IGNORED

Bristol City Fc...

Matty-H

There's that. Then there's the frankly ridiculous number of 'glory supporters'. In Bristol you see so many walkig around with Man Utd shirts, Arsenal shirts- bet most of them couldn't point to Old Trafford on a map (Salford as opposed to Manchester). Do you have the same problem in Cardiff?

Absolutely. Loads of Man Utd fans and loads of Liverpool fans. Not too much from the other clubs. However, most who 'support' those teams also follow Cardiff City, and we don't have another football team in the same city that attracts support (aside from the odd Welsh Premier team)

Also, a lot of people follow Cardiff Blues, other Welsh rugby teams, or the Welsh national team and some are quite militantly anti 'soccer'.

I'm discounting of course people who support their own teams but move to the city. There are of course a lot of Swansea City fans in Cardiff, but they are born and bred Jacks who have moved here.

My point would be that there are thousands of proud Bristolians who don't support your club. Therein, lies part of the problem.

Okay, fair enough.

I agree, Cardiff and Bristol probably have an equal amount of people that aren't that interested in football (which is probably a higher amount than many other cities by the way) but we don't have to contend with people who support another club within the same city. That surely must be something that contributes towards the supposed under performance of Bristol City over the decades?

You make sensible comments however I disagree with your remarks on catchment area.

Bristol has a population of 420,000 and our support spills into Somerset.

When you think of the amount of clubs in London,Midlands,Lancashire and Yorkshire then we have a great catchment area.

The problem is we have becomee used to having 2 mediocre football clubs. Therefore many kids support Man utd,liverpool and chelsea

You make sensible comments however I disagree with your remarks on catchment area.

Bristol has a population of 420,000 and our support spills into Somerset.

When you think of the amount of clubs in London,Midlands,Lancashire and Yorkshire then we have a great catchment area.

The problem is we have becomee used to having 2 mediocre football clubs. Therefore many kids support Man utd,liverpool and chelsea

arsenal for me,love the football they play, can only dream of that at ashton gate

My point would be that there are thousands of proud Bristolians who don't support your club. Therein, lies part of the problem.

I agree. It ALL simply boils down to sucess. If you take out the spell in the 70's that we were in the top flight, and the recent few seasons under Johnson where we have progressed greatly by and large Bristol City hasnt been a very succesful club on the pitch, meaning it hasnt drawn the thousands of people in the City it should had.. Being around Bristol there is still very much this attitude of ''whats the point going to watch City there crap'' etc. Its changing but very slowly. What we are in need of desperately is a few years in the top flight again along with the new stadium but it will take time.

Blimey, what a big debate.

Words like 'shitty' and 'little' simply fall into scales of relationship. Maybe some would view us as such in comparison with Barca or Man Ure, but if we were compared with Mangotsfield for example, then obviously it's a different kettle of fish.

However, 'shitty' and 'little' certainly aren't words I associate with my team and I'm surprised that other City fans would use them.

It's not a precise third obviously. I'd say a good third of people in Bristol wouldn't support or watch Bristol City on principle, whether through family ties, or personal support of Rovers.

I'm trying to highlight the difference between cities with two clubs and cities with one club.

I've met born and bred Bristolians who would never dream of stepping foot in Ashton Gate, despite being sports fans. I can't say the same for born and bred Cardiffians, Geordies or whatever.

Dismiss it if you like.

Yes, I was just highlighting the Rovers bit as probably have half the support of City (including non-game attendance), maybe less. A 3rd (minimum) probably do support other teams like Manure, Chelski, Arse, Scousers, etc ... Just thought your view on having 2 teams was obviously from another planet (Wales). Even you should know there's only one team in Bristol!

Yes, I was just highlighting the Rovers bit as probably have half the support of City (including non-game attendance), maybe less. A 3rd (minimum) probably do support other teams like Manure, Chelski, Arse, Scousers, etc ... Just thought your view on having 2 teams was obviously from another planet (Wales). Even you should know there's only one team in Bristol!

ha, fair point.

I forgot to factor in Bristol Manor Farm as well. I think that played havoc with my predictions.

Words like 'shitty' and 'little' simply fall into scales of relationship. Maybe some would view us as such in comparison with Barca or Man Ure, but if we were compared with Mangotsfield for example, then obviously it's a different kettle of fish.

However, 'shitty' and 'little' certainly aren't words I associate with my team and I'm surprised that other City fans would use them.

What he said.

There are 1,904,834 professional football teams in the world.

Bristol City play in the 5th most watched League in Europe

We're by no means the biggest club in England, or even the Championship, but even if we're the smallest in the championship (which we're not), then I'd hazard a guess that there are around 1,900,000 smaller clubs in the world, if not more.

We're not a shitty small club, but I'm not saying what I think we are, because it's mainly subjective.

Is the Cardiff fan really trying to tell us his team is far bigger than ours? Behave pal, 80% of Wales behind ya and all that bullshit. Shame most of them live in the mountains and can't afford to travel to Cardiff, eh.

To my generation Cardiff will always be remembered for getting 5k crowds when we were growing up. Just because you've got a legoland doesn't make you any bigger than us. Yes you are a one club city but Bristol is about twice the size.

Is the Cardiff fan really trying to tell us his team is far bigger than ours? Behave pal, 80% of Wales behind ya and all that bullshit. Shame most of them live in the mountains and can't afford to travel to Cardiff, eh.

To my generation Cardiff will always be remembered for getting 5k crowds when we were growing up. Just because you've got a legoland doesn't make you any bigger than us. Yes you are a one club city but Bristol is about twice the size.

If you read through what I wrote, you'd realise I wasn't saying that at all, but since you mention it..

It's largely down to population and competition in my opinion

Population within 30 mins of Cardiff: 1.4m

Population within 30 mins of Bristol: 1m

Fans per professional club in Bristol: 500,000

Fans per professional club in Cardiff: 1.4million

http://www.cardiffbusinesspartnership.com/wp-content/uploads/iwa_metroreport.pdf (page 19)

http://hxuk.co.uk/800AztecWest/about-us/seo/

http://www.visitcardiff.net/cityinfo.htm

(I acknowledge that if anything, Cardiff underachieve far more than Bristol City, but I do personally think that Cardiff City are a bigger club than Bristol City historically, but thats irrelevent.

I don't think Bristol City is a small club at all, and certainly not shitty, and certainly not with no chance of future success. I just think the combination of two professional teams with a catchment area that is large, but not huge (compared to Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc) is the main reason that Bristol City haven't been a traditionally top flight club.

What's your reasoning for it?

If you read through what I wrote, you'd realise I wasn't saying that at all, but since you mention it..

http://www.cardiffbusinesspartnership.com/wp-content/uploads/iwa_metroreport.pdf (page 19)

(I acknowledge that if anything, Cardiff underachieve far more than Bristol City, but I do personally think that Cardiff City are a bigger club than Bristol City historically, but thats irrelevent.

I don't think Bristol City is a small club at all, and certainly not shitty, and certainly not with no chance of future success. I just think the combination of two professional teams with a catchment area that is large, but not huge (compared to Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool etc) is the main reason that Bristol City haven't been a traditionally top flight club.

I like this guy. I know I really shouldn't, but he talks sense.

http://www.cardiffbu...metroreport.pdf (page 19)

http://hxuk.co.uk/80...t/about-us/seo/

http://www.visitcard...et/cityinfo.htm

Nice stats but the Bristol area is far smaller than the Cardiff one. Also do not forget that Rovers are now one whole league above Newport County.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have said the Liverpool catchment area was any different to Bristol's either and they have managed to sustain two Premier League teams because success breeds success. We've never had any so have had no opportunity to develop our fanbase. Same with Cardiff and to be honest I see both clubs on a par. Both represent big and important cities and the Premier League would be better off with both teams in them. If a franchise system was ever developed Cardiff and Bristol would be guaranteed top flight teams.

I think we're bloody brilliant. I don't understand how a Bristol City fan can call his team 'a shitty little club', in any context.

We aren't as big as some of the teams in our division, and we ain't as big as the two Sheffield clubs in the league below, but seriously, if Swindon f**cking Town can make the Premier League then Bristol City can.

Wigan are there, and have been for 7 years- great credit to them. Why can't BCFC do the same, with the right moves on the pitch? Good management and good players and you never know what can happen.

I think we're bloody brilliant. I don't understand how a Bristol City fan can call his team 'a shitty little club', in any context.

We aren't as big as some of the teams in our division, and we ain't as big as the two Sheffield clubs in the league below, but seriously, if Swindon f**cking Town can make the Premier League then Bristol City can.

Wigan are there, and have been for 7 years- great credit to them. Why can't BCFC do the same, with the right moves on the pitch? Good management and good players and you never know what can happen.

:thumbsup:

it matters when we are competing with other clubs to sign players?

Billy jones went to west brom for example, a much bigger club.

If we we're competing with say Leeds for a players signature were likely to lose out. Just as we would likely to beat donnie to a signature. Now I know there are other variables, such as location etc. But that is why the size of the club matter - how attractive we are to potential signings basically

Players don't move to clubs because of their history. They move because of the money and the chance of progressing and playing at a higher level. And then location/what the missus wants.

You're misunderstanding cause and effect. Success on the pitch comes first, money and support follows, as do better players... then 50 years later somebody can look back and decide if you're a big club or not.

It's just a silly pissing contest.

I don't understand how a Bristol City fan can call his team 'a shitty little club', in any context.

Exactly.

http://www.cardiffbu...metroreport.pdf (page 19)

http://hxuk.co.uk/80...t/about-us/seo/

http://www.visitcard...et/cityinfo.htm

Sensible stuff- but it all really comes under the heading of "So what? "'

Where's the correlation between the size of the catchment area of potential supporters and success on the park ?

Answer :-nowhere, at least to my knowledge.

If this argument was carried to its logical conclusion then China and India would be odds-on certainties in the World Cup and "little "nations- like Spain -would not even bother to show up.

There are too many other factors at work, historical,social ,and even anthropological to try to analyse CITY's success, or lack of it, past and present, in the manner of this thread.

What matters is the future.

all I've seen on here is matty calling us a shittly little club not others, granted he's trying to put words in other peoples mouths,

But no we're not a big club and thats backed up by our trophy collection and avg attendance,

if we reach the top flight in our new ground I have no doubt that we'd get 23-25k a week as the glory supporters would be out in full force (like our second season in the championship),

Lansdown is correct in his approch and by that I mean building all the off field inferstructure (training ground etc),

When the village green finally gets thrown out and building starts (be it this year or 4 years time) then we will start seeing the kind of investment into the playing squad that some demand,

We are going to stay in and around the top 10 in the championship until then,

But all this big club small club debate (if you can call it that) is just childish

I would hazzard a guess that the same 1.4 million people are not much more than a 30 mins drive from Swansea.As they are the first Welsh side to reach the Premier league it makes sense that much of the potential support in the area will now be drawn to them. Whereas Bristol City only have a lowly league 2 outfit as competition (soon to be on a level with your Newport County!), you are now competing with a top flight side just down the road.

Monkeh, if it's childish why bother posting several paragraphs of guff? Just go elsewhere.

Ps: you forgot to tell us you're 31 as usual. Are you and Colin W the same person? A need to justify everything by saying your age.

no you accused me of being a child in another thread and I said my age then but you seem to of forgotton as it was a personal attack on me,

its my opinion which as a tax paying british citzen and member of this forum I am entitled to I suggest you wind your neck as as you are coming across as a complete childish tw at who attacks other people if they don't share the same narrow minded view as you,

To be honest with you and everyone else, I have had many moments watching Bristol City FC when I've thought "why the bloody hell was I born in Bristol". :innocent06: Had I been born in Liverpool or Manchester - with Liverpool, Everton, ManU or ManC to follow - then at least I'd have witnessed winning some top silverware.

.....BUT had you been born in Liverpoool or Manchester you would havev been a manc or a scouser and surely all the silverware in the world cannot compensate for being a Bristolian!

no you accused me of being a child in another thread and I said my age then but you seem to of forgotton as it was a personal attack on me,

its my opinion which as a tax paying british citzen and member of this forum I am entitled to I suggest you wind your neck as as you are coming across as a complete childish tw at who attacks other people if they don't share the same narrow minded view as you,

No. Mentioning your age is a frequency.

I'll exercise my own democratic right to suggest you are an argumentative **** who is only interested in stirring trouble. Wind your own neck in.

I love free speech. Thanks for reminding me

I haven't read many of the comments on this thread, however I thought I would throw my comment in regarding the original post!

I am a small business man and have managed to achieve some good growth over the last few years and have built a global organization with many clients.

The point is, its not what you have been that matters its what you can become.

The questions you need to ask yourselves are do you have a board with the vision and financial clout (whether through gearing or personal funds) to support that vision. Then do you have the staff and if not, do you know how to source those staff and can you (very importantly) pull through a core of homegrown talent that not only empathize with the business but that will put there all into seeing through that vision.

Once you have achieved the above then you must just might make it a long as you can sell it...

If some players dont want to come here then we dont want them, players who dont share the vision and want to be part of what you want to achieve will be like a cancer in the squad.

IMO we have the ingredients we are sourcing good calibre players with their heads right to push to club forward with maybe 2/3 additions to the squad depending on whether we have the players (youngsters) making a mark we can be up there...I have a good feeling about the board and the manager....Yes they have made mistakes but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser and I feel we are now a club moving forward

Although we are one of the biggest cities in the country and have a 110 year history we must recognise that we are in the remarkable position of not ever having won a major trophy. If you look at most clubs in the top divisions they have all won major trophies even if they are currently experiencing more difficult times. Even the likes of Swindon Town (league cup) and Wimbledon (FA cup) have won major trophies.

We have not even won a division title since 1955. When promoted we come second and get promoted as runners up. Even Bristol Rovers have enjoyed success as division champions over the last 50 years.

We have also spent most of our history playing in the lower divisions.

With this almost unparalleled lack of success I think it is remarkable that we regularly achieve gates of 14,000 plus and am unable to think of any other club that has not won anything that has a better level of support.

I believe that with a city the size of Bristol we certainly have the potential to become a big club but fans are attracted by success and not by potential. If we get the new stadium and achieve premier league status I am confident we will see average gates between 25 to 30,000 with sellouts for the big games such as Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. If dads start bringing their children to Ashton Vale to watch these matches then the children become "hooked" (as I did 45 years ago) and a future fan base is developed. Until then we will continue to see Bristol children walking around town wearing Man United and Liverpool shirts and we will struggle to attract ambitious players, other than those from the lower leagues who regard Bristol City as a step up.

As a longstanding city supporter I find it so frustrating we have not done better whereas smaller towns such as Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn, Blackpool, Reading (remember Elm Park?), Stoke, Ipswich, Norwich and now Swansea have achieved greater success. Bristol even has a larger population than Manchester!

A city the size of Bristol should have a mid table premier league club and particularly with the potential of the surrounding catchment area.

Archived