IGNORED

Bobby Reid

CityGill

Hi all, this is the first post I've made from my phone so hope it comes out ok.

I was just thinking that if Bobby Reid is highly thought of by the club, and they think he has the ability to play at this level or higher, but it turns out he does not have the physical attributes, could the club consider doing something like Barcelona did with Messi in regards to growth hormones. I'm not suggesting it should be an immediate course of action, and I'm no doctor, but its obviously been done before to great effect.

Hi all, this is the first post I've made from my phone so hope it comes out ok.

I was just thinking that if Bobby Reid is highly thought of by the club, and they think he has the ability to play at this level or higher, but it turns out he does not have the physical attributes, could the club consider doing something like Barcelona did with Messi in regards to growth hormones. I'm not suggesting it should be an immediate course of action, and I'm no doctor, but its obviously been done before to great effect.

They stated the Hormones in his early teens, Bit late for Bobby now. He's still naturally growing, and for a player like him size isn't everything. You don't need to be 6 foot to be a top class player.

Exactly. Course, with prevailing attitudes in English football say a decade or 2 ago, some do question whether I dunno Xavi, Iniesta, Messi would have made it due to their size and physique.

Gerry Gow? not exactly blessed with altitude!

Gerry Gow? not exactly blessed with altitude!

True he was an excellent player, it is a theory though. Anyway there is another one that says we probably don't prioritise technique enough as a nation but that's probably for another thread! There's so much that could be said on either side about technical standards in English football.

True he was an excellent player, it is a theory though. Anyway there is another one that says we probably don't prioritise technique enough as a nation but that's probably for another thread! There's so much that could be said on either side about technical standards in English football.

Unfortunately technicality in this country won't improve until we learn from Spanish/Italian/Brazilian coaches...whilst we still employ and use as role models people like Pulis, Allardyce and Mark Hughes then as a footballing nation employing 'our own' we will never progress.

Unfortunately technicality in this country won't improve until we learn from Spanish/Italian/Brazilian coaches...whilst we still employ and use as role models people like Pulis, Allardyce and Mark Hughes then as a footballing nation employing 'our own' we will never progress.

True. In fairness to Hughes I think Fulham play decent enough football but yeah overall with regards overall technical nature of the game I find it a bit lacking. Sure the top sides do have some very gifted individuals and clever coaches but generally I agree. In defence of Pulis, Allardyce and others of a similar nature though perhaps their budget means that if they try significantly more expansive football then relegation may beckon. Goes down to grassroots IMO in which case as well as those you list, Dutch, Portugese, Argentine, French (bit of lean patch lately but still good last couple of decades) and possibly even German (they were quite good in WC) models could be worth looking at.

True. In fairness to Hughes I think Fulham play decent enough football but yeah overall with regards overall technical nature of the game I find it a bit lacking. Sure the top sides do have some very gifted individuals and clever coaches but generally I agree. In defence of Pulis, Allardyce and others of a similar nature though perhaps their budget means that if they try significantly more expansive football then relegation may beckon. Goes down to grassroots IMO in which case as well as those you list, Dutch, Portugese, Argentine, French (bit of lean patch lately but still good last couple of decades) and possibly even German (they were quite good in WC) models could be worth looking at.

and yet 'our own' coaches still have to take European coaching badges? Why is it we still refer to english ways as soon as jobs become available and everything that is 'learnt' is cast aside! I am fearful for kids like Bobby Reid who impressed me immensely with his desire to look for the ball and attempt to do something with it....is this going to be drilled out of him in the obsession in this country to play a pre designed role? I miss the days when individuality was at the forefront of our great game something europeans learned from us and kept yet we no longer see as a viable option...give me Tony Currie, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington and to a lesser extent Gazza any day

Exactly. Course, with prevailing attitudes in English football say a decade or 2 ago, some do question whether I dunno Xavi, Iniesta, Messi would have made it due to their size and physique.

I read an interview with Trevor Brooking a while back where he said that young players were being systematically rejected if they were not 6 foot and strong and athletic. Hard to see English attitudes changing. We fans don't always help; we so often demand a big man up front and are not renowned for our patience if our teams concentrate on keeping possession. "Get rid of it" is not a cry you would hear in Spain I suspect but I still hear it regularly here.:disapointed2se:

and yet 'our own' coaches still have to take European coaching badges? Why is it we still refer to english ways as soon as jobs become available and everything that is 'learnt' is cast aside! I am fearful for kids like Bobby Reid who impressed me immensely with his desire to look for the ball and attempt to do something with it....is this going to be drilled out of him in the obsession in this country to play a pre designed role? I miss the days when individuality was at the forefront of our great game something europeans learned from us and kept yet we no longer see as a viable option...give me Tony Currie, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington and to a lesser extent Gazza any day

Trust me, the FA's Coaching system is back there with the Dinosaur's.

Many talented young footballers go by the wayside in this Country, because they aren't 'Natural Athletes'. Our game needs to change, but it won't, because the British set up is seen as the most exciting and most profitable League in the World. Some of the Foreign coaches over here are trying to develop a 'Continental' system at some Clubs, but they use mainly Foreign players.

You'd pay good money to go and watch the players you've named. Sadly they are a distant memory. Matt le tissier and Glen Hoddle were probably the last of that ilk of British player.

Barcelona did with Messi in regards to growth hormones.

Did this 'Frankinstien' like medical treatment actually work though?

I mean he's hardly banging his head as he walks through doorways now is he, left to mature without these hormones, whose to say he wouldn't be the same height he is now, maybe taller?

His height, or lack of it, gives Messi great balance and poise when in possession.

I find the whole thing rather freaky and unesscessary.

After tests as a child he was predicted to grow to 4 foot 7 inches. It had nothing to do with football. He was diagnosed with a growth deficiency, and his parents couldn't afford the medical fees each Month. Newells Old Boys wouldn't pay the Monthly fees, but Barcelona offered to pay for them if he signed for them. He grew apparantly 17 cm in just over a year, after starting to take the injections.

Lots of people with growth deficiency's outside of football have these hormone injections.

I do agree, that his low centre of gravity helps in his fast dribbling skills, very much like Maradonna. Pity Tommy Doc couldn't run... :tumbleweed:

After tests as a child he was predicted to grow to 4 foot 7 inches. It had nothing to do with football. He was diagnosed with a growth deficiency, and his parents couldn't afford the medical fees each Month. Newells Old Boys wouldn't pay the Monthly fees, but Barcelona offered to pay for them if he signed for them. He grew apparantly 17 cm in just over a year, after starting to take the injections.

Lots of people with growth deficiency's outside of football have these hormone injections.

I do agree, that his low centre of gravity helps in his fast dribbling skills, very much like Maradonna. Pity Tommy Doc couldn't run... :tumbleweed:

I would love to see a player that short. He could run through defender's legs.

I would love to see a player that short. He could run through defender's legs.

We had one... Alec Eisentrager... He was my Dads favourite player as a kid. I got Alec to sign the 'Bristol City Greats' book for him in 2005 at the players reunion. He's treasured it ever since.

Archived