IGNORED

David James

dougal135

we are just not good enough for what is a very good league.englandsmile4wf.gif

Didn't take long for you to change your tune. Only the other day you were criticising everyone that said this.

Not that I make notes, but yourself, Evocare and Portland Bill were all in the same boat of optimism

Did you miss his 3 or 4 world class saves against WBA?

He messed up today although I'm not sure he could be blamed for the first. All goalkeepers make costly mistakes (ask Rob Green or Ben Foster) but James is still comfortably the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Bristol City.

I agree, James had a howler but I wouldn't lay blame entirely at his feet for the first goal. The defence were to square and 1 ball took them out. He's still our best option by a mile!!

I'm sure you'd boo him to his face. Absolutely disgraceful, so long as he wears the red and white (or green and blue) singling out one player for abuse is disgusting.

Can't disagree with much else, Gerken has to have a chance now.

why wouldnt i tosspot, because he is such a big man taking this club and my money for a ride....shut up with your you wouldnt boo him too his face bollox and leave that to the playground, bloke is on much bunce for this club, i paid nearly 500 for my season ticket if i want to boo i ******* will

He was appalling and what's worrying is he's also had a dreadful pre-season. Why on earth he's coming off his line for the first goal I've no idea and even though the second goal was not his fault he was very slow getting to the ground and didn't get close to saving what was in fairness a weak shot. The third goal was then of course a travesty. JCR shouldn't have put James in that position but why the f ** k he's trying a little flick like that I don't know. I mean who does he think he is, Lionel Messi?! This coupled with his errors in the Torquay match and his terrible error that allowed Yeovil to score is worrying. Possibly a season to far for a man who is now 41 years of age and that's not just based on todays poor display.

This!

One bad game and people are suggesting we play the liability!!

But he's had many more than one bad game.

He has made some great saves but I don't particularly think he's an improvement on Basso and he sure as hell costs a lot more.

Time to give him a rest and allow Gerken to fight to keep his name on the team sheet.

One bad game and people are suggesting we play the liability!!

not really one bad game......i seem to remember we conceded a lot of goals last season, bottom 6 in terms of goals conceded.....doesnt seem to talk, utterly un professional today, what exactly did gerken do wrong tp piss you off,i was utterly impressed with his shot stopping start of 2009 season, his confidence got affected around jan 2010 when the whole team was crap at end of johnson reign....time for a change now....i fully expect him to be in goal for swindon, then after that millen needs to get a sack and make a massive decision..

james well past his sell by date and looks totally uniterested

Did you miss his 3 or 4 world class saves against WBA?

He messed up today although I'm not sure he could be blamed for the first. All goalkeepers make costly mistakes (ask Rob Green or Ben Foster) but James is still comfortably the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Bristol City.

I wouldn't blame him for the first per-se, i would however say he could have done better. I believe he took the wrong option in coming all the way to meet Chopra, as that left him with only one option and he took it, had he come half the distance out, that would have either forced Chopra to take an extra touch and close the angle down too much (if he then lashed it in then you can only applaud the finish) or to cut inside which gives the defenders time to get in a challenge.

I would say, not a shocker but he made the wrong decision in my book.

I wouldn't blame him for the first per-se, i would however say he could have done better. I believe he took the wrong option in coming all the way to meet Chopra, as that left him with only one option and he took it, had he come half the distance out, that would have either forced Chopra to take an extra touch and close the angle down too much (if he then lashed it in then you can only applaud the finish) or to cut inside which gives the defenders time to get in a challenge.

I would say, not a shocker but he made the wrong decision in my book.

the wrong option......chopra was on the left hand edge of the area when he lobbed james....clearly the wrong option, by the time chopra had taken a touch if he didnt rush out of goal, our defence would have funneled back

Ever? See you're just saying that based on his reputation. His performances last season clearly weren't as good as Basso's in our first two seasons in the Championship, David James just happens to have played for England. If last season he was playing at the best he has in his career then I'd agree he'd be the best I've seen play for us but he clearly didn't. And while last season he was fine (not amazing and not shit) based on what I've seen from pre-season and today's game he is struggling.

See you're just saying that because of Basso's messianic following (which you have clearly bought in to). You seem to have conveniently forgotten all the Basso mistakes. Or his inability to distribute the ball. Or his lack of willingness to come off his line. Or his curious pre-game injuries.....

I'll say it again: James is easily the best goalkeeper I have ever seen playing for Bristol City. By a country mile.

See you're just saying that because of Basso's messianic following (which you have clearly bought in to). You seem to have conveniently forgotten all the Basso mistakes. Or his inability to distribute the ball. Or his lack of willingness to come off his line. Or his curious pre-game injuries.....

I'll say it again: James is easily the best goalkeeper I have ever seen playing for Bristol City. By a country mile.

Wow.....really.....wow.

You must not have been watching City long then?

James had a poor game, that's true but I didn't see one of our players have a half decent games, even Albert was quiet. The first goal James was always likely to be second best to chopra but how come Chopra was clear of the defence? The second I would put down to the fact they broke and Spence was caught out of position, Fontaine didn't get a challenge in soon enough and when he did he unsighted James. The last goal was just a comedy of errors with James making the wrong call to pass it to JCR, he then compounded the error with a poor back pass. But as the saying goes "S'hit happens" As for Gerkin being better than James that's is a joke. Gerken is a good reserve keeper but everytime I've seen him he's error prone and snail paced coming off his line.

Today was a bad day at the office, mistakes were made on and off the pitch Millens team selection was wrong and the side played like strangers not as a team and to lay the blames at the feet of David James alone would be laughable if it wasn't so sad. DJ will save us more points than he costs us over the course of the season, the defence getting better in the same time scale is questionable but I sincerley hope they improve. Still it's only 1 game let's look forward to the next 45

I think it goes a bit deeper as well than whether he is past it. He's probably got another season in him and he's always been prone to silly errors every now and then. I just think the defence need to feel comfortable with their keeper and I don't think they do under James. Under Basso - before whatever issues caused him to drop out - the solid defence were the reason we challenged for promotion. We weren't prolific goalscorers but the defence was tight. That was with pretty much the same defensive unit that is available today apart from Orr. Okay Carey and Mcallister are a bit older but Spence is quality. I get the feeling that they were more comfortable with Basso in goal and he brought the best out of them.

In fact as a general point you need players like Basso, Orr, Murray and generally chirpy characters. In a tight division where ability between teams is similar that mentality and team spirit can make the difference between a relegation battle or a bid for a play-off place. I hate to say it but I think Rovers will do extremely well simply because they have a manager who recognises that and has recruited accordingly and emphasises team spirit big time.

Wow.....really.....wow.

You must not have been watching City long then?

Well, not long really. I remember Basso obviously.

And someone called Philass or Flapass or summat.

Wait, I do remember a guy who had the all time record for clean sheets in the Premier League and was a well established international for a big international team.

How far back do you remember? And which international team did they play for?

At what point will Deano be given a chance?!

David James gifted Ipswich 2 goals today and he gifted Yeovil their goal 2 weeks ago.

He is past it, and trys to be too bloody clever.

Give Deano a chance on Tuesday please, he cant be any worse

Great for the dressing room i have said, thinking now we have lost Henderson because of him, time will tell, time is running out.

Well, not long really. I remember Basso obviously.

And someone called Philass or Flapass or summat.

Wait, I do remember a guy who had the all time record for clean sheets in the Premier League and was a well established international for a big international team.

How far back do you remember? And which international team did they play for?

I obviously remember a lot further back than you then.

I've also highlighted the problem with your analogy. It is all past tense.

After all, DJ wasn't nicknamed "Calamity" for nothing.

Henderson should have been kept not the carthorse Gerkin whose errors ensured James was brought in. James training Henderson this season, and taking over next season.

People quickly Gerkins many clangers....

Time to get two new keepers in, methinks, seeing as we let the best one go..

I doubt Banks, Schmeichel, Seaman, or any keeper could do will with the utter shambles in front of them, and inept manager "managing" them and him

I was sat directly opposite this and Chopra was on top of him so even if he'd of done what you suggest the same result would have happened. The ball back to him was awful and that is where the fault was.

Have you asked yourself why he gave jcr the ball while he was facing goal and was marked. Yes it was a bad ball back but he put him under pressure. Mind you jcr had a shit game as well.

Agree with you mate, i go back to the sixties and the Mike Gibson era, and the only keeper which has come close to James is Jan Mollar. Gerkin, unfortunately doesn't come within a country mile of him.

I obviously remember a lot further back than you then.

I've also highlighted the problem with your analogy. It is all past tense.

After all, DJ wasn't nicknamed "Calamity" for nothing.

and yet he did all these past tense things whilst carrying the nickname calamity...which just goes to prove that he its prone to making silly mistakes every now and again, but repeat what i said on another thread....he will earn us fast more points than he cost us today. I defy anyone to look at his performance against west from only last weekend and say he can't do it anymore.

Archived