IGNORED

Advice Needed

Stockport County Football Club are looking to recruit a football manager. All applicants should have appropriate qualifications and experience relevant to this very important role and will need to provide full CV with any application.

The Board of Directors are expecting to interview applicants that fulfill the required criteria at the earliest opportunity.

All applications should be made in confidence to the club secretary Tony Whiteside via email to

, or in writing to: -

Stockport County Football Club

Edgeley Park

Hardcastle Road

Edgeley

Stockport

Cheshire

SK3 9DD

Thought I may as well as apply but before firing off the email ,consider it only fair that I ask the great and the good on this board for a few tips should I for example highlight the total football concept i would introduce or just stick to the catering and half time entertainment.

Any advice most welcome

STOCKPORT TILL I DIE

It's many years since I've been to Edgeley Park. However, the two things I remmeber are:

• It poured with rain and there was an open terraced away end
  • The most interesting thing about the match was watching planes coming in to land at Manchester airport

I therefore suggest the following application:

Sir,

Whilst being an advocate of "total football" I also know some people who can provide umbrellas at a very reasonable rate. My first money making scheme is to hire out umbrellas to visiting fans.

Also, as well as a practitioner of the 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 (depending on width of pitch) I am a keen plane spotter. The stories I can tell you and the players about twin props!

Please therefore consider my application.

kind regards,

blah blah blah

I've retired, plus Stockport is too far north for my constitution.

I don't think that there is a need to travel from your home to do this job. Surely, the newest and most progressive way to manage a professional football club is from the comfort of a keyboard? That way it's possible to say exactly what one would like to say to the players, agents, the chairman, supporters and the press without having to deal with them face-to-face.

It's far simpler to devise tactics from an armchair whilst watching edited highlights rather than standing on the touchline at the training ground freezing your plums off. That way, you can fast forward through the boring bits of the game. Also you can enjoy a cider or three while you're deciding on the required formation or team changes.

Transfers can be sorted out quickly by assessing the talents of players via YouTube, Fifa11 and Football Manager. Their availability can be investigated by reference to Sky Sports News, The Daily Mirror and Football Rumours. Message boards such as OTIB are also a gold mine of information.

I can't think of a single reason why one couldn't be a Virtual Football Manager. Taking everything into consideration, I believe that it should be possible to manage a football club in the very same way that Charlie managed his Angels back in the '70's. All one needs is a Bosley-type character to take training.

So Robbered, don't let the fact that you live in North Somerset prevent you from putting yourself forward for the Stockport role. Once conquered you could even consider bigger and better roles overseas - with Barca perhaps - thanks to the miracle of Google Translate.

I'll tell you what though...

Stockport County have got far better Catering and corperate Entertainment, than us,it puts our Club to shame. Silly I know, but when you consider how poor their Stadium is, and how far down the league they are, it just shows how far City need to improve that side of things, if they are to attract potential sponsers and corperate buyers in the future. I really do think we are miles behind with that sort of thing, and unfortunately it's important in this day and age.

The Football Club and Sale sharks who share their ground really do that well.

Please see my covering letter unfortunately not all my own work and credit goes to a certain John Boileau

Personal Statement

I am an ambitious football manager with vast experience (on Football Manager 2009) of managing lower and higher level clubs both in England and abroad. I have managed in both the Premier League and the championship in England, and Serie A, La Liga and the Swedish Premier League.

I'm also a disciple of OTIB (Bristol City Forum), which has proved an invaluable aid and surely compensates for any lack of formal coaching qualification. I have developed an acute understanding on tactics, players ability and wage structure, through the numerous experts who frequent this board. Therefore making a number 2 totally redundant and thus freeing up the budget for a left footed midfield dynamo.

Career Highlights

Signing Thierry Henry, Raul and Fernando Torres as the three main strikers at Doncaster.

Taking Rushden and Diamonds to the Champions League final (unfortunately we lost to Ajax in extra time). The Rushden and Diamonds team that day included Zinidine Zidane and Ronaldinho, who are two players I'm sure the small Northamptonshire club never expected to see running out for them.

Taking charge of Bristol City (my home town club) and taking them from the League One to the Champions League in four years.

Football Manager 2009 Highlights

2004 to 2016, Manager, Bristol City Football Club

Took the mighty City from League One to the Champions League during my eleven year reign at the club.

2005 - 2015, Manager, Rushden and Diamonds Football Club

Managed Rusden and Diamonds. Took the small Northamptonshire club from relative obscurity in League Two to Premier League and European Champions in just ten years. My signings included Zinidine Zidane, Raul, Francesco Totti, Roberto Carlos and Phillipe Mexes. I was actually dismissed from my post in 2015 when Rusden finished 4th in the Premier League and only reached the quarter finals of the Champion's League. How's that for gratitude?

2005 to 2011, Manager, Doncaster Rovers Football Club

Took Doncaster from League Two to the Premier League and the semi-finals of the Champion's League. I also signed a whole host of foreign stars and blooded a number of youth players that became England internationals. This was one of my happiest periods in football management, but did lead to my wife threatening to leave me due to the hours I was putting in at the PC.

Other Qualifications

7 GCSEs, including Maths (useful for working out points and goal difference and stuff) and French (useful for those foreign players,).

3 'A' Levels, including Geography, so I can drive the team bus if needs be.

BA Hons Degree in English. Can't think of anything relevant from my degree, so I'll play the old 'transferable skills' card...

References

Available on request

Please see my covering letter unfortunately not all my own work and credit goes to a certain John Boileau

Personal Statement

I am an ambitious football manager with vast experience (on Football Manager 2009) of managing lower and higher level clubs both in England and abroad. I have managed in both the Premier League and the championship in England, and Serie A, La Liga and the Swedish Premier League.

I'm also a disciple of OTIB (Bristol City Forum), which has proved an invaluable aid and surely compensates for any lack of formal coaching qualification. I have developed an acute understanding on tactics, players ability and wage structure, through the numerous experts who frequent this board. Therefore making a number 2 totally redundant and thus freeing up the budget for a left footed midfield dynamo.

Career Highlights

Signing Thierry Henry, Raul and Fernando Torres as the three main strikers at Doncaster.

Taking Rushden and Diamonds to the Champions League final (unfortunately we lost to Ajax in extra time). The Rushden and Diamonds team that day included Zinidine Zidane and Ronaldinho, who are two players I'm sure the small Northamptonshire club never expected to see running out for them.

Taking charge of Bristol City (my home town club) and taking them from the League One to the Champions League in four years.

Football Manager 2009 Highlights

2004 to 2016, Manager, Bristol City Football Club

Took the mighty City from League One to the Champions League during my eleven year reign at the club.

2005 - 2015, Manager, Rushden and Diamonds Football Club

Managed Rusden and Diamonds. Took the small Northamptonshire club from relative obscurity in League Two to Premier League and European Champions in just ten years. My signings included Zinidine Zidane, Raul, Francesco Totti, Roberto Carlos and Phillipe Mexes. I was actually dismissed from my post in 2015 when Rusden finished 4th in the Premier League and only reached the quarter finals of the Champion's League. How's that for gratitude?

2005 to 2011, Manager, Doncaster Rovers Football Club

Took Doncaster from League Two to the Premier League and the semi-finals of the Champion's League. I also signed a whole host of foreign stars and blooded a number of youth players that became England internationals. This was one of my happiest periods in football management, but did lead to my wife threatening to leave me due to the hours I was putting in at the PC.

Other Qualifications

7 GCSEs, including Maths (useful for working out points and goal difference and stuff) and French (useful for those foreign players,).

3 'A' Levels, including Geography, so I can drive the team bus if needs be.

BA Hons Degree in English. Can't think of anything relevant from my degree, so I'll play the old 'transferable skills' card...

References

Available on request

Millen out!! :protest:

It's many years since I've been to Edgeley Park. However, the two things I remmeber are:

• It poured with rain and there was an open terraced away end
  • The most interesting thing about the match was watching planes coming in to land at Manchester airport

Yes, it always rains there, but you missed out the most important thing: "Bloody good pies!"

Archived