IGNORED

Basso

oldfield

most were annouced Mcallister's Carey's elliots skuses were all announced,

Not all are announced only some.

McAllister's 3 year deal for example, given to him by johnson - It was'nt announced, but was later mentioned in the matchday programme....

Mind you, I would'nt want to announce that! shocking decision!

So let me get this right GJ turned down offers for Basso?, the offers were made to GJ and not SL the club owner? and GJ made the decision not to listen to the offers for Basso to make a point and not the club owner SL?.

So was SL ever in the loop over this or was it as you are portraying it all GJ's work? because guess what SL owns the club and ultimately makes those decisions, so let's have some balance SL hands must also be sullied as much as GJ over this incident.

Sorry but I don't buy the fact that a manager had the say on whether or not transfer bids were accepted or rejected.

rubbish donald,

Johnson could of turned down an offer if he wanted to keep the player but he didn't he made it clear when he put him on the transfer list (like Orr) City/ Steve Lansdown wouldnt of turned down offers for him as the club were making a loss on his wages and Bristol's most successful businman wouldn't be that stupid

Stop talking crap

Sorry first time I've logged on since my posting, can't beleive this thread is still going around in circles, but I suppose that sums up the modern day mentality of this forum.

Believe what you want, doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I know is

Bottom line is SL & CS both took their eye of the ball on the field due to their trust in Johnson. Which was understandable given his success at the time, any transfers were the final decision of the manager.

Any Football Club should be the same, though obviously if a fee is of significant value then understandably the chairman will over-rule him.

Nothing controversial about that.

Yes, Johnson was that stubborn about players - he didn't want players he deemed "not good enough" for City, to get equal move that could make him look stupid, next you'll be saying Warnock didn't try to get Noble for Palace on loan when we made him available for transfer (just before he joined Yeovil)

Johnson was that stubborn and that minded,

Just look at how his career has panned out since he left.

Believe me, don't believe me, I'm just telling how Adriano felt and his direct words to me.

What we are forgetting is that HE WALKED OUT ON BCFC (the club we all love) because he thought he was better than us and wanted to move on to better things , that is FACT ..

If there were offers out there for him (other than Exeters) then why did he not sign for one of those bigger better teams ??

Lets move on for christ sake !!!!! I honestly can't remember a player who did the dirty on us being idolised so much

Yep, he worked his contract.

He took the risk, big risk and it didn't pay off right away, unfortunately the offers that were available, weren't available 8-9months later when he was able to take them up right away.

I honestly don't understand why wanted to join a prem club so much to be a bench warmer that he'd risk his career in the championship to do it, especially when at a later date it didn't come of and he ended up being a 3rd choice a even lesser prem club.

Not long after Gary Johnson had taken over at Peterborough , i saw Basso, who was very friendly and very talkative, he did say that the club were trying to get him sign a much longer contract than he wanted to commit to as he didnt feel the club had the ambition to progress any further than championship football, and the main priority was the new ground.Basso also said that he was out driving and his mobile phone went, when he answered it, it was Gary Johnson asking him if he wanted to play for him at Peterborough. :shocking:

Ive heard it all, from both sides. Really? Basso = Legend. We ***ing loved that guy, lets make no mistake, as an atheist he almost converted me to Catholicism just as my awe of him.

Gj and Basso had a fall out, i guess the board back GJ as you would expect, not sure of details, but Basso is one stubborn sonfoabaitch, and ambitious too. He's very much his own man, an inspiring guy and a loss to the squad, it was not missed on Bradders and several of Basso's pals in the team. The downfal of GJ..so sad, it fell apart, nothing you can do, SL could only just watch and pick up th pcies. The Hull game broke it, that was GJ's chance, it all fell apart.

Footaball, hohum, who does it stop for?

Sorry first time I've logged on since my posting, can't beleive this thread is still going around in circles, but I suppose that sums up the modern day mentality of this forum.

Believe what you want, doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I know is

Bottom line is SL & CS both took their eye of the ball on the field due to their trust in Johnson. Which was understandable given his success at the time, any transfers were the final decision of the manager.

Any Football Club should be the same, though obviously if a fee is of significant value then understandably the chairman will over-rule him.

Nothing controversial about that.

Yes, Johnson was that stubborn about players - he didn't want players he deemed "not good enough" for City, to get equal move that could make him look stupid, next you'll be saying Warnock didn't try to get Noble for Palace on loan when we made him available for transfer (just before he joined Yeovil)

Johnson was that stubborn and that minded,

Just look at how his career has panned out since he left.

Believe me, don't believe me, I'm just telling how Adriano felt and his direct words to me.

You know all of this be fact because Basso told you, I always thought there were 2 sides to every story, live and learn.

I bet Basso would make a great Manager, I mean he's utterly focused, loves footy. Brazilian which helps. I know he fell out with my club over whatever I care not about becuase its just important now, but I really liked Basso, certainly an intense guy, hope we see more of him in football. Have him back? :surrender:

I bet Basso would make a great Manager, I mean he's utterly focused, loves footy. Brazilian which helps. I know he fell out with my club over whatever I care not about becuase its just important now, but I really liked Basso, certainly an intense guy, hope we see more of him in football. Have him back? :surrender:

Great energy tonight Teddy! :winner_third_h4h:

If I could buy you a pint I would :drunk2:

You know all of this be fact because Basso told you, I always thought there were 2 sides to every story, live and learn.

It is odd isn't it that in football the manager is always the bad guy and the player the good guy? The possibility that a player might lie, or at least not tell the whole truth, is completely discounted. Perhaps people are so star struck that they simply believe because a footballer deigns to speak to them? Yet I would have thought there is ample evidence of the duplicity of footballers. In this case I am personally disinclined to take seriously somebody who believes their God takes a keen interest in their career. If he once did he certainly seems to have lost interest. There is a point at which faith in your ability turns into delusions of grandeur, a line many footballers cross when they develop an absurdly high opinion of themselves.

The other flaw in the argument seems to me to be that if such players are as great as they seem to believe what happened to the queue of clubs waiting to sign them once they were free agents?

Not long after Gary Johnson had taken over at Peterborough , i saw Basso, who was very friendly and very talkative, he did say that the club were trying to get him sign a much longer contract than he wanted to commit to as he didnt feel the club had the ambition to progress any further than championship football, and the main priority was the new ground.Basso also said that he was out driving and his mobile phone went, when he answered it, it was Gary Johnson asking him if he wanted to play for him at Peterborough. :shocking:

If so it again tends to show his opinion of himself appears not to have been shared by Premier League managers. Whether the club was ambitious enough is neither here nor there if he was not good enough.

why did these so called clubs who made offers for him not come in when his contract expired,

Shhh don't put sensible points like that on here, it'll make a complete mockery of the whole saga.

I can't actually believe people still care about this debate, haven't we all moved on? AB nor GJ is here.. and we have a goalkeeper that played for England in the world cup this time last year.

Personally I see GJ and Basso as legends and it's a shame that they fell out. If they ever came to ashton gate in any capacity they would both deserve a good loud reception

I really want the opportunity to see Gary managing the opposition at AG. Would be great to give him a little thank you.

I would personally like to see him at the club in some capacity at some point in the future, although possibly too much bad feeling? Would he make a good coach, youth coach etc? who knows but people with such a positive personality like basso's are good to have around any club.

Why knock him? He was amazing for us and still would be if GJ was a better man-manager.

Instead we have Calamity James!

why is it johnsons fault, when articles have clearly stated his agenet advised to stay put but his own personal delusions of grandure meant he thought he was a prem class goalkeeper....which i hasten to add he wasnt

Archived