IGNORED

The Big Match

spudski

Does anyone else remember watching the Big Match on a Sunday afternoon during the 70's and 80's? If so this music will bring back some memories...

We also had our own HTV Soccer special. I've found a website listing all the local matches that were shown. With the recent film found of City playing during this era, it shows that more matches are archived at our own HTV studio... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carousel/ITV/HTV.html :o:cool:

I remember the 1-0 win at Old Trafford in '74/'75, that was the season Man Utd romped away with the league. Think we got a bit of a panning from the the commentator due to the defensive nature of the performance !

Hopefully it'll eventually turn up on Youtube.

Big Match theme is iconic, prefer it to MOTD.

I remember the 1-0 win at Old Trafford in '74/'75, that was the season Man Utd romped away with the league. Think we got a bit of a panning from the the commentator due to the defensive nature of the performance !

The sad thing is I remember most of the City games. Check out how many times Kenny Whimshurst scored an OG when televised!

I've pontificated many times on Gerald Sinstadt and how sick he looked when (I think Gery Gow) scored in the 94th minute.

The end of match summary went something like Bristol City came to spoile defend and waste time and ironically it was them that made the best of those added minutes when on a rare forray outof there own half 'Gerry Gow' scored an unjest and undeserved winner in injury time....

happy days....

I've pontificated many times on Gerald Sinstadt and how sick he looked when (I think Gery Gow) scored in the 94th minute.

The end of match summary went something like Bristol City came to spoile defend and waste time and ironically it was them that made the best of those added minutes when on a rare forray outof there own half 'Gerry Gow' scored an unjest and undeserved winner in injury time....

happy days....

We did the double over Manchester United during 74/75......

Jon Emanual scored at Ashton Gate.

And I think it was Trevor Tainton who got the winner at Old Trafford?

To clear up a couple of queries, The Big Match was only "live" in later years. It's previous format usually showed highlights of a London based game as the main match (with Brian Moore as commentator, and studio host), and then highlights from the ITV Regions.

It was Don Gillies who scored at Old Trafford

Does anyone else remember watching the Big Match on a Sunday afternoon during the 70's and 80's? If so this music will bring back some memories...

We also had our own HTV Soccer special. I've found a website listing all the local matches that were shown. With the recent film found of City playing during this era, it shows that more matches are archived at our own HTV studio... http://homepage.ntlw...el/ITV/HTV.html :o:cool:

The Big Match always reminds me of being in junior school at Bishopsworth when you either liked City or didn't like football. Every break time the teams were sorted for the kick about,usually using the 'numbers'

system to ensure fair play. When the teams broke to their respective ends to start,this would always be accompanied,due to a burst of excited energy,by a quick rendition of the Big Match theme.

No-one could say why it was always that and not MOTD,though it was probably easier for a group of 8yr olds to croon.

Brian Moore was a belter as well,a cross beteween Nosferatu and a 100w bulb.

The Big Match always reminds me of being in junior school at Bishopsworth when you either liked City or didn't like football. Every break time the teams were sorted for the kick about,usually using the 'numbers'

system to ensure fair play.

I remember my days at Bishopsworth School!

Were you in the "New" or old school opposite the church?

I remember the big play time game always being held up for a few minutes whilst "Mike Gibson" dived under the terrapin class room to retrieve a wayward shot, whilst "Kellard, Jacobs, Conner, Parr, Sharpe and Derrick" all formed a shield so that the prying eyes of Mrs Moss wouldn't catch "Gibbo" under the portable classroom... We couldn't afford to have our keeper disciplined by having to stand against the wall for any length of time!!

As the whistle blew for the end of play time, our heroes would morph back into the familiar guise of class mates. But only until the next play time.

Bishopworth School.....1968 - 1972

What a place.......................................................Where dreams were dreamt.

I remember my days at Bishopsworth School!

Were you in the "New" or old school opposite the church?

I remember the big play time game always being held up for a few minutes whilst "Mike Gibson" dived under the terrapin class room to retrieve a wayward shot, whilst "Kellard, Jacobs, Conner, Parr, Sharpe and Derrick" all formed a shield so that the prying eyes of Mrs Moss wouldn't catch "Gibbo" under the portable classroom... We couldn't afford to have our keeper disciplined by having to stand against the wall for any length of time!!

As the whistle blew for the end of play time, our heroes would morph back into the familiar guise of class mates. But only until the next play time.

Bishopworth School.....1968 - 1972

What a place.......................................................Where dreams were dreamt.

New school mate,they got an orange mitre ball which was sweet for an explosive half volley,but if you caught said half volley on an exposed arm or leg it didnt half stop you whistling the Big Match for 10 minutes.

New school mate,they got an orange mitre ball which was sweet for an explosive half volley,but if you caught said half volley on an exposed arm or leg it didnt half stop you whistling the Big Match for 10 minutes.

You should have tried the old leather laced ball, especially when wet and freezing.:(

Both old and new for me, 72-76, always remember Mr Short officiating the odd match in a kit that was always 2 sizes two small for him, and gawd the shorts were short in those days, not a pretty sight.

Both old and new for me, 72-76, always remember Mr Short officiating the odd match in a kit that was always 2 sizes two small for him, and gawd the shorts were short in those days, not a pretty sight.

Good times..........

happy days....

Gerald Sinstadt's main claim to fame is that he was once arrested after being caught pleasuring himself in an adult cinema

i remember sunday telly being crap in those days. we had to have lunch and me and my brother had to wash up before the telly went on at 5 to 3 exactly. one hour on a sunday that was our telly.

i would like to point out the above post is actually dragonreds. silly me left my name logged on and the old fool didn't realise before posting.

Every break time the teams were sorted for the kick about,usually using the 'numbers'

system to ensure fair play.

I had forgotten all about "numbers".

That made me smile as it brings back some memories of kick-abouts in the playground too

I wasn't alive in the 1970s but I do remember Big Match Revisited on ITV4 with Brian Moore amongst others. Man Utd 3 v WBA 5 stands out as a classic of that era, but it was 1978/79 season shown from halfway through 2008/09.

Shame ITV didn't continue with it...

Yes I caught a few of them revisited programmes and was very disappointed when it wasn't on this season.

We also had our own HTV Soccer special. I've found a website listing all the local matches that were shown. With the recent film found of City playing during this era, it shows that more matches are archived at our own HTV studio... http://homepage.ntlw...el/ITV/HTV.html :o:cool:

Am I on my own in thinking that "if" either HTV or BCFC or even both got together, there is the potential for a compilation DVD that would certainly shift quite a few copies???? I for one would buy it?

Commercial department / City shop - Anyone on message?

happy days....

As I remember it, Sinstadt (or Cynic as my brother called him) intreviewed Alan Dicks after the match and concluded it by saying: "Thank you for that piece of robbery" and AD just grinned back.

Gillies scored in the 93rd minute.

The 9-0 thrashing I remember well, Colin Lee scored 4 and kept the match ball. He was actually married to my Mums cousin and stayed in Bristol that night. The following day we went to visit and he gave us the signed (by all the spurs players) ball to kick about in the back yard.

Archived