IGNORED

Leroy Rosenior Article...

spudski

Did anyone else read LR's Article in the BEP this week?

We've all said...'Why is it, that BCFC as a Club haven't been successful?'...and that 'Bristol as a City is too nice'...and 'Bristol is apathetic'.

Well, it was intersting to read from a former BCFC player, that he too agreed.

He mentioned, that Bristol was too nice a City for a Footballer to live in. That turning up for training at Failand, was a nice drive, no traffic jams, and that it was easy to switch off and not think about football. He said players start to think about other things, and Football doesn't become the 'be all and end all'.

He mentioned, that for any manager, it would be especially hard to motivate the players.

Something we've all thought and said...

I wonder how we could change things.

tbh...it seems the same for any Football Club that is in a 'Nice' area to live. Especially if you are in the Country or near the South Coast.

My grandad used to watch City from the 1920's until he died in 1960's. My mum always quotes him saying we lacked the 'killer instinct'. I don't know if that is true as I wasn't there, but there are plenty of theories to why we haven't been as successful as other smaller clubs. Hopefully we can gain that 'instinct' from the new management.

Don't take his words literally, but look into the sentiment.

It's not Rocket Science to see across the Country, that football Clubs like ourselves and in similar areas to ourself, have been less successful throughout their History.

You only have to look at the amount of Teams, many smaller by comparison, from very Industrial working class areas that have a fantastic record.

In recent History...Look at Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton.

Look at a Map of the UK, and you will generally find that Football Clubs in the South West, South Coast and generally 'Nice' areas to live, are far less successfull than their counterparts elsewhere. Take away London Clubs, and there is definately a higher success rate at Clubs from traditional working Class Industrial Towns.

Maybe something in it...who knows?

Yep! Draw a line from Birmingham to London. Anywhere South of that line is not a major football place.

Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, City, Rovers, Yeovil, Swindon, Oxford, Reading, Gillingham, Maidstone (briefly in League), Saints, Pompey, Aldershot, Bournemouth and the Devon trio. On the othr hand, Workington & Barrow aren't "nice areas" and their clubs didn't do much when in the League and Hartlepool met us in the play off semis some years ago. That was their highest ever finish. Theoretically though; Middleborough should be the country's top team and Barcelona with it's cathedral & attractive sites, should be lower down the Spanish league.

Hey you, Why Southmead,

whats wrong with southmead. Who are you to judge Southmead, quite insolent. so before you delete this and maybe ban me i suggest you look at your narrow minded remarks and crawl into your hole. nothing wrong with Southmead ..too many authoritised a** Holes on this forum that the highlight of their day is deleting someones opinion

Southmead's a shithole

Red colin says Rosenior refers to the supporters and not necessarily the players being affected in their loyalty or playing determination respectively. Not having read it I cannot comment on the correlation between the two, however, i will just say that i doubt many players spend all that much time living in places like Wigan or Burnley or Blackburn. They probably live in places like Alderley Edge.

Archived