IGNORED

Wimbledon - Promoted Back To Football League

Cant say im bothered tbf

For all the talk of welcoming back the Dons. They arent the same club are only 9 years old and cant be welcomed back to somewhere they have never been before

Their fans have a holier than thou attitude like its their divine right to be in the league much as FC United and it isnt good for the game, at all. They are the scourge of Non league for their attitude. So now they have made it perhaps they will shut up and get on with it

As much bile as people throw at Franchise FC, thats where the Wimbledon as was, team now resides and play, their history is with them, not this new outfit who happen to share a similar name to the old one

Its not a great day for football. Its just sad

I guess we were only formed in 1982 then. Just happen to play in red and white, and at the same ground, but not the same team as the bristol city that played at ashton gate prior to Bristol City 1982 LTD.

They coulden't stand up for their club when it was moved to Milton Keynes. Instead they called it a franchise thing and started a new club.

Great bunch of fans.

I thought it was on about calling FC united plastic? Or was he on about AFC Wimbledon?

If city moved 60 miles away to axminster, changed their name to axminster robins and changed the colour of the kit. I wouldnt go to support them, neither would a lot of other fans.

I guess we were only formed in 1982 then. Just happen to play in red and white, and at the same ground, but not the same team as the bristol city that played at ashton gate prior to Bristol City 1982 LTD.

When the old company turned into liquidation the new company took over Bristol Citys football business. I don't know if Wimbledon FC is the same company as Milton Keynes but they for sure have continued the football business of Wimbledon FC.

They coulden't stand up for their club when it was moved to Milton Keynes. Instead they called it a franchise thing and started a new club.

Great bunch of fans.

Bit difficult when the owner decides to move away from the clubs heartland. I wonder how many Bristolian City fans would travel to Southampton, is a new chairman moved the club to there, or Worcester., Oh and renamed the club too

Bit difficult when the owner decides to move away from the clubs heartland. I wonder how many Bristolian City fans would travel to Southampton, is a new chairman moved the club to there, or Worcester., Oh and renamed the club too

We woulden't just give it up I hope. It's still Bristol City FC whatever they call it and we would try to get our football club back.

Thats what AFC Wimbledon did though, started a "new" club, to keep their old one alive. MK Dons were founded in 2004, they admit that, they admit they have no history.

The football business of Wimbledon FC is now with MK Dons. Remember they "sold" their history to AFC Wimbledon.

MK Dons are in the football league because they got the playing right that once was belonged to Wimbledon FC.

There may not be that have been that many Wimbledon fans - the rise from non-league to Prem was too rapid to prevent the creation of a substantial fanbase in an area, sadly, dominated by Chelsea gloryhunters and rugger-buggers - but that would have come.

Wimbledon FC fans were a passionate bunch though and fought tooth-and-nail against the machinations of Hammam, Winkelman (and Asda, his financial backer) and Charles Koppel. Not to mention the idiocy of Merton Council.

The club was basically nicked off the fans and moved somewhere about two hours travel time away. They had no option but to do what they did and form a new club to represent the local area.

The football business of Wimbledon FC is now with MK Dons. Remember they "sold" their history to AFC Wimbledon.

MK Dons are in the football league because they got the playing right that once was belonged to Wimbledon FC.

But they gave all their "history" to AFC Wimbledon and said it was theirs. Their history starts in 2004, what happened to Wimbledon's history?

Taken from wiki (i know anyone can edit it, but sums it up)

Milton Keynes Dons were created on 21 June 2004 as the result of Wimbledon F.C.'s relocation from south-west London to the National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes nine months earlier. Although the team originally claimed the history of Wimbledon F.C. as its own, it stopped doing so in 2007, in part to ensure the recognition of its supporters groups by the Football Supporters Federation, which had previously boycotted them. Despite remaining a legal continuation of the original Wimbledon club, MK Dons has maintained since 2007 that it is a new team, founded in 2004.

"remaining a legal continuation of the original Wimbledon club" is what counts.

Can't understand how they could give up their football club.

Anyway it was their choice & we would not be that stupid.

We didn't. We had it stolen.

Read a bit about the background and study British geography before making posts showing a huge degree of ignorance about this subject.

The road distance is less than 90 km. and you can go there by train in 45 min. without changes.

London is Europe's largest city, Wimbledon is a suburb in the south-west. Milton Keynes is 50 miles to the north of London. There is no direct rail link between Wimbledon and Milton Keynes. Driving involves using the UK's most congested roads.

It would be the equivalent of BCFC relocating to somewhere like Leicester.

London is Europe's largest city, Wimbledon is a suburb in the south-west. Milton Keynes is 50 miles to the north of London. There is no direct rail link between Wimbledon and Milton Keynes. Driving involves using the UK's most congested roads.

It would be the equivalent of BCFC relocating to somewhere like Leicester.

I understand what you are saying but does it justify giving up your football club?

I understand what you are saying but does it justify giving up your football club?

It had gone, my Swedish friend. Killed by a man called Charles Koppel and two Norwegian crooks.

Wimbledonians had to start it again. In fans ownership, so such a situation would never arise again.

Your point being what here?

That we never played in the top flight, never had a notable atmosphere and never had players like Cheesley, managers like Dicks and Chairmen like Dolman. If you disregard their history then you disregard ours. Don't see how you could possibly have missed his point tbh :tumbleweed:

There may not be that have been that many Wimbledon fans - the rise from non-league to Prem was too rapid to prevent the creation of a substantial fanbase in an area, sadly, dominated by Chelsea gloryhunters and rugger-buggers - but that would have come.

Wimbledon FC fans were a passionate bunch though and fought tooth-and-nail against the machinations of Hammam, Winkelman (and Asda, his financial backer) and Charles Koppel. Not to mention the idiocy of Merton Council.

The club was basically nicked off the fans and moved somewhere about two hours travel time away. They had no option but to do what they did and form a new club to represent the local area.

I knew a few at University, and went with them to a game at Old Trafford in 1989: think it was United's lowest league gate post-war (something like 23k), and there could not have been more than 100 or so in the away end. The same bunch have been involved with AFC since the start.

Fair play to them, and I wish them, and FC, well.

Archived