IGNORED

Fontaine To Southampton (Merged Topics)

Cobby the red

I like Fontaine and he's a good player but he's not really progressing at City.

It could be he's in the comfort zone at AG which is no good for us or him, and a change of club, for a good fee, may be beneficial to all.

Spot on.

Any deal which then saw us be able to fund a younger alternative at left back to McAllister or an aerially dominant centre half to partner Wilson or Nyatanga would make perfect sense.

That doesnt sound good to me, hes probably our best centre back, and it means we are selling a player in probably our weakest area. Leaving Nyatanga and Wilson at the back, although Nyatanga had a couple of decent games i still dont rate him hes way too inconsistent and Wilson is very inexperienced. If we do sell i would like to see Stewart back in the team personally, if we can get him fit i think he could be a decent player for us still.

2 years ago I would have been gutted at the thought of Fonts leaving...but he hasnt progressed as I thought he would.

Him, Nyatanga, Carey, Stewart are all much of a muchness for me- so if we can get a good fee for one of them and can replace them with a quality first ball centre half then I would do it.

Everything depends on the fee- and more importantly the replacement though.

It could be he's in the comfort zone at AG which is no good for us or him, and a change of club, for a good fee, may be beneficial to all.

Agree 100% Noggers, really like the guy and he's been a good player - but 4 or 5 seasons at a club isn't always a good thing

I'm sure he'd get a fatter contract down there, at a club that seems to be on the up - I would think this would be a very attractive offer to him, and if the club can get a good deal then it may be time to walk away

It's great this forum - he's rubbish, he's not good enough, he'll never make it, his distribution is awful....but now we wouldn't accept anywhere under £1M for him - there really are some great, highly knowledgeable football managers on here...:tumbleweed:

It's great this forum - he's rubbish, he's not good enough, he'll never make it, his distribution is awful....but now we wouldn't accept anywhere under £1M for him - there really are some great, highly knowledgeable football managers on here...:tumbleweed:

Ever thought it might be different posters offering these views?doh.gif

Managed fine without him for the past two games, haven't we?

I'd say he was one of our better defenders (classic damning with weak praise) but if we get anywhere near £1m for him we should because TBH he aint worth that. So sell and buy a midfield general.

Agree with this, would add I think he's steadily declined since arriving, if it's a sizeable offer I think we should go for it.

Whilst I agree with your point about his career stagnating - I dont think its a good time to let him leave.

We need to be keeping the best defender we have, not getting rid.

It would be criminal to sell him. I don't buy this 'he's in the comfort zone' argument and I think that he's a talented guy who at 25 could get better. I'd be more worried about getting him a long-term partner that compliments his attributes.

£1m isn't going to replace like-for-like I don't think. He may not have been at his best at the start of the season but I'd take him over Nyatanga any day of the week.

Whilst I agree with your point about his career stagnating - I dont think its a good time to let him leave.

We need to be keeping the best defender we have, not getting rid.

Agree with Riaz.

He's the best centre half we have. The only time he looks ordinary is when he doesn't have a quality commanding partner - which in his prime Carey was and last season Caulker was. Futhermore he's left footed which provides balance and cover at full-back.

All efforts need to be focused on finding him a partner along with a replacement for Macca. In the meantime I think offers for Hunt and Stewart are welcome but all other defenders are needed at AG until the extra quality has be added.

Agree with Riaz.

He's the best centre half we have. The only time he looks ordinary is when he doesn't have a quality commanding partner - which in his prime Carey was and last season Caulker was. Futhermore he's left footed which provides balance and cover at full-back.

All efforts need to be focused on finding him a partner along with a replacement for Macca. In the meantime I think offers for Hunt and Stewart are welcome but all other defenders are needed at AG until the extra quality has be added.

Agree with this. Not that I'm comparing the two ability-wise at all, but he reminds me of Rio Ferdinand in that he needs a commanding guy next to him. And in my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All footballers have weaknesses, and that is where it's up to the board/manager to put the right balance of team into place to compensate.

Archived