IGNORED

Guernsey Fc ..... Lansdown's New Toy?

headhunter

Did anyone notice that City sent a representative side to play Guernsey in a pre-season Friendly? The ad on their website for the game featured a pic of David James but it was an u19 academy side that played and got thumped 6-0. Their other pre-season game was against newly elected to Lge. AFC Wimbledon, they lost that 5-6!

So what you might ask. Well Guernsey FC was only formed THIS YEAR and they play in Combined Counties League 1 which is on Level 6 of the Football League's pyramid structure ..... by 2016 they could be in League 2 and we could be playing them in a Carling Cup tie.

How are they doing this season? Played 7 Won 6 Drawn 1 Lost 0 Goals For 26 Goals Against 3 ...... it would be true to say they are taking the league by storm.

They are a community club with a tidy little ground that can hold 5K. Check out the website: www.guernseyfc.com

So as a community club there is no Mr. Big as an owner but check out the sponsors and one is ODEY Wealth Management, one of the UK's largest hedge fund managers and you know how much dosh they make [probably more than Hargreaves Lansdown - more record profit just recorded].

Average home attendances so far this season are about 1500 [compared to around 200 when they play away!!].

Now for every away game they play [Cobham, Feltham for example] you cant just hop on a coach for a two hour drive.

This is where my conspiracy theory perhaps heads towards LaLa Land!

You see the thing is I think Landsdown might be backing them in some way i.e. fly them into the country for away games on his private jet [if not big enough perhaps the other half of the team on the Odey jet?]. He cant own the club, FL rules forbid a director to have an interest in more than one club, but who's to say he and others aren't on a mission to get Guernsey into the Football League.

Look at it another way, the oh so prudent [in many ways, but my god he's wasted money over the years sanctioning the signing of so many rubbish players] Mr. Lansdown can make himself a hero in the Channel Islands by getting them into the Football League for a lot less dosh than it would ever cost to get City into the Prem.

I can see it now in, say, 3 years time when Guernsey are 3 steps from the League that he will hire his old mate Gary Johnson to guide Guernsey into League 2 and they can all live happily together on the island!!!!

I intend to track Guernsey''s progress.

PS. Matt Le Tissier is Club President, his brother Mark is Director & Club Secretary.

So, a club forms on the island where our owner lives and suddenly it's Lansdown's new toy? Any proof that he's involved at all.

He's likely to be friends with the owner, they're in similar fields of business and clearly live close - that may be why we sent the academy team.

Don't jump to conclusions.

Silly me, I've got it all wrong.

In 6 years time we'll be in the Prem, qualified for Europa Cup and Guernsey will be our nursery side where we can give our youngsters and fringe players some competitive action in League 2.

I am so sorry!!!!

This is my 45th season of watching City and I have NEVER felt as disenchanted about the club & football in general as I do now.

Silly me, I've got it all wrong.

In 6 years time we'll be in the Prem, qualified for Europa Cup and Guernsey will be our nursery side where we can give our youngsters and fringe players some competitive action in League 2.

I am so sorry!!!!

This is my 45th season of watching City and I have NEVER felt as disenchanted about the club & football in general as I do now.

You and me alike, just no interest in City or football in general, why i bought a ST i dont know.

I heard Matt le Tiss talking about this, apparently Guernsey have to pay airfares and a night's accommodation for all visiting teams this season.

I'm sure he said they are being financed by a businessman, can't remember if he said his name, if he did it wasn't Lansdown.

Watchet Town went over there last season in the Somerset Senior Cup. The Guernsey Club / Chairman paid all travel and accommodation expenses for the Watchet squad, as they do for all visiting teams (part of the agreement when they joined the league). They have a VERY wealthy owner / backer but as far as I know it isnt SL.... There are alot of very wealthy people in Guernsey after all.

Watchet Town went over there last season in the Somerset Senior Cup. The Guernsey Club / Chairman paid all travel and accommodation expenses for the Watchet squad, as they do for all visiting teams (part of the agreement when they joined the league). They have a VERY wealthy owner / backer but as far as I know it isnt SL.... There are alot of very wealthy people in Guernsey after all.

Guernsey played in the somerset senior cup?

Other than watching SL isn't really involved a lot with Guernsey FC! The main source of funding is through sponsorship and they are backed by sportingbet, who have their head office in Guernsey, along with the islands government and other Companies!

Portsmouth were sponsoring the academy before they hit their financial problems and the academy was at risk of closing before City/SL got involved!

I am a City fan that was born in Guernsey and still go back there once a year. Lansdown's link is with the Guernsey FA (GFA). Guernsey FC operates completely separately to the GFA and they have their own moneyman ploughing the money in. Not to say Lansdown may not want to invest at a later date, but right now he is not involved at all.

Hope that clears it up!

Guernsey played in the somerset senior cup?

When it comes to Rugby, Jersey are in London South West but Jersey play as an independent nation in cricket.

As for the Somerset Cup though? The Scilly Isles teams play in the Cornish Cup, so Channel Island teams should be in the Dorset or Hants Cups.

Archived