IGNORED

Alex Mcleish

CliftonCliff

Interesting development.

McLeish has over 2 years left on his contract. Brum refuse him permission to speak to other clubs while legally he remains their employee and are seeking compensation. "About time some discipline was injected into this game", says Brum chairman.

Yes, well, quite. Boot on the other foot for a change. We'll see how this pans out.

BBC Sport website for story.

Interesting development.

McLeish has over 2 years left on his contract. Brum refuse him permission to speak to other clubs while legally he remains their employee and are seeking compensation. "About time some discipline was injected into this game", says Brum chairman.

Yes, well, quite. Boot on the other foot for a change. We'll see how this pans out.

Hmmm.....smells of Brum sour grapes to me especially as McLeish is bookie's favourite for the Villa job.

I imagine, as with any job an employee has to give a period of notice. No doubt McLeish would know that and would expect to honour it.

Trouble is in a football environment where does this leave Mr Mcleish? Hardly going to get the support of anyone at that club given he's tried to quit now he is he?

Players won't want to sign, Fans won't want him.

?? like chairmen do when they sack managers?? Doh..works both ways

It only works both ways if the contract stipulates.

I would suspect that the contract will stipulate that if the club are unhappy they can sack the manager - that WILL be part of the contract.

I also suspect that McLeish CANNOT leave of his own accord but he has resigned to stir things up in the hope of leaving.

It only works both ways if the contract stipulates.

I would suspect that the contract will stipulate that if the club are unhappy they can sack the manager - that WILL be part of the contract.

I also suspect that McLeish CANNOT leave of his own accord but he has resigned to stir things up in the hope of leaving.

Not really the point I was making though....Irrespective of contracts if chairmen don't give a sh!t when sacking a manager why should Mcleish give a sh!t if he resigns? (bit of a tool doing it by e-mail though)

Trouble is in a football environment where does this leave Mr Mcleish? Hardly going to get the support of anyone at that club given he's tried to quit now he is he?

And as Cotswold says, he should have had the brains to think that one through before he buggered off. Not a smart move, unless we're all missing something. He can't really stay now, for the reasons you point out, and he can't go without quite possibly having to pay Brum a large sum in compensation for his breach of contract.

I suppose it's just possible he's done a shady deal on the quiet and could be on a promise from Villa, who would hardly have been granted permission to speak their manager by Brum, of all clubs, had they made a formal approach in the accepted manner. In that case, maybe his new club would discreetly pick up the compensation bill. Other than that, I can't see the sense in his behaviour - never mind the ethics.

And his parting gift is the signing of Marlon King, and we thought Coppell dumped on us!

I think he will go, there is no way back. It's just down to the compensation Villla will have to pay, seems Brum are looking for 5m.

Now if he really thought this through he would have got Brum to sack him when they were relegated, but maybe his Chairman was also wise and knew he would be off and there was money to be made.

And his parting gift is the signing of Marlon King, and we thought Coppell dumped on us!

I think he will go, there is no way back. It's just down to the compensation Villla will have to pay, seems Brum are looking for 5m.

Now if he really thought this through he would have got Brum to sack him when they were relegated, but maybe his Chairman was also wise and knew he would be off and there was money to be made.

What a suspicious lot we all are - but, again, you might very well be right.

Incidentally, is it the case that he actually is being appointed by Villa? I hadn't seen that was confirmed.

What a suspicious lot we all are - but, again, you might very well be right.

Incidentally, is it the case that he actually is being appointed by Villa? I hadn't seen that was confirmed.

This is the nearest I can see, not appointed but quite a big step to being sought after;

The Scot has been linked with a move to Aston Villa, who on Monday contacted the Blues acting chairman Peter Pannu about his availability.

But BBC 5 live's Midlands football reporter Pat Murphy said Pannu insisted McLeish was not available for talks.

It is believed City are looking for compensation of up to £5m.

"Mr Pannu's response [to Villa's enquiry] was concise: 'It will cost you as he's still our manager as far as we are concerned'," Murphy said.

What gets me is Villa have been linked with every manager that is available over the last week and to have come to the conclusion that McLeish is the way forward is beyond me. Martin O,neil is and will be the best manager that club will attract any time soon and will one day realise that they will go no further with out deep pockets which is why O,neil left as he felt they had reached the point where that current squad could only move on if they started competing with the Chelskis and Man U,s for players. Of the current availability of managers McLeish is way down the list. How many managers have made themselves unavailable for the posistion. Must be at least five. Birmingham and Villa should get well rid. Personally I would go for Steve Cotterall from Pompey, but what do I know. :preacher:

Not really the point I was making though....Irrespective of contracts if chairmen don't give a sh!t when sacking a manager why should Mcleish give a sh!t if he resigns? (bit of a tool doing it by e-mail though)

I think that whilst Chairmen seem free to sack managers whenever they feel like it, there is a cost to pay for doing so.

`

I think that whilst Chairmen seem free to sack managers whenever they feel like it there is a cost to pay for doing so. For most situations i think the clubs have to pay up the entire contract as a lump sum or at least a percentage of it. The other way out of it which seems to be used by cash strapped clubs unable to pay the manager off is to place them on gardening leave and effectively keep them as an employee (they can't work for anyone else) until the contract expires spreading the cost.

I don't know how it works with managers but i'm assuming its similar to players in that they pretty much belong to the club as assets and aren't allowed to resign and are supposed to see out their contracts. I suppose for most clubs when a manager resigns its just easier to cut your losses and move on to find a new man now you don't have to pay the old managers wages but Brum obviously have other ideas.

Interesting development.

Boot on the other foot, good comment, but imo Brum-Hammers one of these will win our league, KB, DS, ETC, been there before done it & with Big Sam now, also now Birmingham will now bring in a manager who has been there and done it. Even if we keep Maynard and buy a few, Hammers & the Blues, Millen will agree we are playing catch up, the bookies think this in the early odds.

Call me cynical, but I suspect this is less about injecting discipline into the game and more about increasing the amount of compensation that Brum get.

Quite right Italian Dave. I don't believe that Birmingham have the slightest interest in keeping McLeish. They want the maximum amount of compensation and the minimum amount of grief from their own fans when he inevitably ends up at their bitter rivals. Hardly rocket science. :yawn:

Quite right Italian Dave. I don't believe that Birmingham have the slightest interest in keeping McLeish. They want the maximum amount of compensation and the minimum amount of grief from their own fans when he inevitably ends up at their bitter rivals. Hardly rocket science. :yawn:

Win the Carling Cup and still get relegated, every so called expert BBC, Sky, Etc said them with the momention of winning this will not go down, what happend, bad manager full stop, if i was a Villa fan and he becomes manager i wouldl consider my renewal.

If Arsenal won that game they would of won the league, Barca would of still done them, remember games inbetween this but that ****** Arsenal, Birmingham should of stayed up after that. They lost there two centre backs and that was it, bad manager, he still with there squad should of kept them up. Villa with Young going and a few others he if he does take over relegation fight again. Bent & Downing aside a poor side.

Win the Carling Cup and still get relegated, every so called expert BBC, Sky, Etc said them with the momention of winning this will not go down, what happend, bad manager full stop, if i was a Villa fan and he becomes manager i wouldl consider my renewal.

If Arsenal won that game they would of won the league, Barca would of still done them, remember games inbetween this but that ****** Arsenal, Birmingham should of stayed up after that. They lost there two centre backs and that was it, bad manager, he still with there squad should of kept them up. Villa with Young going and a few others he if he does take over relegation fight again. Bent & Downing aside a poor side.

I actually rate him as a manager, but now he has stated a desire to leave, forcing him to stay holds no advantage for Birmingham (quite the reverse, in fact). Therefore, they have to try and get maximum compo, which is why they are rejecting his resignation.

Archived