IGNORED

Mark Robins

ProjectMayhem

I really dont want to see him appointed

He doesnt seem to have a well liked style of play, most Barnsley fans on here and twitter dont seem to rate it. Granted he got them out of a similar position to us but it doesnt fill me with confidence

What players did Robins bring into Barnsley?

Ideal for us.

Meaning cheap?

I liked my dad's comment the other day "Same old story it'll be now. We'll hear names bandied around from Alex Ferguson to Mourinho and then when all's said and done we'll end up with a cheap, unimpressive bloke like Bobby Gould or John Ward"

Why are we a club that always does things on the cheap???

Other clubs have ambition - we never seem to.

Noises from the odds thread seem to be suggesting the job is his however he is the appointment I'd be least impressed with.

Seems he did a decent job at Rotherham and then kept Barnsley up, just feel that all the other main candidates have more about them.

The worst of all the candidates in my opinion. And I mean ALL of them

Agreed, when we have been struggling over the last 2 seasons i have always looked at his team Barnsley as 3 points in the bag.....i think it was 5-2 to us and we were playing terrible at the time in a bad run, so NO thanks to Mr Robins for me. :fingerscrossed:

Point One...CHEAP

Point 2.....NO TIES

Point 3...WILL WORK WITH CURRENT BACKROOM STAFF

Point 4....ALWAYS HAD AN AFFECTION FOR BRISTOL CITY

And on another forum I read, he knows our squad very well and knows exactly what he's going to do?

Meaning cheap?

I liked my dad's comment the other day "Same old story it'll be now. We'll hear names bandied around from Alex Ferguson to Mourinho and then when all's said and done we'll end up with a cheap, unimpressive bloke like Bobby Gould or John Ward"

Of course we have ambition. We almost made the Prem under GJ and then got Coppell in which was very ambitious. It cost us.

I think a reality check is needed for some. We are in a bad situation with no money to spend. In light of that, Robins would be a good choice.

Not saying Robins will be a bad appointment as time will tell, but I don't think the appointment is going to put bums on seats.

I think the board have had to have a reality check. Talking about having so much ambition and then probably talking to the likes of Dave Jones and realising that perhaps we can't actually afford or want to spend that much to actually acheive it.

I'm less then convinced of his ability at this level

He had a very decent team at barnsley. A team he built - because they were bottom when he took over - he took over from simon davey who left them with a poor team

Meaning cheap?

But John Ward was a good appointment. He got us promoted, and hadn't been given enough time in the Championship before the Benny incident.

Whatever we all think of Robins against the alternatives, if Robins really wants the job and the others don't, then that has to be a good thing.

To some, he might be a cheap option. But, another way of looking at it is that we would have to throw money at the others to make them interested in a job that they don't really want.

I'd be delighted if McInnes came here. But he's got to want to do it.

Of course we have ambition. We almost made the Prem under GJ and then got Coppell in which was very ambitious. It cost us.

I think a reality check is needed for some. We are in a bad situation with no money to spend. In light of that, Robins would be a good choice.

I agree with this, as much I my number one choice is Mcinnes as my first choice we have to be realistic with our manager choice and Robins didn't do a bad job with Barnsely but also didn't do anything special either. I'd be happy with Robins but very excited if we get mcinnnes.

Either way whoever gets the job will have to be someone who knows how to build a good team seeing as have so many out fo contract this summer. so therefor also think whatever we finish this season even if we ger relegated (too early to say) I would of thought the board would keep him to overhaul the squad and start all over again.

Agree apart from the last sentence.

Talk of O'Neil is crazy, Moyes sheer lunacy. Even Jones or Davies don't interest me as I'd like to see a more modest/fledgling name who can both stabilise us and then push on.

I don't have inside knowledge or sources so for all I know O'Driscoll, McInnes, Zola, Tisdale, even McLaren, all of which I'd much rather see appointed, may not be interested/suitable for whatever reason. But the appointment of Robbins screams mediocrity to me. Id love to be proved wrong, delighted to see him come in and push us up the table while playing decent stuff, but his appointment seems more about survival than it does progression and that kind of mindset bothers me.

Ill def feel sorry for Millen if we appoint Robins, dont get me wrong i thought millys time was up and needed to go. However but your self in Millys shoes for a sec get sacked and get replaced by Jones, Davies or Oneil he's gotta think to himself "fairplay to the club" but to get replaced by another apprentice manager that imo is not going to put more bums on seats or get us to where we wanna be surely he will feel he been shit on from a great height.

Ill def feel sorry for Millen if we appoint Robins, dont get me wrong i thought millys time was up and needed to go. However but your self in Millys shoes for a sec get sacked and get replaced by Jones, Davies or Oneil he's gotta think to himself "fairplay to the club" but to get replaced by another apprentice manager that imo is not going to put more bums on seats or get us to where we wanna be surely he will feel he been shit on from a great height.

How is he and apprentice manager?

If he takes over, this will be his 3rd job. And he has done well in both previous jobs.

How is he and apprentice manager?

If he takes over, this will be his 3rd job. And he has done well in both previous jobs.

Riaz granted at Rotherham i think he did well, albeit at a lower level than we are at, but Barnsley mate i seriously wouldnt describe it as doing well?? Not really much difference too Milly last season??

Riaz granted at Rotherham i think he did well, albeit at a lower level than we are at, but Barnsley mate i seriously wouldnt describe it as doing well?? Not really much difference too Milly last season??

Millen already had a good squad. Just started badly - he has since made us worse

He also knew the club already.

Robins was totally new to Barnsley and didnt know their squad.

Define, well at Barnsley. An 18th and 17th, A win ratio on a par with Millen?

As ive said in another thread if we had been relegated then because of what he did with Rotherham I could see why he had been appointed if that was the case. With 3/4's of the season to go in this league and things far from being cut and dried, it makes no sense to do so.

I'm pretty sure that Robins didnt spend nearly 2 million quid? and he wasnt there long at all.

Cant believe people are even comparing robins with millen :facepalm:

Archived