Tony Adams

Duncan Edwards

Stanley Matthews

Bryan Robson

Bobby Charlton

Tom Finney

Jimmy Greaves

Gary Lineker.

Normally I would say John Atyeo instead of Lineker. For the youngsters who read this, he played 6 games for England, scored 5 goals and England didn't lose any of them.

Should have gone to 58 world cup. he scored the goal that put them into the world cup, ala the beckham free kick arguement above. . . . . :-)

Interestingly only 3 from the World Cup winning team! Perhaps Sir Alf as manager then.

Interestingly only 3 from the World Cup winning team! Perhaps Sir Alf as manager then.

Sir Alf did say that he picks the best team and not the best players.

And had Munich air crash not occured, Duncan Edwards would have been in that 66 team and would have been captain.

Sir Alf did say that he picks the best team and not the best players.

And had Munich air crash not occured, Duncan Edwards would have been in that 66 team and would have been captain.

Great player. Sad that he couldn't go on to fulfill his potential.

As for the XI, slightly worried about lack of pace at the back. :innocent06:

So David Beckham's name can be said in the same sentance as the 66 team, the only English men to ever win a major trophy for us? Thats a bit disrespectful to them dont you think?

DB for me will go down in history as a failure for England. How can you say otherwise?

So everyone else who failed to win a championship is a failure are they? He's a failure because he failed to win, regardless of the team that was around him?

Think about what you're saying. David Beckham is one of the best players England have ever had, and would almost certainly be in an all-time England XI. He's probably the most professional player I've ever known. He is and will always be a legend.

Thing is about Becks is that he had a certain presence about him, something special when he was on the pitch. I can think of very few players that have that. To me that's what world class is.

The only England players I've felt that about since going to games - lineker, gascoigne, barnes, robson, Owen, ferdinand, Ashley cole, Terry, gerrard

Re: Beckham... anyone who can boast Man Utd, Real Madrid, AC Milan and LA Galaxy amongst the clubs they've played for is world class... ok ignore that last one.

Beckham has also done more for football in this country than anyone in his era. A generation of kids around the globe idolised him. How anyone can argue that he wasn't a world class footballer is beyond me. He didn't build his reputation on the back of marrying a spice girl, he built it because he had a unique talent.

Before anyone says it... no, I don't fancy the bloke....

....(But I probably would)

Sorry, wrong thread for that last post...

As for Owen though- good article here. Could he have played lone striker in the CL? I have doubts... Could he have carried it off successfuly aty the latter stages of WC or Euros? Again, there are doubts- definitely an interesting here though:

http://www.epltalk.com/michael-owen-past-his-prime-or-past-his-time-10452

So everyone else who failed to win a championship is a failure are they? He's a failure because he failed to win, regardless of the team that was around him?

Yup pretty much. Ask yourself this question if Jack Wilshere Chris Smalling and the rest of the new generation lead us to a Wc glory will David Beckham and the bloody ''golden generation'' be remembered? Will they ****.

Archived