IGNORED

Stewart & Johnson

Alex#40

From Twitter via BEP...

Bristol City manager Keith Millen is prepared to listen to offers for experienced Championship campaigners Lee Johnson and Damion Stewart.

Although Millen, who is looking to strengthen in defence and midfield this summer, is not in a position where he has to sell before he can buy, he is nevertheless under pressure to trim a squad that he admits is too big. But his hands are tied by the fact players who do not necessarily figure in his plans are still under contract.

Signed by former Robins manager Steve Coppell last summer, Stewart is tied to the club for a further two years, while long-serving midfielder Johnson has another 12 months to run on his current deal.

Millen has already circulated the name of out-of-favour right- back Nicky Hunt to other clubs and the Post understands the Londoner will also consider off-loading Stewart and Johnson if the right offer came along.

Recruited from Queens Park Rangers, Stewart made just 17 starts in City's Championship side last season and, although he proved generally dependable, he owed his limited opportunities to others being injured.

Millen is in the market for a tall, first-ball-winning central defender, but versatility is also a requirement.

Whereas Louis Carey can double up as a right-back and Lewin Nyatanga and Liam Fontaine have deputised successfully at left-back in the past, Stewart has only been used in the middle of the back four. If those three remain fit and Academy product James Wilson, who impressed during the final two games of the campaign against Derby and Hull, continues to progress, Stewart's opportunities could be limited.

Millen has made no secret of his desire to bring in a creative central midfielder and Johnson, who started on just 14 occasions last season, could also be squeezed out.

As ever, finance remains a pivotal consideration and new City chairman Colin Sexstone has warned of the need for a period of belt-tightening. City announced a record annual deficit of £11.8 million last year and similar losses are anticipated for the financial year just ended.

Sexstone said: "It is going to be very difficult for us to turn this budgetary loss around and remain competitive on the football field.

"We lost £11.8m last year and it is going to be something similar this year. Going forward into next year, I would hope to reduce that, but it is not going to be easy. We know where we have to strengthen, but we also have players who are not a part of our plans, but who are still in our budget for this year.

"We have contracts in place that we cannot do anything about for another year. We are not in the business of paying people off, because that is expensive. The only alternative is to move them on and, clearly, that is going to be difficult.

"It could be another 12 months before the manager has the squad he really wants."

no real suprises to be honest LJ has been a good servent to the club under unfair pressure and Stewert just hasn't worked out,

But the whole squad is for sale if we recieve the right offer its the same at every football club in the world

Of course you're right about all players being for sale but from the people that most posters on here wanted shot of, for whatever reason, three of them have now been made available for transfer (Hunt, Stewart and Johnson).

I think it shows that Millen knew certain players weren't good enough last season when people were posting how he didn't know what he was doing etc BUT circumstances dictated these players had a part to play.

Tbh, I thought Stewart did ok after a dodgy start. No doubt he's one dimensional but he did a decent enough job. That said if Millen is able to sign a commanding CB with a tad more finesse with the ball at his feet (Caulker? fingerscrossed.gif) then Stewart would slip further down the pecking order.

As for Johnson. I think his lack of starts last season says everything about where he is in the managers plans. Add the fact that Millen is also looking to improve the midfield signals the end of Lee Johnson time at City. He's very capable of doing a good job in Div 1. Exeter or back to Yeovil In I reckon.

Tbh, I thought Stewart did ok after a dodgy start. No doubt he's one dimensional but he did a decent enough job. That said if Millen is able to sign a commanding CB with a tad more finesse with the ball at his feet (Caulker? fingerscrossed.gif) then Stewart would slip further down the pecking order.

As for Johnson. I think his lack of starts last season says everything about where he is in the managers plans. Add the fact that Millen is also looking to improve the midfield signals the end of Lee Johnson time at City. He's very capable of doing a good job in Div 1. Exeter or back to Yeovil In I reckon.

Northampton anyone?

I'm pretty sure he's said he doesn't want to play for his dad again.

He's a good player for the top of league one and he's technically good enough for the Championship but too physically limited to get in most teams at that level.

Why the hell is Clarkson not being circulated!

according to a few some papers etc... he's being used as a makeweight in a deal for Goodwillie,

We would need a striker in before letting him go anyway as you need at least 4 which we have in Nicky Brett Stead and clarkson

according to a few some papers etc... he's being used as a makeweight in a deal for Goodwillie,

We would need a striker in before letting him go anyway as you need at least 4 which we have in Nicky Brett Stead and clarkson

We aren't interested in Goodwillie at all. We'd need to replace Clarkson, yes, but that's no reason not to shift him. He's poor to useless.

LJ is no surprise, he's been peripheral throughout Millen's time in charge, is already 4th choice in centre mid behind Elliott, Skuse and Cisse, so if we bring in anyone else, he'd struggle to even make the bench.

Two things that seem to have made up Millen's mind about Stewart are the Sheff U defeat, after which he said "certain players were playing themselves out of his plans" and he didn't feature again, with an injury having apparently occurred.

Secondly, Millen's decision to give Carey another year, with Fontaine, Nyatanga and Wilson also under contract and Millen's apparent desire to bring in another CB, that simply means we have one too many.

Stewart won't be easy to shift, though, unlike LJ he has two years left on his contract and he'll be on big wages considering the sort of clubs that might be interested in him.

We'd need to replace Clarkson, yes, but that's no reason not to shift him. He's poor to useless.

Sometimes you surprise me Nibor. You of all posters know a player when you see one but I can't fathom why you rate Clarkson so poorly.

7 goals last season, one less than Elliot and two less than Stead who both started more games than him. Add his assists ( I don't have the exact figure) and you have a player who contributes pretty well.

Sure he's no Steve Brooker or Bob Taylor but he has more to his game than being and out and out striker. I think he's vastly underrated. He has a good touch, good vision and is a cool finisher. I'd agree that he's a tad lightweight at times.

The problem if there is one is what system to adopt to get the maximum out of him. He's most influential in a front three with him just deeper than the other two.

Johnson decision fair enough. Always thought he took far too much stick, he featured prominently in our two most successful seasons of late. What he does he does very well but he lacks presence, physicality and he was only ever going to be a very able reserve this season. No complaints.

Stewart is a different matter. Granted he struggled early on, as did Hunt, as did Cisse (. . . .) under Millen, but in the second half of the season he really stepped up. Again, a bit like Johnson, somewhat one dimensional, but turned in solid performances and I expected him to feature heavily next year.

Disappointed that we'd choose to retain Carey over Stewart, presuming talks with Carey run smoothly. Been a fine servant, despite his spell at Coventry, but it's a no contest for me which you try to keep. Flexibility can't be the logic, keeping Carey because he can play right back is like keeping Johnson, handy, but not really a viable answer.

If, on the other hand, Stewarts departure opens the door for Wilson, then I'm equally encouraged and sceptical. Fantastic to see an emerging academy player force his way in, but to rely on him to any extent, with his injury record, is a risk.

Johnson should have gone 2/3 years ago.........

What? when he was a key player in us almost reaching the prem?! yeah, good time to get rid.

Think its the right time for him to go - think he can do a job for a team in this division.... a team like doncaster for example.

What? when he was a key player in us almost reaching the prem?! yeah, good time to get rid.

Think its the right time for him to go - think he can do a job for a team in this division.... a team like doncaster for example.

I reckon he'll end up at Derby Clough seems to rate him quite highly

Reliable though he was towards the end of this season, I still believe Damion Stewart came to Bristol thinking he'd be playing flanker for Bristol Rugby Club.

He even runs like former Bath and England rugby star, Steve Ojomoh.

Maybe the egg-chasers would take him off us? They could do with some decent players at the moment, and that 'tackle' Stewart made against Millwall in the first game of the season was of the try-saving variety...

No, he wasnt a key player......he was fringe at best.

If you ignore the facts.

Look, the fact is, over the past 3 seasons LJ has done NOTHING. When he has played, he has looked out of his depth.

This has nothing to do with his dad, this is to do with him just NOT BEING GOOD ENOUGH AT THIS LEVEL.

If you ignore the facts.

If you look at the aforementioned facts, you'll find that over the past few seasons, he has scored very few goals and has been credited very few assists, both key to the position he plays I'm sure you'll agree.

About time we got shot of him.

Look, the fact is, over the past 3 seasons LJ has done NOTHING. When he has played, he has looked out of his depth.

This has nothing to do with his dad, this is to do with him just NOT BEING GOOD ENOUGH AT THIS LEVEL.

I'll give you a fact, seeing as your struggling with the concept...... He played in the first 38 games for us in the play-off season and we we're top. He then got injured and we dropped down to the play-offs - Thats does not sound like a fringe player to me

If you look at the aforementioned facts, you'll find that over the past few seasons, he has scored very few goals and has been credited very few assists, both key to the position he plays I'm sure you'll agree.

About time we got shot of him.

I agree, its now time to get rid.... maybe we should have last summer even. But he did well for us.

yea we've been playing with 9 men for the 3 seasons he was a first teamer, i mean macca nad johnson were so useless if we had 11 men on the pitch we would of won the champions league by now.

yea we've been playing with 9 men for the 3 seasons he was a first teamer, i mean macca nad johnson were so useless if we had 11 men on the pitch we would of won the champions league by now.

Don't understand this statement. If you got something to say at least make a little bit of sensedisapointed2se.gif

Sometimes you surprise me Nibor. You of all posters know a player when you see one but I can't fathom why you rate Clarkson so poorly.

7 goals last season, one less than Elliot and two less than Stead who both started more games than him. Add his assists ( I don't have the exact figure) and you have a player who contributes pretty well.

Sure he's no Steve Brooker or Bob Taylor but he has more to his game than being and out and out striker. I think he's vastly underrated. He has a good touch, good vision and is a cool finisher. I'd agree that he's a tad lightweight at times.

The problem if there is one is what system to adopt to get the maximum out of him. He's most influential in a front three with him just deeper than the other two.

It's all about opinions of course but when I see Clarkson on the ball I see a player who's got a poor touch, a lack of conviction, gets pushed off the ball or falls over too much and doesn't strike a ball well. He looks scared to me - a confidence player who hasn't had any since he was at Motherwell. Yes, he's got a bit of vision and awareness around the box and can see a pass but too often his execution is weak or he takes too much time and loses it.

He scored seven goals, fair enough, my feeling was that several of those were rather fortuitous and another player in his stead would have done better. I can't see him making a contribution to a side that wants to push for the playoffs or doing anything to challenge Stead, Maynard and Pitman for a place. I'd rather move him on and try and get a young "centre forward" type player in to back up Stead.

I have to say I don't think Clarkson was at all helped by the nonsense of him being played as an advanced midfielder in a 433, it was a distraction from him getting some confidence and having a run of games as a striker. I think it looked like the role for him to some people because it allows you to float around a bit not marked too tightly and do little defending other than some closing down.

My view is most likely in the minority though I admit.

It makes more sense than saying a player who consistently started in a team that never finished outside the top ten of this league wasn't good enough...

Completely carried by the rest of the team....not good enough in a 2 or 3 man midfield.

A nice guy, but never was good enough.

It's all about opinions of course but when I see Clarkson on the ball I see a player who's got a poor touch, a lack of conviction, gets pushed off the ball or falls over too much and doesn't strike a ball well. He looks scared to me - a confidence player who hasn't had any since he was at Motherwell. Yes, he's got a bit of vision and awareness around the box and can see a pass but too often his execution is weak or he takes too much time and loses it.

He scored seven goals, fair enough, my feeling was that several of those were rather fortuitous and another player in his stead would have done better. I can't see him making a contribution to a side that wants to push for the playoffs or doing anything to challenge Stead, Maynard and Pitman for a place. I'd rather move him on and try and get a young "centre forward" type player in to back up Stead.

I have to say I don't think Clarkson was at all helped by the nonsense of him being played as an advanced midfielder in a 433, it was a distraction from him getting some confidence and having a run of games as a striker. I think it looked like the role for him to some people because it allows you to float around a bit not marked too tightly and do little defending other than some closing down.

My view is most likely in the minority though I admit.

Well I for one agree with every word of your assessment of David Clarkson.

I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed.

Completely carried by the rest of the team....not good enough in a 2 or 3 man midfield.

A nice guy, but never was good enough.

Oh dear god. You think it's possible to carry a player and finish where we did? You think the players we have had in the last 4 years were of the ability to carry a central midfielder?

Time for the White coats...:surrender:

Archived