IGNORED

Bristol City's Drinking Culture

Monkeh

Similiarly greatly respect Johnson for what he did for our club in pointing out to the players that they could extend their careers as athletes by looking after themselves.

It took someone with Johnson's forceful character to take on the problem at City. Players like Akmankwah who went to Yeovil when he was still there said his players were fitter.

So thankyou Gary for bringing about a situation where Bristol City were taken seriously.

Have to agree with other posters in saying that a football manager cannot prevent a latent alcoholic becoming one however.

Absolutely, there was a reason why as well as those he knew that he could trust from Yeovil, (Weale, Jevons, McIndoe, his son and Fontaine) he brought in the likes of Basso and Enoch (just voted Tranmere's player of the year) too, who are both Christians and certainly not "Friday night in the nightclub" types that previous managers (especially Wilson) filled our squad with.

It was Marc Goodfellow (another complete waster, just released by Barrow at 29) who ended up in the ditch, by the way and Mark Lever, another Wilson signing has also had alcohol related issues, too.

Absolutely, there was a reason why as well as those he knew that he could trust from Yeovil, (Weale, Jevons, McIndoe, his son and Fontaine) he brought in the likes of Basso and Enoch (just voted Tranmere's player of the year) too, who are both Christians and certainly not "Friday night in the nightclub" types that previous managers (especially Wilson) filled our squad with.

It was Marc Goodfellow (another complete waster, just released by Barrow at 29) who ended up in the ditch, by the way and Mark Lever, another Wilson signing has also had alcohol related issues, too.

All footballers are not alcoholics but for far too long football was second to boose and golf at this club. When Benny took over from Ward he had to start pre season training during the season. Players having been out in Birmingham the night before throwing up at training sessions, players complaining over missing their golf rounds training twice a day etc. Spoiled childs.

Are you blaming Wilson for allowing Hawkins to develop alcoholism? Riaz seems to suggest that it was down to Wilson that Roberts developed the same problem.

The bottom line is that once someone loses the ability to stop when they've started drinking its game over . It can happen at early age or kick in later in life and might take several years for the penny to drop as was the case with both Hawkins and Roberts, but once control is lost, it stays lost.

Thats why recovering alcoholics don't touch it. Even after years of abstinence, one alcoholic drink will send you back to where you once were. Its as if you have become allergic to alcohol.

There is one particular saying in AA that always stick in my mind - 'One drink is too many, and ten ain't enough'

Reckon he certainly didnt help. Danny Coles, Leapy, and the Doc were also well known pissheads too. Scott Brown and Brooker got in the shit under your favorite manager, but they were here in Wilsons day, learning well.

Suggests he wasnt interested in stopping it. And it goes a long way to explain performances during his reign, specially as the squad Wonderson had was probably stronger overall than Johnson's, and the vast majority of which plainly did not acheive the potential, unlike Johnsons which clearly did.

Johnsons greatest acheivement is stopping the drinking culture. It will be VERY interesting to see if it stays dead. Be interesting to see what Robbo has to say on the subject n all.

I dont disagree with the alcoholism remarks, my dad was one, and its all true.

It will be VERY interesting to see if it stays dead. Be interesting to see what Robbo has to say on the subject n all.

Remember that Millen was a player during Wilson's tenure and would have seen first hand what a negative impact alcohol can have on certain players. He was also number two when Johnson dealt with the problem and very aware of the problems Brooker, Orr et al had after a night on the piss.

Being a smart cookie I have no concerns at all that Millen would allow a drinking culture become established again. The club and Millen are far more professional than they were 8-10 years ago. The pitfalls of alcohol use are also far more understood and players are educated accordingly.

Remember that Millen was a player during Wilson's tenure and would have seen first hand what a negative impact alcohol can have on certain players. He was also number two when Johnson dealt with the problem and very aware of the problems Brooker, Orr et al had after a night on the piss.

Being a smart cookie I have no concerns at all that Millen would allow a drinking culture become established again. The club and Millen are far more professional than they were 8-10 years ago. The pitfalls of alcohol use are also far more understood and players are educated accordingly.

I'd like to think so, but players in all leagues are still becoming alcoholics, so I wouldnt be so confident it wont happen again.

Some of the fitness shown by some players is as poor as it was under Wilson. they clearly aint as fit as they were under Johnson.

I'd like to think so, but players in all leagues are still becoming alcoholics, so I wouldnt be so confident it wont happen again.

Some of the fitness shown by some players is as poor as it was under Wilson. they clearly aint as fit as they were under Johnson.

Yeah mean the super fit Johnson players who constantly conceded endless late goals?

People mention Johnson getting rid of drinking culture, but did he??? Just because he said he did doesn't mean he actually did......

Noble - total pisshead signed by GJ

gerken - arrested shortly after joining for threatening behaviour while out on a Saturday night in town on the piss

Marv, Carey, Gavin Williams and who can forget Nick Carle all players who during their times at City have been regularly seen out and about on the juice!

The drinking culture is still alive and kicking whether we like it or not, always has been, unfortunately probably always will be

He doesnt want to "get sorted" because he doesn't see that he has any problem. It's my Mum I feel sorry for, not him. Believe me it's not nice living with an aggressive violent bully who can't see that he has any kind of problem. I know it's an illness, I've had to live with it over half my life, but I don't feel sorry for him anymore because it's a waste of energy.

Believe me it's no fun having a verbally abusive, sometimes violent parent. I've had to take that attitude to protect myself from any more hurt.

Yes. Its a waste of energy as you say. An addict have to reach the bottom line, then stop or die. Its a great problem in the whole Europe that young people start drinking and take other drugs. Look what Carlsberg does in Africa big big PR for their beer. The result is, they have a great drinking problem in many countries there. Here in Sweden we have the same problem. We are now in EU and have hardly no border. Bos, beers, wine and drugs are now occupy our country. Its the lobbyists for alcohol who rules. If the people get addicts they are no threat to the power. Simple as that, but anyway COME ON YOU REDS!!!

There are approximately 2500 professional footballers over the 92 league clubs. National conservative alcohol figures say that 5% of the population have alcohol dependency syndrome. Thats around 125 pro footballers with a serious alcohol problem as we discuss the topic. The figures put the issue into context.

One or two of them might currently be at City just as they were 10 years ago. Then again there might not be any.

Yeah mean the super fit Johnson players who constantly conceded endless late goals?

People mention Johnson getting rid of drinking culture, but did he??? Just because he said he did doesn't mean he actually did......

Noble - total pisshead signed by GJ

gerken - arrested shortly after joining for threatening behaviour while out on a Saturday night in town on the piss

Marv, Carey, Gavin Williams and who can forget Nick Carle all players who during their times at City have been regularly seen out and about on the juice!

The drinking culture is still alive and kicking whether we like it or not, always has been, unfortunately probably always will be

Actually it was for having a pee in public.

Go to any City Centre on a Friday/ saturday night, or go to any City away game where we have a decent following and you will see the drinking culture. "Cider in a can" - Apart from the product being an abomination that bears little resemblence to proper cider, an alcohol related chant. And we wonder why players, with huge salaries and too much free time end up drinking. There is no doubt that GJ did finally tackle the drinking culture, but to put it as 'Wilson Bad, Johnson Good' is very over-simplistic. Wilson did a good job at City, although continually selecting an out of sorts Lee Peacock and overlooking Lita in his final season was strange.

We say alcoholism is a disease to make alcoholics get help. But it isn't really and you shouldn't feel obliged to put up with it in the same way as if a family member had a real disease.

Alcoholism is a choice. Whilst you can be deluded about the consequences to some degree (especially egotistical footballers), people who choose alcoholism don't give a shit about the consequences or are weak.

This is not to say alcoholics are deserving of contempt. We all have issues - so we should be understanding of others'.

We say alcoholism is a disease to make alcoholics get help. But it isn't really and you shouldn't feel obliged to put up with it in the same way as if a family member had a real disease.

Alcoholism is a choice. Whilst you can be deluded about the consequences to some degree (especially egotistical footballers), people who choose alcoholism don't give a shit about the consequences or are weak.

This is not to say alcoholics are deserving of contempt. We all have issues - so we should be understanding of others'.

You are opening a can worms but the World Health Organisation recognises alcohol dependency (alcoholism) as a disease. International classification of diseases book 10 ( ICD10) section F.1

Trust me, no-one would choose to be an alcoholic.

lets not turn it into a Johnson vs Wilson debate even Robbored is staying clear of that one,

End of the day I don't mind players going out to enjoy theirself we can so why can't they,

Thats not the issue its turning up to training as DW said in his interview smelling of beer and causing trouble in the town centre like Brooker and orr etc thats the problem

That was largely tackled, there will always be a few off field things going on like Gerks having a pee in town and getting caught or Noble having a drink (yes gj signed him but GJ also shipped him out like carle and Mcindoe so don't use that against him)

Millen was part of the set up under Tinman and Johnson who both tackled the issues we had tinman couldn't because he was to pally with the players johnson did,

Millen is manager now and I question him on his tactics but I have 100% faith in him not to let our squad slip back to where they were in the Wilson days,

only have to look at the gas and see that we don't want that I mean they have players threatening to fight fans in the carpark for god sake,

The booze culture at Cardiff cost them promotion this season. Their players were on the piss every week, I remember seeing them out whilst Drinkwater was on loan and chatting to him, he was telling me that he had never known anything like it and was glad to be going home!

Cardiff needed a win against Boro to be promoted in their last home game of the season the game was played on bank holiday Monday, the Saturday night/Sunday morning before Cardiff players were out on the pop absolutely steaming, if that's not bad enough a certain Mr Chopra and loanee (j-Lloyd Samuel were drinking until 3am that very day of the game!

All this before arguably the most important game of their careers!

Going back to City players who liked a drink, I went out with a few lads who own a shop that supplied a certain Mr Peacock with his clobber once and it's fair to say that he was a top, top bloke, he really could drink too and at one point had to be stopped from his antics of jumping from one canal boat to the next as his balance wasn't the best!!!! Where is he now?

The booze culture at Cardiff cost them promotion this season. Their players were on the piss every week, I remember seeing them out whilst Drinkwater was on loan and chatting to him, he was telling me that he had never known anything like it and was glad to be going home!

Cardiff needed a win against Boro to be promoted in their last home game of the season the game was played on bank holiday Monday, the Saturday night/Sunday morning before Cardiff players were out on the pop absolutely steaming, if that's not bad enough a certain Mr Chopra and loanee (j-Lloyd Samuel were drinking until 3am that very day of the game!

All this before arguably the most important game of their careers!

Going back to City players who liked a drink, I went out with a few lads who own a shop that supplied a certain Mr Peacock with his clobber once and it's fair to say that he was a top, top bloke, he really could drink too and at one point had to be stopped from his antics of jumping from one canal boat to the next as his balance wasn't the best!!!! Where is he now?

Released by Grimsby Town.

It is a disease, you're talking rubbish mate, without meaning to sound rude. It's like those people who say that those who have depression should "man up". It's as much an illness as the flu is, people just don't understand it because it's more mental than physical.

What I currently do basically involves all this sort of stuff so I know what I'm on about.

It is a disease, you're talking rubbish mate, without meaning to sound rude. It's like those people who say that those who have depression should "man up". It's as much an illness as the flu is, people just don't understand it because it's more mental than physical.

What I currently do basically involves all this sort of stuff so I know what I'm on about.

It's a disease, fair enough, but it's a disease where the prescribed treatment would surely be not drinking. I know it's not easy for an alcoholic, but isn't that exactly what recovering alcoholics do, not drink?

So far as I can see, your employer not tolerating a culture that positively encourages drinking can only be of assistance, and the reverse a definite hindrance.

I suffer with depression and ppl who tell me to man up normally get a whack,

as with alcoholics its not a simple case of "Stop drinking then" or "man the **** up",

Its pyscological its a bit like telling a muderer not to kill or Rovers to stop being shit at football, it just doesn't happen

The thing is, drinking perse isn't altogether bad- especially when young. Hell, being a student I probably drink more than I should on nights out but the key I think is that when you're young for a few years you can perhaps handle it- it's getting off the heavy drinking after said period. That's where the real problem lies I'd have thought.Course, this doesn't necessarily go fot footballers due to the need to be in a very good physical condition.

As much as it pains me to say it, RR is right. Of course it exists everywhere. Not Danny Wilson's fault at all.

It is a problem but strong managers can stop it at his club, Johnson done it, the first thing Ferguson done at Man U was bomb Whiteside & McGrath the serial drinkers out, so i put some of the blame on Wilson' shoulders everyone in Bristol new about the drinking culture so he must off, makes you wonder how far that squad he had could of gone without this.

There's a world of difference between footballers having the occasional quiet pint during a week off and the nightclub pisshead culture which seems to have been linked on this thread to various players who are certainly not problem drinkers.

• Admin

He doesnt want to "get sorted" because he doesn't see that he has any problem. It's my Mum I feel sorry for, not him. Believe me it's not nice living with an aggressive violent bully who can't see that he has any kind of problem. I know it's an illness, I've had to live with it over half my life, but I don't feel sorry for him anymore because it's a waste of energy.

Believe me it's no fun having a verbally abusive, sometimes violent parent. I've had to take that attitude to protect myself from any more hurt.

I dont expect you are the only person who has to put up with actions like that, be it alcohol related or not !

Everyone makes choices to stay with people or not to, you obviously made the choice to stay and put up with it.

(Personally not sure it was the place for you to put such a personal story on)

Alcoholism may be a disease, but a culture where drinking is seen as good, sign of being tough et al sure as hell dont help.

Metallica the biggest band in the world in the 80's had an alternative name Alcoholica, and by Christ it was well accurate. Some or all ended up getting treated for it. Football like rock n roll is full of those who have fallen victim, John Bonham, Cozy Powell, Keith Moon, Bon Scott, Rick Savage died from it, and many many others suffer because of it, Duff McKagen from Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver had his pancreas explode because of it. Footballers dont die so young because they are naturally fitter. Both lifestyles heavily revolve round drinking. Drugs add to problems in the music biz.. be thankful footballers dont indulge heavily in that shit in the main

Take it from me living round alcoholics is no ******* fun at all, and it all starts from an environment where excessive drinking is acceptable. One guy I worked with in the RAF could not function in the mornings till he'd thrown up. At the time we thought it was funny, but the guy was working with jet fuel, and coulda killed somebody.

Drink by all means, Christ I did my share (and got warned to shit can it, or suffer the consequences) but keep it sensible.

My dad was alcoholic, and he started during his wartime service in the Navy. Aint no fun for anyone in the family beleive me.

Its a can of worms. Alcohol is phycislly addictive. Alcoholism is a widly recognized and accepted disease. So why is alcohol abuse socially acceptable, or like you say seen to be cool?

It winds me up, because on the other hand you have marijuana which although some people can become socially dependent on, its not addictive and there is not one shred of evidence to suggest its harmful either. Tobacco? Again physically addictive, but perfectly legal. Bizzar.

Do you see the blatant hypocrisy with society? Howe archaic we are, still living in Victorian times. If people want to get pissed up, smoke tobacco, then fine, but make all addictive drugs legal, don't make decisions ewhree hundreds of thousands of people die each year from drug wars, decriminalize it and hey pretro! Drug lords are simple farmers! But wahit..what about the DEA, the arms manufactures? the millions of jobs in the USA that DEPEND on the war on drugs? It you legalised, it they would be buggered!

Ho hum, drinking culture, brrrr, are we so nieve to think such a widespread habit/addiction is confined to just our Football Club, or even our City?

Its a can of worms. Alcohol is phycislly addictive. Alcoholism is a widly recognized and accepted disease. So why is alcohol abuse socially acceptable, or like you say seen to be cool?

It winds me up, because on the other hand you have marijuana which although some people can become socially dependent on, its not addictive and there is not one shred of evidence to suggest its harmful either. Tobacco? Again physically addictive, but perfectly legal. Bizzar.

Do you see the blatant hypocrisy with society? Howe archaic we are, still living in Victorian times. If people want to get pissed up, smoke tobacco, then fine, but make all addictive drugs legal, don't make decisions ewhree hundreds of thousands of people die each year from drug wars, decriminalize it and hey pretro! Drug lords are simple farmers! But wahit..what about the DEA, the arms manufactures? the millions of jobs in the USA that DEPEND on the war on drugs? It you legalised, it they would be buggered!

Ho hum, drinking culture, brrrr, are we so nieve to think such a widespread habit/addiction is confined to just our Football Club, or even our City?

The same type of people who potentially end up alcoholics could end up dopeheads, pothead pixies, crackheads, skagheads. If you have an addictive personality, you have a good chance of being an addict. Try tell my mate who started off on booze, gave it up for ganj and now has a wrap of speed to get his sorry ass straight. Foir everything you do in life there is a consequence, just be grateful not to be like that

Hypocricy in society? Shurely shome mistake. The Drinking culture is deeply engrained in British life, and it aint ever gonna change, and the casualty rate keeps a rising. One of my workmates son is rocovering from a vicious kicking two drunken ******* gave him for no logical reason. All part of a good night out eh? Oh yeah, they were coked up as well, for the crack you understand..

As for the arms trade, theres always been arms and people who are gonna use them. They aint just Yanks who sell/make/give them to the stupid and ****less. Arms aint dangerous, its who uses them who could/are the problem

There are approximately 2500 professional footballers over the 92 league clubs. National conservative alcohol figures say that 5% of the population have alcohol dependency syndrome. Thats around 125 pro footballers with a serious alcohol problem as we discuss the topic. The figures put the issue into context.

One or two of them might currently be at City just as they were 10 years ago. Then again there might not be any.

I work in IT. If I saw some IT practices in BCFC (say, in the ticket office) I'd be sure to tell them what could work better for them.

So, I'm wondering if, during your time when you were more cosy with the BCFC management, you ever observed a City player who was alcohol dependent? And, did you give the BCFC management some advice?

I know telling someone their computer system is crap is a whole lot different from the ethical issues of telling someone they are alcohol-dependent but I think I would try to find a way to inform the BCFC management, if only for the benefit of the club.

Given your statistics I think that it is likely that 2 current players for City are alcohol-dependent. I'm not asking you to name names but do you know who they are?

So, I'm wondering if, during your time when you were more cosy with the BCFC management, you ever observed a City player who was alcohol dependent? And, did you give the BCFC management some advice?

I know telling someone their computer system is crap is a whole lot different from the ethical issues of telling someone they are alcohol-dependent but I think I would try to find a way to inform the BCFC management, if only for the benefit of the club.

Given your statistics I think that it is likely that 2 current players for City are alcohol-dependent. I'm not asking you to name names but do you know who they are?

Given my line of work, I asked Steve Lansdown several years ago what the club policy was on staff (not just players) with addiction problems. He told me that anything along those lines would fall under the remit of the medical team at the club and that they would take whatever action was appropriate. I'm sure that City's medical team would use private care and not an NHS facility for obvious reasons.

I didn't socialise or get close to any players and so would have no idea what their drinking habits were like. I didn't even know that Christian Roberts had a problem until it became public knowledge.

The thing is, drinking perse isn't altogether bad- especially when young. Hell, being a student I probably drink more than I should on nights out but the key I think is that when you're young for a few years you can perhaps handle it- it's getting off the heavy drinking after said period. That's where the real problem lies I'd have thought.Course, this doesn't necessarily go fot footballers due to the need to be in a very good physical condition.

Yes you can handle it when your young, but as a professional athlete you really shouldn't be drinking at all as it does an enormous amount of damage to your fitness, look at the influx of foreign players into the english game who are teetotal, Henry when he came was shocked to find not that the players drank a lot but that they drank at all. A glass of wine with a meal every now and then is fine, and at an end of season party when you have 2 months for your body to recover, but a lot of English players will drink heavily a lot more often than that and it's why so many of our players burn out and cant keep their level of performance high. The likes of Messi, Xavi, Inniesta, Villa, et all have barely had a summer off in the last 6/7 with U-21 tournaments, Euro's, World Cups, Olympics etc, and how many of them are burnt out as they head into the Cl final next week? It took Rooney half the season to get going at all because he was "burnt out" from the WC.

Archived