IGNORED

City V Brighton Play Off Final

Abraham Romanovich

My biggest memory was the predicatbility of it all and how it could and should have been avoided. An under pressure Danny Wilson earlier in the season, who was desperate for a result, went gung ho in he away fixture earlier in the season when City ran out 4-1 winners at Brighton. Unfortunately ina must win game at home towards the end of the season he reverted to type and a goaless bore drawn was played out at Ashton Gate.

Unfortunatley for us all Wilson just was far to defensive by nature and City set up as you say far to negitively at Cardiff and possiable one of the worst play-off finals was played out right how Brighton would have wanted. City posed little threat all day and self distructed when Craig Woodman passed back into his own box resulting in the penalty.

Complete and utter shambles .

After the excitement of the Hartlepool win .to go and perform like we did was unforgiveable.

To this day don't understand why we set up so defensively and left out Lita.

Drive back on the M4 seemed to take for ever

It seems that everybody blames Wilson and in particular the exclusion of Lita. Whilst that may or may not have been a mistake, it should also be said that the players just didn't show up on the day - we lost, IMO, not because of the selection or formation but because players didn't play.

Looking back I can't even remember one good chance created on the day, so why anybody thinks Lita being in the team with zero service would have made any difference is a mysytery to me. The biggest non-performer on the day was I believe Brian Tinnion, our 'legend' of a midfield player, who did and created nothing at all. He did, however, win the post-match slagging off Danny award and went on went on the get himself an underserved, and very woefully unsuccesful, shot the managers job. Dirty work indeed - no wonder Danny refused to shake his hand.

It seems that everybody blames Wilson and in particular the exclusion of Lita. Whilst that may or may not have been a mistake, it should also be said that the players just didn't show up on the day - we lost, IMO, not because of the selection or formation but because players didn't play.

Looking back I can't even remember one good chance created on the day, so why anybody thinks Lita being in the team with zero service would have made any difference is a mysytery to me. The biggest non-performer on the day was I believe Brian Tinnion, our 'legend' of a midefield player, who did and created nothing at all. He did, however, win the post-match slagging off Danny award and went on went on the get himself an underserved, and very woefully unsuccesful, shot the managers job. Dirty work indeed - no wonder Danny refused to shake his hand.

Wilsons time was up regardless. He spent a fortune in that division and failed to get us promoted, he let the piss heads rule in the dressing room and it didn't sit well with the more professional players at the club. I'm glad Tinnion did speak up personally, wish more had done the same. Tinnion was a great servant to the club, not in the Atyeo realms but a very good player of his generation at our club and most will fondly remember him because of that, not his manager stint.

I had booked my flight home before the semi-final, and had to listen to the 2nd leg at work. I was facing a hefty cancellation charge, until the goals went in, I went berserk in my office, and my colleagues didn't have a clue why.

Arrived back in England on the Saturday morning, drove from Heathrow in the bumper-to-bumper jam of West Ham and Palace fans.

Got the train to Cardiff on the Sunday, and had a great day out, aside from the obvious.

Drove back to Heathrow on the Monday morning, wondering just why I had bothered.

city.gifIf you read Christian Roberts book he says that we did everything the same as we did for the second leg against Hartlepool which was a mistake because although the hartlepool game will stay in the memory for a long time it will only be the last few mins as we did not play that well in that game.

Although what happened in the build up stayed forever with Christian as he has it tattooed on him.

city.gifIf you read Christian Roberts book he says that we did everything the same as we did for the second leg against Hartlepool which was a mistake because although the hartlepool game will stay in the memory for a long time it will only be the last few mins as we did not play that well in that game.

Although what happened in the build up stayed forever with Christian as he has it tattooed on him.

I agree. We were terrible for 170 minutes of those Hartlepool games.

For some reason we didn't learn from that.

Bit of random thread...

To this day that is one of the worst performances I've ever seen in it's context. It was appalling. One of the strangest team selections you will ever see and a complete disaster from start to finish. As others have said to do that after the way we beat Hartlepool, in such dramatic fashion after being, as Alex quite rightly pointed out, pretty shit over the two legs is something only our beloved Bristol City could do. You've just got to love us.

I was quite young but I remember the Hartlepool right back getting knocked out by a cross or something? Was Nelson his name? It seemed to really shake their players up and they were awful after that and we got back into it.

I remember Knight's penalty being at the other end of the stadium and being a cracker, I also remember everyone around me's confusion about Lita not being there!

Good point, well made.

Must be absolutely gutting to fly all those miles and watch that insipid performance, on the plus side you don't have to watch that every home game.

I was gutted. I got on TV though and expressed my opinion of Danny Wilson. I do remember nodding off in the second half, I put it down to jet lag!

And yes I dont have to watch it every home game, but I can tell you this, I still feel it as bad as everyone else.

I am the ultimate fan in my opinion. I support them to very end in everyway, and cant even get to see them play.

That took some getting over.

Personally found 07/08 much more difficult; a game we could have won and looked like winning until Bradley's injury, just couldn't wear them down. At least v Brighton you could see we were never going anywhere from the first whistle.

Some ****er under taking our mini bus on the way home almost causing a pile up is what sticks in my mind haha

Apart from that shite game pretty dire atmosphere aswell, as someone else said all they sang was ''albion albion albion'' :facepalm: Pre match in the boozer's around the ground etc as with most away days following City was prob the best bit for me..

Archived