IGNORED

Gary Johnson

cityfan

curbishly nooo he has already stated on sports talk he is a prem manger well me thinks he is up his own bottom and who would want him him anyway talking on a really crap radio station the only ones that think they are good is them please keys and grey go join the 21st century you are a crap football pundit on a crap radio staion i cand only listen for 2 mins at the most and realise how sad old male attitudes they have

Good shout I reckon even if he has only been at Northampton for a short while

Lower league English Manager

Successful at league 1,2 and conference level

London boy

Affordable because he was not good enough for us at Championship level, what makes yoiu think he up to taking on a much bigger club than is with far more expectation?

Daft notion- absolutely no chance.

3 years ago he's be hotly tipped.

Funny how someones star can lose it's shine so quickly in football

Hotly tipped by us.

No offence to Gary, but for all the Prem jobs that became available when his star was rising with us, how many times did he appear on the bookies list(because I can't remember any).

Hotly tipped by us.

No offence to Gary, but for all the Prem jobs that became available when his star was rising with us, how many times did he appear on the bookies list(because I can't remember any).

Maybe not by bookies but the media? One reference I recall, a Guardian article in 2007 which described Gary Johnson as the modern day Don Revie...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/nov/25/features.sport12

AVIA, very true stock can rise and flal very quicky in football. Look at Benitez- excellent for Valencia and pretty good until the fnal year at Liverpool, yet sacked by Inter after half a season.

Maybe not by bookies but the media? One reference I recall, a Guardian article in 2007 which described Gary Johnson as the modern day Don Revie...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/nov/25/features.sport12

AVIA, very true stock can rise and flal very quicky in football. Look at Benitez- excellent for Valencia and pretty good until the fnal year at Liverpool, yet sacked by Inter after half a season.

No offence Mr P, but the Guardian doesn't employ football managers.

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of all speculation linking GJ to other jobs were started by this forum."Oh look [insert PL name here] have just sacked xyz, lets hope they don't go for Johnson".

Whilst, obviously this topic is bordering on the ridiculous, it still somewhat saddens me that an ex-manager of BCFC could be at such a low ebb as what he currently is.(And I was never a Johnson supporter)

No offence Mr P, but the Guardian doesn't employ football managers.

I would hazard a guess that 99.9% of all speculation linking GJ to other jobs were started by this forum."Oh look [insert PL name here] have just sacked xyz, lets hope they don't go for Johnson".

Whilst, obviously this topic is bordering on the ridiculous, it still somewhat saddens me that an ex-manager of BCFC could be at such a low ebb as what he currently is.(And I was never a Johnson supporter)

I agree with a good chunk of that eb, yeah I thought most of the links on here in recent years were less than credible. Also I would say about ther article that good manager though Johnson was, Revie was never quite an accurate comparison...Suggests that his stock has fallen spectacularly though- like you it's a bit sad. I was a Johnson fan though, undoubtedly.

I cant see why his stock has fallen so far, he did a fantastic job for us, regardless of whether things went stale at the end. Perhaps the Peterborough job was suitable - he would have gotten them in the playoffs if he had stayed but him working with Barry Fry (or anyone working with Barry Fry) could easily have gone belly up, which it did, but why would he take the Northampton job? - They can only go so far regardless of who is manager, In the Johnson years every time someone fired their boss I was praying that he wouldnt be poached.

I cant see why his stock has fallen so far, he did a fantastic job for us, regardless of whether things went stale at the end. Perhaps the Peterborough job was suitable - he would have gotten them in the playoffs if he had stayed but him working with Barry Fry (or anyone working with Barry Fry) could easily have gone belly up, which it did, but why would he take the Northampton job? - They can only go so far regardless of who is manager, In the Johnson years every time someone fired their boss I was praying that he wouldnt be poached.

Quite. While I'm not tipping him for the WHU job, like you say the job he has done with us- then contrast it with the usual bunch of incompetents and journeymen who seem to keep on getting higher profile jobs. In no apparent order: Laws, Hart, Taylor, Ince, Dowie, Roeder, Adams, Grant- on that last point, for arguments sake- would Johnson have done any worse than Grant? With a squad with 20 odd internationals, 7 wins in 37 games!?

Yes the Northampton job was very odd. I thought Posh was too at the time. I think he was too quick to take both jobs; something better would have come along soon enough. His apparent impatience has contributed to his stock falling. Perhaps if he gets the Cobblers promoted he will look out for a step up again but it was all so unnecessary.

Yes the Northampton job was very odd. I thought Posh was too at the time. I think he was too quick to take both jobs; something better would have come along soon enough. His apparent impatience has contributed to his stock falling. Perhaps if he gets the Cobblers promoted he will look out for a step up again but it was all so unnecessary.

He's managed Cambridge before- perhaps he likes the region.:icecream:

I cant see why his stock has fallen so far,

Be under no illusion that Johnson's departure from City was unnoticed by the football world. Despite City dressing it up as 'mutual agreement' ect ect, it would not have been lost that he left under a cloud. Johnson would have known that and thats why he was so keen to get another job. He then, within months leaves that club, also under a cloud and steps further down the divisions to join Northampton.

The football world is a relatively small world and Johnson's attitude and behaviour at both City and Posh would have become common knowledge within days of it happening. Players/coaches talk to other players/coaches and so on. Johnson will have to start again, get Northampton promoted and do well in Div 1 before he gets any credibility back.

Those are the reasons that his stock has fallen and to link him with WHU is truly laughable rofl2br.gif

Be under no illusion that Johnson's departure from City was unnoticed by the football world. Despite City dressing it up as 'mutual agreement' ect ect, it would not have been lost that he left under a cloud. Johnson would have known that and thats why he was so keen to get another job. He then, within months leaves that club, also under a cloud and steps further down the divisions to join Northampton.

The football world is a relatively small world and Johnson's attitude and behaviour at both City and Posh would have become common knowledge within days of it happening. Players/coaches talk to other players/coaches and so on. Johnson will have to start again, get Northampton promoted and do well in Div 1 before he gets any credibility back.

Those are the reasons that his stock has fallen and to link him with WHU is truly laughable rofl2br.gif

Like I say:

(Peter) Taylor, Laws, Roeder, Dowie, Ince, Grant- or Johnson? Is he really worse than that little lot?

Like I say:

(Peter) Taylor, Laws, Roeder, Dowie, Ince, Grant- or Johnson? Is he really worse than that little lot?

Peter Taylor has a reputation for not being able to manage very well. He's a far better coach. Thats why he's not a top club manager.

Don't know anything about Laws.

Glen Roeder is a good manager with a solid reputation. His health problem haven't helped his career.

Ince, still a managerial novice and imo not cut out to be a manager.

Dowie has done well in the past but his stock has fallen after too many failures. Thats why he's turned to punditry.

Grant - nothing to say about him other than he did ok at Chelsea.

Peter Taylor has a reputation for not being able to manage very well. He's a far better coach. Thats why he's not a top club manager.

Glen Roeder is a good manager with a solid reputation. His health problem haven't helped his career.

Dowie has done well in the past but his stock has fallen after too many failures. Thats why he's turned to punditry.

I fear even you could do OK at Chelsea.

They do have a reputation for varying levels of ineptitude though- rightly or wrongly. Agree on Ince especially, yeah Taylor doesn't seem to be a great manager- probably more of a coach as you say. Laws is a manager who although he did ok at S****horpe, played a key part in Sheff Wed going down last year, went to Burnley and found them in midtable only to win 3 from 18 and led them to some real hammerings at home where they had undoubtedly been strong or at least solid prior to that. He then lead Burnley to midtable in the CC this year by Christmas with a side on at least a par with the one Coyle had taken up. Roeder- yeah he did fine at Newcastle but on the whole, seems pretty moderate to me.

Don't know why he took such stupid jobs as Peterboro or Northampton

Posh was doomed to failure from day 1 and be surprised if he lasts long at Sixfields which was another odd choice of job.

Should have waited when leaving City, have a look at where and why it went wrong for him and waited for the right job, could easily have walked into s club like Coventry, Watford or a Sheffield Wed sized team,

His Career peaked at wembley and it's been a downhill since Orr's head injury, will he get another chance like that....who knows

Ludicrous thread. Amongst many other things, I suspect that West Ham might just notice his contempt for youth development, and that he was not exactly great at handling big name players. In all honesty, I can't see one single quality that would make him right for West Ham, and I think it's only a certain number of City fans who hold him in such high esteem. He's not even particularly highly regarded in Yeovil.

Sorry what?

Ludicrous thread. Amongst many other things, I suspect that West Ham might just notice his contempt for youth development, and that he was not exactly great at handling big name players. In all honesty, I can't see one single quality that would make him right for West Ham, and I think it's only a certain number of City fans who hold him in such high esteem. He's not even particularly highly regarded in Yeovil.

I woud say it's a very high percentage. Re Yeovil, I'm sure you're spot on there, after all he only won the FA Trophy, took them into the Football league for the first time in their history them took them up again to League 1, why on earth would they hold him in high regard ?

What ever happened to George Graham? And Graham Sourness? And Graham Taylor? Weird, a lot of grahams, but its actually a serious question, Graham for instance was quality, some managers just fall off the radar.

Graham's reputation was destroyed after he was suspended for taking a 425k 'bung'. I don't think he's worked in management after Spurs 10 years ago.. Souness never achieved anything and did more damage at the clubs he managed than good. Graham Taylor has pretty much retired and now spends his time in punditry.

Souness achieved plenty at rangers and was very successful at Blackburn.

But hey, Roeder is a good manager apparently...

You could be successful at Rangers and what did Souness actually win at Blackburn, apart form getting them back to PL? Pretty much any manager could have done that with the squad he had.

You could be successful at Rangers and what did Souness actually win at Blackburn, apart form getting them back to PL? Pretty much any manager could have done that with the squad he had.

the league cup and qualified for the uefa cup twice.

I woud say it's a very high percentage. Re Yeovil, I'm sure you're spot on there, after all he only won the FA Trophy, took them into the Football league for the first time in their history them took them up again to League 1, why on earth would they hold him in high regard ?

Not sure that it's a massive percentage, but we'll never really know. Positives were promotion and a play-off final, negatives were turning City into a family affair, ignoring the Academy, and spending a lot of money on incredibly ordinary players, most of whom had little re-sale value.

The Yeovil thing really surprised me when I started working down here, but he does seem to be viewed as 'Just another manager', and there are, allegedly, other negative aspects of his time at Yeovil that count against him. I would say that Russell Slade is more fondly remembered, but they seem less inclined to dwell on past glories, and Terry Skiverton does seem a very popular manager.

Archived