IGNORED

David James

dougal135

He had a bad game - there would be a case for him to be dropped if we had a decent keeper...

But he left and we've got Dean Gerken for two seasons. (Another mistake by millen)

David James it is then.

Not KM fault that Coppell put a clause in

James's contract that kept him here this year.

Henderson should have been playing from the start of last season IMO, he was our future. The signing of James was the beginning of the end for him.

I would give Gerkin a run of games now, he deserves his chance.

if other players did what James did yesterday you would be the first to slag them and say they should be dropped, you can't deny that.

James is still a good shot stopper but his kicking and decision making is getting worse weekly.

So the future is the Old Man Calamity James, he of a thousand cock ups, god help us.

No he isn't our future. Hendo was. But as soon as gerken was given a 2 year deal, hendo was gone. What a kick in the Bollox for hendo.

Hendo should be no2 and gerken should

have been released.

Massive cock up by Millen

As much as we castigate James, Basso was overrated and this is a case of double standards (nothing new there). A great player yes, but say the numerous cock-ups he made during the play-off final season? You wouldn't see an eyelid batted at any of them.

No he isn't our future. Hendo was. But as soon as gerken was given a 2 year deal, hendo was gone. What a kick in the Bollox for hendo.

have been released.

We got what we got, diverting to its Millens fault Hendo left strays from the point.

DJ should be droped, compare his performance on Sat to Nicky Hunts at Leeds last year,

NH was all but crucified by KM and fans alike. DJs performance was not just below par, it

was 15ft below the surface. To do anything other than not drop him would be a disgrace and

being doing a diservice to the club, fans and players. If it was a one off maybe, but its not its

a DJ trait.

do you all seriously think coppell signed james???

Well David James answered the phone and Steve Coppell was on the other end. He asked him if he would come to Bristol City.

That's a fact, DJ said it himself.

Or are you a member of the forum conspiracy theory group and believe that SL disgiused Coppell's voice on the phone.

As much as we castigate James, Basso was overrated and this is a case of double standards (nothing new there). A great player yes, but say the numerous cock-ups he made during the play-off final season? You wouldn't see an eyelid batted at any of them.

Numerous cock-ups? Please enlighten me. I can only remember Basso's inspirational brilliance.

Numerous cock-ups? Please enlighten me. I can only remember Basso's inspirational brilliance.

Agree. The Basso's cock up's were few and far between to be honest, after all he was in between the sticks in our most successful period for decades..

08/09 he's performances dipped (the mistake against Cardiff at home springs to mind in 09) but on the whole Basso for me is one of if not the best keeper i have seen play for City.

Jame's is a funny one. On paper it was a huge signing but i think people get drawn into much because he is a big name that has played for England and in the Premier League fo so long. Personally i think there are better and more consistent keepers at this level.. And Riaz and others are spot on, letting Hendo go was a BIG mistake. TBH im not even sure letting Weale go was the right decsion :badmood:

I don't know what WUM means, but if you are suggesting that I should have my kneecaps shot because I think Basso was inspirational in 2007/8 then you need to see somebody about your anger management issues.

wind up merchant.

Of course he was inspirational, some might argue however he was more inspirational off the pitch than on it.

He made many mistakes in his time here, seemed to get the most mysterious injuries after mistakes.

If you couldn't see the obvious flaws in his game then I suggest you need to see someone about your eyesight.

Legend of BCFC, but he was mistake prone and was on numerous occasions lucky his cock ups went unpunished, He is no different to DJ or any other keeper in that regard,

wind up merchant.

Of course he was inspirational, some might argue however he was more inspirational off the pitch than on it.

He made many mistakes in his time here, seemed to get the most mysterious injuries after mistakes.

If you couldn't see the obvious flaws in his game then I suggest you need to see someone about your eyesight.

Legend of BCFC, but he was mistake prone and was on numerous occasions lucky his cock ups went unpunished, He is no different to DJ or any other keeper in that regard,

I realise Bassso wasn't perfect but he was easily the best keeper I have ever seen play for BCFC, and I have seen a few keepers down the years.

I am not going to get into a slanging match with you but in the space of two posts you've said that I need my kneecaps shot and my eyesight tested. Please remember to remain civilised, it's only a game of football being discussed here.

I realise Bassso wasn't perfect but he was easily the best keeper I have ever seen play for BCFC, and I have seen a few keepers down the years.

I am not going to get into a slanging match with you but in the space of two posts you've said that I need my kneecaps shot and my eyesight tested. Please remember to remain civilised, it's only a game of football being discussed here.

Bloody hell, the knee cap thing was clearly a (crap) joke. And what's different between telling me to see someone about "anger management" and you seeing someone about your eyesight. Might need to tighten the saddle on the ol' high horse yet, chap.

can't agree about him being the best. No doubting his cult hero status though, a bloody legend but over-rated by fans because of it. In no way a slight on DJ when I say that I still miss Basso and the aura around the club back then.:bounce:

Overall, Basso 07/08 fantastic. Yeah things started to go awry in 08/09 but that playoff season what a job- WBA at home is one which stood out for me, Sheff Wednesday away was another where we came under a lot of pressure but somehow came away with a win. Sure there are others too...

As for James, kneejerk reaction though it may be, perhaps it was a season too far. By all means have him coaching but 41 year old goalie in such a competitive League, not entirely sure. Probably the reason we lost Henderson too?

Basso was nowhere near as good as David James, A lot of people put him on a pedestal for some reason. Didn't he get chipped against Wolves and from memory he had a howler against Cardiff and let a goal in on his left hand side in the dying minutes???

Looking back at the replays of the goals I think James was not solely to blame for the third goal, jcr should have put alot more weight on his backpass (probably should not have even made it). He put James under pressure for no good reason.

I (ironically) thought earlier on in the match that it was a nice to see James rolling the ball out instead of kicking it up field (which was one of his moans when he first came that Championship players could not deal with playing out from the back).

I agree with several of the posters above, the worst thing the club has done recently is to let Henderson go.

As for James, kneejerk reaction though it may be, perhaps it was a season too far. By all means have him coaching but 41 year old goalie in such a competitive League, not entirely sure.

Wasn't Van Der Sar still playing in the Premier League/Champion's League at 40????

We got what we got, diverting to its Millens fault Hendo left strays from the point.

DJ should be droped, compare his performance on Sat to Nicky Hunts at Leeds last year,

NH was all but crucified by KM and fans alike. DJs performance was not just below par, it

was 15ft below the surface. To do anything other than not drop him would be a disgrace and

being doing a diservice to the club, fans and players. If it was a one off maybe, but its not its

a DJ trait.

It's not straying from the point - point is, if you drop James then you have to select Gerken - that can't happen. I prefer James on a bad day. The mistakes were not totally his fault either. Why did chopra have so much space? And what about the hospital pass back??

Those goals would have happened with gerken in goal and i'm certain the score would have been more.

have been released.

Agreed, Gerken was never a number 1 keeper and got it because of the Basso fiasco. I mean Gerken couldn't even get in colchesters first team. Letting Henderson go was wrong and he should have been made number 2 without doubt.

It's not straying from the point - point is, if you drop James then you have to select Gerken - that can't happen. I prefer James on a bad day. The mistakes were not totally his fault either. Why did chopra have so much space? And what about the hospital pass back??

Those goals would have happened with gerken in goal and i'm certain the score would have been more.

Well I'm not sure I agree with your final point although I definitely agree that the goals weren't entirely his fault.. Goal 1) Nyatanga and Fontaine are 2 on 1 with Chopra but they still can't deal with it. James' body looks as though it has slowed more than his brain and he comes for a ball which no doubt he would have cleared comfortably a couple of seasons back. Goal 2) mostly down to Fontaine. Goal 3) should have been hoofed by the keeper, maybe Gerken wouldn't have tried to be so clever, but given the underhit backpass why didn't one of our two CB s bust a gut to get back on the goal line. Chopra reacts, they stand there like a couple of lifeless dummies. Fontaine and Nyatanga as a CB pairing-no thanks.

Given where we are with the keepers the Carling Cup is a good opportunity to give our no. 2 some game time.

1st goal was fontaine and nyatangas fault and to be honest if james had stayed on his line he would of been critised for not coming out damned if you do on that one,

2nd goal was fontaines fault can't blame james for that the defender let his man go past him as if he wasn't their

3rd goal JCR's backpass was to short and put james under pressure he shouldn't of been under but he should of put it into row z he knows it you could tell after the goal he knew he was at fault,

but it was more schoolboy defending rather then one man and our manager and ex defender seems to be unable to coach defenders

So just how bad must James perform before Deano gets his chance. DJ will keep droping

clangers, history proves it, Deano however should have improved dramatically, after all

he is receiving regular coaching from the master. (tongue in cheek)

So just how bad must James perform before Deano gets his chance. DJ will keep droping

clangers, history proves it, Deano however should have improved dramatically, after all

he is receiving regular coaching from the master. (tongue in cheek)

Deano should no longer be here, let alone be given a chance!

Archived