IGNORED

City V Stoke - Off The Field

22A

August 1976 City's first home game back in the top division was against Stoke City.

During the following years both clubs dropped down the League and in April 2000 the two clubs now in what used to be division three met at Wembley for the final of the AW Shield.

That season Stoke finished 6th but failed in the playoffs. The next year they were fifth and again failed in the play offs. 2001-02 they were 5th again, but did go up in the P/Os.

It was another 5 years before City won auto promotion and then played Stoke in the league during 07-08. City made the P/O final, Stoke went up to the Prem automatically.

40 months later Stoke are playting in Europe whilst City are foot of the Championship

Stoke on Trent total population of the city is 240,636 whilst Bristol currently has 421,300 inhabitants. Stoke and Bristol both have two League teams and Pulis has been Manager of both City clubs. I realise all clubs go up and down, but what have Stoke done that City didn'nt that results in the club's current positions?; I'll accept they received some money when they allowed their new ground to bear the name of a Building society, but there must be more to it than that. :dunno:

I think Stoke is the perfect comparison to where we should be/should be aiming as a club.

The old Victoria ground was falling down, Port Vale caught them up at one stage,

but they have moved on to a level we can only dream about.

It's what a new stadium can kick start, but only hand in hand with success.

Hate Stoke, hate Pulis, hate Delilah, but wouldn't we love to be where they are?

August 1976 City's first home game back in the top division was against Stoke City.

During the following years both clubs dropped down the League and in April 2000 the two clubs now in what used to be division three met at Wembley for the final of the AW Shield.

That season Stoke finished 6th but failed in the playoffs. The next year they were fifth and again failed in the play offs. 2001-02 they were 5th again, but did go up in the P/Os.

It was another 5 years before City won auto promotion and then played Stoke in the league during 07-08. City made the P/O final, Stoke went up to the Prem automatically.

40 months later Stoke are playting in Europe whilst City are foot of the Championship

Stoke on Trent total population of the city is 240,636 whilst Bristol currently has 421,300 inhabitants. Stoke and Bristol both have two League teams and Pulis has been Manager of both City clubs. I realise all clubs go up and down, but what have Stoke done that City didn'nt that results in the club's current positions?; I'll accept they received some money when they allowed their new ground to bear the name of a Building society, but there must be more to it than that. :dunno:

Actually the stadium was funded partly by the BS and partly by the Council, Stoke City actually rented it until a couple of years ago when they bought it at a much reduced price.

I quite like Stoke, lived with a few Stoke lads when i worked in Aiya Napa a few years back got on really well with them , a mainly working class City (like many areas of south Bristol) with fans that fair play couldnt get a f0ok what people think about there team or there City.

I wouldn't be fooled though, Stoke in reality are no bigger than us. For years they struggled to average anymore than 13/14 k at the Britannia. Had a smash and grab season in 07/08 and went up in a pretty poor Championship that year, something we almost did.. Fair play what they have done since has been a good achievment, but i think SL would be prepared to pump in the money aswell if he knew we had a chance of European football if we went up and estbalished ourselves..

We are not a million miles away at all hough IMO, it may seem like we are at the moment be we arn't. New stadium, decent manager with bright ideas and we may well get it right that one year and go up. Only thing i worry about in Bristol is the passion for the game, we dont seem to get the bug like Stoke and other especially Northen City's do. I will hold my hands up and admitt im guilty of it havnt been to many games at all the last yea or so just lost interest, the Stoke lads in Cyprus i meet used to go home and away religiously spending there last penny on it, i find that madness but maybe thats why we dont have the big attendences we should have..

s*it place, horrible fans, horrible team who despite their success are the most boring team ever, most of their players are horrible f*ckers and let me know if they ever score from anything other than a dead ball situation, oh, and Pulis.

So really no other reason than they are everything we would love to be and be happy for other teams fans to think about us and our players ? Sorry but you can see you hate them so much because your jealous of them !

New Stadium.

Actually in our first NPC season we were top with five games to go. As usual with Johnsons teams we went to Stoke and played cautiously until 2-0 down. Only then did we show any desire and almost came back to pinch a result. It happened all too often.

I don't hate Stoke - just don't care about them. I don't recall any history of players being transferred to/from either club. Ronnie Sinclair perhaps? Dennis Smith of course has a history with both clubs.

I follow Stoke quite closely and watch them a few times a season thanks to my wife and inlaws being fans.

I don't think they done a lot different to us in their promotion season, that last time we played them was probably the difference, they won it, got the momentum and went up we lost the match lost momentum and lost in the PO final.

Earlier in that season they were getting smaller crowds than us and were moaning about Pullis more than we do.

At the end of the day we've never been a lucky club, in fact I would say that season was the most luck I've ever seen City get in a season.

Anyway in December I'll be watching Derby v City on the Saturday and Stoke v Spurs on the Sunday wondering what might of been.

Stoke were relegated, gates dropped below the Victoria ground and they got bought out by new onwers.

Stoke fans hate the Britannia Stadium and still pine after the Victoria Ground.

Listening to phone ins Arsenal fans can't stand the lack of atmosphere at the Emirates either and wished they'd stayed at Highbury, where they feel they would have been more successful ON the pitch in the last few years.

Stoke have momentum at the moment and are doing well enough to get crowds in and successful enough for their games to retain a good atmosphere.

It won't go on forever though and it will be interesting to see their gates, and the mood at the Britannia, when they struggle for a season or two.

Random?

I think he's referring to the aforementioned first home game back in the top flight.

Shilton was in a challenge with Paul Cheesley, who days earlier had torn Arsenal to shreds in our opening fixture at Highbury, which we won 1-0. There was even mention of an England call up.

Cheesley badly injured his knee and never played top flight football again.

From that day on Shilton had a torrid time from our fans and ironically his rival for the England jersey at the time, Ray Clemence, always got a great reception at the Gate, which seemed to bemuse him at times.

So really no other reason than they are everything we would love to be and be happy for other teams fans to think about us and our players ? Sorry but you can see you hate them so much because your jealous of them !

No i am not jealous, i am a proud Bristolian and will be until the day i die, regardless of where Stoke are, i don't care if we end up playing Lebeq Tavern and they are playing away to Barcelona, i would rather be following BRISTOL CITY.

My best friend is from Stoke, when I visit her (we never stay in Stoke) it is like travelling back in time. Quite a gray place, however the people are very loyal to it and the club.

I always preferred Vale of the two though, my friend says she used to be a vale fan but now its all Stoke. So like a lot of clubs they have hangers on.

Far to many EDL chumps at the club and in the City too.

Archived