IGNORED

The Fans Will Vote With Their Feet

harvey54

I'm prepared to take the flak I'll undoubtedly take for posting this but this is the first time in about 10 years that i couldn't be bothered to get a season ticket.

Cost isn't really an issue. I'd told myself over the summer that given the number of games I missed last season to work commitments that I'd just become a member and go to the games i was able to attend but deep down I think I resent paying through the nose to be bored witless. After the Ipswich game I was prepared to miss the next few games but will still be going simply because another ticket holder couldn't be bothered to go!

It's not just the on the field matters that are frustrating me though. A friend of mine is arranging a charity event in Knowle tomorrow in aid of the local air ambulance service through her position at a charity that helps local people with learning difficulties. You'd think that with the greater emphasis on helping forge links with the Community (see David James's article yesterday & the away shirt!) coupled with it being in our patch that the club would at least take a little notice? Not even a reply! I'm ashamed to say..."unlike Bristol Rovers".

You're welcome to slag me off for the contents of this post but when someone who has often been accused of showing blind faith or wearing rose tinted glasses feels this way shouldn't the club be a little worried?

PS in the absence of the club doing anything supportive I'm going to donate my signed pair of Scott Murray's boots to the raffle and if anyone is interested I'll post details of the event later.

Good, sad, post. I'm seriously thinking of not using my season ticket this week, (after thinking long and hard about renewing in the first place) and maybe for many weeks. I've been a ST holder for donkeys years but at the moment everything is very uninspiring. Why do we consistently seem to be "up against it", year in, year out?

Following on from above...

Rovers got a crowd of 8,500 on Saturday which must be bigger than almost all their home crowds last season.

How could this be after a terrible season and relegation? Lots of publicity over numerous new signings, what they think is a good managerial appointment, and optimism of (by their standards) a successful season in the offing.

I don't think the league you are in matters too much, it is the feel good factor around the club and the prospect of entertaining and winning football that gets the fans enthused.

Rovers bubble has burst already of course, and we know they are doomed to failure, but that crowd did surprise me and make me think.

Maybe City being a Championship/Lge 1 yo-yo club would be the answer and we cut our cloth accordingly - at least we'd regularly have enjoyable, successful seasons - and we forget pipe dreams about the PL?dunno.gif

Following on from above...

Rovers got a crowd of 8,500 on Saturday which must be bigger than almost all their home crowds last season.

How could this be after a terrible season and relegation? Lots of publicity over numerous new signings, what they think is a good managerial appointment, and optimism of (by their standards) a successful season in the offing.

I don't think the league you are in matters too much, it is the feel good factor around the club and the prospect of entertaining and winning football that gets the fans enthused.

Rovers bubble has burst already of course, and we know they are doomed to failure, but that crowd did surprise me and make me think.

Maybe City being a Championship/Lge 1 yo-yo club would be the answer and we cut our cloth accordingly - at least we'd regularly have enjoyable, successful seasons - and we forget pipe dreams about the PL?dunno.gif

They probably gave tickets away again. Anyway, expect this to drop dramatically as the season goes on. You're right about the feel good factor though, which has sadly been missing here since our first season in the Championship.:(

I'm prepared to take the flak I'll undoubtedly take for posting this but this is the first time in about 10 years that i couldn't be bothered to get a season ticket.

Cost isn't really an issue. I'd told myself over the summer that given the number of games I missed last season to work commitments that I'd just become a member and go to the games i was able to attend but deep down I think I resent paying through the nose to be bored witless. After the Ipswich game I was prepared to miss the next few games but will still be going simply because another ticket holder couldn't be bothered to go!

It's not just the on the field matters that are frustrating me though. A friend of mine is arranging a charity event in Knowle tomorrow in aid of the local air ambulance service through her position at a charity that helps local people with learning difficulties. You'd think that with the greater emphasis on helping forge links with the Community (see David James's article yesterday & the away shirt!) coupled with it being in our patch that the club would at least take a little notice? Not even a reply! I'm ashamed to say..."unlike Bristol Rovers".

You're welcome to slag me off for the contents of this post but when someone who has often been accused of showing blind faith or wearing rose tinted glasses feels this way shouldn't the club be a little worried?

PS in the absence of the club doing anything supportive I'm going to donate my signed pair of Scott Murray's boots to the raffle and if anyone is interested I'll post details of the event later.

Surely David Lloyd could help you with the charity event. It can't be hard to get a few players to sign a shirt/football?

Surely David Lloyd could help you with the charity event. It can't be hard to get a few players to sign a shirt/football?

Hard to get some of our players to sign anything at the moment!

But what about the 30k stadium that this giant football is obviously crying out for, Noggers?

Where will we be without it? Apparently it is the answer to all of the clubs problems

But what about the 30k stadium that this giant football is obviously crying out for, Noggers?

Where will we be without it? Apparently it is the answer to all of the clubs problems

Yo-yoing between the Championship and League 1 in front of about 10,000 diehards at AG. More in one of our many promotion seasons - similar to WBA, just a bit lower down.

Personally I'm not crying out for the new stadium at all, far from it.

Not particularly interested in the PL either, so obviously not my ambition to see BCFC part of it.

Yo-yoing between the Championship and League 1 in front of about 10,000 diehards at AG. More in one of our many promotion seasons - similar to WBA, just a bit lower down.

Personally I'm not crying out for the new stadium at all, far from it.

Not particularly interested in the PL either, so obviously not my ambition to see BCFC part of it.

My real concern is that we will be yo-yoing with it, as we have for the majority of our history

My real concern is that we will be yo-yoing with it, as we have for the majority of our history

So you foresee City stuck forever in the same 2 divisions as in recent history but in a bright new, half empty stadium with little atmosphere and no history?

Well many others have been convinced that AV is our passport to the Premier League and an extra 15,000+ City fanatics will suddenly appear from nowhere to fill it every week.

As I said, it's someone else's dream, not mine.

Don't want to get into the Gary Johnson debate, but the feeling of togetherness at the club during the 'Always Believe' and Johnson says...' days feels like a heck of a long time ago.

But then that had gone largely by the mid point of the season after the playoffs when the bickering began.

The problem is we have 8/9 thousand fans who will pretty much turn up every week and did when we were in league 1, since we got promoted that normal support level has risen to 13 odd thousand, but there are still only 8/9 thousand who want to support the team no matter what, the extra 4/5 k are still there but only seem to want to sit and moan for 90 minutes.

I have lost a lot of enjoyment of going to Ashton Gate, and it's not because the football is any less entertaining than it has been for the last 3 years (in our playoff season we played some good stuff, since then it has largely been dross) but because i find it nigh on impossible to have a laugh and create some kind of atmosphere, the string of stunningly boring 0-0 draws we had against Bury in league one were some of the most mind numbingly dull football i have ever watched but there were a good group of fans happy to just have a laugh and kind of ignore the fact that the football was garbage, so at least it was enjoyable despite the football being crap. Now it's nothing like that, after the first 5 minutes of the Ipswich game the atmosphere had already died and unlike in the past where you could still enjoy going to a game even if the football was garbage, now you can't as a lot of the people around the middle of Block E of the atyeo where i have sat for the last 12/13 years, have either stopped going because of the stick they started to get from people who only appeared after we got promoted, or moved to the EE for the same reason.

So you foresee City stuck forever in the same 2 divisions as in recent history but in a bright new, half empty stadium with little atmosphere and no history?

Well many others have been convinced that AV is our passport to the Premier League and an extra 15,000+ City fanatics will suddenly appear from nowhere to fill it every week.

As I said, it's someone else's dream, not mine.

If you mean our history since 1945, then yeah, that is exactly what I foresee.

The believe because they want to, blind faith, historic evidence has no bearing.

It is a dream for me, Noggers, a effing nightmare

Don't want to get into the Gary Johnson debate, but the feeling of togetherness at the club during the 'Always Believe' and Johnson says...' days feels like a heck of a long time ago.

Yes- whatever one thought of Johnson eithwr as a man or his methods, there was a great sense of unity during his reign. seems to be lacking somewhat now.

The believe because they want to, blind faith, historic evidence has no bearing.

Cardiff were similar to us, probabaly smaller. They are now nearly full most games and this is without Premier League football. Lots of fans have come out the woodwork simply because of a new stadium and who is to say that can't happen for us?!

Mind you, the matchday experience is probabaly sh!t - but ours isn't exactly amazing is it?

City yo yo-ing between the Championship and League 1 at AG is fine by me, I can take that prospect fairly happily. A few Cup runs would be nice too, I'll never forget being at Leeds in '74, or the Forest game in '89, and another one is long overdue.

But yo yo-ing in a stadium I have no feelings for, and having to walk past an enormous ugly Sainsbury's on the hallowed ground where AG used to be on the way to a new stadium is indeed a nightmare.

Still, we're led to believe it's AG or PL football (even though i've real doubts we'll get there from AV anyway, or thrive if we do) for our beloved club and these days being in the PL seems to be the be all and end all of many fans, whatever the cost to our history.

Not for me - Wedlocks has gone and for me that dreadful sight where something so familiar and valued was obliterated without trace is a portent of things of to come. We probably don't know why each of us fall in love with this club, or why and how that love may one day die, but for me the demolition of AG will be the biggest test.

I'll quite happily say I'm a moaner, not just about football generally I'm a grumpy git. But I have also spent a fortune on this club like many others on here. I would dread to think of the thousands this club has cost me, would I want it all back for the loss of memories of wembley, promotions, Mansfield 5-4 etc not a chance. The simple fact is in recent years going down the gate has become a chore rather than an enjoyable day out, the club seems to have taken it's eye off the ball on the field. They seem to have been preoccupied by the stadium bid, and while I believe it will help us compete financially with the bigger fish, I'm afraid the may have lost many fans on the way. I'll still have my season ticket in 10 years time whether we're at the gate or AV, in the prem or div 4 but with the dross being served up at the moment I fear we're losing not just new fans but the old guard too. That to me is as concerning as moving to a new stadium

Archived