2 good seasons in the championship? I'm not sure we would

and he's done brilliantly for Birmingham too, Incidently.

I can't say I can remember much either, I suppose you could look at Chris Smalling, I honestly think Caulker has more potential than him, But Man U have taken a punt and will coach him into an England regular.

I suppose you could argue that SC is as important to the defence as NM is to the attack... So even if he didn't get us much profit on sale, he'd be value for money in the mean time as an asset on the field.

Like I say, its not a situation I envisage, but I personally could see the logic in spending that sort of sum on him...

Curtis Davies is the only one I can think of.

I think there'd be a great chance of Caulker being worth more than £3m after a season or two at this level (the risk I'd worry about more would be injury with that many eggs in one basket) - but I think £3m is very very unlikely to be enough to get him even if he wanted to come, in his one season here will have already made him worth more.

Is Caulker really as good as it appears or are the rest of our defenders so bad that he shines?

I wouldn't say our other defenders are so bad. Caulkers quality comes from a combination of quality coaching at Spurs, exceptional natural talent and self confidence on the ball. For such a young lad his composure is remarkable.

Is Caulker really as good as it appears or are the rest of our defenders so bad that he shines?

Yes he is, It doesnt matter how "bad" the other players are, he still defends brilliantly. You don't compare performances of the defenders to gauge how good he is, you compare how many times he beats the opposition strikers.

You could argue the standard of striker he faces is low, if you so wished, but the comparitive abilities of his team mates is irrelevant.

Harry watched Caulker at Norwich, which coincided with arguably Caulkers worst performance for us.

After that game Harry could think two ways;

Is playing for us slowing his development - in which case he needs time at a higher level ie prem team next season

or has Caulker gone as far as he can in which case cash in on him now

Who knows?

Harry watched Caulker at Norwich, which coincided with arguably Caulkers worst performance for us.

After that game Harry could think two ways;

Is playing for us slowing his development - in which case he needs time at a higher level ie prem team next season

or has Caulker gone as far as he can in which case cash in on him now

Who knows?

Caulker certainly has not gone as far as he can. This lad has every attribute required to be a top flight CB and he certainly will be playing in the Prem very soon.

I don't think I have ever seen a better defender in City colours - and I have been going to AG since 1976 !

As has been said above, the best we can hope for is that good old "Arry" agrees to leave him with us for one more season.

BTW - surely Redknapp must be the next England manager after Capello leaves his nice little earner with the FA ?

Archived