IGNORED

Challenging For The Play-Off's

spudski

I see KM has come out and said he is going about building a squad utilising youth, Premier League season Loans and current players, to challenge for the play-offs next season.

Considering at the beginning of this season, it was said by SL that we would be going for automatic promotion, do you think this is a step backwards in our aspireations?

Personally...I think it is a realistic goal, and KM has done well in not putting extra pressure on himself by not stating automatic promotion.

I'm actually happy at his statement. Perhaps we will be able to play with a bit of freedom next season, without the extra fan expectation of Promotion.

I do actually hope we do sign and own, a new commanding Centre back and creative Midfielder and not just rely on loanees. A strong backbone of players we can develope that our own is surely needed. Kissing goodbye to Caulker is horrible, and we can probably expect the same again in the future. Nice to see talent, but letting them go back really is demoralising.

I see KM has come out and said he is going about building a squad utilising youth, Premier League season Loans and current players, to challenge for the play-offs next season.

Considering at the beginning of this season, it was said by SL that we would be going for automatic promotion, do you think this is a step backwards in our aspireations?

Personally...I think it is a realistic goal, and KM has done well in not putting extra pressure on himself by not stating automatic promotion.

I'm actually happy at his statement. Perhaps we will be able to play with a bit of freedom next season, without the extra fan expectation of Promotion.

I do actually hope we do sign and own, a new commanding Centre back and creative Midfielder and not just rely on loanees. A strong backbone of players we can develope that our own is surely needed. Kissing goodbye to Caulker is horrible, and we can probably expect the same again in the future. Nice to see talent, but letting them go back really is demoralising.

if we had three or four players of caulkers ability,we would be with a real shout of top two.

my opinion i would love to see that quality again next season even on loan.

Pretty sure SL didn't say anything about going for automatic promotion this season.

I think he would have trotted out the normal line "well ultimately the goal is promotion of course otherwise what's the point?" rather than saying "this season we're going for auto"/

Anyhow it's not a step back, it's a good goal to set. Difficult but probably achievable if it comes together. Let's not mistake it for an expectation. It may take more than one season to achieve.

There is a lot of work to do in the summer.

Were see a massive clear-out this summer. Cannot see us spending alot in the summer. Saying in CS words "The belt will be tightened". Which Is fair enough the club's safety and life comes first. Im all for one for a few PL loans and our own youth players providing they can do a job. That shows heart and belief from the club which this day and age is hard to come by.

So why isn't KM playing any of the youngsters now. We are not going up this year so IMO he had the chance yesterday to play Spence at centre back and draft in Edwards to have a look at him for a few games. Also we may have more of a chance of keeping Spence than Caulker. So we could see how he played in his preferred position.

So why isn't KM playing any of the youngsters now. We are not going up this year so IMO he had the chance yesterday to play Spence at centre back and draft in Edwards to have a look at him for a few games. Also we may have more of a chance of keeping Spence than Caulker. So we could see how he played in his preferred position.

It's not impossible to get in the play-offs. I still don't think we will but if the chance arrives to be able to do so we should be pushing all the way until its impossible to do so.

It's not impossible to get in the play-offs. I still don't think we will but if the chance arrives to be able to do so we should be pushing all the way until its impossible to do so.

So when will KM play youngsters.....Next season, don't think so. It will be a fresh start with at least play off positions expected, so I can't see any of the kids getting a start then either. Same old City, we may as well get rid of the academy and save us some money there. I'm talking of drafting in one youngster, who would at least give 100% to prove himself. Dream on about the play offs this season.

So when will KM play youngsters.....Next season, don't think so. It will be a fresh start with at least play off positions expected, so I can't see any of the kids getting a start then either. Same old City, we may as well get rid of the academy and save us some money there. I'm talking of drafting in one youngster, who would at least give 100% to prove himself. Dream on about the play offs this season.

Wake up mate. When will KM play the kids? uhh well I suppose when it's not possible to get into the play offs. KM said himself City will not be taking their foot of the pedal. Are you AshtonYate in disguise? Im sure a few more youngsters will get games under KM. You say same old city, thats more tosh. GJ never liked youth players he saw all of them only wanting to be footballers because of the life-style not of the game.

Wake up mate. When will KM play the kids? uhh well I suppose when it's not possible to get into the play offs. KM said himself City will not be taking their foot of the pedal. Are you AshtonYate in disguise? Im sure a few more youngsters will get games under KM. You say same old city, thats more tosh. GJ never liked youth players he saw all of them only wanting to be footballers because of the life-style not of the game.

Your the one who should wake up. I'm talking of bringing in one player at the moment, who is highly rated as a youngster and as I said would give you 100% because he is trying to impress. all I'm saying is give him a go.

You also answered my question about Bristol City in the past with your comments about GJ, perhaps KM is out the same mould. We won't know until he starts playing some of the kids will we.

PS. Stop dreaming about the play offs this year, it's not going to happen.

KM does give youngsters a chance though? What about Ribs last season?

Yes your right, he has played him, but it was GJ who introduced him into the first team and he did ok, so why not give another lad a go. One young player with a handful of games is not the answer to our so called youth policy is it, with the amount of money we spend on the academy every year.

Spence 20, Nyatanga 22, Adomah 22, Pitman 21 all young blokes.

If you mean City's home grown youngsters who exactly do you mean apart from Edwards ( on the bench yesterday) and Wilson ( who is only just back from a year long injury and nowhere near match fit). Jackson? Not a chance with Pitman, Maynard, Stead, Keogh and Clarkson in the squad.

If you mean City's home grown youngsters who exactly do you mean apart from Edwards ( on the bench yesterday) and Wilson ( who is only just back from a year long injury and nowhere near match fit). Jackson? Not a chance with Pitman, Maynard, Stead, Keogh and Clarkson in the squad.

Of course I mean home grown talent and you are right we haven't got alot of youngsters near 1st team quality. If you look at my previous comments Ive only been talking about Edwards, who IMO should have started yesterday, not on the bench.

If Spence & McAllister are a better bet at full-back, while we've still got a sniff of the play-offs we should stick to our strongest back line. Edwards has been around the squad a lot this season and will definitely have his time.

Of course I mean home grown talent and you are right we haven't got alot of youngsters near 1st team quality. If you look at my previous comments Ive only been talking about Edwards, who IMO should have started yesterday, not on the bench.

Instead of who? Spence who just had his loan spell extented till the end of the season.

Millen has already stated that he doesn't want ''take the foot off the pedal" now that City are safe. I'm sure he wants to get past 63 points and better the last two seasons points tally.

Instead of who? Spence who just had his loan spell extented till the end of the season.

Millen has already stated that he doesn't want ''take the foot off the pedal" now that City are safe. I'm sure he wants to get past 63 points and better the last two seasons points tally.

Robbered, read my very first comment on this thread. I said, he should have played Spence at Centre back (his preferred position) and played Edwards at right back yesterday. Who says that would have taken the foot off the pedal. LN and JM are not the future in my opinion, lets see if some of the youngsters are, thats all I'm saying.

Pitman is 23 I think. I'd be happy if we signed Spence in the summer he has potential, as obviously does Adomah. I don't really rate Tangs tbh, amazing he has so many Wales caps for someone so young.

Robbered, read my very first comment on this thread. I said, he should have played Spence at Centre back (his preferred position) and played Edwards at right back yesterday. Who says that would have taken the foot off the pedal. LN and JM are not the future in my opinion, lets see if some of the youngsters are, thats all I'm saying.

And if KM thinks yesterday's back 4 have played better in training?

I definately agree about McAllister especially if Billy Jones joins City but Nyatanga has impressed in recent games and looks better game by game. I can see him at City for a while yet.

You can understand why Millen didn't play Edwards when you consider that had he left Nyantanga at left back with Spence alongside Stewart there would have been three out of four defenders with very limited experience and possibly the youngest back four ever in the first team. Given that City still have an outside shout of the play-offs and a great shout of a top 10 finish no-one can blame Millen for keeping Edwards on the bench.

Had City been comfortable, 3 or 4 up with 10 mins to go he would probably brought Edwards on but it wasn't to be.

And if KM thinks yesterday's back 4 have played better in training?

It was a make shift defence, which KM already admitted, due to injuries. I think it's the first time this season that LN played centre back. Because of our injuries, would love to have seen home grown youth introduced at right back, with Spence at centre half. I think Spence is a more realistic signing in the summer, but in saying that would love to see Caulker here again. When Spence first arrived here, he did'nt look that special, but has started to look promicing, thats why I would like to see Edwards have a few games. Because of past history if JE don't start well he will be dropped pretty quickly especially at the start of a new season, rather than the end of a season with nothing to play for, where we could then afford to give him a few games.

It was a make shift defence, which KM already admitted, due to injuries. I think it's the first time this season that LN played centre back. Because of our injuries, would love to have seen home grown youth introduced at right back, with Spence at centre half. I think Spence is a more realistic signing in the summer, but in saying that would love to see Caulker here again. When Spence first arrived here, he did'nt look that special, but has started to look promicing, thats why I would like to see Edwards have a few games. Because of past history if JE don't start well he will be dropped pretty quickly especially at the start of a new season, rather than the end of a season with nothing to play for, where we could then afford to give him a few games.

Nyatanga had a great game at the back yesterday, and a look at the table will tell you the season isn't entirely over.

Instead of argueing amongst yourselves and coming to conclusions based on what you think, why not read what KM has stated and go from there... Quote...

'Millen insisted any future loan signings will not be to the detriment of the club's own Academy products and he is currently drawing up plans to implement a development squad for under-21s ahead of next season.

He said: "I think two season-long loans is a good number. We did that this season and I certainly would not want to bring in any more than that.

"Bringing in a couple is not going to hold back the youngsters we are bringing through the Academy. We have to make sure they are given a fair crack of the whip."

Although Millen has asked Tottenham if he can re-sign Caulker for next season, it appears likely the 19-year-old will be loaned to a Premier League rival or even included in his parent club's 25-man squad.

Millen said: "I've made an inquiry about Steven, but he has done so well in the Championship, Tottenham may feel he is ready to step-up to the next level.

"There is probably more mileage in looking at players who have had some experience in League One or the Championship and who need a bit more experience."

Instead of argueing amongst yourselves and coming to conclusions based on what you think, why not read what KM has stated and go from there... Quote...

'Millen insisted any future loan signings will not be to the detriment of the club's own Academy products and he is currently drawing up plans to implement a development squad for under-21s ahead of next season.

He said: "I think two season-long loans is a good number. We did that this season and I certainly would not want to bring in any more than that.

"Bringing in a couple is not going to hold back the youngsters we are bringing through the Academy. We have to make sure they are given a fair crack of the whip."

Although Millen has asked Tottenham if he can re-sign Caulker for next season, it appears likely the 19-year-old will be loaned to a Premier League rival or even included in his parent club's 25-man squad.

Millen said: "I've made an inquiry about Steven, but he has done so well in the Championship, Tottenham may feel he is ready to step-up to the next level.

"There is probably more mileage in looking at players who have had some experience in League One or the Championship and who need a bit more experience."

Well lets hope this all happens next year. But i will still state that yesterday or very soon is the idea time to bring in Edwards IMO. Then KM will have more idea what he needs to recruit during the summer in that position anyway. I would also like to see Spence have a run out for us as CB to. I'm not debating this anymore, its just my opinion.

Well lets hope this all happens next year. But i will still state that yesterday or very soon is the idea time to bring in Edwards IMO. Then KM will have more idea what he needs to recruit during the summer in that position anyway. I would also like to see Spence have a run out for us as CB to. I'm not debating this anymore, its just my opinion.

I'd be interested to know whether your opinion is based on watching Edwards in training and reserve games, or just on the fact he has been on the pirephery of the squad recently?

I'd be interested to know whether your opinion is based on watching Edwards in training and reserve games, or just on the fact he has been on the pirephery of the squad recently?

Both, and what I have seen of him, he's a good little tackler, with descent pace. Just needs to prove himself at this level.

Both, and what I have seen of him, he's a good little tackler, with descent pace. Just needs to prove himself at this level.

He'll get his chance this season, there will be games, where the result is settled with 15-20mins to go at which point he'll get a run out, he needs to prove himself as a sub, before he gets a start,

• Admin

Spudski, does that quote come from the fine bastions of journalistic research at the Evening Post?

Because Tottenham could indeed name him in their 25 man squad but probably won't given that (being under 21 on January 1st this year) they are allowed to play him in as many games as they like WITHOUT naming him in that squad. I reckon they'll give that spot to someone older than 21 personally.

Archived