IGNORED

Proud

Esmond Million's Bung

Fine to have a second team when you are a little kid but to still be doing it as an adult

suggests that you have a life that is seriously lacking in personal achievement.

It's glory hunting pure and simple - nobody ever supports a crap second team do they? If I met someone who said 'I support City and St Johnstone' fair play after recent events, but 'I support City and Man Utd' - sorry but no. You are kidding nobody!

wow.:facepalm:

Fine to have a second team when you are a little kid but to still be doing it as an adult

suggests that you have a life that is seriously lacking in personal achievement.

It's glory hunting pure and simple - nobody ever supports a crap second team do they? If I met someone who said 'I support City and St Johnstone' fair play after recent events, but 'I support City and Man Utd' - sorry but no. You are kidding nobody!

Good sentiment. I support city, I will follow spurs and Liverpool's results with interest, because as a nipper I supported them, until my dad showed me the error of my ways. But I don't support them, I don't get annoyed when they lose.

Imo you cannot fanatically support 2 clubs. Things just do not work like that. If you did who would you support if they played each other. If you can choose that tells you who you actually support. If you can't fair play, then you actually do support 2 teams

What a mad statement!

What if you were brought up in bristol, then moved to manchester? then its understandable.

See my earlier post. After City I support Everton. Nuff said.

Yep!

Irritates me when people cheer in BS3, when there is goal on the telly

Where i was brought up in Chepstow,in all fairness.I get the whole discussion you're on.But the only shirts we'd ever see is Cardiff/Bristol City.Get the odd Sheffield teams because of the army barracks.But when it came to other shirts such as Man Utd/Arsenal you'd get none of it.Mainly because the main sport is Eggchasing! :violin:

Oh dear...don't you get that some people might actually love FOOTBALL irrespective of who is playing??

You can appreciate good football, and good football teams, without actually cheering a goal from a team you don't support.

It's the cheering that gets people, being apparently emotionally involved with teams that have nothing to do with Bristol.

You can be pleased Man.Utd/Liverpool have scored because you dislike the other team more, but cheering for joy and celebrating loudly just because they've scored?bruce_h4h.gif

Cheering other teams for me is reserved for England, English teams in European Cup Finals, and, of course, any team playing the gas.

The first time I saw City play was at the gate 3rd Div. south 1952 versus Newport County; I was 12. Last week, I was playing cribbage for my pub team and one of the opposition, about same age as me, remarked that he is, was and always had been a Newport County fan. How's that for dedication. Here in West Dorset where all the kids should follow Yeovil, Exeter or Bournemouth, I've yet to find a single one who professes even a kinship with any of them. Me, City all my life, even when living away from the ancestral home And so it should be!

Spot on!

I can understand people having a second team like Bath City or Forest Green as they are local sides but its funny how no one ever seems to have teams like Hartlepool or Rochdale as their second team. Always seems to be a Premier League side :blink: .

What really pisses me off is people who dont even follow their local side but claim to support teams like Man Utd or Newcastle even though they have never seen them play live in their life. I knew a lad who was a 'fanatic' Sheffield Wednesday supporter when they were in the top flight and getting to cup finals. For years he took great pleasure telling me how rubbish City were whilst wearing his replica shirt with pride (never even been to Sheffield as far as I know). Dropped them like a sack of sh*t as soon as they got relegated though......COCK!!, probably supports Chelsea now. :dunno:

You can appreciate good football, and good football teams, without actually cheering a goal from a team you don't support.

It's the cheering that gets people, being apparently emotionally involved with teams that have nothing to do with Bristol.

You can be pleased Man.Utd/Liverpool have scored because you dislike the other team more, but cheering for joy and celebrating loudly just because they've scored?bruce_h4h.gif

Cheering other teams for me is reserved for England, English teams in European Cup Finals, and, of course, any team playing the gas.

By the same token though...how do you know everybody's 'story' as to why they may be cheering??

Mine is...and it's why I won't judge anyone...I was born in Liverpool hence a love of the Reds, moved down to Bristol around 10 years old. I went to my first game at the gate in 1973. My love for City is unquestionable and I worked for the club during the eighties, during the bad times, trying to generate as much cash income for the club as possible. The amount of people that deserted the club then makes something of a mockery of a 'proud' thread but that's digressing a little, although I am PROUD of supporting a club that I am not entitled to support because I was born elsewhere? I support two teams and always will...City have been a massive part of my life for almost 40 years. Who did I support when City played Liverpool in the FACup?...CITY

Nothing wrong with having a passing interest in another club. Like a lot of people who grew up in this part of Somerset, I follow Yeovil's fortunes, want them to do well - and have even been to Huish Park on occasions.

No conflict as to who I was cheering back when we used to meet them in the league, I'm CTID.

"Come on you reds" is one of the first sentences my kids learned to say! biggrin.gif

By the same token though...how do you know everybody's 'story' as to why they may be cheering??

Mine is...and it's why I won't judge anyone...I was born in Liverpool hence a love of the Reds, moved down to Bristol around 10 years old. I went to my first game at the gate in 1973. My love for City is unquestionable and I worked for the club during the eighties, during the bad times, trying to generate as much cash income for the club as possible. The amount of people that deserted the club then makes something of a mockery of a 'proud' thread but that's digressing a little, although I am PROUD of supporting a club that I am not entitled to support because I was born elsewhere? I support two teams and always will...City have been a massive part of my life for almost 40 years. Who did I support when City played Liverpool in the FACup?...CITY

I take your point but it's very unlikely many of those cheering had the genuine connection with either team that you, and perhaps one or two others, had.

By the way I supported City all through the decline of the early 80's and maybe the others who are criticising on this thread did too.

Archived