IGNORED

What Would You Offer Nicky Maynard To Stay?

Redhyde

It's the 1st of July and Nicky Maynard and his agent walk into your office. He's rejected the previous contract offer and this meeting is the final take it or leave it discussion. You've been authorized to offer him up to the biggest contract in Bristol City's history. Set against a background of record debt and the need to build your squad for the upcoming campaign you can't afford to let him walk away for nothing at the end of the season. What do you think would get him to stay? What would you offer him?

It's the 1st of July and Nicky Maynard and his agent walk into your office. He's rejected the previous contract offer and this meeting is the final take it or leave it discussion. You've been authorized to offer him up to the biggest contract in Bristol City's history. Set against a background of record debt and the need to build your squad for the upcoming campaign you can't afford to let him walk away for nothing at the end of the season. What do you think would get him to stay? What would you offer him?

17k a week plus goal bonuses!

The use of my bank account for him to keep his wages in, so as to avoid account keeping fees, and I would happily look after his wag for him when he's away playing. What more could he want ?.

Seriously though I would give him whatever it takes.

Well its probably fair to say that David James is our highest earner with his salary being between 15-25k p/w so Maynard should be offered a match of James' wages with maybe slightly more money and a goals bonus, yearly rise and promotion rise! Sign the deal, Nicky!

Well its probably fair to say that David James is our highest earner with his salary being between 15-25k p/w so Maynard should be offered a match of James' wages with maybe slightly more money and a goals bonus, yearly rise and promotion rise! Sign the deal, Nicky!

25k?! Seriously? I've heard 15k, but I'm pretty sure it's nearer the 10k mark. As for Maynard, the best thing we could do is offer him a small portion of his transfer fee if he signs a deal. That way he can still get his move but there's an incentive for him to sign. Or whack a £10m+ release clause for higher division clubs and publicly band it about. Think we'd all take £10-£15m quite happily and the fact that there's no chance of a rejection will allow us to entice clubs into jumping in with both feet.

The danger of paying Maynard considerably more than every other players (apart from James) is the resentment it would cause within the squad and probably prompt a line of players knocking on Millens door looking for a rise.

No point in bursting the clubs budget either.

17K a week, a goal bonus and a night with my girlfriend. She's fit, well, I think she is. tounge.gif

A couple of points, so to speak ? Your girlfriend does not want a night with Maynard !

She wants at least half a season to get a feel for the deal. Now for me she is ok, but I've had fitter.

All this talk about James Wage takes me back to the Portsmouth forum. Plenty of their sources say that they had offerred James 8K and we offerred 10k which they were not prepared to match with their dire financial status. I dont see Maynard being worth more than 15k + goal bonus if that. Money is tight and will get tighter.

If I was CEO, I would offer 12k+ 5k per goal, a good escape clause for now, January or the end of next season. Maynard has scored some great goals for City, however since his return from injury, he has missed more easy chances than he has scored. That point will not have been lost on Premier League scouts. At 24 he may have found his level

All this talk about James Wage takes me back to the Portsmouth forum. Plenty of their sources say that they had offerred James 8K and we offerred 10k which they were not prepared to match with their dire financial status. I dont see Maynard being worth more than 15k + goal bonus if that. Money is tight and will get tighter.

Presumably as well, with the imminent rules about only being able to spend what we can generate through sales etc, we need to be realistic about what wages we offer - especially with the fairly meagre attendances we get in comparison to most in this league.

As we know he still has a year to go on his current Contract therefore we need to give him an increase on his current contract say 30% for three years with a clause of: if a Premier League club comes in for him then he can talk to them provided they meet the criteria of a £6million + or no go and also cannot sign for another championship club whilst BCFC are still in the championship.

A 2 year extension to his contract with get out clauses for Nicky should a Premier League team want to talk to him. The same if it was Championship team who offer over 5 million for his ervices.

Nothing like a bit of Championship Manager fun.

4 year deal.

£14k a week in the first year, increasing by £1k a week each year.

£200k bonus for 20 league goals.

Signing fee and promotion bonus in line with the rest of the squad.

Release fee starting at £7m in first year, £6m second etc triggerable by higher division or foreign club only.

Whatever the top of the fixed and rigid wage structure allows and not a penny more. If he won't sign, sell to the highest bidder. Use the money to strengthen elsewhere and go with the perfectly capable combination of Stead and Pitman.

One player doesn't make a team and promotion can be achieved with a sensible wage structure. Look at Swansea.

17k a week plus goal bonuses!

Are goal bonuses really a good idea?

Imagine it ... Maynard at a tight angle with the choice of blasting at goal with the keeper already at the near post, or squaring to Pitman who's on his own and certain to score. I know what I'do if I was getting £5k a goal.

I believe he will want to repay the club and supporters who looked after him last season through his injury and a family bereavment by signing a new deal with us. If he does sign a new deal, if a Prem club did come calling we could demand a far more realistic fee for him say £6/7m and his boyhood club Crewe would also get a far bigger pay day as well so everyones happy,

so come on Nicky do the right thing and Sign a new deal.

Well, I'd say we should have a fixed budget and a guideline structure. Give the manager a bit of flexibility as to how he spends the budget.

I suppose the manager has to be trusted to manage, but I can't see as having one player on £20k and the rest on £5k (for example) would be particularly beneficial. On the other hand if (for sake of really stupid extreme example) City has a wage cap of £10k and Lionel Messi's agent says he'd like to sign for £11k and not a penny less then it would be stupid not to break the cap. Therefore I make you right, so long as the manager is sensible (which I believe he is.)

Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to have any player on vastly more than the others and I don't believe Maynard to be irreplaceable.

Are goal bonuses really a good idea?

Imagine it ... Maynard at a tight angle with the choice of blasting at goal with the keeper already at the near post, or squaring to Pitman who's on his own and certain to score. I know what I'do if I was getting £5k a goal.

I think this is why Johnson didn't like or give the players goal bonusus. Instead he gave the team a win bonus

Reading between the lines I'm not sure there is much room for negotiations on the financial side of the contract. I've heard the club say a number of times that he's had the offer and it's up to him now. I think it's a take it or leave it.

There were rumours of the release clause being the sticking point. Personally I agree with Nibor. Something like a £8 mill for a year decreasing my a £1 million for every year of his contract he see's out.

I just hope it's a minimum 3 year deal otherwise we'll be having this discussion again before you know it.

Whatever we can realistically afford without breaking the Clubs wage structure and without causing discontentment amongst the other players. If we were relegated, or SL decided to seriously reduce his financial backing, any huge contract could be a big millstone in future years.

I don't for starters think there is any reason to make rash increases in our offer. I assume City have made a very attractive to him already. if he rejects it he is under contract for 12 months. He is going nowhere.

I also assume Nicky will be the consummate professional and play football to the best of his ability because he will then be in the shop window. if his goals get us promoted at the end of the season then any transfer fee, less the 20% Crewe will want, will be utterly insignificant compared to the value he has brought to the club through promotion.

In short, we have made an offer, maybe there is a little wiggle room, and if not play on; we still have the January window if his goals don't come and we are looking like also rans. No point breaking the bank just yet in other words.

Same as what he's on now for 3 years. sign it or do one.

After the realisation that he's not as good as all the hype surrounding him and no interest from any prem club he'll realise that his lot isn't a bad one and sign his deal , and in the process we we haven't bankrupted the club in overreacting and offering him to much.

Archived