IGNORED

Compared To A Year Ago

downendcity

Yes I think we were all optimistic this time last year, however as we know it wasn't to be.

I am a Millen fan, I certainly was one of his supporters to take the roll full-time after GJ left and I still believe that in this case promotion from within was the best option. I was glad he got the job albeit belatedly and I think he and SW have done great work bringing on players from without and within.

When the season starts I'm hopeful the KM and SW will be able to call it THEIR team and I'm hopeful that we will see a team thats capable of sustaining a challenge near the TOP.

Definately Exciting Times Ahead!!!

How do you go from 15th, 15 pts off the playoffs to sustaining a challenge at the top and exciting times ahead in one summer?

Maybe Steve Lansdown just might know something that we don't? dunno.gif

Like how much dosh is in the war chest.....

Maybe he does, but he always does and it's not the first time he's said similar.

To my mind comments like this can raise expectations unnecessarily and only serve to increase the pressure on the manager, and players, when the fans get frustrated that the club are not achieving perhaps unrealistic pre season targets.

We know full well that we are likely to finish somewhere around mid table, and in fact we may do well to finish there.

Do you honestly see City "pushing for promotion" next season RR?dunno.gif

Do you really think that SL plans to spend as much now as he did when Coppell was the manager?

we spent more after coppell left

Copout spent

Hunt Free

Stewart P/E for Orr

Adomah 150k

James Free

Cisse Free

Total 150k

Millen spent

Pitman 750k

Stead 250k

Woolford 400k

Total 1.4 million

Plus loan fees for Rose, Caulker and Spence

What makes you think there is a cost-cutting plan? There might be a plan to spend less stupidly than before but that doesn't necessarily mean spending less (though it might well.)

That's your take and I respect it. I interpret it as a plan to spend less, pure and simple. The idea that we can "get more for less" or spend more serious money and less silly money is a little naive I think.

Some quotes from Steve Lansdown in the EP today:

"There is a feel-good factor within this club and we are heading in the right direction. I'm genuinely excited about the future."

"I see no reason why we should not be pushing for promotion ourselves next season."

"I may be standing down as chairman, but I will continue to back Keith and the team and we will do everything in our power to strengthen the squad and push for promotion."

That doesn't sound like a cost-cutting plan to me, more a belief that the club is now better set up to achieve more with less.

It sounds like a season ticket selling plan to me. As stated above by someone else, we don't know how much is in the war chest but noises hitherto seem to suggest that there will be slimmer pickings.

Copout spent

Hunt Free

Stewart P/E for Orr

Adomah 150k

James Free

Cisse Free

Total 150k

Millen spent

Pitman 750k

Stead 250k

Woolford 400k

Total 1.4 million

If you divide expenditure by number of games in charge...

We had a hopeless pre-season, a managerial change 2 games into the season, a dreadful injury crisis that included the top scorer being out for 6 months, and we still had an outside chance of the playoffs this season. As long as those things don't all happen again (and assuming the aforementioned top scorer doesn't leave) I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to trouble the playoff places.

This club now has the experience of a few successive Championship seasons, I'd also put us down as play-off contenders barring any major injuries and/or managerial upheavals.

Do you honestly see City "pushing for promotion" next season RR?dunno.gif

Like I've said in other threads - much depends on who Millen brings in this summer. We all know what area's need strengthening and if he can recruit players to improve those area's then I can see City, 'pushing for promotion'. If he doesn't recruit those players then its mid table again.

Like I've said in other threads - much depends on who Millen brings in this summer. We all know what area's need strengthening and if he can recruit players to improve those area's then I can see City, 'pushing for promotion'. If he doesn't recruit those players then its mid table again.

Fair enough, I'm less optimistic than you.

My opinion is we need those improved players as a minimum just to tread water. If we don't get all of them then we will be very likely be in a struggle to avoid the bottom 3.

It's hard to imagine us improving on Caulker for a start.

I don't see us 'pushing for promotion' either way.

Fair enough, I'm less optimistic than you.

My opinion is we need those improved players as a minimum just to tread water. If we don't get all of them then we will be very likely be in a struggle to avoid the bottom 3.

It's hard to imagine us improving on Caulker for a start.

I don't see us 'pushing for promotion' either way.

Millen managed to achieve a mid-table finish despite all the disruption and injuries of last season with a squad that most agree was under strength in a certain of area's. If City bring in no new blood this summer then I would agree that we would probably be facing another season of inconsistency and flirting with the drop zone.

That won't happen. We will see new signings this summer. Who'll they be is anyone's guess but I trust Millen to bring in the right kind of players.

Of course. Nine years as chairman of a football club is a very short time to learn how to spend money on players wisely. You can't rush into these things. He should get better from now on though.

I think thats why he's stepping back. So he can take a more calculated view rather than being caught up in the day to day emotion of being involved in a football club.

I'd say his record of financing getting the club promoted after years of trying and then financing keeping the club competative in the Championship shows he knows what he's doing but theres always room for improvement.

Copout spent

Hunt Free

Stewart P/E for Orr

Adomah 150k

James Free

Cisse Free

Total 150k

Millen spent

Pitman 750k

Stead 250k

Woolford 400k

Total 1.4 million

really...? as i recall, cisse wasnt on a free (could be wrong?), lord only knows what the signing on fee for hunt and cisee and james was, plus orr left on a bosman so i cant picture how we coulda done a p/ex with QPR for a player no longer contracted to us? think coppell spent a few bob more on fees than that list implies, but i stand to be corrected

really...? as i recall, cisse wasnt on a free (could be wrong?), lord only knows what the signing on fee for hunt and cisee and james was, plus orr left on a bosman so i cant picture how we coulda done a p/ex with QPR for a player no longer contracted to us? think coppell spent a few bob more on fees than that list implies, but i stand to be corrected

no we sold orr he signed a 2 and a half year contract in Jan 09 after we placed him on the transfer list which would of put him under contract until June 2011

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/q/qpr/8872829.stm

undisclosed thought to be about 500k + stewert

I think you are right on cisse tho'

Signing on fees are part of the contract so I don't class that as the manager's transfer kitty as the contract is between the club and player (Lansdown)

Archived