IGNORED

Ftao The Board - Clear Message...

PFree

If you think this has been a truly awful period, you clearly weren't around in 1982. Now, THAT was awful.

And as for managers with experience, contacts etc, didn't all of that apply to Coppell?

You're right, I started following soon after that and have been a season ticket for most of that period since.

I do however know that in all the time I have been following City, the most recent period represents the time when I've least wanted to go and watch City - it really has been dreadful football, with no passion, desire or organisation - we need that spark back hence I'd like somebody with a strong record and name to start to try and cure our ill club?

You're right, I started following soon after that and have been a season ticket for most of that period since.

I do however know that in all the time I have been following City, the most recent period represents the time when I've least wanted to go and watch City - it really has been dreadful football, with no passion, desire or organisation - we need that spark back hence I'd like somebody with a strong record and name to start to try and cure our ill club?

2 points;

1) this is our highest sustained period of success (Second division football) since '82. We haven't been this successful for years.

2)"I'd like someone with a strong record and name" Why do you want a "name"? It's baffling. We need the best man for the job and right now when you consider everything this club is going through in terms of playing squad, Stadium, reduced budgets and increasing debts a "name" manager makes no sense what-so-ever. We need someone on their way up who will see the frailties in our squad and take advantage of the abundance of players who will be leaving us in the summer. We do not need a Mclaren, Jones or Davies who will want to spend money we don't have straight away in a panic to paper over the cracks.

I really don't understand how so many people don't realise how small a club we are (Look at our pathetic attendances and our position in the table) and how much we are losing each year. We don't have the money to make the big heave and gamble that so many 'greedy' fans would like. No patience or understanding here. BCFC fans in "Jam today" mentality shocker...

2 points;

1) this is our highest sustained period of success (Second division football) since '82. We haven't been this successful for years.

2)"I'd like someone with a strong record and name" Why do you want a "name"? It's baffling. We need the best man for the job and right now when you consider everything this club is going through in terms of playing squad, Stadium, reduced budgets and increasing debts a "name" manager makes no sense what-so-ever. We need someone on their way up who will see the frailties in our squad and take advantage of the abundance of players who will be leaving us in the summer. We do not need a Mclaren, Jones or Davies who will want to spend money we don't have straight away in a panic to paper over the cracks.

I really don't understand how so many people don't realise how small a club we are (Look at our pathetic attendances and our position in the table) and how much we are losing each year. We don't have the money to make the big heave and gamble that so many 'greedy' fans would like. No patience or understanding here. BCFC fans in "Jam today" mentality shocker...

Largely down to an(other) atrocious managerial appointment.

Fans don't expect promotion or the play offs but one thing we do expect is the board/panel/SL to make up for an abysmal appointment in KM with a strong appointment now.

The candidates are clearly available - the man chosen may or may not be 'a name' but it must be someone who is capable of reigniting excitement and interest for the wider BCFC public.

Some of us have been 'patient and understanding' for 40 years plus Jordan......whistle.gif

2 points;

Lansdown identified the need for a name manager when he appointed Coppout. That rationale still exists.

Recent managers have been pants, Johnson was the only one to buck the trend, but ran out of ideas or should that be handgrenades?

I have nothing against Mark Robins per-say but Dave Jones knows a lot about us being parked over in Bardiff for so long.

He will be back in work with someone by Xmas and then we will all be saying Damm, missed opportunity again.

Managers of his calibre don`t become available every day. I know plenty of Cardiff fans and I`ve never heard them slag him off.

I understand your point about about being a small club in the sense you portray it, however sport is about aspiration not balance sheets.Hence other posters correctly pointing out that a negative signal will be sent out to the fans if we take the cheap Robins way out.

Speculate to accumulate should be the thought process adopted now by the board not retrenchment on the altar of financial expediency.

CTID.

Lansdown identified the need for a name manager when he appointed Coppout. That rationale still exists.

Things change - the Stadium has stalled, and it's possible it may no be built (who knows?)

SL has also lost £160M on his HL equity due to the financial crisis

He's still got plenty, but he's cautious - and the people claiming he's not going to invest as much as in the past

until he can see the stadium definately going ahead together with the commercial development on the site , are about right in my view.

He wants to keep it tight and see which way things go.

All the signs from AG confirm the free spending days (like £2M Maynard £1M Trundle) are over for now. Coppell might have been a name but he cost us plenty

in poor signings with big wages.

SL is looking at Swansea for a model now as they went up with a wage bill 50% of BCFC.

CR

Things change - the Stadium has stalled, and it's possible it may no be built (who knows?)

SL has also lost £160M on his HL equity due to the financial crisis

He's still got plenty, but he's cautious - and the people claiming he's not going to invest as much as in the past

until he can see the stadium definately going ahead together with the commercial development on the site , are about right in my view.

He wants to keep it tight and see which way things go.

All the signs from AG confirm the free spending days (like £2M Maynard £1M Trundle) are over for now. Coppell might have been a name but he cost us plenty

in poor signings with big wages.

SL is looking at Swansea for a model now as they went up with a wage bill 50% of BCFC.

CR

I think we all know what your stating is correct, although I don`t share your pessimism about the stadium (for another thread methinks), however with the possible exception of Leicester most championship clubs are feeling the pinch.

I would imagine Jones would be well aware of all the above and as he is unlikely to land a Premier League job he would still deem us to be a good opportunity.

Jones worked with pretty thin budgets at Bardiff so I don`t see that being a problem either.

From a CV perspective Jones appears to me to be the obvious choice, if you look at our recent appointments we havn`t selected managers with a pedigree at championship level.To me this seems like an opportunity we should seize and we don`t have to give managers stupid length contracts.

There appears to be an assumption that DJ would cost more than the others???We don`t know that.

Alex; I havn`t visited any Cardiff websites however I am sure they are no different from ours in slagging-off ex-managers.....

CTID

I think we all know what your stating is correct, although I don`t share your pessimism about the stadium (for another thread methinks), however with the possible exception of Leicester most championship clubs are feeling the pinch.

I would imagine Jones would be well aware of all the above and as he is unlikely to land a Premier League job he would still deem us to be a good opportunity.

Jones worked with pretty thin budgets at Bardiff so I don`t see that being a problem either.

From a CV perspective Jones appears to me to be the obvious choice, if you look at our recent appointments we havn`t selected managers with a pedigree at championship level.To me this seems like an opportunity we should seize and we don`t have to give managers stupid length contracts.

There appears to be an assumption that DJ would cost more than the others???We don`t know that.

Alex; I havn`t visited any Cardiff websites however I am sure they are no different from ours in slagging-off ex-managers.....

CTID

Despite following Bristol City for approaching 20 years and being a season ticket holder for most of those, I live in Wales, I am Welsh and I work with many Baadiff on a daily basis - their relationship with DJ wasn't that different to ours during the heights of Gary Johnson's reign, he was highly liked, valued and respected and they achieved a lot together.

In six seasons, they should have gone up twice and made the FA Cup Final but the inability to get to the promised land played hard on DJ as the players choked on several key occasions. The fans respect DJ highly and make it clear that his football was a pleasure to watch with a strong emphasis on attacking, entertaining football.

After hearing all they had to say over many examples of banter and discussion, I must admit that as soon as KM left, I hoped after all that I had heard, that DJ would be appointed - I still live in hope!

2 points;

Despite being one of the original posters to complain about constant unrealised promises of "jam tomorrow" I have to say I agree with you Jordan...to an extent.

I don't much care who is appointed so long as alongside the announcement of their appointment is a clear articulation of why they are the man for the job. The Board needs to be able to say "this is where we are heading as a club and hence this is the man for the job". If they can do that we can have few complaints.

What won't wash is an appointment which no one can understand.

To Nogbad's point on patience...amen! For me it's been an entire adult lifetime of constant promises of something better!

Despite following Bristol City for approaching 20 years and being a season ticket holder for most of those, I live in Wales, I am Welsh and I work with many Baadiff on a daily basis - their relationship with DJ wasn't that different to ours during the heights of Gary Johnson's reign, he was highly liked, valued and respected and they achieved a lot together.

In six seasons, they should have gone up twice and made the FA Cup Final but the inability to get to the promised land played hard on DJ as the players choked on several key occasions. The fans respect DJ highly and make it clear that his football was a pleasure to watch with a strong emphasis on attacking, entertaining football.

After hearing all they had to say over many examples of banter and discussion, I must admit that as soon as KM left, I hoped after all that I had heard, that DJ would be appointed - I still live in hope!

Clearly Davies has not applied shame,dave jones is the man.

I sure the board and SL are aware of that.

Let's hope they make him our manager tomorrow.

The Board will choose who they think is the best candidate, not who a few keyboard warriors on OTIB want. You will have to live with it. The best thing you could do is give the manager your support, whoever they are.

You are not speaking for me, or for several other City fans I know, if you think Robins is unacceptable.

The Board will choose who they think is the best candidate, not who a few keyboard warriors on OTIB want. You will have to live with it. The best thing you could do is give the manager your support, whoever they are.

You are not speaking for me, or for several other City fans I know, if you think Robins is unacceptable.

This, Sad that someone would trawl about to bump some negativity to the top of the page....

The message in thread is vital, most on here DO NOT WANT ROBINS...

This has nothing at all to do with the manager getting our support as 99% of all City fans will support who ever the board brings in

Its important or vital i would say that we stop the rot of manager after manager being appointed, this next appointment has to be for the long haul.

The post is far from negative,infact its a very positive post,and one that shows how most City fans want what is best for this club,and that we have a golden chance to stop the negativity that breeds through poor managerial decsions RIGHT NOW

I haven't heard any coherent argument against Robins from any of these posters.

"He isn't a 'name'." What is the point of that? David Moyes wasn't a 'name' when Everton appointed him. I presume he'd do?

"He's too nice". Again, what does this mean? Just because he doesn't act like an arrogant ***** when meeting fans doesn't mean he can't deliver a rollicking in the changing room.

"He isn't the man to take us forward". He achieved great things at the clubs he managed on a budget of £3.50 and a bag of mints. Rotherham would've been promoted had it not been for a points deduction. Here, with more cash, he might achieve even more.

"He's the cheap option". Because we don't have to pay compo for him, doesn't make him the wrong choice. That's no sort of argument at all!

"I don't like his personality" You don't KNOW his personality. Or that of Dave Jones come to that.

"He's Millen mk2" Millen was taking us down, Robins record is keeping teams up. Unlike most of the other candidates he has never had a club relegated under him.

"The board have a track record for choosing the wrong man". This board hasn't made any appointments yet. And anyway, how is that an argument? They're damned whatever they do.

Add to that his extensive contacts, knack for bringing in good loan players and pleasing surname and I think we have a candidate at least worthy of respect.

If any members of the board are reading this thread please note that not all of us are bleating sheep repeating moronic slogans. No-one I know who goes to watch City (and we're all ST holders) would mind Robins IF he is the choice.

I note Robins has 10 votes out of 359 city fans who voted in the pinned poll at the top.

Says it all really

Does it? To me it just proves that people's opinions can be easily swayed by ill-informed campaigns.

If someone can give me a definitive reason why Mark Robins CAN'T be a success at Bristol City I'll stop posting on these repetitive threads.

Does it? To me it just proves that people's opinions can be easily swayed by ill-informed campaigns.

If someone can give me a definitive reason why Mark Robins CAN'T be a success at Bristol City I'll stop posting on these repetitive threads.

Robins may well prove to be a success at City very true

Keith Millen may well turn out to be a good manager in the future also

As far as i can see the slate is clean right now,and we have a choice of a lot of potential managers, now if we play the percentage game Mark Robins would not be very high on the list, so why appoint him?

If you think this has been a truly awful period, you clearly weren't around in 1982. Now, THAT was awful.

And as for managers with experience, contacts etc, didn't all of that apply to Coppell?

At last, I beginning to think it was only me who was of that opinion. :clapping:

Robins may well prove to be a success at City very true

Keith Millen may well turn out to be a good manager in the future also

As far as i can see the slate is clean right now,and we have a choice of a lot of potential managers, now if we play the percentage game Mark Robins would not be very high on the list, so why appoint him?

Because he's come to other clubs at the bottom of the table and kept them up and - in the case of Rotherham - would have got them promoted.

That's where we are. Bottom of the table.

Robins didn't spend big to achieve what he did, he did it through tactical know-how, a few telling loans and getting the players motivated. Which is exactly what we need now.

Because he's come to other clubs at the bottom of the table and kept them up and - in the case of Rotherham - would have got them promoted.

That's where we are. Bottom of the table.

Robins didn't spend big to achieve what he did, he did it through tactical know-how, a few telling loans and getting the players motivated. Which is exactly what we need now.

I see you point RR and would not diss you,but i do see a big difference in Rotherham and more to the point the respective leagues we play in.

If Robins gets the job he has my support,all im saying is at this time when we have an open field,i feel we could do better

Archived