IGNORED

Pitman & Taylor V Maynard & Stead, Tues Night ?

Dolman Block B

"He hasnt looked up for it?" Expand on this please

"Utterly anonymous vs Hull" - This has been done to death i feel on multiple threads, but in case you missed it are players not allowed an 'off day'?

What service did he have, people said that Stead was next to useless and stuff? What were the manager's instructions? What role for the team did he have? Was he chasing long balls or knockons or was he kept quiet and out of the game by opposition defenders? Was the malaise part of the whole team or just specific to Maynard?

As for Pitman coming on and being showing a better work rate. I should ruddy think so seeing as he hadnt been playing football for an hour before hand and was fresh. Going on from that did the teams style of play change on his and Taylors introduction. Was Taylor doing things that Stead was not and did Pitman benefit from this and so on.

Pitman scored 13 goals last year in 38 appearances and has 1 in 7 this time around

Maynard scored 6 in 13 last year and has 3 in 8 this time around.

Im not saying that Maynard is some kind of footballing god or that is infallable. What Iam saying is I find it completely incredulous to the point of insanity that people are considering dropping our most potent goal threat when we are in the mire over a variety of general non issues, plus one naff appearence in favour of someone else because they looked up for it in 20 mins of a match when we were chasing the game anyway.

But it isn't one naff appearance. He hasn't looked likely to score for some time. And as to this "he gets no service" argument, he had chances on Saturday but didn't seem to be able to trap the ball, his first touch was shocking and he just wasn't making the runs.

I know what he is capable of, but I think he needs to be rested, as much for encouragement as anything.

No-one should be untouchable in the team and that includes Nicky Maynard. No-one who was at Ashton Gate recently would have said he is a "potent goal threat" at the moment.

Stead and Maynard played too far apart. Stead was working the channels which is ok but Maynard was still isolated. That said he looked like he had concrete in his boots, and i would say that he probably wanted a move in the last window, his body language is poor.

Pitman and Taylor played close together and their movement was superb, Taylor won everything in the air and Pitman looks like he is going to score everytime he comes on. I would start with Pitman, stead and Taylor in a 4-4-3 which would mean dropping Albert but i think a rest would do him good and bring him and Maynard on if we need to chase the game in the last 30 mins.

Agree with Pitman starting but Arn, you have lost the plot me ol' mate if you would play Taylor over Maynard. Just because he bullied the centre backs? You could do that! What really needs to happen is Millen to fire a rocket up Maynard's proverbial and tell him in no uncertain terms that a lack of effort will not be tolerated.

Then Millen needs to have serious words with himself and sort the defence and midfield who, on Saturday, gave Maynard and Stead absolutely nothing apart from aimless long balls down the channels which ended up 70/30 balls (in Hulls favour). Now I can only assume that those tactics were KM's instructions to the players because if they weren't, he would have told them at half time to stop bloody doing it.

We have got the quality in the squad to play some football. Get the ball on the deck on Tuesday, play Pitman and Maynard up front together and lets play the game how it should be played.

Thats besides the point Stan. Maynard was a lazy @@@@ saturday and didnt give a damm. At least Taylor got stuck in. Thats my point

Thats besides the point Stan. Maynard was a lazy @@@@ saturday and didnt give a damm. At least Taylor got stuck in. Thats my point

As Whale eyed said the front two movement improve significantly after Taylor and Pitman came on. That said City did resort frequently to the long ball up to Taylor and it was a diagonal lump from just inside the half way line that led to Pitman's equaliser. It was Pitman's anticipation and clever movement that got him the goal and not Skuse's hopeful long ball. I doubt Maynard would have scored from that 'cross'.

I'd be very disappointed if Pitman doesn't start against Reading. He's earned a chance to show what he can do in 90 mins and imo he's as a good a finisher as Maynard, if not better. All he lacks is the pace that Maynard has. As for his strike partner. Tough call between Stead and Taylor.

Stead has the experience and know how whereas Taylor is raw and desperate to do well. Either way Pitman has to start. A spot on the bench would do Maynard good.

Stead and Maynard played too far apart. Stead was working the channels which is ok but Maynard was still isolated. That said he looked like he had concrete in his boots, and i would say that he probably wanted a move in the last window, his body language is poor.

Pitman and Taylor played close together and their movement was superb, Taylor won everything in the air and Pitman looks like he is going to score everytime he comes on. I would start with Pitman, stead and Taylor in a 4-4-3 which would mean dropping Albert but i think a rest would do him good and bring him and Maynard on if we need to chase the game in the last 30 mins.

I'm all for 4-4-3 :D

'Lies, damn lies, and statistics'. Pitman 22 starts last year, this year 2, the rest as sub. with many of these being played out of position. People use the bare figures in the same way to knock Clarkson's contribution. Maynard gets starts so his 'appearances' represent a great deal more time actually spent on the pitch.

Spot on. Pitman's goals to minutes ratio was significantly higher in his first season for us than Maynard's was in his.

As Whale eyed said the front two movement improve significantly after Taylor and Pitman came on. That said City did resort frequently to the long ball up to Taylor and it was a diagonal lump from just inside the half way line that led to Pitman's equaliser. It was Pitman's anticipation and clever movement that got him the goal and not Skuse's hopeful long ball. I doubt Maynard would have scored from that 'cross'.

I'd be very disappointed if Pitman doesn't start against Reading. He's earned a chance to show what he can do in 90 mins and imo he's as a good a finisher as Maynard, if not better. All he lacks is the pace that Maynard has. As for his strike partner. Tough call between Stead and Taylor.

Stead has the experience and know how whereas Taylor is raw and desperate to do well. Either way Pitman has to start. A spot on the bench would do Maynard good.

I pretty much agree with Robbo. I would lean toward Taylor starting for the reasons I put forwared earlier in this thread, just for good measure a bigger guy in our own box defending deadball situations may not be the worst thing we could ask for!

So he hasnt scored in 4, not exactly world ending is it seen as the team has only scored 6 in the league in total and Maynard has scored 3 of those

He is working with scraps and other than Adomah still manages to be our most potent goal threat

Checking the shots stats for example on the Football League website he is our most dangerous player in terms of potential for scoring. (Adomah has 1 extra game than Maynard, it is also indicative of of how little service he gets if a midfielder is having about the same opportunites to shoot, but why let that get in the way of the price of fish)

You can check stuff here if you want.

How is one poor game not looking up for 'the fight', and what is 'the fight' anyway?

As said on another thread is it impossible to play them both together?

I think they can play together, I just think Pitman would benefit more from Taylor or Stead.

It's not just the lack of goals - Its the overall lack of contribution. And you know exactly what I mean when I say up for the fight.

If you're not scoring as a centre forward then you should be working even harder for the team. It's plainly obvious that NM is not.

I don't doubt his ability - I suspect he will play tomorrow and he may well score. Its just my opinion that we have some quality forwards who now deserve their chance. Especially pitman.

Pitman and Taylor has to start and Maynard needs to be dropped completely to the reserves and shouldn't even have a place in the first team untill he can be reminded that he is in the first team to score goals and not just earn himself a Premier League deal which he is not going to get if he keeps playing the way he is he is not playing for the team and therefore should not be in the starting 11 or even on the bench imo Millen has to get ruthless with him and say either start showing some improvement or don't play at all but I can't see Millen doing this as like most he he is a 6 million pound player well if that is the case why aint he playing like one.

And as for Stead he is still not 100% fit and needs to start from the bench imo I think Stead could do with a few reserve games to gain match fitness again.

Pitman and Taylor has to start and Maynard needs to be dropped completely to the reserves and shouldn't even have a place in the first team untill he can be reminded that he is in the first team to score goals and not just earn himself a Premier League deal which he is not going to get if he keeps playing the way he is he is not playing for the team and therefore should not be in the starting 11 or even on the bench imo Millen has to get ruthless with him and say either start showing some improvement or don't play at all but I can't see Millen doing this as like most he he is a 6 million pound player well if that is the case why aint he playing like one.

And as for Stead he is still not 100% fit and needs to start from the bench imo I think Stead could do with a few reserve games to gain match fitness again.

Maynard didn't put the 6 million pound transfer figure on his head, in 9 months he will be worth 0 so he could be performing quite well for someone worth 0 :)

Joking aside, Millen alluded to the fact last week that Maynard has not trained for 9 out of 14 days. It would suggest to me he is not fully fit, which begs the question why is he being played? And even worse for most of those games playing upfront on his own running his guts out. That doesn't seem right to me, not for the club and not for the player. And I think that has to be a question that needs answering.

Also we have to remember Taylor and Pitman came on fresh against a tiring defence, they are bound to look good if they put the effort in. Will they look so good against a fresh defence? I doubt it, but they have to be given their chance at some point, so why not tomorrow. it could turn out to be a turning point!

That said, as i alluded to in a post in another thread, we should put Maynard on the transfer list, have him on the bench and play the players that we see having a future here. This deadline that Sexton spoke of has passed, that was sometime at the end of August, this suggests Maynard has no intention of signing, so the Contract offer should be withdrawn. Maynard is entiled to do what he wants, and I will only wish him the best.

Taylor and Pitman to start.

Their enthusiasm will rub off on the crowd, who will then get behind the team and urge them on to our first home win.....I can dream can't I???

Time to 'rest' Maynard, he couldn't trap a bag of cement on Saturday, this is doing neither him or us any good.

I might be tempted to go for Stead and Pitman, they seemed to forge a good partnership last season when we eventually hit a good patch.

Taylor has not really impressed me what-so-ever as of yet

Well sort of had a confidence swagger about himself. Said all 4 strikers are up for it, would carry on taking the penaltys if he is told to, get 3 points against Reading etc etc etc

Spence was interviewed before the hull game and wasnt even on the bench. Not necessarily an indication of whose going to start.

Archived