IGNORED

Club Or Country

CiderHider

Unless you been and done it how do you know? Wales v England was better than cardiff/Swansea v city and bulgaria/monternegro will be better than any city away trip next season, as will the two weeks on the lAsh in poland/ukraine.

We took 10k to a pointless game v andorra it was amazing. Thats 1 example from a great many more.

Best international i ever been to was England's last game at Wembley V Scotland and they beat us 1-0 i think. I was next to the 5k Scot fans and they were forking crazy nutters, best away support Ive ever seen in my life, I was almost scared yet they were 20 ft away and chompys in the way. I still didnt feel safe.

Cant beat that I guess, suppose that atmosphere is just a luxury I should enjoy in hindsight, though at the time I just thought they were scummy scot forkers looking fro trouble, respect goes to them.

Used to be so into the national game so much but 'fraid I gave up on England when Capello came in, promise so much, deliver so little, business as usual. Best league in the world blahblahblah.

City is what it is and I loves it :clapping::laughcont:

Am I a fairweather England fan? Do I win a prize? :juggle::violin::chant6ez::icecream:

I guarantee that if England were better than they are currently, there would be different answers on here. Part of the criticism is fair enough; they are paid vast sums of money to play a game that many of us play on a sat/sun for free and the least they could do is put some effort in. However, i refuse to believe that those players don't feel the same level of patriotism that, in general, city fans feel. I personally think an environment of fear has been bred by the media whereas to lose is the ultimate sin. Therefore we get cagey, lacklustre performances like yesterday. Add to that a match scheduled for 2 weeks after most of them have reached the point of the season they were conditioned to reach and its hardly surprising. Anyway, i actually think the swiss are a better team than we credit them

Anyway, if it was a choice between england winning a world cup and city getting promoted i'd probably go world cup at a pinch, but i'd rather be greedy and have both

Club above country for me, always + ever.

I do not give a shit about the German side.

Players I can't stand from clubs I do hate.

And I should support them for 90 minutes or a tournament just because some of them coincidentally have been born in the same country ?

No way...

I wouldn't care if they would crash with a plane..

And I should support them for 90 minutes or a tournament just because some of them coincidentally have been born in the same country ?

No way...

wow

No way...

Half of the German side weren't even born in Germany! Last sentence perhaps a tad harsh though

Watching England used to be great. Wembley had a great atmosophere, always several coaches of City fans at home games along with lads from Somerset and Wiltshire. One Brazil game saw more City turn up than most of our away supports. It didn't even cost much.

Now wembley is dead, horribly expensive and full of ######!! What passes for atmosphere is cringeworthy, da, da, da, da, da absolute toss. it took some time once TV got involved but the FA and sky turned wembley into a middle class panto.

Then you have the players.

Gas outnumber City fans now at Englnad games, says it all.

As Ashton Vale said its better days out with England by far. I dont think any away day with City can top the couple of days i spent in gelsenkirchen in 2006.

That was the last time I saw England play TBH. After 2 World cups and 2 European Championships plus trips all over Europe watching England, I lost my love of international matches and didn't even bother watching yesterdays debacle.

City before England for me nowadays although City fans were given a fair bit of respect on the England trips I have been on..

That was the last time I saw England play TBH. After 2 World cups and 2 European Championships plus trips all over Europe watching England, I lost my love of international matches and didn't even bother watching yesterdays debacle.

City before England for me nowadays although City fans were given a fair bit of respect on the England trips I have been on..

City were given a huge respect on England trips due to the numbers, its gone now. Huge numbers in Albufeira, Amsterdam, Munich, Paris, Rome to handfulls now.

Ten years ago I would have said England. Add another who went to tournaments to not even bothering to watch it. Goes a lot deeper than just the players, the whole thing is rotten.

I think this would have been a hard choice until recently so it's city for me now. It's just getting harder and harder to support the national team these days. I remember Euro 96 and players like Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Gazza, Shearer etc screaming out 'god save the queen'. That was a team to proudly support.

On the other hand though I went to a few games in Euro 2004 in Portugal and would say that topped any City away game I've been to. I remember one game in particular. We got there very early and were sitting right at the front of the stand so proudly hung our St' Georges flag with BRISTOL CITY written on it over the advertising boards. A few minutes later we heard some boo's aimed at us and saw about 5 Rovers fans in the upper tier waving a black and yellow gas flag. We had a bit of good natured banter then to their left another St george flag with BRISTOL CITY across it appeared, this one much bigger than ours! They both spotted each other and exchanged some banter before the City fans went over to them and shook hands and gave us a wave. As kick off approached i remember seeing a massive Man City St George flag in the opposite stand and I also counted about 4 or 5 West Ham flags. Next to our flag a Derby flag was hung and behind us were 2 Leicester flags. I remember looking around the ground and seeing all sorts of teams represented. Another thing I should mention about the match is that it was between Denmark and Italy! That game I was proud to be English. :englandsmile4wf:

Half of the German side weren't even born in Germany!

I'm not sure about that- some of their names may not sound like 'typical German names' but Germany being a multicultural society etc...Think of it in terms of cricket- well maybe not now but certainly in the past we had quite a lot of British Asians in and around the side. The names you might be thinking of? Ozil, Khederia, Cacau, Gomez, , Holtby Podolski, Marin and Klose. Klose and Podolski born in Poland yes, Marin was from Bosnia and Cacau from Brazil. However two of them are no longer regulars, at least in the 1st XI.

I'm not sure about that- some of their names may not sound like 'typical German names' but Germany being a multicultural society etc...Think of it in terms of cricket- well maybe not now but certainly in the past we had quite a lot of British Asians in and around the side. The names you might be thinking of? Ozil, Khederia, Cacau, Gomez, , Holtby Podolski, Marin and Klose. Klose and Podolski born in Poland yes, Marin was from Bosnia and Cacau from Brazil. However two of them are no longer regulars, at least in the 1st XI.

I think khedera was born in tunisia and i know cacau came over as an 18 year old and is naturalised. We do it in rugby and cricket, we should do it more in football. With all the immigrants the daily mail are telling us are invading the country, there must be some teenage poles or bulgarians we can integrate? i look forward to seeing john podolski or miroslav smith run out at wembley in the near future

I think khedera was born in tunisia and i know cacau came over as an 18 year old and is naturalised. We do it in rugby and cricket, we should do it more in football. With all the immigrants the daily mail are telling us are invading the country, there must be some teenage poles or bulgarians we can integrate? i look forward to seeing john podolski or miroslav smith run out at wembley in the near future

Pretty sure Khederia was born in Germany tbh. Course, wikipedia isn't exactly a reliable source.

As a feral half-blood Bristol City supporter I'm bang on for Club over country. I feel no love for England.. sad as that is.... not in the way I feel for City. I have an identification supporting City, dnt ever get that with Eng.... feel a number? I'm happy to be a hardcore fan of City

FIFA, tbh sftu, take your international agwda and shove it up ya arse tbhg omi, you ****** us off, now u oayw

If England were to have a City player in the first team I'd be more interested in following our national football side. For me it's Bristol City FC and the England rugby national side - especially as you can drink while watching rugby. That written, unlike many others, I thought we did well against Switzerland and would have hammered them if our finishing was better.

CITY every time. Until the talented, overpaid, in it for the money stars of the prem are wage capped and made to play for their country with pride and keep their arogance and untouchable personas in check I have no interest in country.:city:

I think that about sums up the general malaise rather well.

I happen to think that the sooner we have Harry in as the new England manager the better. Pride can then be restored and with him at the helm and knocking the chavs into shape, because that is what most of them are let's be frank, the better we will be.

Since so many players seem to see playing for their country as a nuisance or even optional rather than an honour and have such an inflated opinion of themselves it is hard to feel motivated to support them. They give such a strong impression of not giving a toss they cannot complain if we don't. Add the number of obnoxious characters in the squad and it becomes impossible to support them at all.

I think that about sums up the general malaise rather well.

I happen to think that the sooner we have Harry in as the new England manager the better. Pride can then be restored and with him at the helm and knocking the chavs into shape, because that is what most of them are let's be frank, the better we will be.

Why? What has he won in comparison to Capello? The latter has a glittering track record whereas Redknapp good manager though he is, does not have the CV behind him. Capello has been surprisingly one dimensional tactically for the most part. Pride and passion help, but clear technical and tactical nous are also important at this level.

Why? What has he won in comparison to Capello? The latter has a glittering track record whereas Redknapp good manager though he is, does not have the CV behind him. Capello has been surprisingly one dimensional tactically for the most part. Pride and passion help, but clear technical and tactical nous are also important at this level.

So was Sven. I suspect they both concluded that English players were not clever or skilled enough to play in a more sophisticated way. If so I'm inclined to agree. As you imply, it's not just that we do not develop technique in players we also fail to develop footballing intelligence. There again skill and intelligence are qualities the English have always been suspicious of in any walk of life. :innocent06:

The cynical view.

International football is by and large shit and boring to watch. There have been less than half a dozen England games I can remember enjoying. It's very hard to support a team with scumbags like Terry, Cole, Rooney and a few others in. The press make a mockery of the entire England scene by pandering to the dumbest and most illiterate engerland fans, trying to tear down everybody associated with England football (particularly those evil foreigners) but at the same time pretending we have some sort of right to compete with the best. And then there's the English FA, too incompetent to even be corrupt properly and massively self interested. There are too many borderline racist wallies at England games trying to relive past inglories. Besides, who can really be proud of being English these days? One look at the Daily Fail's circulation figures is all you need to rip that last shred of patriotism out surely?

In short, **** watching England sideways. City all the way.

As for the debate about winning the world cup vs promotion, it's irrelevant. There's more chance of Lord Lucan winning the next national on Shergar than England getting to the world cup final. Besides, City in the Prem would actually make a difference to my life whereas England winning the world cup would just mean having to queue up behind knobheads for a drink if I ventured to a pub that week.

The cynical view.

International football is by and large shit and boring to watch. There have been less than half a dozen England games I can remember enjoying. It's very hard to support a team with scumbags like Terry, Cole, Rooney and a few others in. The press make a mockery of the entire England scene by pandering to the dumbest and most illiterate engerland fans, trying to tear down everybody associated with England football (particularly those evil foreigners) but at the same time pretending we have some sort of right to compete with the best. And then there's the English FA, too incompetent to even be corrupt properly and massively self interested. There are too many borderline racist wallies at England games trying to relive past inglories. Besides, who can really be proud of being English these days? One look at the Daily Fail's circulation figures is all you need to rip that last shred of patriotism out surely?

As for the debate about winning the world cup vs promotion, it's irrelevant. There's more chance of Lord Lucan winning the next national on Shergar than England getting to the world cup final. Besides, City in the Prem would actually make a difference to my life whereas England winning the world cup would just mean having to queue up behind knobheads for a drink if I ventured to a pub that week.

Nibor, do come down off the fence. :whistle:

On the other hand :clapping:

The cynical view.

Is this more of an issue with International football perse, more of an England basis or both? I've seen some very watchable games in International football in the last couple of years- albeit from a neutral standpoint. Italy v Germany in 2006 was compelling, so was Holland v Russia in 2008. Spain v Portugal in 2010 albeit for different reasons- fascinating from a tactical v technical viewpoint in the 3rd especially. Spain dominated much of play but Portugal positioned their midfield cleverly and hit them with rapid counterattacks. There have been a fair few more too.

Is this more of an issue with International football perse, more of an England basis or both? I've seen some very watchable games in International football in the last couple of years- albeit from a neutral standpoint. Italy v Germany in 2006 was compelling, so was Holland v Russia in 2008. Spain v Portugal in 2010 albeit for different reasons- fascinating from a tactical v technical viewpoint in the 3rd especially. Spain dominated much of play but Portugal positioned their midfield cleverly and hit them with rapid counterattacks. There have been a fair few more too.

I find that international football in general is slow paced, over cautious and dull compared with league football in almost any nation. Yes there are exceptions, and some sides like Spain recently can play some very nice stuff, but all too often international games are risk averse turgid shite.

England have a number of problems on top of that for me.

Archived