IGNORED

Pre Season Friendlies!

FanaticRed

Becoming annoyingly repetitive and extremely predictable! Why do we feel the need to play the same teams every year? Yeovil, Forest Green, whats next? Swindon or Cheltenham? come on city, lets mix it up abit! :D

I have to admit I have absolutely no interest at all in pre-season friendlies. I never attend any and don't care who City play.

Can't see the point in attending a game when there's nothing at stake. I think quite a few fans think along similar lines which is why attendances are usually low at these games.

Away friendlies are what you make them.

In recent years i've had some cracking summer cider days out at Hereford, Newport, Yeovil and Forest Green.

I agree that the football is inconsequential, but it's still a game at the end of the day, but more importantly it's a chance to catch up with the boys before the season starts and prepare the liver for the season ahead!

<br />Bath City would be good, Newport is not too far away also. Going slightly further afield Kidderminster or Oxford would be something different.<br />

Bath City would be ace!

Get the bus or train there, then stright on it in Bath!

The Portugal Tour has been confirmed as containing just one match.....doesn't that kinda make it a friendly as opposed to a tour?!?

The matches are never important, it's the intense training camp that is most important on "tours" Kinda glad they've reduced the games, the sweden tour was a joke!

Rovers are touring Bath taking in one match against Bath City before coming home...

:innocent06:

i hope you dont put that on there forumbiggrin.gif they were saying what a small club yeovil were i had to remind them that they were a small club in bristol compared to city and they have now banned me, dont understand it thought they had a sence of humar laugh.gif

The matches are never important, it's the intense training camp that is most important on "tours" Kinda glad they've reduced the games, the sweden tour was a joke!

Oh, I agree with that..... just seems a little pointless calling it a tour.... more of a training camp and friendly....

Just hope it's not too intense...we ended pre-season with half the squad injured last year! I think the training methods definitely need to be looked at very closely. Anyone know if Kunle is staying on? I know he signed for a season when Millen took over, but no word since the season ended as to whether or not he's staying....unless i've missed something?

Away friendlies are what you make them.

In recent years i've had some cracking summer cider days out at Hereford, Newport, Yeovil and Forest Green.

I agree that the football is inconsequential, but it's still a game at the end of the day, but more importantly it's a chance to catch up with the boys before the season starts and prepare the liver for the season ahead!

This.

I do go to Yeovil usually, Clevedon has a nice little bar and stadium!

A game v a bigger side- be it at home or vs a European one a'la Ajax or Mallorca, would be nice.

As it's pre season; Majorca away please! Then again as happened (many years ago now) Home & Away v Bristol's twin cities of Hannover and Bordeaux. Then again as some other clubs do; a tour of Ireland or Scotland.

4- years ago the friendlies would be events such as Bath away followed by Chelsea home knowing in both teasm would field a full or nearly full strength first team as the season started only a week to ten days later.

The preliminary group round of the Anglo Scottish Cup replaced friendlies once. City had Fulham away and Norwich home. Perhaps something like the Watney Cup could also be restarted. The highest scoring two teams from each division who hadn't won promotion or qualified for Europe took each other on.

Jeez...cant you find anything else to moan about.?

But then again with our "big club" heads so far up our arses I guess Its hard to actually see that friendlies against the likes of lil ole Forest Green and so forth are actualy enjoyable for THEIR supporters as well as a welcome revenue string and good workouts at little cost

And wasnt there a full house for Ajax ?

Nothing like it I don't think - it was bedlam outside because everyone arrived about the same time without tickets so the areas around the ticket booths were heaving.

Many stories afterwards of people turning straight round to go home when they saw the melee, and we certainly took half an hour to get in and missed the start.

Inside it was much quieter and IIRC the crowd was only about 11-12,000.

I think pre season friendlies to "little clubs" are much more enjoyable.

Agreed.

Places like FGR, Clevedon, Cheltenham etc. are great little trips to start the season, easy to get to and a friendly welcome.

They really appreciate Bristol City, and us fans, turning up.

Despite some of the derogatory responses on here, a good number of City fans go to these games and they're always enjoyable.

Just spoke to my friend who claims he has contacts inside ashton gate, he has heard we are getting FC Porto this year at home! hes probably just on the wind up but i thought id let you guys know anyway, just incase its true! :D

That'll do!

Will Millen want us to be competitive though? I'm sure Porto would just batter us around..!?

Archived