IGNORED

Manager Merry-Go-Round

bangers

?.Wouldn't say that was the case at PNE or Derby really.

PNE had a lot more money when Davies was in charge. Not cash splashers per sé , but able to hold their own in the transfer market nonetheless. I'm also fairly sure Derby spent a reasonable amount too?

He's obviously a decent manager, but he's such a vile man that it's difficult to give him credit!:innocent06:

I think that's a very harsh assessment of Mclaren. There was a discussion on his merits when we were linked to him and it was shown that he actually spent very little when you take into account player sales (at Boro) andthey improved every year there. He also won the Dutch league with an unfancied team... Akin to winning the SPL with a non Old-firm side.

He failed at Wolfsburg, though he lost a lot of players whilst there and was rebuilding the side only to be sacked... you need time as a manager to form your own sides (Milly last season anyone?)

Obviously the England debacle has left a lot of people with a sour taste regarding his management, but he is proven as a top quality manager at club level. I think it's difficult to dispute that.

I think we have seen since he left the England job that it is the players who are the problem but of course people are so star struck by all the hype that they always blame the manager. McLaren is a highly respected coach ( ask Sir Alex for one). He did a remarkable job in Holland and had the guts to take on the challenge on his own as Bobby Robson had done, something few of the majority of parochial and limited English coaches could manage. Good luck to him I say.

Forest must be mental! replacing a good manager in Billy Davies, with Steve McLaren??

Thank god its not us!

Not at all.

Before Coppell was appointed McLaren was one name I hoped would be linked to the then vacant City job.

He's got a very decent CV, has loads of top contacts in the game and is a well respected coach.

He'll do a good job at Forest which is bad new for us. I wish they'd kept Billy Davis.

Not at all.

Before Coppell was appointed McLaren was one name I hoped would be linked to the then vacant City job.

He's got a very decent CV, has loads of top contacts in the game and is a well respected coach.

He'll do a good job at Forest which is bad new for us. I wish they'd kept Billy Davis.

What he said! I know it's bucking the trend to agree with Robbored but think this is good news for Forest //

Not at all.

Trust you to rate him - reinforce's my belief that he aint a very good manager - unlike billy davies.

What money? PNE have never been big spenders

Signings under Davies included afaik

Simon Whaley 250k

Brian Stock 125k

Marcus Stewart on loan from us

Brett Ormerod Free

Adam Nowland Free

David Nugent 100k

Carlo Nash up to 175k

Youl Mawene 500k

Matt Hill 100k

Danny Dichio 100k

Not exactly pushing the boat out in terms of spending is it? Only Whaley and Mawene stand out as being huge fees,

I wonder some times JT, if you pay any attention and most of the PNE fans I know dont think he is any good either. As at every club thus far he has fallen out with the higher ups and players very quickly with his stubborness and 'tude. A sort of more successful GJ Tbf but still not exactly brilliant

So they spent money then, which is exactly what I said. Never claimed it was loads, but they had enough to bring players in. They had more money then than they do now.

I don't rate Davies either, but I'm sure every Preston fan would rather they were in the play offs still than league 1....

How does holding their own in any way imply loads of money? They had the money to bring new players to the club, so clearly they could hold their own...

Well, his record speaks for itself, so it's difficult to simply say he's shit, but as a manager I dislike his personality and the dirty tactics he employs (fights and whinging) so don't rate him as a very good overall manager. That seems pretty logical to me.

Archived