IGNORED

Pre Season Friendlies!

FanaticRed

I guess you could of said that about the Ajax game aswell, tbh Porto arnt the team they once were and i think we'd give them a decent game!

Porto the Europa league winners? Not so sure myself. They have the up and coming manager Andre Villas-Boas. He will be in prem in next couple of years. Good read on him here

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6939602,00.html

Porto would undoubtedly be a good friendly- won more CL/EC than Arsenal and Chelsea combined!

Would we give them a good game? Really? Seen some of their Europa resulkts this year- Porto 5 v Villareal 1, won 5-2 in Moscow v Spartak (Moscow certainlyb not an easy trip), as well as Villa-Boas they also have Portugual and South American internationals. Full strength Porto and we may well get hammered.

why are people moaning about friendlys ffs,

Friendlys are only for getting match fit we should only play 6 maybe 7 and only 1 at home 5 to local sides and one away in another country for team blending,

The one home game should be against a biggish team say the Everton's of this world,

We don't want another pre-season like last year when we played to many games in sweden in a short space of time and picked up injurys

Since some Prem teams arrange a small tournament for pre season , City could do the same.

1. The red & white tourno featuring City, Aberdeen, Wrexham and Cliftonville

or

2. The English compass cup with City, Pompey, Norwich & Carlisle.

Porto are most certainly good Prem material despite the uncompetitive domestic league. Against their first XI we'd be chasing shadows. The second string may well be a more useful workout for the likes of us!

Very much so, can't see why people would think it'd be a close run thing vs a side containing Portugese and South American internationals tbh- assuming 1st XI.

Decent friendlies are always a good laugh.

Everyone remembers the Mallorca game where they were 6-0 up and were taking the whizz! Then Miller and Peacock got a couple back and we all sang "you're not singing anymore" to an empty east end.

Leeds when they had Smith, Viduka, Batty, Woodgate, Robinson et al.

Liverpool when Michael Owen scored his first goal for the first team, as did Mickey Bell and he hit the bar too IIRC.

Portsmouth, but that was Tinmans testimonial.

Decent friendlies are always a good laugh.

Everyone remembers the Mallorca game where they were 6-0 up and were taking the whizz! Then Miller and Peacock got a couple back and we all sang "you're not singing anymore" to an empty east end.

Leeds when they had Smith, Viduka, Batty, Woodgate, Robinson et al.

Liverpool when Michael Owen scored his first goal for the first team, as did Mickey Bell and he hit the bar too IIRC.

Portsmouth, but that was Tinmans testimonial.

Yeah, ones I remember- Leeds, Mallorca, Ajax- except for the results in case of the last 2, they were all enjoyable enough. Don't remember the Liverpool or Portsmouth ones though, guessing they were before sometime in the last decade.

Get willem II over here aint it.

Will be a great atmosphere in friendly game terms.

Either them or the gas.

No scrap the gas. They will only be out there to kick our lot.

Bristol City can't get most of Bristol interested. Might as well give fans from Tilburg an opportunity to watch Willem II as they are here so often.

Yeah, ones I remember- Leeds, Mallorca, Ajax- except for the results in case of the last 2, they were all enjoyable enough. Don't remember the Liverpool or Portsmouth ones though, guessing they were before sometime in the last decade.

Liverpool was about 98 or 99 I think. They played in a yellow kit.

Portsmouth was Tinnions testimonial, so about 04 or so?

Liverpool was about 98 or 99 I think. They played in a yellow kit.

Portsmouth was Tinnions testimonial, so about 04 or so?

I think Liverpool was around 97. One of the first games I remember going to as a 6 or 7 year old. My family are from Liverpool so it was a must see match for us.

I remember crying because City didn't win, but Micheal Owen became my "hero" that day...

Archived