IGNORED

City V Brighton Play Off Final

Abraham Romanovich

Personally found 07/08 much more difficult; a game we could have won and looked like winning until Bradley's injury, just couldn't wear them down. At least v Brighton you could see we were never going anywhere from the first whistle.

I agree with this. I wasn't even at Wembley either. About 15 months before (we were still league 1) we booked a trip to travel California. I was devastated to miss it, truly gutted.

I can remember pacing up and down in a hotel, at about 8am in Lake Tahoe! My mates and dad were texting me updates continuously!

Worst thing was we were in the coach driving through the mountains for what would have been the last 20 minutes or so, and I had no signal. My signal came back when the game would have been long finished. All the texts started coming through late until eventually the one from my dad, and I can remember it word for word "that's it! All over! We didn't make it"

Felt sick to the pit if my stomach, as I really felt that was "our chance".

My biggest memory was the predicatbility of it all and how it could and should have been avoided. An under pressure Danny Wilson earlier in the season, who was desperate for a result, went gung ho in he away fixture earlier in the season when City ran out 4-1 winners at Brighton.

But lets not forget that it was a result of Peacock having a cold that resulting in DW forcing to play Miller & Roberts and we ran them ragged. Of course how Peacock got that cold is another story.

My only lasting distinct memory of that game was tinnion being absolutely dire. I recall us having the ball around the edge of the area but all the players unwilling to shoot. The conspiracy theorist could be forgiven for wondering if certain individuals just wanted Wilson out. Didn't we line up with woodman left wing?

I think that was the worst i've ever felt after a city match.

I'd had the week from hell having split up with my ex partner, and getting an eviction notice from my flat. I really needed City to give me something to smile about, but instead it just turned out to be the big fat cherry on top of the steaming dog turd. To go from the high of the Hartlepool comeback to the low of that lifeless performance was unbelievable... And I'll admit it, I shed a couple of tears.

My big memory of it- the killer blow apart was some grumpy **** pensioners behind me and those I went with poking us rather hard in the back when we stood up briefly to shout something after the penalty- you don't do that, could have caused bother. Was very disappointing day though and no mistake.

On the first bit though- imagine, the termerity to dare to stand at football after a key moment and get poked in the back- ******* stupid which is why I still remember it well!

Personally found 07/08 much more difficult; a game we could have won and looked like winning until Bradley's injury, just couldn't wear them down. At least v Brighton you could see we were never going anywhere from the first whistle.

I felt the opposite funnily enough, at least against Hull we gave it a go!

I was dissapointed yeah, but after Cardiff I just felt numb for weeks.:tumbleweed:

Relaxed atmosphere in the sunny park beforehand with young Turnip joining in a mass game of football between young City and Brighton fans.

All the time a ghastly droning of 'Aaaaalbbbbbiiiiiiooonnnnnnnnn, Aaaaalbbbbbbbbbiiiiioooonnnnnnnnn' coming from somewhere over the high park wall.

When we left the park we realised exactly where it had been coming from - there was a mass of Brighton fans outside a pub almost immediately opposite and as soon as they spotted the two of us, plus my wife and daughter, in our City shirts, about 500 beer bellied stripe shirted bald headed 45 year olds started pointing directly at us and started singing 'The Bristol Family' at us.ranting.gif

Making our way round the ground we went past a City fan on the ground who we were told had apparently just been run down by a car.sad.gif

Round the side we edged our way through huge groups of City fans and Brighton fans massed outside pubs about 20 yards apart singing at each other with just a few police inbetween. Reasonably good humoured but looked like it would only take one idiot on either side to change the mood dramatically.

Round the next bit we were in a sea of Red approaching the City turnstiles and a fantastic carnival atmosphere.

Suddenly we were bumping into familiar faces all over the place and that 10 minutes or so of shared optimism before going in the stadium, plus the football in the park, were the only good memories of the whole day - as for the match, nah, blotted it out completely.sad.gif

Got so excited, had never been to Millenium before... had never really thought we would do it that season, but after the come back against Hartlepool I genuinely thought that the team spirit of that 03/04 squad, regardless of its short comings would see us through.

And then it all just fell apart.

I remember hearing Oasis' Stop crying your heart against images of the city faithful. It was harder to take (for me personally) than the play offs vs Hull.

Still...

anyone fancy a pint?

Wilsons time was up regardless. He spent a fortune in that division and failed to get us promoted, he let the piss heads rule in the dressing room and it didn't sit well with the more professional players at the club. I'm glad Tinnion did speak up personally, wish more had done the same. Tinnion was a great servant to the club, not in the Atyeo realms but a very good player of his generation at our club and most will fondly remember him because of that, not his manager stint.

Indeed, and should have been before then given the money he spent. Of course he assured us that losing the final was not failure. Bear in mind also that his departure was in part a result of his refusal to accept that the budget had to be cut. Ultimately Gary Johnson put right the legacy of the Wilson era and won promotion on a relative shoestring, though of course to a certain hard core Wilson was a success and Johnson a failure.:closedeyes: Never let the facts get in the way I suppose.:innocent06:

I felt the opposite funnily enough, at least against Hull we gave it a go!

I was dissapointed yeah, but after Cardiff I just felt numb for weeks.:tumbleweed:

I am with you on this: by the time I had got back into the pub at Marylebone I was over the Hull game. Maybe down to my lack of emotional ties to the club....

Closed I've ever come to leaving a match before the final whistle. I remember waiting at the top of the steps for the whistle and then left.

Best bit about the whole day? The different route our coach driver took to get out of Cardiff. Seemed to avoid all the traffic and get us back to The Coopers in double quick time!

It seems that everybody blames Wilson and in particular the exclusion of Lita. Whilst that may or may not have been a mistake, it should also be said that the players just didn't show up on the day - we lost, IMO, not because of the selection or formation but because players didn't play.

Looking back I can't even remember one good chance created on the day, so why anybody thinks Lita being in the team with zero service would have made any difference is a mysytery to me. The biggest non-performer on the day was I believe Brian Tinnion, our 'legend' of a midfield player, who did and created nothing at all. He did, however, win the post-match slagging off Danny award and went on went on the get himself an underserved, and very woefully unsuccesful, shot the managers job. Dirty work indeed - no wonder Danny refused to shake his hand.

You are indeed correct in your analysis. The players did not show up on the day. On occasions where this is a 'one-off' it is harsh to blame the manager, however I don't believe that was the case with Wilson any more than it is the case with Millen now.

The point about Lita is that he would often make himself space and create a goal out of nothing, something Maynard is also adept at. Therefore he was possibly the only player on the day that could have won the game without any degree of service.

You are indeed correct in your analysis. The players did not show up on the day. On occasions where this is a 'one-off' it is harsh to blame the manager, however I don't believe that was the case with Wilson any more than it is the case with Millen now.

The point about Lita is that he would often make himself space and create a goal out of nothing, something Maynard is also adept at. Therefore he was possibly the only player on the day that could have won the game without any degree of service.

I'm sure you're right and with hindsight I would pick him myself, altough that was before he had his one great season with us. Quite honestly I would pick a bag of spuds upfront in preference to Lee Miller (grrr!) so I guess Lita should have started. The thing that always gets me about using Lita's absence as a stick to beat Wilson with is that it let's the likes of Tinnion off. Tinnion deserves a lot of criticism for his complete non-performance that day, but he's always pointed at Danny rather than hold his own hand up. He even got the job using the same line of cr*p and trading on his status as a 'legend'. (In reality a very good thrird division player, nothing else, and the fact that some look back and describe him as legend is only a mark of the very low standards we had at the time).

I'm sure you're right and with hindsight I would pick him myself, altough that was before he had his one great season with us. Quite honestly I would pick a bag of spuds upfront in preference to Lee Miller (grrr!) so I guess Lita should have started. The thing that always gets me about using Lita's absence as a stick to beat Wilson with is that it let's the likes of Tinnion off. Tinnion deserves a lot of criticism for his complete non-performance that day, but he's always pointed at Danny rather than hold his own hand up. He even got the job using the same line of cr*p and trading on his status as a 'legend'. (In reality a very good thrird division player, nothing else, and the fact that some look back and describe him as legend is only a mark of the very low standards we had at the time).

Fair enough and that's another argument. Whilst I don't agree that Tinnion was no more than a very good third division player, I must admit that I don't remember him slagging off Wilson. If true, that is highly unprofessional (even if most of the fans were of the same opinion). I don't think any player that took part that day could in all conscience apportion blame beyond themselves.

Indeed, and should have been before then given the money he spent. Of course he assured us that losing the final was not failure. Bear in mind also that his departure was in part a result of his refusal to accept that the budget had to be cut. Ultimately Gary Johnson put right the legacy of the Wilson era and won promotion on a relative shoestring, though of course to a certain hard core Wilson was a success and Johnson a failure.:closedeyes: Never let the facts get in the way I suppose.:innocent06:

Wilson is currently second in league 1, whereas Johnson is 22nd in league 2.

Wilson didn't have SL's money to spend.

The worst part of the day was walking out of Cardiff station on the way to find a boozer,and finding some cockney **** selling bloody horns for a couple of quid. Needless to say,any chance of our lot making

a noise inside was quashed by this entrepeneur and his associates. Watching City play badly would've been annoying anyway,but not a surprise,but this was the crowning turd on the pile.

I remember sitting on the green outside the Church round the corner from the stadium and drinking several Stella's before kick off. drunk2.gif

Got into the ground and must have sat with the day-trippers and none of the f*ckers sang the whole game and gave me and my mates filthy looks whenever we joined in.

As for the performance on the pitch...well i think i should've stayed outside and carried on drinking Stella.

The plus of the day was getting the train back to Bristol and getting chatting to some bird next to me, ended up back at her gaff and got myself a portion of 'haddock pasty' yahoo.gif

one of the worst days of my life - im from Brighton so you can imagine the shit i had to deal with when i got back. really hope we beat them on saturday otherwise i wont hear the end of it

I also live in Brighton, but was away in Holland for the final, also got a lot of shit from mates around here....

Archived