IGNORED

Red Red Robin....

Tim S

As many of you know, a couple of weeks ago David Lloyd asked for opinions on what music should be played just before kick off at Ashton Gate. He was overwhelmed with the fantastic response and it was clear that the majority of you want to keep it the way it is, with "One for the Bristol City" to be continued to be played and keep our long running association with The Wurzles.

One other thing to come out of your responses was that many of you would also like to hear "When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin along".

This is not a problem, I am happy to play it pre-match in the build up to kick off. However - the version I play seems to have a few fans divided and was just looking for your thoughts on the best version that you want to hear!

The version I have been playing at Ashton Gate recently is one that was given to me by a fan one match day a couple of seasons ago and is the only version I currently have. I dont know who it is by but its quite up tempo and personally I quite like it. But its not just about my personal taste!

Against Ipswich a fan came up to the booth and asked if I could play the Al Jolson version (which I dont currently have) so I have been looking around for it and it seems there are actually several different versions of Red Red Robin, all sung by Al Jolson. So what I would like is for suggestions for which is the best version you want to hear on match days!

Are you happy with the version that we currently play? Would you like to hear an Al Jolson version? Is there another artist who has done a version of Red Red Robin that you think would be better?

This is the version currently played on match days....

I look forward to your thoughts!

Tim Shires (matchday DJ!)

I personally like that version...especially if we've just won, it's great to walk out of AG to, with a smile on your face.

I'd also like to hear the tracks Teardrop by Massive Attack and Glory Box by Portishead, as well as Hungry by Kosheen in the lead up to the game. All great bands from Bristol, and whenever i hear these tracks it makes me think of our great City.

I personally like that version...especially if we've just won, it's great to walk out of AG to, with a smile on your face.

I'd also like to hear the tracks Teardrop by Massive Attack and Glory Box by Portishead, as well as Hungry by Kosheen in the lead up to the game. All great bands from Bristol, and whenever i hear these tracks it makes me think of our great City.

I always try and squeeze in a bit of Massive Attack where I can, although their tunes are quite mellow and they often get played quite early on before many are in the ground! So moral or the story - get there sooner! laughcont.gif

We're trying to get fans in the mood for a game of football, not a suicide pact.

As many of you know, a couple of weeks ago David Lloyd asked for opinions on what music should be played just before kick off at Ashton Gate. He was overwhelmed with the fantastic response and it was clear that the majority of you want to keep it the way it is, with "One for the Bristol City" to be continued to be played and keep our long running association with The Wurzles.

One other thing to come out of your responses was that many of you would also like to hear "When the red red robin comes bob bob bobbin along".

This is not a problem, I am happy to play it pre-match in the build up to kick off. However - the version I play seems to have a few fans divided and was just looking for your thoughts on the best version that you want to hear!

The version I have been playing at Ashton Gate recently is one that was given to me by a fan one match day a couple of seasons ago and is the only version I currently have. I dont know who it is by but its quite up tempo and personally I quite like it. But its not just about my personal taste!

Against Ipswich a fan came up to the booth and asked if I could play the Al Jolson version (which I dont currently have) so I have been looking around for it and it seems there are actually several different versions of Red Red Robin, all sung by Al Jolson. So what I would like is for suggestions for which is the best version you want to hear on match days!

Are you happy with the version that we currently play? Would you like to hear an Al Jolson version? Is there another artist who has done a version of Red Red Robin that you think would be better?

This is the version currently played on match days....

I look forward to your thoughts!

Tim Shires (matchday DJ!)

Why don't you try a few different versions to see which is most popular?dunno.gif

As mentioned on a recent thread I've got a copy of Red Red Robin by Shag Connors and the Carrot Crunchers which was brought out to raise funds in '82.

It's far more gentle and atmospheric than the one above and of course is sung in a proper West Country accent.

It's become my favourite version and quirkily even includes 'Come on you Reds' chanted melodically several times at the end.

there ain't nowt wrong with old fashioned!

:englandsmile4wf:

Sometimes being a bit old fashioned in football is what keeps some of the magic of the original beautiful game alive.

Some of the most legendary songs known in football could be seen as being "old fashioned" but it just wouldnt be the same without them!

i think we need to have a song / tune every fan in the ground will sing along to

eg Stoke City have Delilah! How loud are they? Did you hear West ham singing I'm forever blowing bubbles?

We have got Drink Up Thy Cider for that - but the problem is that when it is played not enough people join in apart from on the big games when Ashton Gate is full.

But would fans like to hear it just before kick off after the teams are read out? Would people join in if we played it just then?

We have got Drink Up Thy Cider for that - but the problem is that when it is played not enough people join in apart from on the big games when Ashton Gate is full.

But would fans like to hear it just before kick off after the teams are read out? Would people join in if we played it just then?

I don't think so, if fans are going to sing (which doesn't happen anyway) they'll do it of their own accord. I don't think playing music will encourage singing... Stoke don't play Delilah, in fact the only song that I can think of that is sung along with it playing in the background is YNWA...

You're doing all you can Tim, it's up to the fans to take some responsibility for the atmosphere.

I enjoy hearing Red Red Robin in almost any form, (please don't find a Rap or drum and bass stylee version :bruce_h4h: ). But I was talking to my mate, a contemporary in age, and we were discussing how the Al Jolson version gave us a feeling of "being at the football". However this may just be us being all nostalgic and not representative the younger element at the ground. I would definitely perservere with a version of the song because it needs to be played often enough to become familiar. In the way you know that "Battle without honour or humanity" has come to mean "5 minutes to kick off" in my head, it would be nice to think that "Red Red Robin" would become associated with the Gate once again.

Sometimes being a bit old fashioned in football is what keeps some of the magic of the original beautiful game alive.

Some of the most legendary songs known in football could be seen as being "old fashioned" but it just wouldnt be the same without them!

Too right i don't really get this American cheer-leaders routine at half time so the old fashioned cider and the current red robin songs at least make people think of little old Brizzle CITY..... I'M not against different modern music being played before the match but i hate this habit of playing music for goals and even corners at some grounds... Ok Massive Attack,KOSHEEN and Portishead might not be to everyones taste but played as part of a play-list over a matchday no worries......Drink up thee cider to me is the song that signals any big important City win and still gets more fans singing along to than any other song .

So the long and short of it as a group of fans were just not interested in vocally getting behind our team as much as Stoke and West ham. As a group of fans I would say 90% don't realize the positive impact it has on a players performance. Supporters need to take responsibly for this but all you ever get is "I have paid my money I can do what I like" (which seems fair enough to me if you want the team to think we pay our money to whinge and whine about them).

we were only saying on saturday when are we going to get the wurzles back at AG they use to be there a lot

I will speak to David Lloyd and see if there are any plans to get them down again at some point, although I dont think they do it for free, and if memory serves me right last time we had them, they just wandered around the pitch waving and miming badly to the songs (it doesnt take a genius to work out that cider might have been involved on that day)! Although I think they go down very well when they performed in the past in the Dolman Hall pre-match .

Is there any chance on turning the speakers in the east end down? a bit? I and others would like to be able to speak to people at half time.

Yes, we are looking into it... I noticed they were considerably louder than they should be and apparently a new amp that powers those speakers was installed over the summer but there is no volume control on the actual amp (unlike the others that can be manually turned down). So we need to call out the people who installed it to turn it down using a computer (things are never easy are they?!!) to access the volume control for that stand.

Trust me, we are aware of the situation and are working to fix it! I hope that helps?

Yes, we are looking into it... I noticed they were considerably louder than they should be and apparently a new amp that powers those speakers was installed over the summer but there is no volume control on the actual amp (unlike the others that can be manually turned down). So we need to call out the people who installed it to turn it down using a computer (things are never easy are they?!!) to access the volume control for that stand.

Trust me, we are aware of the situation and are working to fix it! I hope that helps?

Ah good to hear, i thought they were set like that for a reason! :winner_third_h4h:

Astonishing version by Steve Goodman:

There's a 1.20 min intro before he actually starts singing it.

I imagine he could have performed this better if he hadn't been off his head.

Just shows you what a great song it is and how it improves with a bit more tempo.

Maybe the Wurzels could do a version based on this one.

Personally I like "Hi Ho Silver Lining" by Jeff Beck when we all substitute "Bristol City" for "Silver Lining" when singing along.

But Tim, I don't envy you. You will never please all the people all the time and I think generally you do a great job up there in the booth, which must be about the worst place to watch a game from in the stadium. I hope the club allocate you a seat in the stand to watch the game from when you are not playing music.

Personally I like "Hi Ho Silver Lining" by Jeff Beck when we all substitute "Bristol City" for "Silver Lining" when singing along.

But Tim, I don't envy you. You will never please all the people all the time and I think generally you do a great job up there in the booth, which must be about the worst place to watch a game from in the stadium. I hope the club allocate you a seat in the stand to watch the game from when you are not playing music.

Haven't seen you post in a while, TRP. We've missed your input.

We're trying to get fans in the mood for a game of football, not a suicide pact.

If that's in reference to Massive Attack that's a bit of an odd remark. Love them I do, I wouldn't recommend this as one to walk out but might be good at HT in a game against the likes of Cardiff, Leeds, Millwall and West Ham etc

'we'l knock the milkmaids over and roll em in the clover'

Problem with dink up the cider is that the way we sing it refers to the rovers in an overtly aggressive way making it unsuitable embarrassing for large sections of the crowd to sing . women children and men over forty!!!!!!

personally i prefer ' cider drinker'

And I would say to those people stop being so self conscious, join in with the fun, no one really means it (you'd spend a good couple days trying to find one) and no ones going to judge you for singing along to a song. I know its difficult for most of our supporters but we need to try to enjoy ourselves while watching football.

Archived