IGNORED

Basso

oldfield

Still a sad case. Good keeper who had one brilliant season and fooled himself he was better than he was. Seems he thinks being third choice at Wolves with little chance of ever playing is being "in" the Premier League. In which case our young keeper Carey can presumably claim he is "in" the Chamoionship. Gary and Steve tried to persuade him to sign. His agent advised him to sign; after all if a Prem club had been in the frame the agent would have got more money, but of course there was never one. The last time I saw him was at Newcastle airport (the day he claimed to be injured after the team sheet had been handed in and Dean Gerken had to take over); the other players completely froze him out so he was sat alone with a magazine. What had been charming eccentricity turned into delusion. What a waste.:disapointed2se:

Still a sad case. Good keeper who had one brilliant season and fooled himself he was better than he was. Seems he thinks being third choice at Wolves with little chance of ever playing is being "in" the Premier League. In which case our young keeper Carey can presumably claim he is "in" the Chamoionship. Gary and Steve tried to persuade him to sign. His agent advised him to sign; after all if a Prem club had been in the frame the agent would have got more money, but of course there was never one. The last time I saw him was at Newcastle airport (the day he claimed to be injured after the team sheet had been handed in and Dean Gerken had to take over); the other players completely froze him out so he was sat alone with a magazine. What had been charming eccentricity turned into delusion. What a waste.:disapointed2se:

Sad you are right, i don't know if the article is the true story, i have always thought the people advising destoyed what was one of the best keepers we ever had, and him leaving so close to the start of our second season in this division which was always going to be hard tarnished my respect for him, but i will never slate him, without him we would of not got promoted and had that great first season.

I think the full passage is a little less damning and indicates that there were other reasons for not signing.

"I had a situation at Bristol and decided against signing a contract. They offered me three years but I decided not to sign for my own reasons.

"I told my agent that I had proven myself in the Championship, so I was looking for an opportunity in the Premier League. I told him if he came back with anything outside the Premier League, I didn't want it.

"I believe if you don't choose to go for what you want, you stay with what you have. I paid the price by waiting for six months until Wolves came along.

"If you have a goal in life, you have to stick with it. It was a long time without income but I wanted to stick with my choice. It was hard."

Maybe not quite so damning but certainly seems to have an ego as big as the country he was born in and one factual error in his appraisal, "I paid the price by waiting for six months", no senor you paid the price by waiting 18 months and for such a technical position as goalkeeper it always unlikely a Premier League club would take a chance on a guy who had'nt played for that length of time especially a guy who had deliberately narrowed his options. I bet his agent loves him.

He could of sat down with a piece of paper and worked out there were no vacancies for keepers with any chance of getting a game in the perm. Third choice at wolves can't of been what he had in mind. He just took it in the end so he could say he made it to the prem in the end.

Sad as he's a good keeper who hasn't listened to advice or has been given bad advice.

Maybe not quite so damning but certainly seems to have an ego as big as the country he was born in and one factual error in his appraisal, "I paid the price by waiting for six months", no senor you paid the price by waiting 18 months and for such a technical position as goalkeeper it always unlikely a Premier League club would take a chance on a guy who had'nt played for that length of time especially a guy who had deliberately narrowed his options. I bet his agent loves him.

No, six months. He was paid by us until July 1st 2010 and signed for Wolves Jan 31st 2011.

He does seem very over confident I agree, and the idea of getting a prem offer was a nonsense.

He hasn't elaborated on what unsettled him in the first place and I've always suspected that something in how he was managed by GJ was what set him off. I'm quite curious to know what.

I'd be surprised if he gets a new deal at Wolves, he is probably looking at league one or two now really if he wants to actually play.

No, six months. He was paid by us until July 1st 2010 and signed for Wolves Jan 31st 2011.

He does seem very over confident I agree, and the idea of getting a prem offer was a nonsense.

He hasn't elaborated on what unsettled him in the first place and I've always suspected that something in how he was managed by GJ was what set him off. I'm quite curious to know what.

I'd be surprised if he gets a new deal at Wolves, he is probably looking at league one or two now really if he wants to actually play.

and that was his choice to sit out the remaining 12 months of his contract.

i'm glad you used the word suspected because that is all anyone has about what may or may not have happend, unfortunately the 12 months sat on his arse will always be the main reason nobody was interested in him, it shows bad attitude and when you bear in mind how late his career was in taking off you would have thought he would have grabbed any or every opportunity available.

During this point only Exeter showed interest apparently, if it was his aggorance or Johnson's hopefully one day we get the honest god's truth.

and that was his choice to sit out the remaining 12 months of his contract.

i'm glad you used the word suspected because that is all anyone has about what may or may not have happend, unfortunately the 12 months sat on his arse will always be the main reason nobody was interested in him, it shows bad attitude and when you bear in mind how late his career was in taking off you would have thought he would have grabbed any or every opportunity available.

You only suspect that was his choice. It's perfectly plausible it was another "my way or the highway" from GJ. The rest of your post is speculation.

In my opinion the truth is somewhere in the middle. Basso had a little too much self belief and was a bit of a prima donna but was very likely handled badly as well resulting in a poor situation for everyone.

During this point only Exeter showed interest apparently, if it was his aggorance or Johnson's hopefully one day we get the honest god's truth.

I think it's plausible Basso wasn't allowed to talk to anybody at our level at the time. Speculation either way.

My curiosity about this is because it was IMO the beginning of the end for GJ, I think the way that Basso and Trundle were frozen out undermined the respect the team had for him. I'd love to know why he did what he did but we probably never will.

You only suspect that was his choice. It's perfectly plausible it was another "my way or the highway" from GJ. The rest of your post is speculation.

In my opinion the truth is somewhere in the middle. Basso had a little too much self belief and was a bit of a prima donna but was very likely handled badly as well resulting in a poor situation for everyone.

I think it's plausible Basso wasn't allowed to talk to anybody at our level at the time. Speculation either way.

My curiosity about this is because it was IMO the beginning of the end for GJ, I think the way that Basso and Trundle were frozen out undermined the respect the team had for him. I'd love to know why he did what he did but we probably never will.

For your plausible reasoning to be true bearing in mind he submitted a written transfer request, SL must have been complicit, which in my opinion puts a different light on things.

Disagree with Trundle he was awlays on is way, Maynard was coming here so it was goodbye Lee, he didn't like not being the star of the show so with the aparent Johnson interview and the hat thing in training he was on borrowed time, Basso different that really messed us up that season, with Trundle not so much of a nightmare but the Basso situation you are right the was the end of Johnson in away, i would like the truth to come out and Lansdown backed this decision, i have not thought about it for ages but when Sexstone makes his first big news conference with a couple of new players and Maynard & Albert with ther new contracts he put's this story to bed and everytime Basso moves to a club or a staement is made about him we can again put it to bed and know the real truth.

It's also plausible that it had absolutely nothing to do with him (Basso) having a problem with his boss (GJ) or anyone else for that matter.

I mean it's not uncommon for employees in all walks of life to fall out with there bosses from time to time.

Another poster however,has stated that he (Basso) was frozen out by the rest of the team!

If this is true, then it seems to point more to him having a problem more of his own making.

My guess is he just really wanted to play in the prem, and a 3 year contract with us wasn't what he was after.

He took a gamble to follow his dream ('alway's believe') and it didn't pay off!

For your plausible reasoning to be true bearing in mind he submitted a written transfer request, SL must have been complicit, which in my opinion puts a different light on things.

The club aren't obliged to tell anybody that they aren't accepting offers from competitors. That's something SL could have thought perfectly reasonable.

You can't have this both ways, your speculation's no less so than mine.

Disagree with Trundle he was awlays on is way, Maynard was coming here so it was goodbye Lee, he didn't like not being the star of the show so with the aparent Johnson interview and the hat thing in training he was on borrowed time, Basso different that really messed us up that season, with Trundle not so much of a nightmare but the Basso situation you are right the was the end of Johnson in away, i would like the truth to come out and Lansdown backed this decision, i have not thought about it for ages but when Sexstone makes his first big news conference with a couple of new players and Maynard & Albert with ther new contracts he put's this story to bed and everytime Basso moves to a club or a staement is made about him we can again put it to bed and know the real truth.

According to Trundle, refusing to take his cap off when GJ was in a piss was the start of the relationship breakdown but still, it seems ridiculous. I always thought Trundle's attitude on the pitch was good myself, and that he suffered from being expected to lead the line. I didn't want us to pay £1m (and another ~£1.5m in wages) for a guy in his 30s in the first place mind.

Maynard was a vastly better signing because of his age and that's why I want us to keep bring in players in their early 20s - they have value in terms of transfers, and they're cheaper on wages too.

It's also plausible that it had absolutely nothing to do with him (Basso) having a problem with his boss (GJ) or anyone else for that matter.

I mean it's not uncommon for employees in all walks of life to fall out with there bosses from time to time.

Another poster however,has stated that he (Basso) was frozen out by the rest of the team!

If this is true, then it seems to point more to him having a problem more of his own making.

My guess is he just really wanted to play in the prem, and a 3 year contract with us wasn't what he was after.

He took a gamble to follow his dream ('alway's believe') and it didn't pay off!

Yes, it's all speculation and there are many possible things that could have happened. To my mind Basso seemed to be well liked by the team all the way through and people like Scott Murray would certainly say the same.

I think there is a fair bit of smoke around GJ's perhaps too aggressive handling of players though, we seemed to have a much higher frequency expensive fallings out than under other managers or than our rivals.

I'm genuinely interested to know where it all went wrong, because in the first year or two here GJ seemed to have a better balance between the hard line and softly softly. Was it that he got over cocky or was it dealing with different (bigger ego) players?

basso gone he f*cked it up his self no one else's fault he was offered a 3 year deal to become the highest paid player at the club that his agent told him to sign as no one else was interested he didn't

Move on ffs or we might as well start bringing up jacki being frozen out or selling andy cole cheap lets blame that on johnson too.........

basso gone he f*cked it up his self no one else's fault he was offered a 3 year deal to become the highest paid player at the club that his agent told him to sign as no one else was interested he didn't

Move on ffs or we might as well start bringing up jacki being frozen out or selling andy cole cheap lets blame that on johnson too.........

Well said, No one to blame but himself.

Would anyone in their right mind walk out on a well paid job until they had another job to goto D'oh !!!! .

Also how must Chris Weale be thinking ? he would probably still be with us if Basso had made his intentions 'not to sign' known earlier and not waited until the eve of the season and after CW had left us before shafting us ...

Great Keeper for one season now lets move on !!!!!!

Well said, No one to blame but himself.

Would anyone in their right mind walk out on a well paid job until they had another job to goto D'oh !!!! .

Also how must Chris Weale be thinking ? he would probably still be with us if Basso had made his intentions 'not to sign' known earlier and not waited until the eve of the season and after CW had left us before shafting us ...

Great Keeper for one season now lets move on !!!!!!

Absolutely spot on............ Basso waits until Weale had left before suddenly announcing he's not signing the new deal,

so all the 'Adriano was treated badly' brigade remember that! Shafted by his agent, not his manager.

Absolutely spot on............ Basso waits until Weale had left before suddenly announcing he's not signing the new deal,

so all the 'Adriano was treated badly' brigade remember that! Shafted by his agent, not his manager.

Wrong his agent told him to sign he shafted himself

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel at all sorry for him. He had a chance to stay on good money. He turned it down because he wanted to play in the Prem. It all went tits up.

I don't blame him for having ambition, but I don't feel sorry for him either. He made a bad judgement. That's life. Move on.

The club aren't obliged to tell anybody that they aren't accepting offers from competitors. That's something SL could have thought perfectly reasonable.

You can't have this both ways, your speculation's no less so than mine.

According to Trundle, refusing to take his cap off when GJ was in a piss was the start of the relationship breakdown but still, it seems ridiculous. I always thought Trundle's attitude on the pitch was good myself, and that he suffered from being expected to lead the line. I didn't want us to pay £1m (and another ~£1.5m in wages) for a guy in his 30s in the first place mind.

Maynard was a vastly better signing because of his age and that's why I want us to keep bring in players in their early 20s - they have value in terms of transfers, and they're cheaper on wages too.

Yes, it's all speculation and there are many possible things that could have happened. To my mind Basso seemed to be well liked by the team all the way through and people like Scott Murray would certainly say the same.

I think there is a fair bit of smoke around GJ's perhaps too aggressive handling of players though, we seemed to have a much higher frequency expensive fallings out than under other managers or than our rivals.

I'm genuinely interested to know where it all went wrong, because in the first year or two here GJ seemed to have a better balance between the hard line and softly softly. Was it that he got over cocky or was it dealing with different (bigger ego) players?

and you can't have it both ways either. My point is you are speculating that GJ somehow upset Basso and then you say that the next 12 months at the club were probably not Basso's idea. So are you saying in some way that the club were punishing Basso by making him sit out the remaining 12 months of his contract?. Because if that is the case then SL as the owner of the club must have made that decision, so perhaps some people are pointing the finger at the wrong individual. Also if the club were doing that to Basso i'm sure that players union would have been involved.

For my money Basso decided to sit on his arse for a year and take the money and the upshot was, either he was not as good a keeper as he thought he was or more likely other clubs steered clear of a guy with delusions of grandeur who was prepared to sit on his arse and take the money for 12 months.

We have James now anyway, and he's a better keeper!

Remember when there was talk about Basso representing Brazil?!

didn't someone ask Tim Vickery the BBC South American bloke and he laughed a said Basso who?

I seem to remember reading that

didn't someone ask Tim Vickery the BBC South American bloke and he laughed a said Basso who?

I seem to remember reading that

I can back you up on that! I think I saw something like that as well, didn't the guy say he didn't know a 'Basso Adriano' and if he was related to Adriano (striker) ?

Archived