IGNORED

Compared To A Year Ago

downendcity

This time last year we had been through the trials and tribulations of GJ's last days in charge but had finished the season on the up and were looking forward to Coppell being in charge for the season ahead.

Do you feel more or less optimistic about next season than you did a year ago?

Jez, this time last year I was so full of optimism it was untrue, that all went to pot pretty quickly though!

Can't say Millen has won me over 100% just yet, but I'm happy for him to be given time. He certainly has an eye for a player, and Wigley seems to play a massive part in that through his connections. They might just be the dream team that we've been waiting for! Looking forward to some new signings coming in, and hopefully persuading Maynard to sign a new deal, although the longer that goes on I'm taking it as a bad sign

Exciting times ahead no matter what, onwards and upwards!

Jez, this time last year I was so full of optimism it was untrue, that all went to pot pretty quickly though!

Can't say Millen has won me over 100% just yet, but I'm happy for him to be given time. He certainly has an eye for a player, and Wigley seems to play a massive part in that through his connections. They might just be the dream team that we've been waiting for! Looking forward to some new signings coming in, and hopefully persuading Maynard to sign a new deal, although the longer that goes on I'm taking it as a bad sign

100 % agree with that. i will feel alot happier when we streamline our squad as it's to bulky with players on big wages and not contributing enough to justify. Then add a 2/3 players and ill be as happy as a pig in poopoo

not sure its a fair question.

I think most of us were more optimistic when Coppell took over than we are now but we also now know how that ended and that our optimism was misplaced.

knowing how the season panned out I'd say I am more optimistic of a better season with a stable management team who know the players they need and are planning ahead. Thats not to say I think we'll finish significantly higher than we did this season but I think we'll see a much clearer long term strategy from Millen than we ever saw under Coppell.

So to summarise. I was wrongly more optimistic this time last year than I am now but I am also more optimistic that the coming season will be better than the last in many areas.

More confident.

I always hoped appointing Coppell would work out well and thought it an excellent appointment but at this point last year he was still on holiday and had barely watched the team play. I hoped there was a plan and everything was under control but there was always that lingering shred of doubt. A shred of doubt which sadly turned out to be the truth.

Millen may not have the track record of Coppell and he surely has much to learn but I at least have the confidence that he is giving the job 100% effort and commitment and most things he's said and done so far have struck me as being extremely sensible.

From what he says he seems to have a good idea of which players he needs to bring in and is already working to acquire them. It might take longer than any of us hope, and they might not turn out to be the right ones but he has a plan and is executing it and that's a pretty good start in my book. Considerably better than we had this time last year anyway.

I was so optimistic this time last year. Not nesesesarily for promotion this term, but certainly an improvement, better football, a club restructure, better coaching, youth development, the new stadium and who knows maybe a decent run in the world cup!

How wrong I was. Even during the calimitous preseason I trusted in Copout to get us back on an even keel once the injuries cleared up. I don't think I have ever been so angry or felt so betrayed that Thursday lunchtime thenews broke.

A year later, I and I think SL have downsized our expectations. Milly has done a decent job and we have to stick by him for now and build slowly. Hopefully when we move to the new stadium will can really try and build once more.

Far less optimistic now. Obviously none of us knows for sure what's going to happen during the summer, but we have no money to spend as such. We have a lot of deadwood to shift. Players that no one is going to pay much for in what is not a buyers market. Our star player could be off, which will give us some money to spend, but the fact will remain we've lost our best player by a country mile.

As it stand I'm expecting another relegation scrap. I'm not convinced we'll recover so comfortably next season if the first half is dire. I think this time next year we will be in League One. Just my opinion, I doubt many if any will agree, and it's an opinion based on current standing without knowing hownthe summer will pan out

Far less optimistic now. Obviously none of us knows for sure what's going to happen during the summer, but we have no money to spend as such. We have a lot of deadwood to shift. Players that no one is going to pay much for in what is not a buyers market. Our star player could be off, which will give us some money to spend, but the fact will remain we've lost our best player by a country mile.

As it stand I'm expecting another relegation scrap. I'm not convinced we'll recover so comfortably next season if the first half is dire. I think this time next year we will be in League One. Just my opinion, I doubt many if any will agree, and it's an opinion based on current standing without knowing hownthe summer will pan out

as things stand i have to agree. but it's a long summer and many things can change.

Always had my doubts about the Coppell appointment given his track record for quitting,

so was not surprised when he done a runner, therefore not expecting too much. The apointment

of Keith did not inspire me either, but fair play to him he turned a sows ear into a silk purse

considering the position he was left in. In answer to the question I am much more confident

about next year than this time last year. Keith has won me over.

Like most City fans I was delighted with Copells appointment and because of that optimistic about the coming season. Unfortunately that optimism was quickly squashed when he walked away after such a short time and you'd probably be better off asking the question in this thread in 3 months time.

For the record I'll feel more optimistic about next season when Millen has brought in the players to improve the squad in the area's that we all agree need strengthening.

As I said ask the 'optimism' question again in three months time

I think the beginning of last season was taken out of all proportion and context by everyone, including myself, the fans, the press and the Club. Everything was over optimistic based on the assignemnt of Coppell, DJ's signing and the talk of World Cup football.

I still feel many fans of our Club are unrealistic in their expectations of what we can realistically achieve at this present moment in time.

I would be happy to see us play more controlled football, having our fair share of possession and less eratic displays. Last season, you never knew which team was going to turn up. Hopefully this season we will have less problems with injuries. I will be really disappointed if we don't bring in some commanding midfield players, that can control a game and pass the ball. We have become a one trick pony with our 'get them on the break', counterattacking style of football, mainly down the wings.

With some new signings and hopefully off loading some dead weights, if we perform to our potential, I can see us finishing lower to mid table. Anything more than that would be a bonus. Personally, I don't think there is any point in trying to make the Premier League, unless you finish in the top two and have the structure in place to sustain a few seasons in the Prem. It just ruins clubs if you go up and then straight back down. All imho of course.

I wasnt optimistic, when this whole Coppell will take over in June w.e it was, and he went on holiday for the few months hit me straight away that I was not sure on him. Knew straight away on the 3-0 home defeat he would be gone soon, said to my mate he'll be gone by christmas, to which he was gone a few days later which I was actually surprised about.

But glad he went early on rather than mid-way through the season. I've stuck up for Millen all season, even after the portsmouth away game where everyone was going to jump off the clifton bridge. Im still not saying Im right, this coming season is Millens season to show if he can do the job or if not.

Tough question. I am always optimistic but we must remember how tough a league the championship will be next season. The Copellgate affair caught us all and we somewhat steadied the wobbling ship by the end of the season. Millen will have gone to the board with a list of targets and how many of these come to fruition will surely depend on how a season pans out. It is no secret we need to fill a few roles within the squad as well as shed some players. Overall I suppose I hope next season will begin with a steady squad willing to do what is asked and that they remain injury free as this has played a big part as well. I would like to see targets arrive early instead of last minute if we can get them. Get the ground business sorted and have some luck along the way. A lot of factors I know but we can beat anyone on our day. But can be dire as well. More consistancy and I think we will be top half. A start like this season just gone and it could be a long sad season. :)

This time last year we had a short-medium term plan in place to gain promotion to the Premier League. Now we have a cost-cutting plan in place.

I'm baffled.

What makes you think there is a cost-cutting plan? There might be a plan to spend less stupidly than before but that doesn't necessarily mean spending less (though it might well.)

Some quotes from Steve Lansdown in the EP today:

"There is a feel-good factor within this club and we are heading in the right direction. I'm genuinely excited about the future."

"I see no reason why we should not be pushing for promotion ourselves next season."

"I may be standing down as chairman, but I will continue to back Keith and the team and we will do everything in our power to strengthen the squad and push for promotion."

That doesn't sound like a cost-cutting plan to me, more a belief that the club is now better set up to achieve more with less.

What makes you think there is a cost-cutting plan? There might be a plan to spend less stupidly than before but that doesn't necessarily mean spending less (though it might well.)

Some quotes from Steve Lansdown in the EP today:

"There is a feel-good factor within this club and we are heading in the right direction. I'm genuinely excited about the future."

"I see no reason why we should not be pushing for promotion ourselves next season."

"I may be standing down as chairman, but I will continue to back Keith and the team and we will do everything in our power to strengthen the squad and push for promotion."

That doesn't sound like a cost-cutting plan to me, more a belief that the club is now better set up to achieve more with less.

Good point well made. :clapping:

This time last year we had been through the trials and tribulations of GJ's last days in charge but had finished the season on the up and were looking forward to Coppell being in charge for the season ahead.

Do you feel more or less optimistic about next season than you did a year ago?

More optimistic about next season. Last season we had a record in injuries, it can not be so bad next season. KM can build his own team and can put a gameplan. A big question is NM, can City sign him it looks muth better offcause. Caulker, Spence, Jones? A new mf? Woolford I hope do better next season. Its many good teams in cc but can City avoid many injuries and have a bit of luck then I think its gonna be an nice season.

I'm as optimistic about next season as I was at the start of this season.

No More, No Less, in both cases I think we stand a great chance of competiting at the top end.

(I've said it before but I think regardless of who was manager I think last season would have been struggle with the injuries we had, especially Maynard)

I'm as optimistic about next season as I was at the start of this season.

No More, No Less, in both cases I think we stand a great chance of competiting at the top end.

(I've said it before but I think regardless of who was manager I think last season would have been struggle with the injuries we had, especially Maynard)

sums up how I feel,

I'm 70/30 with millen at the moment and I don't know how other fans feel but I am starting to notice and have the feel good factor again,

If/When Maynard signs his contract then I'm sure most people will start to feel the same way,

One thins for sure, its never a dull moment at Ashton Gate (apart from the football :innocent06: )

The optimism shown at the start of last season was far too high. Many on here thought Coppell would have us promoted in one season when he likes to take his time building the squad and assembling a decent team together. I believe he took a few years at Reading to do this.

I'm less optimistic long term at the moment but you never know. I just think asking about mid-table is too much really and we could in reality be down there again if we lose Maynard.

quote from Steve Lansdown in the EP today:

I really wish SL would stop saying things like this.doh.gif

We're not stupid, and realistically it's extremely unlikely we'll be pushing for promotion.

We're not stupid, and realistically it's extremely unlikely we'll be pushing for promotion.

15 points off the play-offs with the worst injury crisis to hit this club in god knows how long,

With the right players brought in I don't see why we can't

Maybe Steve Lansdown just might know something that we don't? dunno.gif

Like how much dosh is in the war chest.....

We had a hopeless pre-season, a managerial change 2 games into the season, a dreadful injury crisis that included the top scorer being out for 6 months, and we still had an outside chance of the playoffs this season. As long as those things don't all happen again (and assuming the aforementioned top scorer doesn't leave) I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to trouble the playoff places.

15 points off the play-offs with the worst injury crisis to hit this club in god knows how long,

With the right players brought in I don't see why we can't

15 points is actually quite a lot - they take a lot of getting in this league, and many other clubs were between us and the play off places

I appreciate we had really bad luck with injuries, but so did a number of other clubs.

Doncaster for instance had 14 players out at one time.

Thing is we had a big squad with mostly adequate replacements and were also able to sign numerous players over the season.

I can't actually think of many occasions when we were in such an injury crisis that we were forced to field a severely weakened team.

Yes I think we were all optimistic this time last year, however as we know it wasn't to be.

I am a Millen fan, I certainly was one of his supporters to take the roll full-time after GJ left and I still believe that in this case promotion from within was the best option. I was glad he got the job albeit belatedly and I think he and SW have done great work bringing on players from without and within.

When the season starts I'm hopeful the KM and SW will be able to call it THEIR team and I'm hopeful that we will see a team thats capable of sustaining a challenge near the TOP.

Definately Exciting Times Ahead!!!

Archived