IGNORED

The New Manager

Rob k

of course this a danger, although I can't see it this time. For a start if we get relegated the financial implications are frightening and not in SL's script for the new stadium and if the appointment is 2nd class and we do manage to stay up the season tickets sales will plummet, as I said this next appointment will tell us all we need to know about the ambition of this club and the fans will carry on voting with their feet. I don't think the club can afford to get it wrong again.

Sorry mate, was being sarcastic, completely agree with what you put above, however I still wouldn't be surprised!!!

I think Steve Lansdown is due a good decision this time.

So far, over the last c. 10 years, we have had:

The extension to Danny Wilson's contract (oh dear)

Brian Tinnion's appointment (oops)

Gary Johnson poached from Yeovil (nice)

Procrastinating about GJ's removal (a friendship had blossomed twixt the two, apparently)

Steve Coppell's appointment (cripes!)

Can't be arsed to look for anyone else, give it to Keith (please don't)

And now... drum roll... :yawn:

I think Steve Lansdown is due a good decision this time.

So far, over the last c. 10 years, we have had:

The extension to Danny Wilson's contract (oh dear)

Brian Tinnion's appointment (oops)

Gary Johnson poached from Yeovil (nice)

Procrastinating about GJ's removal (a friendship had blossomed twixt the two, apparently)

Steve Coppell's appointment (cripes!)

Can't be arsed to look for anyone else, give it to Keith (please don't)

And now... drum roll... :yawn:

Bobby Gould.

yawn!

you really do believe everything the club tells us!

You NEVER come up with (realistic) players that we should sign, if you are going to give KM so much stick for not signing defenders, then tell us who YOU would have signed.

BCAGFC

Despite everyone wanting millen out finally will the new manager whoever he is get the full backing from the fans?

From what I can see and from what I talk about with my friends there is a real divide on who we think is best to manage us,

Some think Davis or jones and others can't stand the thought of either of them, some want Tisdale and others think that would be a step backwards!!

No one can agree on SOD and oneil is out of our range!!

Who ever comes needs the full backing of the supporters, no doubt the board have to get this right but it's a very difficult decision this time round.

For me I'm I'm coming round to the idea of a who's young and will being a fresh approach but am sure it will be jones who gets the job (once millens fired before some smart arse says it)

Whatever the appointment, there will always be some fans who don't agree.

I too am of the persuasion that we should try something new and different. I don't buy into all this opinion stating that we have to get someone in who has experience managing in the Championship. Yes,the likes of Billy Davies and Dave Jones have had a modicum of success at this level, but that doesn't guarantee them being a shoe-in for the job nor that they will be a success for us. There are plenty of examples of managers with no experience at this level being successful, it is not a pre-requisite that to be successful in this league you need to have managed in it before. I want us to be courageous and do something different.

Moyes was new to the job when he made his name at Preston. Mowbray hadn't managed in England before he had success with West Brom in this league. Owen Coyle had no management experience at this level before he took Burnley up. Others such as Eddie Howe, Nigel Clough, Dougie Freedman, Gus Poyet all had no experience at this level before being appointed by their respective clubs and they all seem to be doing fine. Lee Clark and Di Canio have been mentioned by some people as success stories, but again, they've no Championship experience at management level.

So I simply don't believe in the argument that we need someone who has experience at this level. I think this is clouding a lot of people's judgement and they only see Davies and Jones as the potential answer because of this reason alone.

Now, unless Lansdown/Sexstone (whoever is in charge of this decision!) have an amazing candidate in mind who is currently employed, whom they wish to approach, then they should absolutely never appoint someone like Jones or Davies without going through a proper application process. I do not want us to offer the job to either of these without first opening up to applications. See what comes in, there may be some surprising names out there who we didn't think would be interested (perhaps your likes of Hoddle, O'Neill, Curbishley etc might actually chuck their name into the hat). You never know, they may all think they've been out of work for long enough and might be up for the challenge. We should at least open up to applications just in case something like this crops up. I do not want us to employ Jones or Davies just on the basis that they've worked in this league before and they are available. That to me is not a proper selection process, but again would be a knee-jerk reaction. I want the next appointment to be carefully considered. It should be someone who will take hold and rebuild this club from top to bottom. Yes the immediate priority is to ensure our safety, but I think pretty much any of the names mentioned here in the last few weeks will be capable of that - reason being that I firmly believe most of the squad are good enough, but they're not being managed or motivated correctly.

Whoever the appointment is, I believe they'll have every chance of keeping us in this league, but under the current stewardship there is only one direction. So we need someone who will have enough nous about them to keep us up and then to begin the revolution of the club at the end of the season (with so many contracts up for renewal it will be a huge summer in 2012).

Someone like Jim McIntyre up at Dunfermline. He's very well respected up there, taking them back into the premier league and doing it with courage in his decisions, he's learnt from his mistakes, he's prepared to mix things about, he can make tactical changes during a match dependent on the circumstances (unlike our current incumbant!)

Alternatively, someone like Andreas Alm at AIK Stockholm. Rapidly building a name for himself and someone who a Swedish friend of mine firmly believes will manage in the Premier League.

These should be the sort of candidates we're looking at, people who are making a success of themselves at present and who are widely respected and tipped for future success. I really hope our net is being cast a whole lot wider than Jones & Davies. Please. Hopefully there are people in charge of our club who have a wider understanding or world football than just looking at the latest unemployed Championship managers. There is a whole world of widely respected and up and coming coaches/managers out there, I hope we have someone on our board looking into these alternatives.

Oh - and for those who think Keef is dull, please point me towards a Dave Jones interview that isn't monotone and lacking in charisma! The bloke is immensely dull.

Can somebody explain the hatred of Billy Davies to me please? I reckon he's just what we need TBH.

I accept he's a hateful Jock git who is perceived to moan for a past time but he did bloody well at Forest, Preston, Derby (in this league) etc and certainly seems to be a disciplinarian, which we surely need?

Wouldn't a 'marmite' character unite us again? Us against the world when everyone dislikes our Manager?

The Forest fans want him back which speaks volmes IMO.

bring it on TBH!

'BILLY D's CIDER ARMY!! :dunno:

I think that the board should go for someone young with some charisma about him! What has really changed about the club over the past few years is the backing, entertainment and togetherness which hasn't seemed to be there over the past couple of years! Firstly they need to get rid of the coaching staff and employ their own and build from there. The style of football we have been playing for the past 3 years have been extremely woeful and I feel this is the main reason the attendances have dropped. We need a manager who will win back the fans with entertaining Football City always used to play.

Posted Today, 07:02 AM

As long as we don't follow our recent history and promote somebody totally unqualified from within the club or somebody else who is unqualified by either experience or achievement or so hated at this club they will never have a chance of winning the fans over, why would'nt they get the full support of the fans.

Nobody left I fear.

Top Top post mate, agree with every single word !

Whatever the appointment, there will always be some fans who don't agree.

I too am of the persuasion that we should try something new and different. I don't buy into all this opinion stating that we have to get someone in who has experience managing in the Championship. Yes,the likes of Billy Davies and Dave Jones have had a modicum of success at this level, but that doesn't guarantee them being a shoe-in for the job nor that they will be a success for us. There are plenty of examples of managers with no experience at this level being successful, it is not a pre-requisite that to be successful in this league you need to have managed in it before. I want us to be courageous and do something different.

Moyes was new to the job when he made his name at Preston. Mowbray hadn't managed in England before he had success with West Brom in this league. Owen Coyle had no management experience at this level before he took Burnley up. Others such as Eddie Howe, Nigel Clough, Dougie Freedman, Gus Poyet all had no experience at this level before being appointed by their respective clubs and they all seem to be doing fine. Lee Clark and Di Canio have been mentioned by some people as success stories, but again, they've no Championship experience at management level.

So I simply don't believe in the argument that we need someone who has experience at this level. I think this is clouding a lot of people's judgement and they only see Davies and Jones as the potential answer because of this reason alone.

Now, unless Lansdown/Sexstone (whoever is in charge of this decision!) have an amazing candidate in mind who is currently employed, whom they wish to approach, then they should absolutely never appoint someone like Jones or Davies without going through a proper application process. I do not want us to offer the job to either of these without first opening up to applications. See what comes in, there may be some surprising names out there who we didn't think would be interested (perhaps your likes of Hoddle, O'Neill, Curbishley etc might actually chuck their name into the hat). You never know, they may all think they've been out of work for long enough and might be up for the challenge. We should at least open up to applications just in case something like this crops up. I do not want us to employ Jones or Davies just on the basis that they've worked in this league before and they are available. That to me is not a proper selection process, but again would be a knee-jerk reaction. I want the next appointment to be carefully considered. It should be someone who will take hold and rebuild this club from top to bottom. Yes the immediate priority is to ensure our safety, but I think pretty much any of the names mentioned here in the last few weeks will be capable of that - reason being that I firmly believe most of the squad are good enough, but they're not being managed or motivated correctly.

Whoever the appointment is, I believe they'll have every chance of keeping us in this league, but under the current stewardship there is only one direction. So we need someone who will have enough nous about them to keep us up and then to begin the revolution of the club at the end of the season (with so many contracts up for renewal it will be a huge summer in 2012).

Someone like Jim McIntyre up at Dunfermline. He's very well respected up there, taking them back into the premier league and doing it with courage in his decisions, he's learnt from his mistakes, he's prepared to mix things about, he can make tactical changes during a match dependent on the circumstances (unlike our current incumbant!)

Alternatively, someone like Andreas Alm at AIK Stockholm. Rapidly building a name for himself and someone who a Swedish friend of mine firmly believes will manage in the Premier League.

These should be the sort of candidates we're looking at, people who are making a success of themselves at present and who are widely respected and tipped for future success. I really hope our net is being cast a whole lot wider than Jones & Davies. Please. Hopefully there are people in charge of our club who have a wider understanding or world football than just looking at the latest unemployed Championship managers. There is a whole world of widely respected and up and coming coaches/managers out there, I hope we have someone on our board looking into these alternatives.

Oh - and for those who think Keef is dull, please point me towards a Dave Jones interview that isn't monotone and lacking in charisma! The bloke is immensely dull.

Archived