IGNORED

Who's The Most Overrated And Underrated City Player(S) You've Seen?

westred1

As the title suggests ... just a bit of fun :winner_third_h4h:

The most overrated would have to be Matty Hill; great player and a great servant but due to him being from Bristol and coming through the academy his performances were often subject to too much appraisal and never much negativity.

My most underrated would have to be Greg Goodridge! I know most would say he was very inconsistent and i'd have to agree but I believe that he had the ability to turn a game on his head with his pace and skill. I believe he was a combination of Adomah and Sproule - great pace and a bit of skill but very raw and lacked the end product and procision in the final 3rd.

Just wondering what people think :)

The most overrated would have to be Matty Hill; great player and a great servant but due to him being from Bristol and coming through the academy his performances were often subject to too much appraisal and never much negativity.

My most underrated would have to be Greg Goodridge! I know most would say he was very inconsistent and i'd have to agree but I believe that he had the ability to turn a game on his head with his pace and skill. I believe he was a combination of Adomah and Sproule - great pace and a bit of skill but very raw and lacked the end product and procision in the final 3rd.

Over-rated has to be LJ. He's been with us almost 5 years now and I'm struggling to think of too many goals, killer passes or great games that he's produced. And yet, despite this, many City fans will swear that he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Under-rated. Difficult, but I think Gerken deserves a mention. He's a decent enough keeper and is very far from being the useless clown that the David James fan club like to pretend that he is.

I have to say, Maynard is quite overrated by us as a general fanbase. He's a cracking player, yes, but I think people smudge his value to us with his general value. If you put Maynard's and Danny Graham's first 2 seasons at this level side by side, for instance, Graham's stats as a goalscorer read significantly better. He's a superb player and the most gifted goalscorer I've seen at the Gate definitely, but you can overrate great players.

Ivan Sproule and Marvin Elliott both come in for a lot of criticism on here nowadays, I've not always been a fan of Sproule but there's been a number of games recently where I've sat in the stands and thought 'Now would be a good time to bring Ivan on', when he's busy plying his trade at Notts County or Yeovil. Elliott as well is a class act, who was built up (again) to be better than he was when we first signed him.

Over Rated: He's gone (thank God) but Haynes, never rated him, big headed, lazy, nasty and must've had feet shaped by bananas the way he finished!

Under Rated: Ivan Sproule, always comes in for critisms on here but has definitely developed into a solid Championship winger over his years here. Not scored too many goals but purely for his entertainment value and the manner in which he could change games in a matter of seconds and a flick of his feet. Level headed, down to earth guy with his heart in the right place. A true professional and a City legend in my book. It'll be a great shame when he leaves in the summer but I hope he finds a club where he gets a solid run in the side and shows what he can do, the lad deserves it.

Ahh greg goodridge! Funny was player was greg, always seemed to play out of his skin for us at home on a tuesday night, the rest of the time he was fairly average, away from home he was practically non existent, can never remember him repeating anything like his performances for us at home.

Still, gave us some great goals and performances, thought we had signed pele after scoring two on his debut against luton, at home on a tuesday night....

Just to be a bit different i'd say...

Over = Sproule. In the sense that people on here think he's under-rated. IMO he is purely a super fast player with lots of determination. Technically he is on par with a league 2 player. bar the ridiculous goal he scored at leicester last season he's been techincally awful during hsi time with us and i think the only reason people like him is because he gives them a bit of a lift when he charges down the right wing. Only thing is 95% of the time there is no end product.

Under = Jama - lots of people in know seem to prefer sproule to jama because they are frustrated with him 'cutting back' all the time. I think jama offers us far more though. he knows he needs to work on is cxonsistency but he retains possession perhaps better than anyone in the team and is touch and technique are great. His size is a problem some time but i think he's had some unfair stick on here and this season we've seen some glimpses of his class.

One of my first memories of being a City fan is of Goodridge before a match lay of his back doing keep ups with his shins! I've never seen a more skilful player in terms of dribbling and ball control, I've also never seen a player so bad at shooting! Probably my favourite City player ever though along with Soren Anderson :D

Bit harsh on Hill, at least he left us to play at a higher level and has continued to do so.

In recent years -

Most over-rated - Aaron Brown & Danny Coles (provide it since)

Under-rated - Luke Wilkshire (provided it since)

Current Squad

Over - Lee Johnson

Under - McAllister

UR - Soren Anderson was a class apart. Watched his goal at palace again the other day. Brilliant player.

OR - Leroy Lita by a country mile. He had absolutely no ability. It always amused me how people thought he was destined for England or something. I'm not questioning his ability to score goals and i know thats the main thing with strikers. But he had less technical ability than Shaun Goater and no one raved about his skills like they did with Lita.

For the record i loved Shuan Goater, if only for the fact that he couldn't dribble through a line cones, but could still score 20+ a year no matter where he played.

That goal at Watford!!! Appauling first touch which was to hard, yet hard enough to tempt the keeper out (genius!) then when the keeper gets there, the goat connects with his shin, yet this is perfect as it loops over the on rushing keeper (genius again!).

What a player!

Going back a bit now, but Gary Shelton and Adam Locke were two under rated players

As for over rated, I agree with anyone who has said Doherty & Lita, and to go back a bit further Andy Llewellyn was never a fav of mine - but (as with what people are saying about Matt Hill) because he was from Bristol he was a legend. But he did hate the Gash with a passion, which I can only admire the bloke for!

UR - Soren Anderson was a class apart. Watched his goal at palace again the other day. Brilliant player.

OR - Leroy Lita by a country mile. He had absolutely no ability. It always amused me how people thought he was destined for England or something. I'm not questioning his ability to score goals and i know thats the main thing with strikers. But he had less technical ability than Shaun Goater and no one raved about his skills like they did with Lita.

For the record i loved Shuan Goater, if only for the fact that he couldn't dribble through a line cones, but could still score 20+ a year no matter where he played.

That goal at Watford!!! Appauling first touch which was to hard, yet hard enough to tempt the keeper out (genius!) then when the keeper gets there, the goat connects with his shin, yet this is perfect as it loops over the on rushing keeper (genius again!).

What a player!

Remember that goal well, completely shinned that one! Jez, how many did we take to Watford that day, there were thousands of us there

<br />Remember that goal well, completely shinned that one! Jez, how many did we take to Watford that day, there were thousands of us there<br />

Was one hell of a day out!

17 at the time and i remember it was the first time i had been away on the train. All i can say is, what an eye opener!!!!!! In one day i discovered a whole new side to follwing football.

'Bumping' into Millwall at Euston anyone?

Going back a bit now, but Gary Shelton and Adam Locke were two under rated players

As for over rated, I agree with anyone who has said Doherty & Lita, and to go back a bit further Andy Llewellyn was never a fav of mine - but (as with what people are saying about Matt Hill) because he was from Bristol he was a legend. But he did hate the Gash with a passion, which I can only admire the bloke for!

Adam Locke. Brilliant shout on that one. Quality Right Back.

Over-rated (as it happens he played at the same time as Adam Locke) would have to go to Matt Hewlett. Never saw what he brought to the team, yet he played loads of games for us. (accodring to wiki, 127 times scoring 9 goals)

To many - Over rated - Orr the bloke couldn't pass, Akinbyi, Steve Phillips, David 1 good game 4 bad Noble.

Under rated - Dele Adebola, Martin Scott, Billy Mercer, Ivan Tistimitanu, Steve Torpey, Andrew Jordan. To name but a few

To many - Over rated - Orr the bloke couldn't pass, Akinbyi, Steve Phillips, David 1 good game 4 bad Noble.

Under rated - Dele Adebola, Martin Scott, Billy Mercer, Ivan Tistimitanu, Steve Torpey, Andrew Jordan. To name but a few

Under rated? By whom? Have them washed, fed and sent to my room - where I will put them right on a few matters. Part of the holy trinity, Scott, Barnard, Bell

Archived