IGNORED

Coppell, New Pompey Manager?

Carey 6

Because i'm a Football fan and not blinkered by the Spin that you so readily believe. Just because BCFC say so...?

How the hell did Coppell mislead the Club? It's all Spin to appease fans...Can't you see that? Football is just like any other big business and just as much full of Bollox as Politicians spout. The whole SC, SL, BCFC scenario, was swept under the carpet, never to get spoken about. To be forgotten and never spoken of. Think about it for a moment.

Well, you don't know the answers to why Coppell bombed out any more than I do, but one thing we can both say for sure is that he has form for it and at the very least it was desperately unprofessional behaviour.

I think the club is as happy to forget the unhappy episode, as we are. As you correctly say, it doesn't reflect very well on the board who appointed an - in my view - mentally ill manager.

Well, you don't know the answers to why Coppell bombed out any more than I do, but one thing we can both say for sure is that he has form for it and at the very least it was desperately unprofessional behaviour.

I think the club is as happy to forget the unhappy episode, as we are. As you correctly say, it doesn't reflect very well on the board who appointed an - in my view - mentally ill manager.

With Respect... I disagree. For me, In theory Steve Coppell was the best appointment this Club has ever made. SL got that right. You only have to speak to people in the game, to know how highly respected SC is. His managerial record is good. He left Man City early just like here, but has been a success everywhere else. I have reason to believe, I know the real reason SC left this Club, and i won't be baited into revealing it on here. I know someone in the game who knows him well, and i have no reason to disbelieve what he has told me, because everything else he has told me has been true. Put it this way... if SL wanted the same success as Madjeski, then he should have gone about it the same way as Madjeski. He knew that at Interview stage.

In reply to Martyn Hocking, I never said GJ was a bad appointment. He got us up there...but we held onto him too long, as we have done with others. Knowing when to let go is half the battle. SL has said he let his heart rule his head. It's been a common denominator at this Club.

I assume your referring to your obvious agenda to beat SL with any stick you can get your hands on?

Not really...just trying to put into perspective what has happened at our Club. Everyone to a man it seemed abused Km, but SL and the board never got any stick. Just trying to level out the playing field. I've no anomosity with SL. I think he is a great bloke, but as he has said himself, he's made mistakes. Those mistakes have been costly, both financially and Football wise. I think SL stepping down is good, as imho, he's too loyal and too nice. Needs to be ruthless more just like in business.

Hopefully our New Board will kick on.

I have no agenda, I want the best for this Club, but i'm my own man, not a Lemming, don't suffer fools and make my own decisions.

I've just thought about it for a moment as you suggested.

And taking into account and discounting the conspiracy theories and internet stories about his "holidays" and the like, I've come to the conclusion that he's just a regular gobshite who'll walk away from a challenge rather than meet it head on.

And there speaks a man in the know...Look at his Managerial Record.

I think you find respect has to be earned, old chap. And what precisely did Coppell do to earn it? He mislead the club and condemned the supporters to a chaotic and deeply unsatisfying season.

I don't obsess about the man, but I find it a bit rich that a bloke who had to leave football because he was so-called bored of it in 2010 has suddenly touted himself for a variety of jobs in the game, just a year later.

As for a previous poster wishing him success at Portsmouth, a direct rival to us, words fail me that someone who calls himself a BCFC fan could write that!

maybe you misinterpretutated in what I had meant by respect of Coppell, I'm not saying if he becomes the pompey manager that I'd cheer him in fact I'd of course boo him but I do not see why there is so much bitterness for him or want vengance for such little he did at our club.

I don't see everyone being angry at GJ for not leaving earlier in the season if Millen hadn't done so well as Caretaker manager.we may well of had bitter sweet memories of the sucess of GJ as manager at city( I wouldn't of though just for the record)

Also would like to add where you say he has touted himself for a variety of jobs you may well be right but mostly it's just the bookies for example Curbishley has been touted with every championship/Premier League manager vancancy since leaving Charlton many moons ago!

maybe you misinterpretutated in what I had meant by respect of Coppell, I'm not saying if he becomes the pompey manager that I'd cheer him in fact I'd of course boo him but I do not see why there is so much bitterness for him or want vengance for such little he did at our club.

I don't see everyone being angry at GJ for not leaving earlier in the season if Millen hadn't done so well as Caretaker manager.we may well of had bitter sweet memories of the sucess of GJ as manager at city( I wouldn't of though just for the record)

Also would like to add where you say he has touted himself for a variety of jobs you may well be right but mostly it's just the bookies for example Curbishley has been touted with every championship/Premier League manager vancancy since leaving Charlton many moons ago!

You'd think he [Curbs] wouldn't need another job, what with his Clifton property empire! laughcont.gif

Maybe, we are on the same wavelength. I just reckon, that whatever his motives, running out on a job is very unprofessional behaviour. Coppell has done nothing to earn the respect of Bristol City fans - and he'll get none if ever he shows his face here again.

Oh what a totally vindictive bunch we are....At the end of the day I dont doubt that Coppell would have made a success of City had he been given the funds. I wouldnt mind wagering the same people who vilify him now are those same people who welcomed his appointment with open arms and incredulity that SL could pull of such a coup....As for the utterly inane comment that one couldnt be a city supporter and not wish someone well in an opposition appointment is just an utterly ridiculous load of immature clap trap.

How I wonder would all these acidic posters react if it were hypothetically revealed that Coppell had left because he had been diagnosed with a malignancy or other serious illness...would you all wish ill of him then.

Coppell had his reasons for leaving City, why we shall never know but how the hell can he be blamed for cocking up Cities season 2 games into 50 odd.

All said and done If Coppell does take the Job ( which personally I doubt he will ) If he comes back here with Pompey and puts 5 past us that says more about his skills as a Manager than that of our current incumbant.

Ultimately I dont suppose for one minute Coppell could really give a toss about the thoughts of acrimonious and vexatious disgruntled City fans. How shallow the human spirit has sunken to wish ill of such a great abassador for the game over such a inconsequential issue....

"Neh Neh He left our club and Im not playing any more, its my ball and im going home" Never read so many childish spitefull comments.

Oh what a totally vindictive bunch we are....At the end of the day I dont doubt that Coppell would have made a success of City had he been given the funds. I wouldnt mind wagering the same people who vilify him now are those same people who welcomed his appointment with open arms and incredulity that SL could pull of such a coup....As for the utterly inane comment that one couldnt be a city supporter and not wish someone well in an opposition appointment is just an utterly ridiculous load of immature clap trap.

How I wonder would all these acidic posters react if it were hypothetically revealed that Coppell had left because he had been diagnosed with a malignancy or other serious illness...would you all wish ill of him then.

Coppell had his reasons for leaving City, why we shall never know but how the hell can he be blamed for cocking up Cities season 2 games into 50 odd.

All said and done If Coppell does take the Job ( which personally I doubt he will ) If he comes back here with Pompey and puts 5 past us that says more about his skills as a Manager than that of our current incumbant.

Ultimately I dont suppose for one minute Coppell could really give a toss about the thoughts of acrimonious and vexatious disgruntled City fans. How shallow the human spirit has sunken to wish ill of such a great abassador for the game over such a inconsequential issue....

"Neh Neh He left our club and Im not playing any more, its my ball and im going home" Never read so many childish spitefull comments.

For someone who professes to know so much about football surely you can see that the mediocre pre season, wasting of money and awful use of the majority of the transfer window put us back several months.

Then again, you think Ribeiro would interest Birmingham and that he is the saviour....

You're a more forgiving man than me, Dave.

See, the speed of his departure and the fact that he never exactly looked up for the job suggests to me he knew something was amiss before he took it and therefore he should never have put pen to paper. I think it was utterly wrong and cowardly to mislead his new employer and the fans of this club in the way he did.

His disastrous tenure and the shock of his resignation really c-nted up our last season, leading - among other things - to the rushed decision to appoint Millen, a man whose feet are firmly on the ground and whose idea of risk-taking is to eat an After Eight mint at 7.55.

I feel I'm owed the price of last season's ticket by Coppell. I hope they carry him out of Fratton Park in a straight jacket.

Haha mate, that is absolute class, made me laugh out loud, Brilliant !!!!!

For someone who professes to know so much about football surely you can see that the mediocre pre season, wasting of money and awful use of the majority of the transfer window put us back several months.

Then again, you think Ribeiro would interest Birmingham and that he is the saviour....

Jordan you are like Nasal Hair intensley annoying and difficult to get rid of. Your posts aimed at me, are both immature and ill conceived.

I know categorically that Birmingham have shown keen interest in Ribeiro a previous member of the BC staff told me this personally while partially inhebriated at a Sporting function recently before he left his position.

I appreciate you dont rate Ribeiro, however I suspect he is a significantly better footballer than you will ever be. As a BC fan cant you even wish him well and thank him for 11 years of exemplary service to the Club you allegedly love. ?

Please dont bother posting a retaliatory retort for now wait a while until you grow up.....that will be when you discover pubic hair growing on your nuts ...that assuming you have some of course.

Bye for now.

Jordan you are like Nasal Hair intensley annoying and difficult to get rid of. Your posts aimed at me, are both immature and ill conceived.

I know categorically that Birmingham have shown keen interest in Ribeiro a previous member of the BC staff told me this personally while partially inhebriated at a Sporting function recently before he left his position.

I appreciate you dont rate Ribeiro, however I suspect he is a significantly better footballer than you will ever be. As a BC fan cant you even wish him well and thank him for 11 years of exemplary service to the Club you allegedly love. ?

Please dont bother posting a retaliatory retort for now wait a while until you grow up.....that will be when you discover pubic hair growing on your nuts ...that assuming you have some of course.

Bye for now.

N'aww, I like how those who accuse me of being immature always resort to that response, so funny and hilariously ironic.

I have never in my life said I do not rate the guy, I will not however describe his service to the club as exemplary. He has achieved the square root of nothing in football so far which is why I mock your worrying loyalty to the boy. Only a relative, stalker or lover would defend him the way you do. He did fantastically well three seasons ago for 10 games or so, I thougt he would be the answer to our defensive frailties.. alas he is the frailest footballer we've had in years, mentally and physically if the club are to be believed.

But, back to Coppell. Pre-season, wasted funds, shit signings and valuable time in the transfer market gone. How can you say he was not a massively negative influence on this club when all of the above are true?

Coppell also signed 5 players.4 of which are on huge first team wages. He was backed and he ****** it up because he is clueless without Hammond.

Coppell is a complete ****.

Coppell left a JOB for what ever reason. Are people not allowed to leave JOBS anymore?

Some people are so naive. Being involved in football from the outside world may seem rosy and fantastic but its a means to paying bills and surviving just like the rest of us do 5 days a week. If your not happy your not happy just like if you worked in an office and were not happy Jordan, im sure you would walk out aswell.. It really really isn't different. I dont look at him as a **** at all to be honest but there you go we are all entitled to our opinons :)

I was one of those that welcomed the appointment. I genuinely thought he would have been the perfect choice given his track record. However, he did have very reasonable funds available (for a team of our stature who are losing millions each year). He wasted much of it on high wages for Hunt and Stewart (as for DJ, we'll perhaps never know the truth, but I can't believe that he was signed over his head). He may or may not have been a success, but it is clear that he set the club back by walking out after wasting a full pre-season and bringing in players that by no fault of his own didn't feature in the next manager's plans.

It's possible that this could be the case. A mate of mine confirmed he is a manic depressive. He still took the job on though and showed very little committment from the start. I'm glad he quit as early as he did, if he believed he couldn't do a job, but shouldn't have taken it on in the first place if he had any doubts.

Pre-season wasted, brought in players that weren't any better than we had leaving very little in the way of spare cash, destroyed confidence of players by quitting so early, etc ....

I think you have a fair point that vilification of Coppell has gone too far, but come Pompey away (if he does get the job), he will definitely get some stick from me. Anyway, glad his shambolic period here is over and we now have a great up and coming manager who I think will do a great job here. :winner_third_h4h:

P.S. FanaticRed is back, so no need to wind up Mr Tansley. :D

N'aww, I like how those who accuse me of being immature always resort to that response, so funny and hilariously ironic.

I have never in my life said I do not rate the guy, I will not however describe his service to the club as exemplary. He has achieved the square root of nothing in football so far which is why I mock your worrying loyalty to the boy. Only a relative, stalker or lover would defend him the way you do. He did fantastically well three seasons ago for 10 games or so, I thougt he would be the answer to our defensive frailties.. alas he is the frailest footballer we've had in years, mentally and physically if the club are to be believed.

But, back to Coppell. Pre-season, wasted funds, shit signings and valuable time in the transfer market gone. How can you say he was not a massively negative influence on this club when all of the above are true?

OK Jordan my friend im not a vindictive man..i will offer you an Olive Branch..

How can you possibly say though that Ribeiro has achieved nothing. Nurtured by City since he was 10... an Ambassador for his club at International level U 17 U19 U21 and full International level. Turns up and does whats asked of him week in week out, doesnt have an extravagent lifestyle, drink or run a expensive Marque ( so it seems) Is articulate and always speaks well of BCFC whenever he is interviewed....Hes the sort of Player any Club would want..... And no I am not related to him or connected to him...i just think that he is one of the best prospects we have produced through the youth system in the last 10 years and still has potential which should be persevered with.

He may not make it, he may break down against Exeter this week ..who knows but I for one hope that he forges a career in football and if that is with City so much the better. If its with a another Championship club then I will see it as Cities loss.

OK Jordan my friend im not a vindictive man..i will offer you an Olive Branch..

How can you possibly say though that Ribeiro has achieved nothing. Nurtured by City since he was 10... an Ambassador for his club at International level U 17 U19 U21 and full International level. Turns up and does whats asked of him week in week out, doesnt have an extravagent lifestyle, drink or run a expensive Marque ( so it seems) Is articulate and always speaks well of BCFC whenever he is interviewed....Hes the sort of Player any Club would want..... And no I am not related to him or connected to him...i just think that he is one of the best prospects we have produced through the youth system in the last 10 years and still has potential which should be persevered with.

He may not make it, he may break down against Exeter this week ..who knows but I for one hope that he forges a career in football and if that is with City so much the better. If its with a another Championship club then I will see it as Cities loss.

I agree with all you say about him being a brilliant prospect, but he has not developed. He is weak and that counts for a lot, you could be better than messi, but if you're made of chalk you're never going to amount to anything. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just cannot see him having a career at the top level. He is a drain on resources at the moment, that's harsh as hell... But unfortunately, it's true.

Please answer my question regarding Coppell, you know you want to! ;)

A reminder...A Massive cover up, and as implied Km was installed immediatley to stop any sceptism. It worked a treat as everyone started to focus on him and DJ rather than SC. A very clever move by SL.

All i know is, i would rather have had SC here over the past season than DJ. Perhaps SL should have kept his thoughts to himself...And let SC get on with the job in hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302802/Bristol-insist-Steve-Coppell-did-quit-David-James.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302646/Ive-lost-passion-Steve-Coppell-quits-post-Bristol-City-manager-just-112-days.html

Ha ha, at the end of the day if people don't like the man, they don't like him! people are more than entitled to have a winge, look what happened during/after coppell left, certainly didn't do the club any favours!

Thank you. The voice of reason.

I don't care that he achieved great things at Palace or Reading because I don't support either of those clubs. He achieved f-ck all here and in fact set us back enormously, so I don't like the man.

To wish he does well at a relegation stakes rival club is ludicrous. Just not being a supporter IMO.

If the conspiracy theory is that Lansdown somehow sabotaged a potentially brilliant manager I still don't buy it because Steve Lansdown has done more for this club than any director since Harry Dolman. If Coppell couldn't work with the existing regime then he should never have signed a contract with us. As simple as....

Thank you. The voice of reason.

I don't care that he achieved great things at Palace or Reading because I don't support either of those clubs. He achieved f-ck all here and in fact set us back enormously, so I don't like the man.

To wish he does well at a relegation stakes rival club is ludicrous. Just not being a supporter IMO.

If the conspiracy theory is that Lansdown somehow sabotaged a potentially brilliant manager I still don't buy it because Steve Lansdown has done more for this club than any director since Harry Dolman. If Coppell couldn't work with the existing regime then he should never have signed a contract with us. As simple as....

Unbelievable... Why do you think SL chased him so hard in the first place? Because of what he had achieved at Palace and Reading. The biggest factor that set this Club back, was not SC leaving, but SL having a knee jerk reaction and installing an unproven manager in KM at the helm. From the sublime to the ridiculous...

As for being a Supporter...your ideas are beyond all reason. Blinkered imho. All Club owners and players wish the best for their fellow Professionals, does that not make them loyal and Supporters also? Loaning players out to other Clubs...does that not also help our opposition? Think about it.

SL has done a lot for this Club, but even he has admitted he's made mistakes, one of the reasons he stood down as Chairman.

As for working with the existing regime, what is promised at Interview stage doesn't nessesarily always materialise. Some things are said to get you on board. It happens in every business.

People were jumping around with joy when SL appointed him, as we all knew he was a great Coup for this Club, based on his past achievments. People then turn on him, because he walked away...They don't know the real reasons why, but base their 'hatred' purely on that...which is ludicrous.

If fans knew half the things that go on a Football Clubs, their own feelings would change drastically. It's being called left in the dark. What we don't know, doesn't hurt.

Honestly...Football fans do themselves no favours, with their neolithic logic and pack mentality. No wonder we are all treated like Cattle. You only have to read this forum.

Archived