IGNORED

Rebuilding

Byrd9999

In these days of belt-tightening and budget-conscious management, it seems to me that for the next couple of seasons BCFC should adopt a youth-orientated rebuilding programme. Instead of these perpetual half-serious attempts at getting promoted, I think BCFC should hang tight in the Championship, cut a lot of the deadwood and operate with a much-reduced squad.

This isn't possible overnight. it's easy to say "ship out Hunt" etc..., but no one else is interested. BCFC should let the bad contracts expire, and in the meantime give the youngsters a run out to see if they are up to a real promotion push in a couple of years' time. If they're not up to it, let them go. BCFC seems to be in a state of retaining 'promising' youngsters without ever finding out what they are capable of.

BCFC is now an established Championship team, capable of attracting high quality youth players within the region. If youngsters see that it's possible to rise through the ranks at BCFC, rather than rotting in the reserves or out on loan, they'll be more likely to sign on with the club. Imagine, an exciting youthful team built around homegrown talent.

BCFC aren't in much danger of relegation, we're a midtable team on average, so the club should aim to retain enough quality over the next couple of years to keep us up while nurturing cheap, young talent. Once this is in place, then the money should be spent to attract the missing elements to get promotion.

However, this plan does depend on the 'fans' being able to accept that promotion won't be inevitable in the current season, and that serious money won't be spent in the near future. What do you say? Are you serious about seeing BCFC in the Prem in 3 or 4 years time, or do you want a never-ending series of unsuccessful gestures aimed at appeasing the fans who demand transfer activity?

We've been building for better things since the 1980's. We are all rather patient I think. That's if you assume that our rightful place is The Prem. I don't assume that, but would like to see us there, like 80 odd percent of the rest of our league have been. I can 'just' remember our last flirtation with the top flight, So yes, I guess I'm used to waiting....

I respectfully refer you to 99% of the posts on this forum which prove you wrong on this point.

if you would care to add the first sentence to the second instead of just analysing the latter, in the post by Matty H, i think you will find that most of us are, in fact, somewhat on the patient side.

I respectfully refer you to 99% of the posts on this forum which prove you wrong on this point.

I respectfully suggest that you are wrong.

The overwhelming majority of City fans do not EXPECT or DEMAND Premier League football at the moment. We do, however, expect to be entertained more than we have been for the past two seasons.

Nobody expected promotion this season. Keith tried to accuse us of unrealistic expectations but you would be hard put to find anyone on here who would say we should be in the hunt. To suggest we are in no danger of relegation is indicative of the complacency that pervades the club (too good to go down mindset is never healthy), Having said that it was always likely to be next season before the squad was reduced, The question is whether Keith can get in any quaility players with the space that gives him. This transfer window has not been encouraging in that respect, It would help if the club was honest enough to admit they have written this season off and are aiming for survival while cutting costs and hoping the stadium goes ahead. Most would understand that I think and find it preferable to pretence.No doubt they will be all gungo ho next summer until the season ticket deadline passes though.:disapointed2se:

Nobody expected promotion this season. Keith tried to accuse us of unrealistic expectations but you would be hard put to find anyone on here who would say we should be in the hunt. To suggest we are in no danger of relegation is indicative of the complacency that pervades the club (too good to go down mindset is never healthy), Having said that it was always likely to be next season before the squad was reduced, The question is whether Keith can get in any quaility players with the space that gives him. This transfer window has not been encouraging in that respect, It would help if the club was honest enough to admit they have written this season off and are aiming for survival while cutting costs and hoping the stadium goes ahead. Most would understand that I think and find it preferable to pretence.No doubt they will be all gungo ho next summer until the season ticket deadline passes though.:disapointed2se:

I think he is the one with unrealistic expectations, after all he told us twice "he expected us to be pushing for promotion".

I think we are going to have to do a huge rebuild, both on and off the pitch.

I hope the club aren't underestimating the level of feeling by many of the fans. I can't believe the empty seats and ST holders who haven't renewed, people who have been there for years. I can totally understand their feelings though and I am questioning myself in jumping in and renewing early. I see there is an offer on for the Brighton game but to be honest I wouldn't trust City not to embarris me infront of my friends!

I don't expect the Prem, but I just want to be proud that my team can, just occasionally, give other teams a really good game.

I think he is the one with unrealistic expectations, after all he told us twice "he expected us to be pushing for promotion".

Optimistic I'll agree but we are only 5 games into the new season and no-one has a crystal ball to tell us where City might be come March/April 2012. Some more long terms loans next week and there's every chance that City could go on a decent run. We are already 3 undefeated.

As for rebuilding. That's what I've been saying all along but have ( as usual ) taken much stick from the anti-Millen posters who clearly don't see things the same way.

Optimistic I'll agree but we are only 5 games into the new season and no-one has a crystal ball to tell us where City might be come March/April 2012. Some more long terms loans next week and there's every chance that City could go on a decent run. We are already 3 undefeated.

As for rebuilding. That's what I've been saying all along but have ( as usual ) taken much stick from the anti-Millen posters who clearly don't see things the same way.

You get stick because you think you know it all.

So why if he is re-building does he rely on GJ signed players some of whom you have berated and not the players he has signed himself? and how is that re-building?.

So why if he is re-building does he rely on GJ signed players some of whom you have berated and not the players he has signed himself? and how is that re-building?.

Do you enjoy going around in circles?

The questions you ask have been discussed in numerous other threads but you must have erased them from your memory banks.

I have no problem with rebuilding. What irks me is the club not coming clean on what the strategy clearly is and Keith and Colin contradicting each other. At the same time rebuilding does not give Keith a free pass on his day to day management and he is as open to legitimate criticism on tactics, selection, quaility of football, recruitment, his public pronouncements etc. as any other manager.

In these days of belt-tightening and budget-conscious management, it seems to me that for the next couple of seasons BCFC should adopt a youth-orientated rebuilding programme. Instead of these perpetual half-serious attempts at getting promoted, I think BCFC should hang tight in the Championship, cut a lot of the deadwood and operate with a much-reduced squad.

This isn't possible overnight. it's easy to say "ship out Hunt" etc..., but no one else is interested. BCFC should let the bad contracts expire, and in the meantime give the youngsters a run out to see if they are up to a real promotion push in a couple of years' time. If they're not up to it, let them go. BCFC seems to be in a state of retaining 'promising' youngsters without ever finding out what they are capable of.

BCFC is now an established Championship team, capable of attracting high quality youth players within the region. If youngsters see that it's possible to rise through the ranks at BCFC, rather than rotting in the reserves or out on loan, they'll be more likely to sign on with the club. Imagine, an exciting youthful team built around homegrown talent.

BCFC aren't in much danger of relegation, we're a midtable team on average, so the club should aim to retain enough quality over the next couple of years to keep us up while nurturing cheap, young talent. Once this is in place, then the money should be spent to attract the missing elements to get promotion.

However, this plan does depend on the 'fans' being able to accept that promotion won't be inevitable in the current season, and that serious money won't be spent in the near future. What do you say? Are you serious about seeing BCFC in the Prem in 3 or 4 years time, or do you want a never-ending series of unsuccessful gestures aimed at appeasing the fans who demand transfer activity?

Sounds good in theory, but imho, it's never going to happen. With respect...If it were that easy, every Club would be doing it.

We have an awful record of bringing on youth players, and just letting them fester. At the moment our development coach is Alan Walsh and our under 21 coach Gary Owers...need i say more.

Personally I think we will never see this Club in the Premier League. I can see us being relegated and at most a mid table Championship side.

The only way we are going to get a chance of going up, is if we have a new benefactor and a good manager with experience at this level or above.

We have never had a seriously good manager in the last 30 years or a decent Coach ( arguably Benny Lennartson would have been your man for bringing on young players)

Tbh...I think a lot of what holds this Club back, is the expectation of the fans, and the pressure that generates, and this so called sleeping giant we are supposed to be. More like a Coma.

If we can consolodate as an average Championship side and go about our business wisely, and learn from our mistakes, there is no reason why we can't start playing some entertaining football and generate some love back in this Club.

At the moment, we feel like a Ship lost at sea without a rudder, leaking water slowly, and a fan base that seems like it is split 50/50 between helping baleing the ship out or jumping.

If you think millen will do anything then you really are deluded. Where have you been the last 50 games?

We are going one way with this guy in charge and that's down. I'm just hopeful that the players know what their doing and probably best to listen to DJ rather than KM

If you think millen will do anything then you really are deluded. Where have you been the last 50 games?

We are going one way with this guy in charge and that's down. I'm just hopeful that the players know what their doing and probably best to listen to DJ rather than KM

Why don't you copy and paste your posts?

It would same time because you post the same thing again and again.

Just a shame our board were more forward thinking when they Got rid of Benny. By now we would have an excellent youth setup. He in his short time did more for the youth young players of Bristol City than Anyone has done since the early 80's when we forced to use youth. Very poor decision getting rid of Benny. If only he had stayed on in the Role he was intended to take.

It makes me angry the way he was treated.

Just a shame our board were more forward thinking when they Got rid of Benny. By now we would have an excellent youth setup. He in his short time did more for the youth young players of Bristol City than Anyone has done since the early 80's when we forced to use youth. Very poor decision getting rid of Benny. If only he had stayed on in the Role he was intended to take.

It makes me angry the way he was treated.

Totally agree with this

BCFC aren't in much danger of relegation.

No not at the moment we're not!

I just wonder with this rebuilding job, what are we going to do next summer?, we have (as some have said) 12 players out of contract, I'd rather a gradual rebuilding rather than what the gash have done and bring a new squad in over the summer. Is Keith the man to do this job, I don't know personally :dunno:

No not at the moment we're not!

I just wonder with this rebuilding job, what are we going to do next summer?, we have (as some have said) 12 players out of contract, I'd rather a gradual rebuilding rather than what the gash have done and bring a new squad in over the summer. Is Keith the man to do this job, I don't know personally :dunno:

Are you assuming BCFC are rebuilding...? There is no indication this is the case. Personally, I would have taken the Maynard money. Stead and Pitman ought to have enough goals in them to keep the club out of the bottom 3.

Anyway, assuming BCFC are rebuilding, there is no need to get rid of everyone overnight. Retain enough quality, hopefully lowercost (i.e. Skuse over Cisse, Gerken over James, Fontaine over Hunt.), to keep the club in the division, then test out our 'promising' youngsters to see which ones could make the grade going forward.

Are you assuming BCFC are rebuilding...? There is no indication this is the case. Personally, I would have taken the Maynard money. Stead and Pitman ought to have enough goals in them to keep the club out of the bottom 3.

Anyway, assuming BCFC are rebuilding, there is no need to get rid of everyone overnight. Retain enough quality, hopefully lowercost (i.e. Skuse over Cisse, Gerken over James, Fontaine over Hunt.), to keep the club in the division, then test out our 'promising' youngsters to see which ones could make the grade going forward.

No you're right I don't think there is any rebuilding going on. I'm torn between thinking we should have taken the money, (a substantial bid wasn't it?) and thinking that I'll be happy with Maynard scoring enough goals to keep us in the Championship.

Archived