IGNORED

Pitman & Taylor V Maynard & Stead, Tues Night ?

Dolman Block B

Which striking partnership will the manager choose?

Has he got the balls to drop our 6 million pound man or will he leave the goalscorer of the the first home goal at Ashton Gate this season on the bench?

No brainer for me.

Maynard looks as though he couldnt give a toss saturday. When he was taken off, and most of the crowd agreed with the decision he actually smerked instead of being upset and ranting about a piss poor performance.

Stead has not been the same player since his operation last season, didnt win one header and was always off the pace.

Pitman livened the game right up, took his goal superbly and now deserves his chance.

Taylor done the job he was asked to do and bullied the two centre backs. More games could prove a very good buy.

I wouldnt hesitate in dropping Maynard, although he will probably pick up a injury on the training pitch Monday :whistle:

Just rest Stead until totally match fit. It could backfire and we play shit but they both need to start Tuesday night

Your thoughts?

Has he got the balls to drop our 6 million pound man or will he leave the goalscorer of the the first home goal at Ashton Gate this season on the bench?

No brainer for me.

Maynard looks as though he couldnt give a toss saturday. When he was taken off, and most of the crowd agreed with the decision he actually smerked instead of being upset and ranting about a piss poor performance.

Stead has not been the same player since his operation last season, didnt win one header and was always off the pace.

Pitman livened the game right up, took his goal superbly and now deserves his chance.

Taylor done the job he was asked to do and bullied the two centre backs. More games could prove a very good buy.

I wouldnt hesitate in dropping Maynard, although he will probably pick up a injury on the training pitch Monday :whistle:

Just rest Stead until totally match fit. It could backfire and we play shit but they both need to start Tuesday night

Your thoughts?

I,m surprised the question is even being asked , Pitman and Taylor must start looked livelier and more likely to score than any time since the season began..

Maynard and Stead on the bench.

Im actually asking what the manager will choose? Is KM strong enough to do that though?

KM is a dead man walking, he simply has no option other than to continue with Taylor and Pitmam..

What message would that send out to an already seriously unsettled /demotivated squad , play well and get dropped.

Even KM must be able to see that

Nothing against Pitman and Taylor because they both put in effort when they came on but it's always much easier to do that from the bench. It could've easily been the other way around and Maynard and Stead could've come on to do the running late on.

That said I it should be Maynard and Pitman for Reading. As long as we don't pump it forward too much again though..

You only had to see how much more movement we got out of Pits & Taylor in their time on the pitch to see how much space it feeded up for both wingers and gave the midfield something to pass too. Kilkenny put through 2-3 great passes onto runs from both and even Skuse's pass for the goal was a result of an intelligent run.

For me Maynard needs dropping as he's not scoring and not really trying. If he's not in the shop window every week he might just realise that he needs to do something to show that when he finally gets a chance to move that someone still wants him!

I still don't think Steady is 100% fit.

Got to be Taylor and Pitman after the way they finished the game - this decision would take some balls so I would say it's more likely he will pick Maynard and Pitman.

Sometimes in sport you need a good kick up the arse and it often ends in a positive outcome - I would suggest that Maynard could do with this right about now.

No brainer for me.

Your thoughts?

Its often difficult to judge from my seat up here in the not quite yet frozen north, however the most telling thing to me is that in your eyes Taylor bullied the centre backs.

Right now we are obviously low on confidence, the crowd is turning against the team and the manager, and we all need a little lift. In order for us to get our season going and (dare I say it!) keep the manager in a job we have to think outside (and insde, if you'll pardon the pun) the box a little and do somthing that will get people behind the team

At this time it is clear that we are unable to break down defences from open play, due to a lack of guile, creativity and knowhow...So with that all said and pretty much understood, judging by the millions of posts on the subject lets go the other way and intimidate and bully and just get a bit nasty all around...

We have players that can play but we lack the required aggression to give those players the time they require on the ball. As Shankly once said 'your job is to win the ball son and then give it to someone who can play'..

Look back over living memory when we had a good team we played with a big guy up front (with sometime differing level of skill)...Taylor would not have got 36 without Robbie Turner...We have had the like of Galley Cheesley and Big John who frightened the living crap out of defenders and were not that bad players either...

The fact is we tend to revert to long-ball football anyway when we are in trouble, so OK lets put a bloody bully up there to scare the living 5h1t out of the centre backs...No not pretty and perhaps many would say I wont watch that...I would say who cares..we need a win from somewhere we are not good enough to score goals with the way we play now so play to a strength and lets face it, we didnt buy Taylor to play Barcelona style football

For me we need a lift Bobby Reid should be around the starting 11 and Maynard dropped to the bench at a minimum...I would also be thinking about bringing Clarkson back to play behind a front two which he has massive amount of experience in doing

For me Taylor and Pitman is a no brainer after Saturday with Stead on the bench and really presurise the centre backs...It might not get us promoted but right now beggers can not be choosers and I'm much more concerned about being relegated!!!!

Personally would like to see Pitman and Stead together.

Played well with each other last season so why can they not play with each other now?

Maynard should be dropped because he couldn't give a **** and Taylor is still learning at this level but the impact he made yesterday was promising.

I respect what you say however he (Taylor) can make an impact as much in the first twenty minutes as the last...Yes Taylor is learning and as such needs games...We are physically weak everywhere so a little more strength is required from the outset IMO

Taylor and Pitman caused more problems in 30 mins that Stead and Maynard did in the previous hour and must be in serious contention for a start on Tuesday night. That said I would go with the more experienced Stead with Pitman and leave Maynard on the bench with Taylor.

Pitman in particular looked well up for it when he came on whereas Maynard was way off the pace. A kick up the arse would do him good.

Personally would like to see Pitman and Stead together.

Played well with each other last season so why can they not play with each other now?

Maynard should be dropped because he couldn't give a **** and Taylor is still learning at this level but the impact he made yesterday was promising.

I agree with this. I think that Taylor's contribution was fairly minimal yesterday. Taylor benefited from a great performance by Pitman who was MotM by a country mile.

Before the season started my favourite pairing was Pitman-Maynard. But this would rely on our coaching staff mentioning to Nyatanga that there's no point launching the ball 40 yards to them as it's just coming back. Unfortunately, we apparently don't have the coaching staff who can see this. Therefore Stead-Pitman with a chance that Stead will win one or two of the defenders hopeful punts.

I think, not like it matters that KM will probs go Maynard up top or Pitman and Maynard together

We have scored 6 goals this season Maynard has scored 3 or them Adomah, Kilkenny and Pitman have scored the others.

I guess players arent allowed to have an offday, and the vitriol for one penalty miss, a crap game ( usual reasons, done to death) and because others are blindsided about the contract issues, clearly this must mean he must never play for the club again

Despite all the hype around moving away from the GJ style of management, many calling him to be burned for not signing a contract and playing out of sorts (it happens to everyone at some point) suggests they still want to follow that self destructive line by getting rid of our most potent goal threat.

If he hadnt scored at all this season they people may have a point. But to drop our top scorer for spurious reasons is just madness

I think it's you who is blindsighted. He hasn't scored since Leicester away, he is underperforming (like most players) and he doesn't look up for the fight.

We happen to have quality in depth when it comes to our strikers with Pitman and Taylor looking sharp and chomping at the bit - they deserve a couple of games at least.

Those are the reasons he should be dropped, nothing to do with the bloody contract.

A break may even do him some good.

Precisely. Maynard simply hasn't looked interested. On Saturday, it was like we were playing with 10 men (Stead was lively but ineffectual. Marked out and lacking first touch).

To me Pitman and Taylor to start, but if it was Pitman and Stead I'd not be that unhappy (providing Taylor was on the bench ready to take over when Steady starts to flag). To play Maynard would be an insult to the other strikers - it would be rewarding failure. If Nicky wants his dream move to the PL he needs a bit of reflection on what he needs to do if he is to catch their collective eye.

Agree with Pitman starting but Arn, you have lost the plot me ol' mate if you would play Taylor over Maynard. Just because he bullied the centre backs? You could do that! What really needs to happen is Millen to fire a rocket up Maynard's proverbial and tell him in no uncertain terms that a lack of effort will not be tolerated.

Then Millen needs to have serious words with himself and sort the defence and midfield who, on Saturday, gave Maynard and Stead absolutely nothing apart from aimless long balls down the channels which ended up 70/30 balls (in Hulls favour). Now I can only assume that those tactics were KM's instructions to the players because if they weren't, he would have told them at half time to stop bloody doing it.

We have got the quality in the squad to play some football. Get the ball on the deck on Tuesday, play Pitman and Maynard up front together and lets play the game how it should be played.

How is one poor game not looking up for 'the fight', and what is 'the fight' anyway?

As said on another thread is it impossible to play them both together?

He hasn't looked up for it for a while and was utterly anonymous in the first hour against Hull. The difference in work rate that Pitman made when he came on was stupendous! And let's remember that Brett scored 13 last season and his goals kept us out the mire.

Pitman and Stead for me. Although I dont think that Stead is anywhere near 100% fit which has to be a worry as he had his operation over four months ago??? As for Taylor the Rotherham fans said that he would be well out of his depth when he signed for us and presently I tend to agree? Lots of effort but a long way from the finished article?

As for Maynard he clearly does not want to be here and looked to me like he spent most of Saturday sulking? Personally I would give him the "ultimate" kick up the backside and put him up in the Williams with the likes of Woolford, Stewart and Hunt. He has to learn that no one is bigger than the club itself - Me thinks that he is being fed very bad advice / info. from his "off field" representatives ie Personally he would have rather gone before the window closed but those advising him want him to stay so that they get more of a very fat cut of a large signing on fee at the end of the season????

"He hasnt looked up for it?" Expand on this please

"Utterly anonymous vs Hull" - This has been done to death i feel on multiple threads, but in case you missed it are players not allowed an 'off day'?

What service did he have, people said that Stead was next to useless and stuff? What were the manager's instructions? What role for the team did he have? Was he chasing long balls or knockons or was he kept quiet and out of the game by opposition defenders? Was the malaise part of the whole team or just specific to Maynard?

As for Pitman coming on and being showing a better work rate. I should ruddy think so seeing as he hadnt been playing football for an hour before hand and was fresh. Going on from that did the teams style of play change on his and Taylors introduction. Was Taylor doing things that Stead was not and did Pitman benefit from this and so on.

Pitman scored 13 goals last year in 38 appearances and has 1 in 7 this time around

Maynard scored 6 in 13 last year and has 3 in 8 this time around.

Im not saying that Maynard is some kind of footballing god or that is infallable. What Iam saying is I find it completely incredulous to the point of insanity that people are considering dropping our most potent goal threat when we are in the mire over a variety of general non issues, plus one naff appearence in favour of someone else because they looked up for it in 20 mins of a match when we were chasing the game anyway.

No one is prepared to give it a decent go, instead its nah Maynard should be dropped because he didnt look interested. Any expansions on that? well he isnt up for it? Up for what exactly.

The other thing that is baffling is as to why Pitman has to replace Maynard and why Maynard and Pitman cant start together. The big man, little man thing is surely a hangover from the GJ days and possibly before to extent its ingrained that we have to play two up front in this manner. Afaik Maynard and Pitman combined weil at the end of the season and with Stead looking out of sorts/unfit and Taylor not really doing a great deal, there is nothing to lose with at least trying it vs Reading and seeing what happens.

'Lies, damn lies, and statistics'. Pitman 22 starts last year, this year 2, the rest as sub. with many of these being played out of position. People use the bare figures in the same way to knock Clarkson's contribution. Maynard gets starts so his 'appearances' represent a great deal more time actually spent on the pitch.

Pitman and Stead for me. Although I dont think that Stead is anywhere near 100% fit which has to be a worry as he had his operation over four months ago??? As for Taylor the Rotherham fans said that he would be well out of his depth when he signed for us and presently I tend to agree? Lots of effort but a long way from the finished article?As for Maynard he clearly does not want to be here and looked to me like he spent most of Saturday sulking? Personally I would give him the "ultimate" kick up the backside and put him up in the Williams with the likes of Woolford, Stewart and Hunt. He has to learn that no one is bigger than the club itself - Me thinks that he is being fed very bad advice / info. from his "off field" representatives ie Personally he would have rather gone before the window closed but those advising him want him to stay so that they get more of a very fat cut of a large signing on fee at the end of the season????

He is under contract and the club didn't want to let him go. Although I expect him to go in January. If he leaves it until the end of the season, and picks himself up an injury... Who will want him then???

I would play Pitman and Maynard. If Pitman is working his a** off, I can see Nicky working hard with him... :fingerscrossed:

Archived