IGNORED

The Future

Thought Wilson was outstanding today, like a brick wall, Edwards needs to work on positioning but was always there to make up for it, tackle in the 1st half was awesome. Reid was average but I'm sure we'll see more of him next year as he seemed to lack confidence. Well done youngsters, looking good :fingerscrossed:

Nice to hear. Thinks we can be top six if we can have a solid defence. We now have many goalscorers. I hope and believes that Nicky will stay. COME ON YOU REDS!!!

Pick of the bunch for me was wilson. Ok it was against opposition who didnt really care but he didnt put a foot wrong and it was his first 90 mins for about 18 months.

Edwards did ok and was quite intelligent on the ball. As stated positional sense not there but it will come. Not easy first game in championship to fit straight in at rightback. Im sure i read on here he can play in the centre. Cant see it myself if that is true.

Reid did look tidy and was quite happy spraying it around. Hopefully in the next 2 years he can develop, grow into an adult and become a usefull player. Hes certainly got a good football brain. Another 4-6 inches and an extra stone of muscle and we could have a quicker, more physical lee johnson on our hands. Not for another couple of years yet though.

Well future wise the really good news for next season is Millen seems to have already set the bar really high, if this quote is to be believed. " I believe we can be a promotion force next season with the right additions during the summer."

To be honest I would be happy just to spend next season being in the play off shake up, to keep the belief that our season will carry on towards the end of May.

I can't wait.

I thought all three of the new young lads did well today and if I had to pick one, it would be Wilson who looks and plays a lot like Steve Caulker.

He was rock solid at the back, admittedly (as has been said above) against a poor Hull side. It will be interesting to see how he performs against really fired-up opposition.

So bad were Hull today, I wondered (given they had nothing to play for) if they had been told to back off to make sure SL had a good send off ?

That would be strictly against FA rules of course.

Am I right that all three new lads came up through the Academy ? I think so, in which case - good on you Millen, because GJ seemed to ignore the Academy.

I am now very optimistic about next season.

Have to disagree about Reid, I thought he was quite impressive and confident, and I look forward to following his progress, especially as he grows into his kit! I think Joe Edwards needs to get on the weights during the summer as he seems quite small for a twenty year old. Wilson looks excellent.

I dont agree, he will become a good player, but I thought he was poor today, was caught out and pushed off the ball too easily, which is something more matches will cure I think. Wilson was excellent & Edwards is pretty damn good. Was impressed with both

Edwards was very impressive today..looks like a great future prospect! Wilson reminded me of Caulker today...looked solid at the back :)

Hmm not sure what to make of reid...maybe he was very nervous but didnt impress me as much as the other youngsters. Would have liked to have seen jackson or holloway come on instead of Clarkson!! -.- overall looks like a good future for city!! :city:

Don't forget this was Reid's first team debut and the lad is just 18 years old. How do you think that feels at that age in front of 15K fans ?

Of course he will make mistakes in these circumstances, but I thought he displayed plenty of footballing skills today, although (understandably) lacking experience - especially in close one to one encounters on the ball.

Give the lad a chance. Today felt like when I first pushed my kids off on a bike without stabilisers and I shouted to them, pedal hard !

They made it - and so will he.

I think it's plainly obvious that Reid's game isn't running past people and jinking down the wing. He likes to look up and pass the ball, sit deeper and pick it up from defence and link the play, similar one might suggest to Lee Johnson.

If people's only gripe with an 18 year olds performance was that he was knocked off the ball too easily ( considering he is nowhere near "fully grown") then he must have been impressive!

The thing that excited me most about Reid was his composure and confidence to carry the ball on his debut. You can coach most aspects of a football players skills, but confidence like that is a rare and natural talent and one that fills me with excitement at his potential for the future.

Think people are being too kind. We were carved open with ease on at least 3 occasions, better opposition would have punished us.

Harsh, considering we lost the first game of the season 3 nil with experienced pros and yet we won this game 3 nil, finishing the game with 3 rookies

I dont agree, he will become a good player, but I thought he was poor today, was caught out and pushed off the ball too easily, which is something more matches will cure I think. Wilson was excellent & Edwards is pretty damn good. Was impressed with both

On the contrary, Edwards definitely suffered from being knocked off the ball a couple of times in the first half, right in front of me. Likewise in the second half I had a good view of Reid's contribution, and despite my worst fears when I saw the size of him, this was not the case, he wasn't pushed off the ball too easily. In the case of both players, if we'd being playing in a meaningful game with committed opposition they would have struggled physically and been an exploitable weakness. Wilson was the only player of the young un's, at present, to have the physicality to play at this level.

On the contrary, Edwards definitely suffered from being knocked off the ball a couple of times in the first half, right in front of me. Likewise in the second half I had a good view of Reid's contribution, and despite my worst fears when I saw the size of him, this was not the case, he wasn't pushed off the ball too easily. In the case of both players, if we'd being playing in a meaningful game with committed opposition they would have struggled physically and been an exploitable weakness. Wilson was the only player of the young un's, at present, to have the physicality to play at this level.

Wilson is 22 years old, 3 or 4 years older than Edwards and Reid, so it's not really surprising really and really a young un.

Agree, Wilson last two games as looked like he been there all season, respect though a player who as gone under the radar and who has played very well Nytanaga he is still young, Wilson him did get caught out a couple of times over the top, they look ok, WELSH FOOTBALL AINT THAT SHIKT.

James Wilson is around 6ft 2 and 13stone. He could be an able replacement for Caulker given a solid pre season.

We may have Carey, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Stewart and Wilson competing for the centerback positions. For me Wilson would be one with Fontaine the other. Nyatanga has shown maturity since playing a run of games and both he and Wilson are only 22.

Wilson had an excellent half season on loan with Brentford and they were desperate to sign him full time. He has always given me the opinion of being young and hungary for success, more so than Ribiero.

If you have watched Wilson closely, you will note that he is comfortable in the air and on the ground. He looks like he has time, usually a good sign of class.

The other 4 centerbacks are good in certain fields, but I dont see any of them with the all round quality of Wilson. He's had my vote for 4 years, a success in the making.

James Wilson is around 6ft 2 and 13stone. He could be an able replacement for Caulker given a solid pre season.

We may have Carey, Fontaine, Nyatanga, Stewart and Wilson competing for the centerback positions. For me Wilson would be one with Fontaine the other. Nyatanga has shown maturity since playing a run of games and both he and Wilson are only 22.

Wilson had an excellent half season on loan with Brentford and they were desperate to sign him full time. He has always given me the opinion of being young and hungary for success, more so than Ribiero.

If you have watched Wilson closely, you will note that he is comfortable in the air and on the ground. He looks like he has time, usually a good sign of class.

The other 4 centerbacks are good in certain fields, but I dont see any of them with the all round quality of Wilson. He's had my vote for 4 years, a success in the making.

He reminded me of Danny Coles when he first broke into our first team. Hopefully he will go on to become better than him.

Can Pitman play the lone striker role? Obviously Pitman is undoubtedly one for the future but if we were to play a lone striker, at this moment in time Stead would be the man IMO.

He's 23, very much one for the present. Not sure he has the strength nor stamina yet to play that lone role. I cant see playing with his back to goal or effectively running the channels for 90 on his own.

Had a good first season but i still think he can get fitter. Pre season with us will help.

He's 23, very much one for the present. Not sure he has the strength nor stamina yet to play that lone role. I cant see playing with his back to goal or effectively running the channels for 90 on his own.

Had a good first season but i still think he can get fitter. Pre season with us will help.

Quality finisher, but runs like Tommy Doc. Stamina and running aren't his strong points. What a finish yesterday though.

Well future wise the really good news for next season is Millen seems to have already set the bar really high, if this quote is to be believed. " I believe we can be a promotion force next season with the right additions during the summer."

To be honest I would be happy just to spend next season being in the play off shake up, to keep the belief that our season will carry on towards the end of May.

I can't wait.

To be fair Millie has little option but to say that, and hopefully mean it, because of detractors like you and me and many others. By being critical, and in my view generally constructively critical, it spurs him on... or it should do. I would be. Criticism hurts and you want to prove your opponent or challenger wrong, that is human nature. So constructive criticism should continue and channelled in the right way it can have a very positive impact. englandsmile4wf.gif

He reminded me of Danny Coles when he first broke into our first team. Hopefully he will go on to become better than him.

Agreed, if Coles had been remotely professional he would have played at at least our level for a long time. Mind you it wasn't a very professionally run club then and he wasn't the only one who failed to achieve what he should have. Wilson I trust will not, and will not be allowed to, do the same.:fingerscrossed:

Wilson looked a good player but as others noted there was not much contest from Hull.

I thought Edwards had a poor game which made his MOTM surprising.

Reid looked nervous when he came on but this is to be expected. He demanded the ball later on and this is encouraging. When he passes 8 stone them he could be a hell of a player laughcont.gif.

For all of them though, it was almost their first game at Ashton Gate and they can only get better.

What was the average age of the team that finished the game? It must have been near to a record surely?

Ps Obviously we don't count James' age as Hull's performance meant he wasn't really playing at the end....

Archived