IGNORED

Assessing The Contenders

Red_Mat

Red Mat

Informed, well written and logical, I think you have probably reached the right conclusion in the OP.

I voted for Billy Davies in the otib poll because I think he has the passion and ambition which was so woefully lacking on the touchline during games under KM.

However, having read your post I now think Jones is our man.

Unless of course, Florist beckons with a better offer.

Absolutely cracking post. Really well reasoned, it considers all the options and pitfalls, and comes to the right conclusion, in my opinion.

He's got a history of building clubs up and obviously has success in getting to play-offs, if not ultimately promotion, so I think Dave Jones would be a great choice. :fingerscrossed:

Cheers for all the comments, chaps. Glad you all enjoyed it and came to similar conclusions!

I did consider Mark Robins, and I'd happily have him here, but dismissed him because I thought he was employed - I forgot he left Barnsley! However, he doesn't have a lot of experience at this level and that might count against him.

Derek McInnes I'm not convinced by. I would discount him because he has no experience at this level - there's a big gap between the Scottish Premier League and the Championship. However, there does seem to be a trend for trying to discover the next great young Scottish manager - everyone thinks they're getting the next Alex Ferguson when they employ Owen Coyle, Alan Irvine or Billy Davies. So maybe he's in with a chance simply because it's trendy...!

For what it's worth......it's not a question of trendiness.....he's a young tracksuit manager, who is building up a strong reputation for his coaching ability. He has been strongly talked up by a number of experienced managers has having the potential to go along way in the game, a move to England at this time would suit his career path, to me he is a very strong candidate.........and I believe that he will be interviewed. We will see.........but Owen Coyle made a similar move, and has done well. I just hope we don't go for an obvious journeyman manager from the Championship merry - go - round e.g.. Billy Davies, Dave Jones et al. Lets show some ambition and go for a young manager with great coaching and organisational skills.

For what it's worth......it's not a question of trendiness.....he's a young tracksuit manager, who is building up a strong reputation for his coaching ability. He has been strongly talked up by a number of experienced managers has having the potential to go along way in the game, a move to England at this time would suit his career path, to me he is a very strong candidate.........and I believe that he will be interviewed. We will see.........but Owen Coyle made a similar move, and has done well. I just hope we don't go for an obvious journeyman manager from the Championship merry - go - round e.g.. Billy Davies, Dave Jones et al. Lets show some ambition and go for a young manager with great coaching and organisational skills.

I agree. Much like the young managers in this country such as Paul Tisdale, Lee Clark and Karl Robsinson have all been talked up as young coaches, there does seem to be a 'trend', whether you like that word or not, for appointing young managers from north of the border.

Paul Lambert, Alex McLeish, Owen Coyle, Alan Irvine and even Billy Davies himself was only up there a few years ago.

But doing so is as much of a gamble as employing Keith Millen was - who was recognised as a good young coach. At least with Millen we knew what we were getting because he'd been here for a decade already.

I do like the idea of bringing a young coach with drive and ambition in, but my argument is that one of the overriding features the board will look for (not what I think they should look for - but what they will want), is someone with experience. I suspect they will play it reasonably cautiously rather than taking a big gamble on someone young, like McInnes, who won't have had any experience working with some of the bigger names we have.

If the club has given up on this season and are already building for life in League One, I can see a case for a more long term appointment such as McInnes or Tisdale.

However, I believe they see this season as saveable and are more likely to get a Jones or Davies character, someone more than capable of pushing on in this division.

Great post - the board have a big call. I've lost their plan - do they have one? Not for obtuse corporate type behaviour reasons but because why else are they there? To provide funds? Ok Steve thanks. But where's the plan - you should be shoving it down our throats along with the stadium stuff - now's the time to show your hand.

Well argued Red. Personally, however, I think it matters little if a manager has Championship experience and this season is far far from a lost cause.

I also question your remark on comparing McInnes with Millen. IMO they are miles apart in experience.

McInnes is no more a gamble than Jones or Davies but whatever is decided its a gamble, that is the nature of the game.

Well argued Red. Personally, however, I think it matters little if a manager has Championship experience and this season is far far from a lost cause.

I also question your remark on comparing McInnes with Millen. IMO they are miles apart in experience.

McInnes is no more a gamble than Jones or Davies but whatever is decided its a gamble, that is the nature of the game.

At The End Of The Day, everyone's a gamble aren't they? We all thought Steve Coppell would guarantee success, but he left us in it. Managers without experience of this division (Paul Lambert) can get teams up first time, whereas managers who have got teams into the Premier League before (Jones, Davies, Paul Jewell...) can fail over and over again.

I think what does set McInnes apart is experience at the helm. Four years of it, but Millen did have ten years experience of coaching and that counts for an awful lot. But personalities and abilities count for an awful lot, too, and we know very little about McInnes on this front...

Excellent original post, here's my 2p worth:

• Davies less likely to be liked by fans but might shake the team up. Jones a softer and better liked manager but the Cardiff connection a problem. Both he and Davies would cost lots in salary. Both failed to meet expectations of fans and board in last post, but here at City perhaps we're a little more realistic (I hope). Both used to working at this level but can they unearth bargains?
  • Robins a good shout but not sure he's the man to dig us out of a hole - inexperience counts against him; would be a popular choice with fans (which is important)
  • O'Driscoll's star has faded but still knows the division and can get a lot from little - but again, think a relegation battle would be beyond him
  • McInnes really interests me, but would he leave a safe berth in Perth?
  • Lower division fellas: no way Lee Clark's going to leave the 'udders, the others - possibly Tisdale, think he's a smart guy but again faces turning round a bigger club in trouble
  • Ex-players a la Keane et all can **** right off, don't want to know - Southgate wet, Keane a loon. Strachan would just bring a load of useless Jocks so no ta
  • Curbishley in the long grass, never a big fan anyway
  • David James, etc - Jesus, no, not now
  • MacLaren - fans wouldn't give him 5 minutes, he'd probably spend the whole time falling over like when he played at AG

Looking at the above, I'd not be at all surprised if the Board didn't surprise us - McInnes fancied at the moment - do we have any contact with the St J's fans?? I'd rather a fresh start than some of the usual suspects - although if it is an established manager, I'd go for Jones. But my gut feel is we'll appoint someone more left field...or Moyes will jack it at Everton and come back home :worship2: :worship2: :worship2: :worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

As others have said Mat, a very good post.

Just one comment about the three younger men you grouped together, Clark, Robinson and Tisdale.

I would put Lee Clark ahead of the other two, because he was a top player himself. While that is no guarantee of success, I believe he would be more experienced with dealing with some of the big egos around our place, and more likely to put them straight.

Top players often become frustrated with lower level players, because they do not match the skill level. I do believe Lee would breach that gap, as he appears to have done at his current club.

Whether he would want our job is anothe thing of course. Huddersfield are as big a club as us, and I think this season may be the one he gets promotion.

Not sure if this is true but Dave Jones doesnt come cheap. Apparently he was on 20k a week at Cardiff which is a lot if money for a manager!

Source is an unnamed Cardiff fan with connections to the board.

I don't know if this is true but if it is it could well put us off.

I'm interested in McInnes, think he could a excellent job for us.

As previously mentioned, an excellent post Red Mat.

I can see the benefits in employing Jones or Davies, both proven at this level with proven previous success.

McInnes intrigues me as he has taken St Johnstone to 4th in the SPL on a very limited budget, small crowds yet plays entertaining football (according to various forums) but no Championship experience. I suppose it could be argued that he finished the job started by Owen Coyle but he is certainly highly regarded by supporters of St J (once again, judging by their forum).

My only concern with McInnes is how long we would keep him. Would he do a 'Coyle' and leave for a bigger club as soon as they came calling?

While Curbishley, O'Neill and McClaren are certainly appointments that would be widely welcomed, I believe our financial situation wouldn't be particularly attractive to them.

I agree with the OP, Jones and Davies seem to fit the profile of what we are after yet McInnes would be an intriguing yet very brave appointment.

Glad I don't have to make the call TBH.

• Admin

My only concern with McInnes is how long we would keep him. Would he do a 'Coyle' and leave for a bigger club as soon as they came calling?

I would much rather employ a manager who does such a good job that he gets poached by a bigger club than one who we get to keep out of mediocrity.

Ok they may leave before the job is finished but I imagine by then better candidates would be available to us than when sitting 24th in the Championship, especially if Ashton Vale is completed, or on the verge of being completed by then.

As previously mentioned, an excellent post Red Mat.

I can see the benefits in employing Jones or Davies, both proven at this level with proven previous success.

McInnes intrigues me as he has taken St Johnstone to 4th in the SPL on a very limited budget, small crowds yet plays entertaining football (according to various forums) but no Championship experience. I suppose it could be argued that he finished the job started by Owen Coyle but he is certainly highly regarded by supporters of St J (once again, judging by their forum).

While Curbishley, O'Neill and McClaren are certainly appointments that would be widely welcomed, I believe our financial situation wouldn't be particularly attractive to them.

I agree with the OP, Jones and Davies seem to fit the profile of what we are after yet McInnes would be an intriguing yet very brave appointment.

Glad I don't have to make the call TBH.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, here. There is no outstanding or overwhelmingly popular candidate on this occasion.

On other occasions, there have always been names that stood out - Coppell and Johnson in particular, both came to the fore and were widely welcomed. But this time around there does seem to a large selection of names who are currently out of work that could do a decent job, and a reasonable amount of young, up-and-coming managers who are being linked with us.

And the difficulty in making this decision is compounded by our league position.

Coming in and taking on a club when it has finished high or even midtable, is one thing. Turning around a team who are bottom of the table is incredibly difficult, especially when there seems to be a lot of conflict and personal issues within the playing squad. That is the sort of job which takes a special type of character.

I'm not for one minute suggesting he gets the job, but Roy Keane did exactly that when he took over at Sunderland - he even got them promoted. Perhaps we need someone with that kind of charisma now?

Archived