IGNORED

New Centre Half From Man City

Robbored

This was on here last week - so they probabaly did pinch it from here :winner_third_h4h:

Delighted if we get him - will feel more optimistic about this season.

I missed that. Shame, I thought maybe the EP were becoming capable of finding their own original sports stories.

If no-one will take them off our hands, even for nothing then we might as well offer them termination by mutual consent?

They all have contracts which were offered to them by previous managers, contracts that we were (at the time) happy that they signed.

Mutual consent will mean that those contracts have to be honoured and paid up in full - so where's the saving ?

CR

If no-one will take them off our hands, even for nothing then we might as well offer them termination by mutual consent?

I don't remember talk of these restrictions when the club were looking for season ticket renewals. SL playing a dangerous game, IMO, and the longer we go on as we are the more we risk being in a relegation fight. Reality needs to strike home here and, as has been said before, no one is going to take the likes of Hunt and co off our hands without us effectively paying up most of their contracts. That money has already been lost and if we can afford a new stadium, the vanity signing that was David James, turning down £4m+ for Nicky and offering him a king's ranson in wages then we should be able to afford one decent centre half in the club.

Seems to me our transfer policy is in a complete mess. All on this forum seem to agree that defence

was our biggest area of concern. So what do we do buy buy payers for the future in the shape of

Bolasie and Taylor adding to a wage bill we have been told must be cut. We then find ourselves

desparatly trying to get players out to free up monies to recruit a loan CH which we have needed all along.

We have boxed ourselves into a corner. There must be clubs out there that would find or surplus to

requirements players an atractive proposition, if the price was right for the player and aquiring club.

If we could ship out say 4 or 5 players deemed surplus to requirements and save say 50 % of their

total wage that would surely be sufficient to fund what we need this year. Free transfers perhaps and pay

half the salery. We all know that next year we have around 12 players out of contract and the cull will

commence. In the short term we have a problem, which could see us flirt with relegation if we are not

very careful. I am keeping the faith, but only just.

Mutual consent will mean that those contracts have to be honoured and paid up in full - so where's the saving ?

Not necessarily - If both parties agree, it can be less. The reason a player might do that is if they are determined to leave a club.

If you read further down the story though it says that MIllen wants to bring him in... but until someone leaves Ashton Gate then he cant.

Why did we sign a winger and striker then :disapointed2se:

Those funds - the transfer fees and wages - would surely cover this defenders loan deal.

Now we are short and risking relegation. Well done Millen.

I can't believe that a L1/L2 club or a SPL side won't pay 1k per week to take Lee Johnson or David Clarkson on loan for 3/6 months......or even Nicky Hunt for that matter.

And if we (as a Championship club) can't get our young uns out on loan to L1 or L2 clubs, then it doesn't say much for the standard of player we are producing from our academy.

BCAGFC

They all have contracts which were offered to them by previous managers, contracts that we were (at the time) happy that they signed.

CR

The whole point of a termination by mutual consent is that both parties agree to take a reduced pay off. If we want to cancel any players contract we don't have to come to any agreement with them, we just pay them the money and cancel the contract.

Personally i think it's time for the board to seriously consider asking SL to cover a one of write off of the large numbers of players that we have that we don't want.

Seems to me our transfer policy is in a complete mess. All on this forum seem to agree that defence

was our biggest area of concern. So what do we do buy buy payers for the future in the shape of

Bolasie and Taylor adding to a wage bill we have been told must be cut. We then find ourselves

desparatly trying to get players out to free up monies to recruit a loan CH which we have needed all along.

We have boxed ourselves into a corner. There must be clubs out there that would find or surplus to

requirements players an atractive proposition, if the price was right for the player and aquiring club.

If we could ship out say 4 or 5 players deemed surplus to requirements and save say 50 % of their

total wage that would surely be sufficient to fund what we need this year. Free transfers perhaps and pay

half the salery. We all know that next year we have around 12 players out of contract and the cull will

commence. In the short term we have a problem, which could see us flirt with relegation if we are not

very careful. I am keeping the faith, but only just.

I have to say this situation and statements made earlier in the close season now appear increasingly ludicrous. If we were to miss out on a quality central defender, who quite honestly is a necessity if we are to have a defensive capability in the championship, after we have spent money on Taylor and Bolasie, it would try the patience of the most loyal of supporters. Millen has stated that he was desperate to reinforce the back line, with offers for Jones,Taylor etc being unsuccessful, and expressed how frustrating it felt not to be able to recruit quality defenders. Now that everyone has purchased their season tickets, and have witnessed the feast of football that was our opening fixture, we are now meant to believe that we cannot bring in an outstanding Premier League defender on LOAN (Not Purchase) until we off load our Deadwood. While I appreciate it is not Millens fault that we have inferior footballers picking up ill - deserved inflated wage packets, the cost of a seasons wages could make the difference between success or failure in the coming months. Lack of ambition and poor performances will increasingly affect attendances at Ashton Gate, so is it too much to expect that the fans and club be given an injection of quality into a back four that is average at best. If we were to miss out on this signing due to budgetary concerns, it would be interesting to see what explanations are forthcoming if we continue to concede amateurish goals and home defeats. I applaud you for your continued faith, as mine stated to rapidly wane after the third Ipswich goal went in!

If you read further down the story though it says that MIllen wants to bring him in... but until someone leaves Ashton Gate then he cant.

That makes no sense, clubs are entitled to bring in more than 1 loanee which is what we currently have. Excuses excuses...probably didn't want to drop down a division.

CR

For the players who will not play for us it would make sense, you can stay at Ashton gate for 2 years receiving your full wage, or get for example 25% of your wages for the next 2 years right now, today, having to do nothing for it. If the players know they are not going to be part of our team for 2 years that could be a good financial deal for them (unless they do not want to play and are happy to be basically back room staff at our club). So we can save money - even if we paid up the full contracts, we loose nothing if they will not play anyway, we would save on them using our facilities and infastructure for 2 years.

I have to say this situation and statements made earlier in the close season now appear increasingly ludicrous. If we were to miss out on a quality central defender, who quite honestly is a necessity if we are to have a defensive capability in the championship, after we have spent money on Taylor and Bolasie, it would try the patience of the most loyal of supporters. Millen has stated that he was desperate to reinforce the back line, with offers for Jones,Taylor etc being unsuccessful, and expressed how frustrating it felt not to be able to recruit quality defenders. Now that everyone has purchased their season tickets, and have witnessed the feast of football that was our opening fixture, we are now meant to believe that we cannot bring in an outstanding Premier League defender on LOAN (Not Purchase) until we off load our Deadwood. While I appreciate it is not Millens fault that we have inferior footballers picking up ill - deserved inflated wage packets, the cost of a seasons wages could make the difference between success or failure in the coming months. Lack of ambition and poor performances will increasingly affect attendances at Ashton Gate, so is it too much to expect that the fans and club be given an injection of quality into a back four that is average at best. If we were to miss out on this signing due to budgetary concerns, it would be interesting to see what explanations are forthcoming if we continue to concede amateurish goals and home defeats. I applaud you for your continued faith, as mine stated to rapidly wane after the third Ipswich goal went in!

To be fair, the EP article was (predictably) poor quality, lazy journalism. They're reporting something which appeared on Sky Sports on Wednesday, was in at least 1 national newspaper yesterday and then they get their act together today. It comprises them regurgitating what was said in other media outlets at least 48 hours ago and cobbling that together with quotes from at least 2 other interviews that have no relation to the situation or lack there of, with Boyata. Steve Lansdown has consistently stated throughout Johnson, Coppells and Millen's reigns that there is no set transfer budget and there is no set wage bill. I would presume this comutes to the new board. In any case, while i'm sure they're disappointed not to have shifted some of the dead-wood (very surprised no one in the SPL has wanted to take Clarkson on unless either he won't move or we won't accept less than 100% contribution to his wage), the situation hasn't changed from when we tried to bring in Jones, Taylor or McCauley. Presumably if wages were available for them, they'd be available for a player of Boyata's quality

Come on people, i know its frustrating that we've not moved on enough over the summer, but remember this is the 'Evil' Post and 90% of what it prints is utter garbage

I don't remember talk of these restrictions when the club were looking for season ticket renewals. SL playing a dangerous game, IMO, and the longer we go on as we are the more we risk being in a relegation fight. Reality needs to strike home here and, as has been said before, no one is going to take the likes of Hunt and co off our hands without us effectively paying up most of their contracts. That money has already been lost and if we can afford a new stadium, the vanity signing that was David James, turning down £4m+ for Nicky and offering him a king's ranson in wages then we should be able to afford one decent centre half in the club.

Totally agree . I would not have renewed and several of my mates wouldn't have either had we been aware that this was going to be the case. I am not talking about reckless speculation, gambling ridiculous amounts of money on a promotion push, but rather subtle improvements to push on from a 16th place finish.

We have made 3 new signings, one of whom is good enough to play 90 mins for Australia but ironically, apparantly not good enough in the view of Milly, to break up the totally ineffective Elliott/Skuse midfield partnership and two decent but untried gambles in Bolasie and Taylor. IMO these players do not fulfil this notion of subtle improvement.. Caulker was a collosus for us last season and we have needed a new left back for several seasons now, these are the areas that need urgent strengthening.

The manner of our defeat last Saturday is what really unsettles me. City were soulless, inept and provided less entertainment than a party political broadcast.

I love BCFC, a major constant in my life, but it's a love affair that is gradually souring, and part of me would almost prefer to go and watch local non-league football where I have less invested emotionally, but I can rely on passionate committed if slightly more 'rough and ready' football every week.

We know that there is money available for defenders from the other players we've pursued since making the signings we have. We need two defenders and it seems pretty obvious that if a convincing case is made to SL he will back it as he always has done. He's not going to risk another poor season for the wages of two players.

Yes we need to reduce losses but we that will be the work of a few seasons as contracts expire.

As for termination by mutual consent, the players concerned may accept a lower pay off than they are entitled to if they are convinced they can go somewhere else and earn more than the difference thus being better off. This would be a good course of action if they're not going to play for us again for footballing reasons.

Excellent post. Indeed, Steve Lansdown is playing a dangerous game in not allowing strengthening of the side because the gulf between us and Ipswich was immense last Saturday. Chopra, Bowyer and their goalie - Aaron Cresswell? - looked a class above. The rest of the Ipswich side only needed to be workmanlike to get the away win - and they were. I just hope Ipswich are not an 'ordinary' side compared to the rest of the Championship or else we'll be in a relegation scrap for sure. Our side needs strengthening with quality signings at the back and in midfield because if we can't get quality passes to Maynard then he's the £4 million+ wasted man up front. I can't say I was impressed with David James on Saturday and - maybe - Gerkin is the better option in goal.

Archived