IGNORED

Would People Rather We Were In League 1?

Loderingo

I've been watching City since 88-89 and in that time I reckon we have seen 4 seasons in the top half of the Championship, 6 in the bottom half of the Championship and the other 12 in league 1 (probably bar 1 in the top half of league 1)

Now when we were in league 1, there were generally 6-8 decent teams each year and a lot of bad teams. This meant that we would regularly steamroller teams (particularly at AG) due to their weak defences. Lets be honest when we were bad we could be truly awful but the great performances meant it was easier to forget the bad ones.

Now in the Championship the last 3 years we have been mid table and you generally don't get to steamroller teams any more. Occasionally we will get turned over by the better teams (particularly away) and sometimes we will dominate on the break e.g. winning 4-2 at Watford a few seasons back but this doesn't happen as often. Teams often come to the Gate for a point and are are often much better at this than a league 1 team would be due to better defences. So we can't steamroller very often any more and the fans get bored. I suppose the question is how many teams around us played scintillating football last season. Did Barnsley, Ipswich, Portsmouth, or Boro? I don't think so. I think Watford had one good spell but were then found out.

So even though we have much better players now (Yes McAllister for all his faults is still better than Craig Woodman) and a higher standard of football would anyone swap it for being at the top of league 1?

I was just thinking this the other day.

Obviously we want to be playing the best teams week in, week out but the passion has gone from the club and the only way I can see us getting it back is if we are lucky enough to have a couple of successful seasons back in League 1.

We are never going to be able to compete with the big boys in the championship (there are just too many of them) and unless the attitude from the top changes, we will always struggle towards the foot of the table.

If we were guaranteed to be a yo-yo club between the top of L1 & the bottom of the Championship, then I would probably go with that.........uinless the EE starts to create an atmosphere again at AG..............................NAH!!!....not going to happen.

BCAGFC

Obviously we want to be playing the best teams week in, week out but the passion has gone from the club and the only way I can see us getting it back is if we are lucky enough to have a couple of successful seasons back in League 1.

We are never going to be able to compete with the big boys in the championship (there are just too many of them) and unless the attitude from the top changes, we will always struggle towards the foot of the table.

If we were guaranteed to be a yo-yo club between the top of L1 & the bottom of the Championship, then I would probably go with that.........uinless the EE starts to create an atmosphere again at AG..............................NAH!!!....not going to happen.

BCAGFC

Oh dear :disapointed2se:

BCAGFC

Well said...

:tumbleweed:

:facepalm:

I just think a lot of people need a reality check. We're not in the Championship to go out and storm it.

It takes time to build and try to be steady. I can vaguely remember a topic on here maybe last season where the question was raised on whether the voice of reason (this forum) would prefer City going for it in the Prem or staying in the Championship for many seasons. If I remember rightly, the majority were in favour of us staying steady in the Championship for many seasons.

Funny how expectations/opinions change. Some may argue that they haven't changed and that they just want Millen out. Maybe the 'regular' posters on here have changed since the said topic was raised?!

Having someone steady like Millen is the answer to us being an average Championship team. I'm sure that he can continue to ignore the moaners and convince the board he can create a good team worthy of a strong push given time.

Anyways, the answer to the question of this topic is NO.

I've been watching City since 88-89 and in that time I reckon we have seen 4 seasons in the top half of the Championship, 6 in the bottom half of the Championship and the other 12 in league 1 (probably bar 1 in the top half of league 1)

Now when we were in league 1, there were generally 6-8 decent teams each year and a lot of bad teams. This meant that we would regularly steamroller teams (particularly at AG) due to their weak defences. Lets be honest when we were bad we could be truly awful but the great performances meant it was easier to forget the bad ones.

Now in the Championship the last 3 years we have been mid table and you generally don't get to steamroller teams any more. Occasionally we will get turned over by the better teams (particularly away) and sometimes we will dominate on the break e.g. winning 4-2 at Watford a few seasons back but this doesn't happen as often. Teams often come to the Gate for a point and are are often much better at this than a league 1 team would be due to better defences. So we can't steamroller very often any more and the fans get bored. I suppose the question is how many teams around us played scintillating football last season. Did Barnsley, Ipswich, Portsmouth, or Boro? I don't think so. I think Watford had one good spell but were then found out.

So even though we have much better players now (Yes McAllister for all his faults is still better than Craig Woodman) and a higher standard of football would anyone swap it for being at the top of league 1?

No. Any other nonsense questions?

NO!!

What's the point in being in any division unless you have an ambition to win it?

We spent 9 seasons in League 1 last time. 9 season's striving for the 'promised land' that is the Championship. Now we are there, and the 'promised land' is the Premier League (which we were 1 game away from reaching).

I completely understand the principle of being in a lower league that we can be near the top of, so us supporters can wend our way to AG confident of a win, but if anybody wants my honest opinion (they probably don't), under the current managership I don't actually believe that we would be near the top of League 1 anyway.

Anyone who wishes us to drop down a division is nothing less than a clown.

They may well get their wish though.....

BCAGFC

Fo0k me i know times are pretty shite at the moment but blimey to actually WANT to yo-yo between League 1 and the Championship really really baffles me. We are better than that, clubs that yo-yo between the second and third tier are your S****horpe's Pboro's of this world, we are much bigger and better than that.. Now the dust has settled from that play off year we have finally settled into our natural position in English football IMO, mid table in the second tier with the possibility that if we get on a good run etc the chance of promotion similar to Burnley Swansea etc ..

Yeah things have gone stale at theclub but to want us to go backwards is just plain stupid. Get behind the team and hopefully before we know it the stadium will be up and ready, a bit of serious investment an we can challenge at this level.

Are you insane? We tried for years to get out of league one and now you want to go back there!

You must have a short memory. I don't recall us 'steamrollering' teams on a weekly basis. In fact, it was pretty desperate at times.

Using your logic, we should just cut our losses and play park football against pub teams. I would like to think we'd win more of them than we'd lose.

Fo0k me i know times are pretty shite at the moment but blimey to actually WANT to yo-yo between League 1 and the Championship really really baffles me. We are better than that, clubs that yo-yo between the second and third tier are your S****horpe's Pboro's of this world, we are much bigger and better than that.. Now the dust has settled from that play off year we have finally settled into our natural position in English football IMO, mid table in the second tier with the possibility that if we get on a good run etc the chance of promotion similar to Burnley Swansea etc ..

Yeah things have gone stale at theclub but to want us to go backwards is just plain stupid. Get behind the team and hopefully before we know it the stadium will be up and ready, a bit of serious investment an we can challenge at this level.

History says we are not better than that. It is going to take a massive investment to change our standing of a 2nd tier 3rd tier yo yo club.

History says we are not better than that. It is going to take a massive investment to change our standing of a 2nd tier 3rd tier yo yo club.

So are you saying that without a massive investment relegation is inevitable in the near future?

I hope not, because other clubs with limited resources have proved otherwise.

tbh dont think milly is the person to carry us foreward- do we want to be a championship team that holds its head just above relegation? do we need a step back before we take a step foreward ? do we need lots of seasons like season the only real celebratins was us staying up and perhaps even more important the gash going down which seemed to bring much more singing than more the encouraging songs for the city

Are you insane? We tried for years to get out of league one and now you want to go back there!

You must have a short memory. I don't recall us 'steamrollering' teams on a weekly basis. In fact, it was pretty desperate at times.

Using your logic, we should just cut our losses and play park football against pub teams. I would like to think we'd win more of them than we'd lose.

I agree that when we were bad we were very bad. I asked the original question because so many people say they have stopped going and are fed up. If we are playing better football in a higher division and are mid table then why is everyone so fed up?

I agree that when we were bad we were very bad. I asked the original question because so many people say they have stopped going and are fed up. If we are playing better football in a higher division and are mid table then why is everyone so fed up?

I don't think peoplewho have stopped going would return if we were relegated and were then sucessful in League 1. I think there is more than one reason why fans are not going to games

1. Expectation levels.

After reaching the play off final the club seems to have been going backwards. The appointment of Coppell promised much and when his swift departure was followed byu Millen's appointment it is fair to say that a large majority fo City fans were disappointed. I also think fans were prepared to remain optimistic with Millen having a full preseason to build his team, but just now that feels like a false dawn as results and performances have continued to disappoint, by and large.

2. Confidence in the club.

Not only do we have a new manager struggling to convince fans of his ability, but we have a new board and chairman.Following on from Steve Lansdown's era, during which he acheived almost Messiah like status with supporters, things don't seem to have gone so smoothy of late. We have seen the manager and chairman at odds over transfer strategy and Maynard's transfer/contract saga still apparently unresolved. A combination of all of these things do not inspire confidence in the club.

3. Disenchantment with football in general.

I am convinced that many fans, especially the older fans, are falling out of love with top flight football and I include the championship in that bracket these days. When we have £12000 pw players stuck in the reserves with no future at the club and we are on the verge of playing a championship player £25000+ per week, it makes us realise that the game has changed and not necessarily for ther better. Do we want to the prem and could we afford to get to the prem looking at the crazy money involved? Only this morning I've been listening to Peter Reid tellingof the plight of Plymouth players, many of whom have not been paid since last October. When you realise that Rooney's earnings in one month would probably pay the bulk of Plymouths salary bill for year it makes you realise that perhaps the game has got it's priorities all wrong.

P.S. Just heard on Talksport news that a footballer on £4000 p week could not afford to pay off mortgage arrears because of the cost of keeping his Ferrari on the road - says it all reallty!

4. Cost.

With all of the above, and bearing in mind the general financial climate, I am sure that more and more fans are questioning whether they can justify the outlay of £30 for a game. If father's want to take their kids ( our fans for the future) the pressure is even greater.

When I go to watch City play I get just the same feeling of excitment and nervousness as I did 40 years. Sitting here thinking about the club and the game I get angry and frustrated by the way in which the great game I grew up watching and playing has been hijacked by media and big business for profit, and to line the pockets of players and agents and all at the fans expense. The ordinary guy cant affiord to take his 2 sons to see his local league side play because he is paying out £70 per month for his Sky sports package.

No way do I want us back in League One.

I like the fact that the teams we are coming up against are organised and have some very good players - for example, Craig Bellamy played against us, he's now back in the prem with liverpool.

I'd hate to be back down there - and thats the reason I dont want Millen, because thats where i think we are heading IMO

I don't think peoplewho have stopped going would return if we were relegated and were then sucessful in League 1. I think there is more than one reason why fans are not going to games

1. Expectation levels.

After reaching the play off final the club seems to have been going backwards. The appointment of Coppell promised much and when his swift departure was followed byu Millen's appointment it is fair to say that a large majority fo City fans were disappointed. I also think fans were prepared to remain optimistic with Millen having a full preseason to build his team, but just now that feels like a false dawn as results and performances have continued to disappoint, by and large.

2. Confidence in the club.

Not only do we have a new manager struggling to convince fans of his ability, but we have a new board and chairman.Following on from Steve Lansdown's era, during which he acheived almost Messiah like status with supporters, things don't seem to have gone so smoothy of late. We have seen the manager and chairman at odds over transfer strategy and Maynard's transfer/contract saga still apparently unresolved. A combination of all of these things do not inspire confidence in the club.

3. Disenchantment with football in general.

I am convinced that many fans, especially the older fans, are falling out of love with top flight football and I include the championship in that bracket these days. When we have £12000 pw players stuck in the reserves with no future at the club and we are on the verge of playing a championship player £25000+ per week, it makes us realise that the game has changed and not necessarily for ther better. Do we want to the prem and could we afford to get to the prem looking at the crazy money involved? Only this morning I've been listening to Peter Reid tellingof the plight of Plymouth players, many of whom have not been paid since last October. When you realise that Rooney's earnings in one month would probably pay the bulk of Plymouths salary bill for year it makes you realise that perhaps the game has got it's priorities all wrong.

P.S. Just heard on Talksport news that a footballer on £4000 p week could not afford to pay off mortgage arrears because of the cost of keeping his Ferrari on the road - says it all reallty!

4. Cost.

With all of the above, and bearing in mind the general financial climate, I am sure that more and more fans are questioning whether they can justify the outlay of £30 for a game. If father's want to take their kids ( our fans for the future) the pressure is even greater.

When I go to watch City play I get just the same feeling of excitment and nervousness as I did 40 years. Sitting here thinking about the club and the game I get angry and frustrated by the way in which the great game I grew up watching and playing has been hijacked by media and big business for profit, and to line the pockets of players and agents and all at the fans expense. The ordinary guy cant affiord to take his 2 sons to see his local league side play because he is paying out £70 per month for his Sky sports package.

Very good post...well put.

Football in general is up against it, as like you say people are subscribing to Sky and watching from home. Therefore it is mainly the big Clubs in the Prem that benefit from the TV rights.

Also, there is so much more for people to do and see these days for Entertainment.

Many of us have rose tinted glasses of the 70's and 80's when going to the football was fun, as there was far less to do and we only had 3 TV channels.

Although some footballers back then were on good wages. I was told Chris Garland was on £500 per week when he was here. A massive amount back then. They just seemed more approachable and less like Brain dead Chav muppetts than they do today. That's what most of a certain generation think.

Archived