IGNORED

Fontaine To Southampton (Merged Topics)

Cobby the red

Lets be honest here- there is no way we could turn down nearly a million for an average centre half in the last year of his contract- its a good offer.

Millen has to sell to buy and we dont have many sellable assets (Maynard aside).

There is no need for a crazy panic- even if we dont get the players we need the loan window will be open after the transfer window shuts.

Everything depends on the replacement though...

take one point and not the whole sentence you ****,

I said unless we have others lined up...

The point is your blaming Millen .....you ****

If he has gone to the board and asked to get rid of Fonts then fine ..BUT the board have accepted the offer thus allowing KM to go and get a couple of new defenders ( loans ) that he is after

Hmmm £1 million is a decent price for him but it's only a good price if the replacements are out there and willing to come to us. We're probably looking at a young Prem loan or maybe an upcoming player from League One?

The EP article suggests that Fontaine wanted to go so not much you can do about that.

Onwards and upwards I spose...

Fontaine had less than a year on his contract as well and had not negotiated a new deal yet so what would you expect him to do? He'll get a nice signing on fee, plus percentage of the price and a better weekly wedge. Who can blame him?

The club will eventually get a million rather than Fontaine walking away on a free at the end of the summer.

Good deal all round I reckon.

Good Money for the player, hasn't pushed on from the form of our promotion season and if anything has gone backwards, will no doubt do well at Southampton

At 25 now, with his experience he should be more vocal and commanding and taking charge of the back 4, he isn't doing that and on recent form is no better than Lewin, or with games Wilson and still suffers lack of concentration at times

Technically a decent player, but if replaced with a centre half and left back then good business.

Doesn't matter if board or manager decided to sell, if player indicates little interest in renewing contract and there is a good offer, then you have to sell, what matters is HOW we react to replace him and how quickly, if not replaced then we may have problems.

It's worth remembering that over the past few years, he's been a key part of a Very leaky defence

Are people honestly thinking we can get someone as good as Fontaine for the same money? You wait and see I bet he'll go and buy defenders from Plymouth who wont even get into the first team squad.

We should never of given Carey a new contract and should of offered Fontaine a new deal, but were so blinkered about getting NM to sign it's no wonder Fontaine would leave if all we care about is NM signing.

Should of sold NM for £4.5 million and not your best defender for £800k which may rise to a million.

In Millen we trust! - I Don't

Not happy about this news if true. We should be building a team around our best defender not dismantling it. If there is one area that needs stability it's the defence as we all know.

Well what do we have, Carey on a contract but clearly his starts will be limited, Spence a loanee who isn't ours, Hunt, say no more, Riberio blighted by injuries, Wilson, not the finished article but looks promising,Nyatanga, has done well lately but I wish it was him S'hampton wanted instead, and McAllister who is unchallenged and unpredictable but does seem to play through pain. Then we have a couple of youngsters, again not much championship experience between them.

Seems we are now a selling club, picking up loans and other scraps. Ok last season the loans worked, but just 2 sucesses out of gawd knows how many we have failed with doesn't fill me with confidence. Clubs tend to loan out players for them to get experience, ie use clubs like us to learn their trade or because they are recovering from injury. I don't want guinea pigs, I want the finished article!!! OK we could get a million for Fonts and then have to spend that and more on a replacement of equal or better standard. Surely we should be looking to improve or whats the point?

Southampton are good payers, I have imformation that players at league 1 level were being paid very close to what is rumoured to be our top wage at Championship level. So if money is a factor we won't compete. Also their ambition will take some challenging too.

I just feel sad for my club at the moment. Things just don't feel right.:(

Are people honestly thinking we can get someone as good as Fontaine for the same money? You wait and see I bet he'll go and buy defenders from Plymouth who wont even get into the first team squad.

We should never of given Carey a new contract and should of offered Fontaine a new deal, but were so blinkered about getting NM to sign it's no wonder Fontaine would leave if all we care about is NM signing.

Should of sold NM for £4.5 million and not your best defender for £800k which may rise to a million.

Dont worry, skuse can play centre half

Good Money for the player, hasn't pushed on from the form of our promotion season and if anything has gone backwards, will no doubt do well at Southampton

At 25 now, with his experience he should be more vocal and commanding and taking charge of the back 4, he isn't doing that and on recent form is no better than Lewin, or with games Wilson and still suffers lack of concentration at times

Technically a decent player, but if replaced with a centre half and left back then good business.

Doesn't matter if board or manager decided to sell, if player indicates little interest in renewing contract and there is a good offer, then you have to sell, what matters is HOW we react to replace him and how quickly, if not replaced then we may have problems.

It's worth remembering that over the past few years, he's been a key part of a Very leaky defence

Well put

The other thing people are forgetting is that the BEP website article (which we all seem to be taking as gospel) states the Fontaine asked to be allowed to speak to them. That doesn't sound like the actions of a man who's keen to get a new contract sorted to me. Yes, in an ideal world we'd keep Fontaine and play him and Wilson or him and new centreback together. However, this is far from an ideal world and if anyone thinks that isn't a decent price for a player of Fonts ability, then they're kidding themselves

He may well go to Southampton and fulfill his undoubted potential there and he's always been a player i've rated but if we're all honest he never quite kicked on and fullfilled his full potential. If Millen now announces the signing of Killgallon or some 5h1t-hot 20 year old international from Man City or Spurs then is anyone really going to think we got a bad deal? Thought not...

Fonts is one of our better players even though he has stalled a bit recently - we should not sell him unless we have a replacement lined up who is better that we can actually sign, and the money offered allows us to do that and have some over. In other words, if we can improve the squad. It seems doubtful this is the case.

Ah now i see how a football club is run ................... we never offered Fontaine a new deal because we were too busy worrying about NM and Fonts want to leave because we are giving all of our attention to NM ahhh

How do youknow that there wasn't an offer was on the table

I'm not liking the sound of us losing fontaine. Over the last couple of years hes had so many different partners and thats why he hasn't progressed. If you look at successful teams they have the same 2 centre halves week in week out. Plus i don't really think 1 million pound is enough and i definately don't think millen will let him go for that...............

However what i have seen of wilson, he will be the natural replacement. If we could get stewart fit and back to his best he would be awesome, just doesn't seem to have the 'want' anymore.

Swindon tonight lets see who millen chooses and back them at teh gate. i know il be there. COME ON YOU REDS

I think the focus of any disquiet about this should be on Colin Sexstone and Steve Lansdown. Millen does not have the final say so on transfers. Millen has targeted exactly the kind of players we need but they have chosen elsewhere. If they don't ensure we get the kind of players we need, I'll be looking at them wanting to hear why not. In the last 3 years ill conceived and expensive contracts have been approved but decent targets not secured.

I agree with you donald. I've said numerous times on here that Liam has not progressed over the last few years and has escaped an awful lot of criticism.

However, he is the better of an average bunch. We now need his replacement along with the one or two defenders we needed anyway.

I'm growing more and more disillusioned by the club every day, and really am starting to wonder what the hell is going on

Ah now i see how a football club is run ................... we never offered Fontaine a new deal because we were too busy worrying about NM and Fonts want to leave because we are giving all of our attention to NM ahhh

How do youknow that there wasn't an offer was on the table

This board leaks out when we have offered deals when clubs want our players. Why do you think we hear nothing now.....

This club wont have anything lined up it's just like when Andy Cole left for Newcastle.

FFS, let it go! How many boards / management teams have we had in place since then?

Makes me cringe everytime I see the Andy ******* Cole transfer come up on here

You're blaming Millen?

How do you reach that conclusion?

My guess is that Fontaine wanted to talk to Southampton and Colin Sexstone and probably Lansdown Sr or Jr made the decision to accept the offer.

The bottom line is that if a player wants to go there's not much a club can do to keep him.

I don't buy the argument that City are silly to let him go given the defensive problems at City. Fontaine has been a part of those problems and now it looks as if Wilson is shaping up well enough to fill the vacancy at least until Millen brings more defensive cover.

Not a player that was going to take us on to the next level and with only a year left this is a cracking deal, if the figures are to be believed. Trims the squad and not one that should have been offered a new contract at the end of the season. Can't believe the comparisons people are making with the Maynard situation as the two players are worlds apart in terms of class and potential. Not even first choice CB for me.

This.

Good move for Fonts. Going from a club that's going nowhere to one with PL potential. Who can blame him.

Fonts is one of our better players even though he has stalled a bit recently - we should not sell him unless we have a replacement lined up who is better that we can actually sign, and the money offered allows us to do that and have some over. In other words, if we can improve the squad. It seems doubtful this is the case.

Yes, agreed. This is very likely to end up being a regressive step for us. Sign of the times though I suppose, we need to bring some money in before we can spend it. Tightening of the purse strings is concerning though and it'll take skillful management at all levels of the club to ensure we continue to push forward or at least stay in The Championship

Somebody made a point earlier about us spending 124% of our turnover on wages- which is apparently the highest in the Championship. If that is true its a scary statistic.

Some people might see this sale as a lack of ambition but for me its the way the club needs to be run. We need to sell our sellable assets at the right time and reinvest in young, cheap and hungry replacements who we can then sell on for big profit.

We are NOT a big club, we have over 20 millions quids worth of debt and we cannot continually rely on Steve Lansdown to bail us out.

A really interesting one this!

Firstly have we/the club offered LF a new contract and is this currently being negotiated...We've all been so engrossed with the Maynard contract I'm really not sure what the reality is with Liam.

It is often the case that offers come in that under different circumstances we the club might not consider, however with a player over 24 going out of contract in under a year the situation does change somewhat. if the club have another option lined up then given the need to cut overhead and bring in some funds the club might be prepared to deal.

Wilson has done well since coming in and a partnership could be forming with Nyatanga. When it is considered the club has on its books in addition to these two Carey, Stewart, Ribiero, Skuse also with CB experience it may be considered we have 'emergency, short-term' cover for the Wilson/Nyatanga combo and as such only one CB is required to fulfill the vacancy left by LF.

We have been linked with other players and I suspect coupled with Steve Wigley's connections there are others that can be brought in soon.

LF is a good player, however offers rarely come in for those who are not, as such the club will IMO be taking this very seriously and as such the wild card is...Who can we get to replace the player in the near future

800k plus add ons that could rise to over 1M is good business. Clearly we would want to have a replacement identified and as such and taking into account how KM has said he was changing the clubs scouting/recruitment policy, I suspect an inbound player soon.

Players come and go and in a perfect world both Danny Haynes and Liam Fontaine would still be here and playing in the Premier League, nevertheless new blood is always required as football players can get stale and would want new challenges themselves. In this case the player appears to have said he was interested in the move to Southampton so when all circumstances are considered (size of offer, contract running out, player coming through, player wishing to talk to Southampton etc) it was an easy decision to make.....lets hope the player we get is as good and can be better than Liam....Either way Good Luck Liam Fontaine, thanks for the memories, even if we didnt get to see GJ's bum!!...IS THIS OFFICIAL YET?

Archived