IGNORED

Jordan Spence

Redland

I said the buck stops with Millen and action speaks louder than words.

Anyways, no point arguing is there? We've signed a defender and we're heading in the right direction and were all happy? agreed? Well apart from maybe axbridge?

I'm pretty sure many people, and probably stealing Nibor's thunder here, have said 'there's still time before the start of the season' and were shot down.

We're all happy - ha! Not something I thought I'd hear you saying in a hurry. FWIW I think Spence doesn't make that much difference to our defence, an out and out left back is still the priority, but we have one more player who can play competently across the back line which is certainly useful.

Does anyone expect him after working so incredibly hard to get as fit as he his to go out and play well having just found out before kickoff that Spence is rjoining on loan to cover the position he covets.

In my eyes thats a very harsh action by Millen and shows a complete lack of confidence and respect for Ribeiro.

My god many of our fans are so Fickle it will be interesting to see the tone of the posts when Spence has a poor game.

And just to clear up an issue over Ribeiros fitness he has been working exceptionally well in training and is one of the fittest players at the club pre-season..I defy Millen himself to come on this forum and deny that statement.

Gutted for the lad as he will be equally.

However my beloved City comes first and if Spence can produce the goods then thats OK with me.

It's football mate, not a benevolent fund!! No-one is irreplaceable, no-one is bgger than the club. Your second statement is a bit naive,in my opinion. Ribeiro needs to grab the mantle and show what he's about. If he is the best player available he will get picked. Strikes me that the issue is about his continued fitness and availability, something that has unfortunately been in doubt too often.

I think Spence doesn't make that much difference to our defence, an out and out left back is still the priority, but we have one more player who can play competently across the back line which is certainly useful.

Totally agree

It's football mate, not a benevolent fund!! No-one is irreplaceable, no-one is bgger than the club. Your second statement is a bit naive,in my opinion. Ribeiro needs to grab the mantle and show what he's about. If he is the best player available he will get picked. Strikes me that the issue is about his continued fitness and availability, something that has unfortunately been in doubt too often.

Well said. Who even knows if Spence coming in if he is defiantly going to start. Competition for places is always good to have.

Does anyone expect him after working so incredibly hard to get as fit as he his to go out and play well having just found out before kickoff that Spence is rjoining on loan to cover the position he covets.

In my eyes thats a very harsh action by Millen and shows a complete lack of confidence and respect for Ribeiro.

My god many of our fans are so Fickle it will be interesting to see the tone of the posts when Spence has a poor game.

And just to clear up an issue over Ribeiros fitness he has been working exceptionally well in training and is one of the fittest players at the club pre-season..I defy Millen himself to come on this forum and deny that statement.

However my beloved City comes first and if Spence can produce the goods then thats OK with me.

I'd love to see more young home-grown players coming through the ranks. I just can't see Ribiero making it now. He's suffered injury after injury and the latest really concerned me. I don't know if you were at Torquay but the problem looked more psychological than anything - as soon as he went down he was ready to head for the tunnel. Millen implied as much afterwards.

However physically fit Ribs is he must be a massive frustration to Millen and has proved unreliable for two years now.

I think, in reality, he's going to have to get out on loan and prove he can get through a decent number of games back to back - it's likely to be make or break time this season. We play in a very robust league and every player needs to be robust and able to get through game after game.

One other Ribiero thing that confuses me with many comments on here is the obsession that he's a right back. The best (only?) spell he's played regularly was as one of three central defenders during Millen's cartaker spell. He looked excellent then. Since that time he has played right back but, to me, never looked convincing defensively though always decent going forward.

Finally,. on the subject of Spence, he was excellent and improved game on game for us last year - in my opinion (and that of the England u21 management team!!). I just hope that if he signs it's for longer than a month - really needs to be the wholde season.

Here's hoping both Ribs and Spence are amongst our first team regulars next season in the Prem!!!!!!

COYR

1. I should imagine it will be full season, nothing announced yet though.

2. That will be between the clubs, usually if a fee is paid there cannot be a recall option, so I would imagine he would be able to play cup games.

3. No, conflict of interests. Goes against the rules for him to play against his parent club.

4. Would imagine it would be around £100k to £250k

I defy that statement, he may have come back fit, but he's not managed to STAY fit, which is the issue

I think Millen has every right to have a lack of faith in Ribierio, every time he gets a little tweak or a niggle he's wanting to come off, Plymouth was the prime example, got a slight knock and he wanted to come off instantly., Joe Edwards performance put Riberio to shame, committed and willing to get stuck in.

riberio reminds me of Ivan Testiman.....you know who, was a cracking player who had all the talent in the world, but once he'd had that injury against West Brom, he lost that confidence in his body and stopped going into tackles with 110% commitment, he was never the same player.

riberio is the same and Millen has said it himself, if your not willing to get stuck in as a defender and put your body on the line, your going to struggle, for him it's not a ability issue, it's a mindset problem, that has been there for 2 years and doesn't look like shifting, either way, he CAN NOT be relied on until he can get over this.

So righly he's brought in a player who can play 2 positions, looked raw to start but improved game after game last season and he's a player he knows so is very risk free for hopefully a good deal.

Can't see how anyone can find fault with this deal, just a shame it's not perm, but obviously that's unrealistic.

As for Ribs, I think his future could be away from City, which is a shame.

Western Daily Press, have it as back page headlines. Talks started yesterday and will continue today.Millen would like a season long loan but it's understood that West Ham would like a clause where they could recall him at short notice from January.

Says that things suddenly changed because West Ham signed Boltons right back Joey O

Brien on Saturday.

Also talks going on regarding the percentage of his wages to be paid by City.

Very happy with this signing. Looked shakey in his first couple of appearences last season, however grew in confidence with each game.

Young, energetic, more agile....certainly a better option then Carey at right back. Will be interesting to see what happens with Carey on Saturday now

great a right back just what we needed.................... :laughcont:

Am I the only person who doesn't think ribs is a good player I don't think he's even a good right back I would of got shot he never stays fit and I would say Hunt is above him in the pecking order,

Great to have Spence back good player not as good as everyone is making him out to be but he's still an improvement to the back four we need well done,

I also have a feeling that this won't be the only signing we make this week,

As glad as i am to see Spence back, i'm not sure i can see the logic of this unless there is an 'option to buy' at the end. If we get him for a year on loan then we'll be sending an experienced full back home to West Ham and be in a worse situation than we are now because Carey will probably be retired and Edwards and Ribiero will be no more experienced than they are now. Even if he plays centre-half he'll be a barrier to Wilson coming on

Obviously we can't afford to turn down good defenders right now, but this must surely mean that Millen doesn't think Ribs and Edwards are ever going to be good enough?

great a right back just what we needed.................... :laughcont:

To be fair I dont think none of our current defense are guaranteed starters as we could argue every players case for negative points.

The only person whos possibly exempt and who everyone would have start alongside a commanding centre half would probably be Fontaine, and id say that Millen will use Spence as a right back so 2 positions are still up for grabs..... although McAllister will be left back unless we sign one before Sat.

As glad as i am to see Spence back, i'm not sure i can see the logic of this unless there is an 'option to buy' at the end. If we get him for a year on loan then we'll be sending an experienced full back home to West Ham and be in a worse situation than we are now because Carey will probably be retired and Edwards and Ribiero will be no more experienced than they are now. Even if he plays centre-half he'll be a barrier to Wilson coming on

Obviously we can't afford to turn down good defenders right now, but this must surely mean that Millen doesn't think Ribs and Edwards are ever going to be good enough?

Yeah Ive got a feeling we may see Carey move into the centre with Wilson dropped to the bench.

I really hope not, Apart from a nervy first 10 minutes I thought Wilson looked good against West Brom as he did at the end of the season. I would like to see him start against Ipswich.

Is that just a hunch or do you know something?

Just a hunch

Yeah Ive got a feeling we may see Carey move into the centre with Wilson dropped to the bench.

I really hope not, Apart from a nervy first 10 minutes I thought Wilson looked good against West Brom as he did at the end of the season. I would like to see him start against Ipswich.

McAllister's injury hasn't been announced and he hasn't been training this week,

So as it stands for me It will be Fontaine LB Wilson CB Carey CB Spence RB (If signed)

Oh brad that was a sarcastic comment mate :laughcont:

Just leaves the question - can Millen leave out Carey for Wilson or Nyatanga ? I don't think he can, rightly or wrongly.

I hope he does personally, Carey is good back up, Wilson is the future and his performances at the end of last season showed he is more than capable at this level. I think he deserves a chance.

I've a feeling that he will start with the back 4 that you mentioned though.

I hope he does personally, Carey is good back up, Wilson is the future and his performances at the end of last season showed he is more than capable at this level. I think he deserves a chance.

I've a feeling that he will start with the back 4 that you mentioned though.

I agree would like to see us go with Spence - Wilson - Fontaine - McAllister/Nyatanga.

Surely at his age Carey was signed as a leader and a good influence around the place, along with being decent backup, not to start week in, week out?

Spence can play anywhere in defence, he's 6 foot 3 I think so maybe a shout for centre half? Wouldn't seeing Wilson play as well as he looks like he has potential.

Spence's natural position is centre back, but no use playing him there because Carey would have to slot in at right back because we have nobody else.

As we have 5 right backs if you include Carey and Hunt it does not look good for Ribeiro who may have only Hunt behind him in the queue. Shame but if Keith thinks he is not the answer I am not going to argue.

Was at the weston game last night. Ribeiro went off injured late on. Think it might have been hamstring, could be wrong though. You could see his face drop when it happened and he really did look down like he knew its another long period on the sideline in a season which is so important to his future with this being the last year on his contract. Hope it really is nothing but i would have to choose spence over him.

Archived