IGNORED

Gary Johnson - Fall From Grace Confirmed

bangers

Did a good job for us in league one, will do a good job for Northampton in league two.

It might be a world away from where he was 18 months ago but I think even RobboRed might admit that Gary Johnson is a good lower league manager and I say fair play to him for returning to what he's good at.

Did a good job for us in league one, will do a good job for Northampton in league two.

It might be a world away from where he was 18 months ago but I think even RobboRed might admit that Gary Johnson is a good lower league manager and I say fair play to him for returning to what he's good at.

He didn't have much choice. There wasn't exactly a long queue of clubs looking to offer him a job after Posh dumped him.

I agree. Anything above league 1 and you get players with big ego's on high wages, something GJ was never good at dealing with. He likes to be the main man in the dressing room it always seemed.

It might be a world away from where he was 18 months ago but I think even RobboRed might admit that Gary Johnson is a good

lower league manager and I say fair play to him for returning to what he's good at.

If they hadn't picked up in the last 5-6 games of last season GJ would be a Conference manager now ;)

He was on trial at Yeovil 2 weeks ago but deemed not good enough for them.

GJ really does make desperate signings at times.

Whilst I would never class Bas Savage as anything other than a sub standard sunday morning pub team player - the statement that he was not good enough for Yeovil and therefore is a desperate signing for Northampton is wide of the mark IMO.

Northampton finished near the bottom of L2 last season, whereas Yeovil are an established L1 team (arguably the 2nd best in the west country at present after the demise of other local clubs :laughcont: )

Therefore not being deemed as good enough by Yeovil, does not make this a bad signing for Northampton.

(The fact that he is possibly the worst pro football in England, does!)

I agree. Anything above league 1 and you get players with big ego's on high wages, something GJ was never good at dealing with. He likes to be the main man in the dressing room it always seemed.

I think that is probably the best summing up of why Johnson at City had to end that I've ever read.

Whilst I would never class Bas Savage as anything other than a sub standard sunday morning pub team player - the statement that he was not good enough for Yeovil and therefore is a desperate signing for Northampton is wide of the mark IMO.

Northampton finished near the bottom of L2 last season, whereas Yeovil are an established L1 team (arguably the 2nd best in the west country at present after the demise

of other local clubs :laughcont: )

Therefore not being deemed as good enough by Yeovil, does not make this a bad signing for Northampton.

(The fact that he is possibly the worst pro football in England, does!)

That's a fair point :)

I agree, GJ was an absolute disaster with us in the Championship.

He clearly has a massive ego and needs to be in charge of his dressing room but what he achieved here, in League One and the Championship, was remarkable given the years of stagnation that had gone before it.

People have incredibly short memories and in a time when fans bemoan 'player power' it amazes me that folk seem so keen to lay the blame at the managers feet.

Personally I've heard various things from various sources, some of which make me think he wasn't an incredibly understanding, nice, manager to work for, but his record here was outstanding.

He must take some responsibility for losing the dressing room, but it was the players lack of bottle and concentration that conceded countless last minute goals leaving us bottom half rather than playoffs when he finally left.

The biggest irony is that, if you believe what you hear, two of the main ringleaders went on to leave that summer. Both would no doubt receive a standing ovation and idolisation on return while the man who dragged this club up by it's boot straps and nearly achieved an unthinkable double promotion is undermined.

He clearly has a massive ego and needs to be in charge of his dressing room but what he achieved here, in League One and the Championship, was remarkable given the years of stagnation that had gone before it.

People have incredibly short memories and in a time when fans bemoan 'player power' it amazes me that folk seem so keen to lay the blame at the managers feet.

Personally I've heard various things from various sources, some of which make me think he wasn't an incredibly understanding, nice, manager to work for, but his record here was outstanding.

He must take some responsibility for losing the dressing room, but it was the players lack of bottle and concentration that conceded countless last minute goals leaving us bottom half rather than playoffs when he finally left.

The biggest irony is that, if you believe what you hear, two of the main ringleaders went on to leave that summer. Both would no doubt receive a standing ovation and idolisation on return while the man who dragged this club up by it's boot straps and nearly achieved an unthinkable double promotion is undermined.

Your bottom paragraph is spot on and couldn't have said it better myself.

But we did it with 90% of the League 1 squad. When bigger egos, wages etc came along (Hartley etc) that is when he started to lose control.

IMO.

I always felt the 'no one likes us, we don't care' attitude wore thin, the players stopped over performing and were replaced with mediocre Championship rejects on the whole.

I agree, GJ was an absolute disaster with us in the Championship.

Absolutely I bet KM, SL and CS wish that bad man GJ had'nt got us promoted to the championship, FFS whatever was he thinking about, i'm just glad he never got us a to a play off final, because then perhaps some people on this forum might have delusions of grandeur about our expectations.

Nothing unusual there surely, seems normal and reasonable to me.

I agree to an extent, but its the 21st century and weather we like it or not there are certain players (as i said you seem to encounter them more when you go above league one) that have big ego's and influences within a dressing room. A good manager is somebody who can deal with this, Johnson couldn't IMO. I mean how many players were not signed on the grounds of ''there attitude wasn't good enough'' quite a few i think. Jermaine Easter was the only one i can re-call but im shore there were a lot more than just him rejected because Johnson didn't have the skills required to deal with them..

Another masive flaw of his was the way he took fan criticism.. How many times did we see him in interviews (mainly in the last 2 season's when things were going downhill) almost personally attack us fans?

Its no coincidence that Johnson didn't go on to a bigger club after us. Maybe the offers wern't there when he left here who knows but i really dont think he would have had it in him to go to a Leeds or somewhere. He's back in his comfort zone now, a small club where he can be lord of the manor.

top post... as usual.

Archived