IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Mr Gow

With the right service he will score plenty of goals, trouble is we don't play to his strengths.Maynard likes to play on the shoulder of the last man and needs balls threaded through between the centre half's and full backs. We ask him to play with his back to goal to much and it's wasting talent. Imo he needs to play off someone. Yesterday it was 4-3-3 and he was isolated at times.

What a load of shit.

So, the game before Nicky came back last year, we were 4 pointsoff the relegation zone having taken 4 points from the previous 21 NOT HAVING SCORED IN 6 OUT OF THOSE 7 GAMES, we were in serious trouble

Nicky returned from injury and scored regularly and we went on to win 6 out of our next 7 scoring 14 in the process to pull comfortably clear of the drop zone

This is not speculation, its fact - you join the dots together

Its true that Nicky does tend to score in spurts but those goals usually win us the game and have pulle dus clear every year since he got here...

But as was said, some people have short memories

What a load of shit.

No, that's what we were last season, (and this season to date), then this 'poor championship' striker came back from a serious injury and scored what, five in six, and we won most of those games which kept us up when I, and many more were looking behind us in great worry.

Those goals kept us up.

It's no coincidence that Millen/City couldn't shift any players in the summer, let alone for the money that was offered for Maynard.

I stand by my statement.

I spoke to Nicky on Friday outside the ticket office, and I asked him, why he hasn't signed the contract, is it not good enough. He told me with the club, the way it is, it does not match his ambitions, and will wait until the end of the year, and see what happens. This to me, says he is not going to sign, so I would drop him and play Pitman and Stead, as they are obviousley our future, I'm pretty sure Nicky Maynard is not.

I don't blame him for not signing his contract, being as how nobody knows which league we will be in next season, but the club may be in a better position to 'match his ambitions' if he actually pulled his finger out of his arse.

I've had a belly full of Maynard now. I wish he would just go.

I would agree if we are to persist with the pitiful 'one up front' style.

41 goals in 106 games (wiki) would suggest he has maybe more tricks than you suggest.

Maybe Maynard and Stead would also be 'dangerous at times'.

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread, kneejerk and spiteful, it seems it's Maynards turn on the 'fans' forum.

The man kept us up single handed last season, but memories are short on here.

As stated earlier, 41 goals in 106 games with service that wouldn't be out of place in Fawlty Towers from a 'poor championship' striker.

Good luck Nicky Maynard, let's hope we see your best form again soon.

Are you seriously suggesting we drop Pitman? I mean really is that what you are trying to say?!

Not sure how my comments are 'kneejerk or spiteful' either. He has played 11 games this season, in how many has he been poor? So nope, not kneejerk. As for spiteful, I can't even begin to guess at what I've said that could poissibly be considered spiteful.

As for single handedly keeping us up. I don't even think you can genuinely believe that.

For what it is worth, I don't blame Maynard in the slightest for what has happened contract wise, and he is doing nothing wrong in that regard.

no lack of commitment going forwards, but his confidence is totally shot. Personally I'd start Pitman and Taylor..Bring on Maynard 2nd half sub...

Stead really is a one trick pony...

Course some true beleivers would disagree but IMHO thats the way forward for us. Maynard will find his shooting boots, but in the mean time, start the top two...we'll have to at some stage anyway

So, the game before Nicky came back last year, we were 4 pointsoff the relegation zone having taken 4 points from the previous 21 NOT HAVING SCORED IN 6 OUT OF THOSE 7 GAMES, we were in serious trouble

Nicky returned from injury and scored regularly and we went on to win 6 out of our next 7 scoring 14 in the process to pull comfortably clear of the drop zone

This is not speculation, its fact - you join the dots together

Its true that Nicky does tend to score in spurts but those goals usually win us the game and have pulle dus clear every year since he got here...

But as was said, some people have short memories

No, that's what we were last season, (and this season to date), then this 'poor championship' striker came back from a serious injury and scored what, five in six, and we won most of those games which kept us up when I, and many more were looking behind us in great worry.

Those goals kept us up.

It's no coincidence that Millen/City couldn't shift any players in the summer, let alone for the money that was offered for Maynard.

I stand by my statement.

I don't think he's a poor striker. He's an exceptional finisher whose all round game is overrated. When he doesn't score he is a bit pointless whereas someone like Pitman can contribute more than just goals. Maynard returning of course gave us a boost and he looked very sharp when he came back from injury. However he was not the reason we stayed up. Our good form had started before that with the exceptional win at Deepdale where Clarkson excelled. We also finished the season strongly with Stead and Pitman up top following Maynard's three game ban. We didn't win in 4 games leading up to the ban either in which Maynard started all of them. These are also facts.

Yes Maynard's return helped us last season but his goals did not single-handedly keep us up. To say so is hugely disrespectful to Pitman, Stead, Adomah and Caulker in particular and just isn't true.

Well lets see what happens when the new appointment is announced (espcially if its O'Neill)....

Oh, he might very well be 'up for it' then.

Personally I would rather stick with Pitman whose attitude and commitment have been beyond question, even when played on the left ****ing wing!

Are you seriously suggesting we drop Pitman? I mean really is that what you are trying to say?!

Not sure how my comments are 'kneejerk or spiteful' either. He has played 11 games this season, in how many has he been poor? So nope, not kneejerk. As for spiteful, I can't even begin to guess at what I've said that could poissibly be considered spiteful.

As for single handedly keeping us up. I don't even think you can genuinely believe that.

For what it is worth, I don't blame Maynard in the slightest for what has happened contract wise, and he is doing nothing wrong in that regard.

I quoted you for your comment on Stead and Pitman, I didn't think that at all spiteful and I'm not suggesting anyone should be dropped, just suggesting Maynard would be better employed if paired with Stead (or Pitman) and faced the goal rather than having his back to goal with the majority of balls either at or above the shoulder area. As Pitman, or any other striker of their ilk would.

Yes, Maynard's been poor, in most of the games I've seen (home only), but who hasn't, we're not bottom for nothing. Just turn him round, give him some service and he will score goals.

Oh and yes, I genuinely believe his goals kept us up, in the same way as his lack of goals has seen us bottom, but we need to play to his strengths.

Hes a one trick pony and his value is much diminished. I think the seriousness of his injurry has effectively reduced his effectiveness permanently and he will never recover the same level of form...should have sold him when we had the chance. Will be lucky to get 1.5 million for him now.

I have literally never seen you have one positive thing to say. Have you seen your GP recently?

I don't think he's a poor striker. He's an exceptional finisher whose all round game is overrated. When he doesn't score he is a bit pointless whereas someone like Pitman can contribute more than just goals. Maynard returning of course gave us a boost and he looked very sharp when he came back from injury. However he was not the reason we stayed up. Our good form had started before that with the exceptional win at Deepdale where Clarkson excelled. We also finished the season strongly with Stead and Pitman up top following Maynard's three game ban. We didn't win in 4 games leading up to the ban either in which Maynard started all of them. These are also facts.

Yes Maynard's return helped us last season but his goals did not single-handedly keep us up. To say so is hugely disrespectful to Pitman, Stead, Adomah and Caulker in particular and just isn't true.

Despite the efforts of Pitman, Stead, Adomah and Caulker, we were still facing relegation.

Then Maynard comes in, and scores his goals that takes us away from the horrible situation we were in.

I maintain without those goals we were going down.

Despite the efforts of Pitman, Stead, Adomah and Caulker, we were still facing relegation.

Then Maynard comes in, and scores his goals that takes us away from the horrible situation we were in.

I maintain without those goals we were going down.

Agreed, get a manager he wants to play for and who also gets us playing joined up football again and watch what happens...

This man speaketh the truth.

Basically Maynard is a good player going through a poor patch and we're not in the position to let someone doing that be an automatic starter every week.

Archived